Author Topic: Lalitha Sahasranama  (Read 31096 times)

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Lalitha Sahasranama
« on: October 23, 2012, 11:59:14 AM »
Honestly, this is the first time I am reading this great text. Thought of reading on Mahanavami day. I was amazed at verse 43-49 describing Maha Maya exactly as the Supreme Brahman itself - nitya-shudha, nitya-budha, niravadya and so on...

Nirpepa nirmala nitya nirakara nirakula
Nirguna nishkala shanta nishkama nirupaplava – 44
Nityamukta nirvikara nisprapancha nirashraya
Nitya-shudha nitya-budha niravadya nirantara – 45
Nishkarana nishkalanka nirupadhirnirishvara
Niraga ragamadhani nirmada madanashini – 46
 Nishchinta nirahankara nirmoha mohanashinee
Nirmama mamatahantri nishpapa papanashini – 47
Nishkrodha krodhashamani nirlobha lobhanashini
Nisandhaya sanshayaghni nirbhava bhavanashini – 48
Nirvikalpanirabadha nirbheda bhedanashini
Nirnasha mrutyumadhani nishkriya nishparigraha – 49

Pranamams to the Supreme Brahman and his inseparable Maya
Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Lalitha Sahasranama
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 01:12:04 PM »
Dear sanjaya-ganesh,

In Sakta worship and particularly in Kaula Marga  (a sect which considered Sakti as Supreme), Sakti Herself does all the
works of Siva too. She is always pair of oppoistes. vidya/Avidya etc.,

Arunachala Siva, 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:27:10 PM »
Dear sanjaya_ganesh,

Sri Lalita Sahasranamam is a wonderful poem which combines Sakta worship and Advaita.

anta mukha samaradhya; bhahir mukha sudharlabha.

She is available for those who pray within. But she is not easily available for those who pray outside.

Arunachala Siva.   

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 10:55:58 AM »
Lalita Sahasranamam enunciates the Vedantic truths and describes the Paradevata's saguna rupa; the ways of worship and the manner in which She blesses the devotees. May all devotees gain their well-being by reciting the Lalita Sahasranama - a veritable kalpavriksha - Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal[/color]
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »
I have a doubt regarding Chanting Lalitha Sahasranama .
I did learn Lalitha Sahasranama on my own using a book and the audio Chanting of Swami Paramarthananda  and can recite it very well but then one day a far relative of mine  on a visit to our house said that Lalitha Sahasranama should not be chanted without proper initiation and her father who is himself a Vedic Scholar associated with Sringeri Mutt advised her not to chant Lalitha Sahasranama but only chant Soundarya Lahiri . She further said there is no problem in Chanting other Sahasranama like Vishnu Sahasranama , Shiva Sahasranama etc without initiation but when it comes to Lalitha Sahsranama one needs an initiation before chanting and today I saw this quote of Sringeri Achraya ,Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal urging people to chant Lalitha Sahasranama .
Can someone clarify what is the correct procedure ? i.e initiation needed or not needed for chanting this ?
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 11:18:52 AM »
Sri Atmavichar,

initiation is mandatory for LalitA sahasranAmam, kindly go through this thread, given below:

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=6595.0

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 11:21:58 AM »
Sri Atmavichar,

I am just reproducing from that thread, just for the convinience of the readers of this thread:

The advice of the Paramacharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham should be carefully heeded in this respect -

As this Vidya is the means of both Bhoga and Moksha, it is taught secretly only to eligible persons. The practitioner is also enjoined to keep this Upasana secret. The Sruti says:

अन्तः शाक्तः | बहिश्शैवः | लोके वैष्णवः || [कौलोपनिषत्]
AntaH shAktaH bahiH shaivaH loke vaiShNavaH (Kaulopanishad)

Ar heart Shakta, outwardly a Shaiva and in gatherings a Vaishnava (who generally gather together for worshipping in the praise of Hari)

The Shakti Upasana should be known only to the mind and not broadcast. Even while wearing on the forehead the Sindura Prasadam of Devi, the Upasaka should cover it with bhasma. As Shiva and Shakti are one, this can be done.

aIyate shivasAyujyaM kShIyate pAshabandhanam
atha dIkSheti kathitaM budhaiH sacChAstravedibhiH ..

The first qualification for a Upasaka to perform Pooja is obtaining Diksha from a competent Guru. the rite called Diksha is supposed to be destroying all the limiting factors of the individual self and facilitate his union with Shiva.

Such a Initiator or Guru would advise his/her disciple if one is ready to chant these Shlokas or mantras even during impure time or otherwise and generally devotees are advised to take caution to the various rules according to the Shastras.

The practice of Bhakti in all its three forms constitutes Upasana. There the form to be adopted as the object of devotion is also a matter of choice. Indeed, Bhagavan Krishna assures us that he confers on the sincere devotee, unwavering devotion to the chosen form.

YatrAsti bhogo na tatra mokShaH yatrAsti mokShaH na tu tatra bhogaH |
ShrIsundarI sAdhakapuMgavAnAM bhogashcha mokshashcha karastha eva ||

"Where there is worldly enjoyment, there is no salvation; where there is salvation, there is no worldly enjoyment. For the great worshippers of Sri Sundari, both worldly enjoyment and salvation are at hand’ – will come alive with a new significance."

Bhaskaraya has said:

The Sadhaka will experience, as his Japa and Upasana progress, that he is able to get some supernatural powers, Siddhis as they are known. His mind will also be distracted by various material pleasures thrusting themselves upon him. He must be careful, remembering parokShapriya hi devaH and these are directed at preventing him from attaining his goal of Brahma Jnana.

(Reliable Sources)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:25:54 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
Sri Atmavichar,

You had mentioned about a family priest with whom you had dareshan of sringEri swAmigal, i feel, he would be a right person to get initiated from.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 11:46:19 AM »
Sri Atmavichar,

You had mentioned about a family priest with whom you had dareshan of sringEri swAmigal, i feel, he would be a right person to get initiated from.

Thanks Nagaraj for your inputs about Lalitha Sahasranama , my family priest is a Vedic Scholar and a staunch Karma Kandin and does not entertain any activity apart from one's prescribed Nitya Karmas i.e Sandhya Vandana etc . He feels if you have more time then do more Gyathri Japa or learn Vedas . He is right in his own respects . This is what Kanchi Paramacharya also said .Anyway that is for a different discussion .
BTW according to my relative this initiation has to be done by a Shakthi Upasaka .

My aim of Chanting Lalitha Sahasranama is purely for Bhakti and also I consider it as a form of Yoga i.e proper chanting with right pronunciation leads to mental peace and stability plus I find it useful in my ongoing study of Sanskrit . I do not intend to do any Meru or Chakra Puja but just to chant it like I chant Vishnu Sahasranama . I was in a way happy seeing Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal quote uring people to chant Lalitha Sahasranama .

So let me qualify my question :

I know that  initiation is  needed for people who Chant Lalitha Sahasranama as part of a Chakra Puja / Meru Puja but for others to just simply chant it like Vishnu Sahasranama is initiation needed ?

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 12:04:10 PM »
Sri Atmavichar,

years back, i was in a similar situation, i just fell in love with LalitA sahasranAmam, i used to just read it for the sheer love of it, some of my extended family are very well versed in the sampradAya and if you look at the prelude and phala shruti,  in the agastya hayaghreeva samvAda, it is clearly told by Hayaghreeva that his has to be not be revealed to those unless one asks for it, initiation is mandatory and it is even said that it should not be chanted in front of someone who does not respect it and revere it it should not be taken without initiation by someone competent, and got myself initiated by an elder in my family.

Lalita Sahasranamam is just more than a shloka, it is also said that it is mantra sAdhana, there are various implications and it required strict adherence to that shakti-path.

She does not come easily Sri Atmavihar, she comes only by persistent testing and she sees the earnestness of the devotee, how far he will go in order to win her love. Once you are initiated, if you are able to do it sincerely, she will begin playing games with you, some cannot handle her play, hence there is so much strictness with regard to Devi Upasana. Because this is a commitment, like a wedding!

From my school of thought, initiation is definite must.

But, Vishnu sahasranamam can be chanted as it, as it is said so in the phala shruti iself. Just the requirement of being able to pronounce the words correctly is the only requirement. However, according to some traditions, every small shlokA too is only conferred by initiation.

I will produce the exact verses at the next opportunity, as i do not have a book with me right now.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

Sri Lalita Sahasranamam confers bhakti, vairagya, sraddha, viveka and atma jnana. Only condition is that it should be chanted
with correct pronunciation and proper cadence.

Arunachala Siva.   

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 03:01:26 PM »
I have a doubt regarding Chanting Lalitha Sahasranama .
I did learn Lalitha Sahasranama on my own using a book and the audio Chanting of Swami Paramarthananda  and can recite it very well but then one day a far relative of mine  on a visit to our house said that Lalitha Sahasranama should not be chanted without proper initiation and her father who is himself a Vedic Scholar associated with Sringeri Mutt advised her not to chant Lalitha Sahasranama but only chant Soundarya Lahiri . She further said there is no problem in Chanting other Sahasranama like Vishnu Sahasranama , Shiva Sahasranama etc without initiation but when it comes to Lalitha Sahsranama one needs an initiation before chanting and today I saw this quote of Sringeri Achraya ,Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal urging people to chant Lalitha Sahasranama .
Can someone clarify what is the correct procedure ? i.e initiation needed or not needed for chanting this ?

Hi Atmavichar

Generally I will not tell anything with this much force and authority:

suddenly seeing your doubt on Lalitha Sahsranama,  today  this Friday,  I tell
you from my depth of my heart.  I have many shortcomings and bad vasanas but
whatever I tell below is the direct blessings from the Moola Shakthi.

You chant Lalitha Sahsranamam without any fear daily with maximum sincerity , humility
and devotion.

Anything may fail but not that 1000 names of my Divine Mother.

When Vaak Devigal wanted to praise Lalitha Matha,  there came crores of devi's names in their mind.

For benefit of Kali Yuga, it then just flasehd within them to choose these 1000 names.

Once upon a time,  I was very much interested in learning all the meanings of these 1000 names.

But nowadays ,  I feel that whatever meaning we give to those names are only one partial aspect.

There are many other multi dimensional aspects for each name that if one chants without interpreting
he gets maximum grace.

I assure you --  these 1000 names have the power to burn all your sins.

A micro second of full faith if it happens while you chant,  it will even give you a glimpse of Nirvana experience.

You may be very much unqualified,  dirty,  sinful etc.

Whole world may mock at you --  but these 1000 names will embrace you and wipe your tears .
When others look at merits and tapas and eligibility, these 1000 names ignoring all that
will come to your rescue.

So please start chanting this.

If initiation has to be bestowed upon you,   Divine Mother knows when to give that.

You dont worry -- sit in a corner and chant these 1000 names.   

In the best possible way, Mother will accept your devotion and make your progress very faster

I close with few other sentences --  in this universe,  there are some abhaya (protection) Grace Force
which are acccessible only through humility and pure devotion --  and these gateways
dont care about your past merits or bound by eligibility theory.   

The Lotus feet of Lord Rama,  the 1000 names of Lalitha,  the mountain of Arunachaleshwara
atleast I know these three , there may be many, these are those which will never look
at your initiation or eligibility. 

In this forum you have asked, our esteemed members have referred to various sasthras and replied.
  hereafter please dont ask any doubts on this to anybody.

If somebody gives a voluntary negative advise that you need initiation ,  you declare boldly
"I have my Mother,  she will take care of everything,  it is my birht right to call her 1000 names"

With tears of devotion and in the name of my Mother
Krishna

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:17:00 PM by ksksat27 »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 03:22:30 PM »
Dear All

Thanks for all your inputs about Sri Lalitha Sahasranama stotram . I love chanting it a lot but I never do any puja for the same . I love sanskrit chanting ( as well as Tamil Chanting ) and consider Chanting itself to be a sort of Yoga Sadhana and I have got lot of benefits doing the same . At the same time I understood the need to respect certain sanctity with regard to our tradition and rules if not fully . Once I started learning Sri Rudram from an audio tape that was given along with Swami Dayananda's Commentary on Sri Rudram and started chanting the same and wanted to test how I chant and asked my family vedic priest to test it and he found lot of errors in the same as I learnt it by self learning method .He told me while my intention to chant Rudram is good , it is dangerous chanting Rudram with error and hence I dropped it and just listen to it on CD these days . I decided that henceforth I will not chant any Vedic Mantras ( except Gayathri , Sandhya Vandanam Mantras etc ) without proper training and started to focus only on Puranic Mantras /Stotras like Vishnu Sahasranama , Siva Sahasranama , Ganaga Sahasranama , Various ashtotras , Adi Shankara Stotras , Bhagawad Gita along with Bahagwan's Hyms in Tamil and certain hyms from Thiruvachagama  and Theveram etc  where rules are not strict and making simple errors in chanting is not dangerous   
Only problem was with Sri Lalitha Sahasranama as I was chanting it regularly until I was informed that it is not good to chant without initiation and luckily today I saw the quote of Sri Bharati Teerta  Mahaswamigal urging people to chant the same and I posed that quote in the forum after a long break . Today being Friday I took it as a sort of signal from Sringeri Acharya itself as a sign to chant the same but wanted to seek Other's opinions here in this forum also before doing so . I am right now reading Sri Kanchi Paramacharya's Voice of God Vol-7 pg 108-112which discusses about this .I have also asked a close friend of mine who is quite familiar with Shakti Upasana and as he is out of station ,he told he will give me a detailed reply later .
So I will share whatever inputs that I find from both these sources here . Others also share the same . I will go with Sringeri Acharya's advice to chant but since I did not learn from a Guru I will play the CD of Lalitha Sahasranama of Swami Paramarthananda and listen to it with rapt attention .
Thanks for the inputs from everyone .

Om Peace .
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:24:28 PM by atmavichar100 »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 03:48:58 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

Chanting of Sri Lalita Sahasranamam DOES NOT REQUIRE ANY INITIATION. Only purity of mind and body (that is, after proper
bath and wearing newly washed  dress, and kumkum or vibhuti on the forehead) alone is required.

Either you can keep some food offering (cooked rice with ghee) before the goddess. Or you can merely keep some milk with sugar.

There are some Sakti Mantras, like Sri Vidya Pancha Dasakshari, Sri Bala mantra etc., These require initiation.

You can without any hesitation, chant Sri Lalita Sahasranama with the above cited formalities.

Arunachala Siva. 

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 03:55:23 PM »
Thanks Subramaniam Sir for ur inputs . Will do accordingly . It has strengthened me more .