Author Topic: Question about sleep awareness and consciousness  (Read 1280 times)

right2be

• View Profile
Question about sleep awareness and consciousness
« on: October 17, 2012, 05:22:57 PM »
Hello everybody,

If there is no mind and body consciousness during sleep, where is the self ? If mind and body is asleep and there is no consciousness of them does that mean we are experiencing self completely thoughtless and out of body.

If this is case why does it feel like I have no awareness of it. It just feels like falling sleep and waking there is no recollection in between, I am not looking for any thoughts which occur between but would like to know why there is no awareness of this beautiful thoughtless experience inbetween falling asleep and waking.

Ivac_d
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:25:31 PM by ivac_d »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Question about sleep awareness and consciousness
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 05:45:32 PM »
the fact, Sri Ivac_d, is that, the Self cannot be felt! Awareness cannot become aware of itself. Consciousness cannot become conscious of itself. Can the rose flower smell itself? Really speaking, there is no mind to sleep as well! This is the voice of the Sages, as i have understood and this serves only for the purposes of contemplation!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 09:02:03 PM »
during sleep who you really are , awareness , is unchanged .
the self that you think you are simply stops being a story in the mind . the mind rests and stops telling that story.
but the mind and body don't completely shut down . consciousness shifts from the outer world to the inner mind ... hence dreams .
what you are calling awareness is really memory .
the mind can remember dreams because they are thoughts but it cannot remember awareness itself because awareness is not a thing .
it's not that there is no awareness of the experience because awareness is always present , it's simply that there is no memory of what cannot be remembered .
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 09:51:05 PM »
Si Ivac,

This link may be of interest to you:

http://sri-ramana-maharshi.blogspot.com/2008/05/true-nature-of-sleep.html

The ego, the embryo [of manifestation] who suffers in the two states of waking and dream, imagining, ‘I am the one who sees’, is also the one who, by thinking, ‘I did not see anything in sleep’, loses his greatness and gets mentally perplexed.

Bhagavan: The same person sleeps, dreams and wakes up. The waking state is considered to be full of beautiful and interesting things. The absence of such experiences makes one say that the sleep state is dull. Before we proceed further let us make this point clear. Do you not admit that you exist in your sleep?

Question: Yes, I do.

Bhagavan: You are the same person that is now awake. Is it not so?

Question: Yes.

Bhagavan: So there is a continuity in the sleep and the waking states. What is that continuity? It is only the state of pure being.

There is a difference in the two states. What is that difference? The incidents, namely, the body, the world and the objects appear in the waking state but they disappear in sleep.

Question: But I am not aware in my sleep.

Bhagavan: True, there is no awareness of the body or of the world. But you must exist in your sleep in order to say now ‘I was not aware in my sleep’. Who says so now? It is the wakeful person. The sleeper cannot say so. That is to say, the individual who is now identifying the Self with the body says that such awareness did not exist in sleep.

Because you identify yourself with the body, you see the world around you and say that the waking state is filled with beautiful and interesting things. The sleep state appears dull because you were not there as an individual, and therefore these things were not. But what is the fact? There is the continuity of being in all the three states, but no continuity of the individual and the objects.

( Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, talk no. 609)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 09:26:59 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Yes.  Nice. Sleep is a state where the mind/ego is in suspended animation.
We are happy without it. "I had a sound sleep' we say.

Arunachala Siva. 

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 03:56:00 AM »
Hello everybody,

i loved all your wonderful replies, what ever questions i may of  had are now cleared up.

Thank you all for helping me understand.

ivac_d