Author Topic: Bhajana Dhyana -discussions  (Read 1944 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Bhajana Dhyana -discussions
« on: October 20, 2012, 09:12:22 AM »
Udai/friends,
Yes,the Arati song on Sri Ramakrishna and the one on Holy Mother- 'Prakruti Pramam'are simply wonderful.In R K Mutt ,Mylapore Chennai,the swamiji who performs the Arati is a great soul;it is deeply inspiring to just watch him,the way he walks gracefully in a poised manner,and after the preliminaries of the ritual how he gets up and waves the vespers ,one hand holding the Lighted Lamp and the other hand ringing the Bell in a measured way-the way the hand holding the lamp makes wavy motion as if a fish is joyously swimming in the ocean-A real treat to watch.A Picture of Stillness in Motion.
I warmly recommend this to all devotees who are in chennai ,to visit on Sunday evening ;after the vespers there are some wonderful Bhajans for about an hour.
This song by Devendra Mazumdar is a Great favourite of mine.Please visit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7_PYZN4S5s

This is a Bengali song and is composed by Devendranath Mazumdar(and not by Swami Vivekananda)and can be easily understood by those who are familiar with sanskrit or Hindi.
Namaskar

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Bhajana Dhyana -discussions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 10:38:58 AM »
Sri Tushnim, Sri Ravi,

we regularly call one Ramakrishna Bhajan group is a smaal satsang that we have here, whenever we conduct Rama Navami, Krishna Janmashtami, a group of some 25 to 30 members sing together some excellent songs, the vibrations and the emotions that they emanate leaves you chocked with bliss. Thank you!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 02:22:43 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

During these Navaratri Days, my wife chants Sri Soundarya Lahari completely once, every day. I chant Siva Sakya yukto....12 times
in the mornings every day.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 02:27:22 PM »
Sir, Soundarya Lahari is excellent composition, i got an opportunity to learn it some years back. There are so many dimensions in each verse, the essence offers itself exactly to the pakavA of the reciter or the one who studies. It is greatly mysterious!

Hopefully, we can, when Bhagavan wills, can go through it here :)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 10:32:46 PM »
Sri Ravi,

I cannot forget how fortunate I was to encounter a man in his seventies,a Brilliant Mechanical Engineer,in a wedding.We were seated next to each other and our conversation veered to this wonderful verse of mahAkavi;as he recited these deeply devotional and intimate composition of Bharatiyar,he shed tears in ecstasy;The marriage hall and all the din and noise all were completely transcended and these immortal lines of the mahAkavi,incredibly beautiful filled one's being.He savoured all the punch lines that I have marked in Italics,and dwelt on its utter sweetness and pregnant meaning.Truly ,one marvel of a poem.
I request nagaraj/subramanian to help translate this into English.
Namaskar.

Thank you for sharing this, something sure happens to me upon either listening or reading any poems of bhAratiyAr.

I'll try to find some way for a translation :) i am eager too!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 11:05:27 PM »
Nagaraj,
Yes,the wonderful poem'Kannan ,my servant' is so full of Deep devotion and jnAna,and is truly in the language of siddhars.BhAratiyAr is saying 'Idai JAthi' and is referring to the 'Preservation' aspect of the Divine that succours one and protects!He is saying 'kaattu manithan' which actually refers to the Krishna,the Jagatguru(kAttu-means one who directs  to Truth by Pointing (kAttu)!Likewise,this poem is sweet and intimately human in its simplicity,yet pregnant with deep meaning and Truly Divine.
'Nenjile kAdhal peridhu,kAsu perithillai'!What a beauty!
MahAkavi is undoubtedly a Siddha Purusha;Master TGN has clearly brought it out in his talks.TGN hails in the family of mahAkavi.
Looking forward to the translation.Thanks very much.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 03:46:34 PM »
Nagaraj,
Wonderful translation and commentary.Thanks very much to Sharadaji.She is truly blessed to have put her heart and soul into the translation and to have come up with a beautiful commentary that should aid all aspirants in understanding the drift of this incredibly intimate poem of mahAkavi.
Yes,this is what Sri Ramakrishna says:
"Sometimes God becomes the magnet and the devotee the needle, and sometimes the
devotee becomes the magnet and God the needle. The devotee attracts God to him. God is
the Beloved of His devotee and is under his control
".

Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 04:08:11 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Nice translation. Only a gifted person can do such work.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 05:29:51 PM »
Sri Ravi, Subramanian Sir,

Yes,this is what Sri Ramakrishna says:
"Sometimes God becomes the magnet and the devotee the needle, and sometimes the
devotee becomes the magnet and God the needle. The devotee attracts God to him. God is
the Beloved of His devotee and is under his control
".

what a beautiful expression, only Sages can express from their direct jnyAna driShti

Thank you, my sister in law is my reference point for anything related to tamil. Thanks for your wishes, shall surely pass it on to her.

with prayers,

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 05:41:48 PM »
Subramanian,
You are referring to bhajana as something done with Cymbals.What is the Bhaja in Bhaja govindam,or Bhajare Yathunatham by Sri sadAsiva Brahmendra,Signify?Bhajana means wworship and one may worship with action,words and thought-all of them together.Otherwise it will be a 'Show'.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 06:24:38 PM »
umak calath rAmacandra Tumak calath rAmacandra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ_L9B2F140

pAyOji mainE rAma ratana Dhana pAyO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUqA69N_0MM&feature=related

with prayers,

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥