Author Topic: Common Discussion  (Read 33281 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Common Discussion
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 12:55:31 PM »
Friends,
An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Redeeming power of faith

A DEVOTEE: "Sir, is there no help, then, for such a worldly person?"

MASTER: "Certainly there is. From time to time he should live in the company of holy
men, and from time to time go into solitude to meditate on God. Furthermore, he should
practise discrimination and pray to God, 'Give me faith and devotion.' Once a person has
faith he has achieved everything. There is nothing greater than faith.

(To Kedar) "You must have heard about the tremendous power of faith. It is said in the
purana that Rama, who was God Himself - the embodiment of Absolute Brahman - had to
build a bridge to cross the sea to Ceylon. But Hanuman, trusting in Rama's name, cleared
the sea in one jump and reached the other side. He had no need of a bridge. (All laugh)
"Once a man was about to cross the sea. Bibhishana wrote Rama's name on a leaf, tied it in
a corner of the man's wearing-cloth, and said to him: 'Don't be afraid. Have faith and walk
on the water. But look here - the moment you lose faith you will be drowned.' The man was
walking easily on the water. Suddenly he had an intense desire to see what was tied in his
cloth. He opened it and found only a leaf with the name of Rama written on it. 'What is
this?' he thought. 'Just the name of Rama!' As soon as doubt entered his mind he sank under
the water.

"If a man has faith in God, then even if he has committed the most heinous sins - such as
killing a cow, a brahmin, or a woman - he will certainly be saved through his faith. Let him
only say to God, 'O Lord, I Will not repeat such an action', and he need not be afraid of
anything."

Namaskar

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »
One who has Sraddha is patient;One who is a fanatic is impatient.There is a world of a difference between the two.
One who has Sraddha is concerned with the wellbeing of others;one who is a fanatic is only motivated to further his clan.

ravi garu,

based on your above quotes you mean lord krishna is impatient because he encouraged war between pandavas and kauravas?

you mean all soldiers are all impatient as they are engaging their duty to save their country?

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 01:04:51 PM »
Prashant,
No.They are obligated to be doing what they did.This is not faith.
Best Regards...Ravi

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 01:39:36 PM »
Dear Ravi,

Yes. There is nothing greater than sraddha and faith in matters spiritual or material.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 10:01:15 PM »
 Dear Sri Beloved_Abstract,

:D occasionally, even you turn up to present your story updates :D and am sure, it will continue for some more time, still!

there is no escape, for sharing stories (karmas) until the mind is completely dissolved! :)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 03:16:08 PM »
Thanks for such beautiful picture too, Sri Jewel! one of the most beautiful pictures of the Master. Thank you. This is special for me, because, I grasp more through picture than words. This picture conveys a lot!

“Only two kinds of people can attain self-knowledge:
those who are not encumbered at all with learning,
that is to say, whose minds are not over-crowded
with thoughts borrowed from others; and those who,
after studying all the scriptures and sciences,
have come to realise that they know nothing.”

Sri Ramakrishna Paramhansa
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:21:34 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »
Nagaraj,
There is this interesting story on this photograph of the Master;I am copying it from what I posted in David's Blog:

The story behind the commonly seen photograph of Sri Ramakrishna in a seated pose goes like this:
This picture was taken in front of the RadhAkAnta temple at Dakshineswar in 1884, when Sri Ramakrishna was 48 years old. According to Swami Nirvanananda, "Bhavanath Chatterjee, the Master’s devotee from Baranagore, wanted to take a photograph of the Master. One day he requested him very strongly to give his consent, and on the afternoon of the next day brought a photographer along with him from Baranagore. He could not make the Master agree. The Master just went away, to the RadhAkAnta [Krishna] temple.

"In the meantime Narendra arrived on the scene and heard everything; he said, ‘Wait a bit. I shall put everything straight.’ Saying this, he went to the veranda to the west of the Radhakanta temple where Sri Ramakrishna was sitting and started a religious conversation with him. The Master went into samadhi. Narendra went and called the others and ordered them to get ready quickly to take the picture.

"In the state of samadhi the Master’s body was bent on one side and therefore the cameraman went to make him sit erect by softly adjusting his chin. But as soon as he touched his chin the whole body of the Master came up like a piece of paper - so light it was!

"Swamiji then told him, ‘Oh, what are you doing? Be quick. Get the camera ready.’ The cameraman took the exposure as hurriedly as possible. The Master was completely unaware of this incident.
Swami Vishuddhananda stated that when Sri Ramakrishna saw the photo he went into ecstasy and touched the photo to his head several times, saying: "The photo is nicely taken. This mood is very high - fully merged in Him. Here the Lord is fully depicted in his own nature."

The following is a quotation from Sri Sarada Devi: The Holy Mother, (p. 416) concerning one of the prints of this photograph:

"Disciple: Mother, that photograph of Sri Ramakrishna which you have with you is a very good one. One feels it when one sees the picture. Well, is that a good likeness of the Master?

"Mother: Yes, that picture is very, very good. It originally belonged to a brahmin cook. Several prints were made of his first photograph. The brahmin took one of them. The picture was at first very dark, just like the image of Kali. Therefore it was given to the Brahmin. When he left Dakshineswar for some place - I do not remember where - he gave it to me. I kept the photograph with the pictures of other gods and goddesses and worshipped it. At one time I lived on the ground floor of the nahabat. One day the Master came there, and at the sight of the picture he said, ‘Hello, what is all this?’ Lakshmi and I had been cooking under the staircase. Then I saw the Master take in his hand the bel leaves and flowers kept there for worship, and offer them to the photograph. This is the same picture. That brahmin never returned, so the picture remained with me."

This picture which Sri Ramakrishna worshipped is now on the shrine at the Udbodhan Office in Calcutta, where it is worshipped daily."

Namaskar

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 05:09:19 PM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj,

Yes,the pictures can convey much indeed. Even more than words. And,there is symply beauty to watch them.  :)

With love and prayers,

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »
Nagaraj,
There is this interesting story on this photograph of the Master;I am copying it from what I posted in David's Blog:

The story behind the commonly seen photograph of Sri Ramakrishna in a seated pose goes like this:
This picture was taken in front of the RadhAkAnta temple at Dakshineswar in 1884, when Sri Ramakrishna was 48 years old. According to Swami Nirvanananda, "Bhavanath Chatterjee, the Master’s devotee from Baranagore, wanted to take a photograph of the Master. One day he requested him very strongly to give his consent, and on the afternoon of the next day brought a photographer along with him from Baranagore. He could not make the Master agree. The Master just went away, to the RadhAkAnta [Krishna] temple.

"In the meantime Narendra arrived on the scene and heard everything; he said, ‘Wait a bit. I shall put everything straight.’ Saying this, he went to the veranda to the west of the Radhakanta temple where Sri Ramakrishna was sitting and started a religious conversation with him. The Master went into samadhi. Narendra went and called the others and ordered them to get ready quickly to take the picture.

"In the state of samadhi the Master’s body was bent on one side and therefore the cameraman went to make him sit erect by softly adjusting his chin. But as soon as he touched his chin the whole body of the Master came up like a piece of paper - so light it was!

"Swamiji then told him, ‘Oh, what are you doing? Be quick. Get the camera ready.’ The cameraman took the exposure as hurriedly as possible. The Master was completely unaware of this incident.
Swami Vishuddhananda stated that when Sri Ramakrishna saw the photo he went into ecstasy and touched the photo to his head several times, saying: "The photo is nicely taken. This mood is very high - fully merged in Him. Here the Lord is fully depicted in his own nature."

The following is a quotation from Sri Sarada Devi: The Holy Mother, (p. 416) concerning one of the prints of this photograph:

"Disciple: Mother, that photograph of Sri Ramakrishna which you have with you is a very good one. One feels it when one sees the picture. Well, is that a good likeness of the Master?

"Mother: Yes, that picture is very, very good. It originally belonged to a brahmin cook. Several prints were made of his first photograph. The brahmin took one of them. The picture was at first very dark, just like the image of Kali. Therefore it was given to the Brahmin. When he left Dakshineswar for some place - I do not remember where - he gave it to me. I kept the photograph with the pictures of other gods and goddesses and worshipped it. At one time I lived on the ground floor of the nahabat. One day the Master came there, and at the sight of the picture he said, ‘Hello, what is all this?’ Lakshmi and I had been cooking under the staircase. Then I saw the Master take in his hand the bel leaves and flowers kept there for worship, and offer them to the photograph. This is the same picture. That brahmin never returned, so the picture remained with me."

This picture which Sri Ramakrishna worshipped is now on the shrine at the Udbodhan Office in Calcutta, where it is worshipped daily."

Namaskar

Dear Sri Ravi,

So interesting and beautiful story! I read it for the first time now,and it is a truly enjoyment to read about such " ordinary Extrodinary" happenings around Master.
Thank You Very much!

With love and prayers,

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 05:45:55 PM »
Sri Ravi,

Indeed gratitude to that Lord, that, through you, who are here, to be able to present these wonderful facts behind the picture, or where else could we get to know such wonderful details? It was truly exhilarating to all that transpired before being successfully able to take a picture of the Lord. Swami Vivekananda and other disciples seem so much like little children praying all their little pranks with their grandfather, spreads so much warmth in just reading the same. Swami Vivekananda reminds me of shAmA, from Shirdi Sai Sat Charitra, it was Shama, to whom all devotees came and addressed their wishes as only he could somehow get things done from Baba, Shama was very dear to Baba. When the devotees could not directly approach Baba or make him accede to somethings. Like How we approach Shiva through Nandi. what a joy, Thank you!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj,

I am happy to see that You have opened thread on Sri Ramakrishna teachings. I was just last night reading a Traning a disciple article,and i was so moved and touched with it! I was completly lost reading whill reading it!

We are much familiar with Sri Ramakrisha because of Sri Ravi,many thanks to Him,and i cant wait to see what will Master teach us trough You!  :)

With love and prayers,

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 09:15:45 AM »
Nagaraj/Hari/Jewell,
I am delighted to see this thread on sri Ramakrishna's teachings.I am eager to read the teachings through you.Thanks very much.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 09:40:18 PM »
Nagaraj,
Yes,I also came across this website which has very good information on mahAkavi.Thanks very much for the wonderful articles on MahAkavi that you have posted.The Kannan ,my mother is superb,as also the translation of it.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 06:12:21 PM »
udai,
" When Vivekananda hid a gold coin under Sri Ramakrishna bed, Sri Ramakrishna shouted "Fire! Fire!" and jumped up! "

Where did you get this information?Please do not share fanciful ideas here.I am sorry but I find your ideas far fetched and totally off mark.
You are free to carry such ideas but to project here as if they are authentic is misleading to say the least.I will post in The Rough-note book on these aspects.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 06:33:13 PM »
udai,
Please check what is stated in that quote and what you have posted earlier -" In order to instruct Vivekananda the attitude one should have towards Gold he would do that! Another time he would simply throw it off as a  stone! "

Do you see how farfetched your ideas are?Anyway,I will post the passages from The Gospel as to what Sri Ramakrishna himself said.

Namaskar.