Author Topic: Discussion thread  (Read 8154 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 06:42:40 PM »
Dear Tusnim,

Shedding tears is true expression of love for god or guru. One never gets mad by chanting god's name or shedding tears in  love
for God or guru. Sri Ramakrishna asks: Whether any one would die by drowning in  Amrita Sagara?

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 06:45:27 PM »
Sri Tushnim,

such a person does not exist to see if mood comes and passes away! The one who gives importance or non-importance has to die and make place for the Lord to take over.

I am not really getting what you are asking about the incident you have quoted, 2001 incident. Always it is best to quote the references from authentic sources, such as scriptures, we need not really study others. Or we take for instance Sri Bhagavan or Sri Ramakrishna or Sri Shirdi Sai Baba, etc... This is right standard for our study!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 06:53:33 PM »
       :) What I am saying is the person had really wonderful devotion, all the signs of a devotee ... tears, horripulation, shivering and even some times he used to lose consciousness in devotion. But he has not the least sense control.
no sense control!
in moments of devotion you will be astonished.
now tell me sir! how can he have no sense control with such deep devotion ?

Sri Tushnim,

See, who is it that is interpreting all these? Secondly, do you want to retain the the ego to control your senses?

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 06:56:08 PM »
That would mean, you are conscious of how other may look at you.
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 07:10:39 PM »
One more side track : Should Bhajans only include "Bhajans" ? May be a few hindi songs also would be full of devotional love for those who can see them as such :) isnt it ?

oh yes, why not..  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sagi0o-d7XU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moKsZOjoohA&feature=fvst

Such songs are pure vEdAntA

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:12:47 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 07:16:45 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddXt2O9ivAU&feature=relmfu

wow, this is one of my favorites, thank you! thirst for the Goddess. Thank you, what bliss! :)

All these songs are pure vEdAntA

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 07:21:51 PM »
all these are "song of Self"

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 07:23:17 PM »
Sri Tushnim

i would exclude these, they are tAmasic unlike the old ones:

Even These :):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H4uIuuBEzQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3qa4CcA0tE

so many wonderful and Exceptional songs !

anyways, as i said ... I doubt if everyone can appreciate these :) as spiritual.
Lets leave it at that.
Love of God is simply dissolving

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:25:07 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »
well, i am still yet to reach that perfection! i do have preferences! The singers make the difference, they carry out the bhAvam!

am not sure if you are taking me for a ride by these songs! it doesn't matter to me! i had my bliss, with the previous ones!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 07:57:24 PM »
Friends,
Bhakti need not be analysed. :-)

Here is an excerpt from sri Aurobindo:
When the psychic being awakens, you grow conscious of your own soul; you know your self. And you no longer commit the mistake of identifying yourself with the mental or with the vital being. You do not mistake them for the soul.
Secondly, when awakened, the psychic being gives true bhakti for God or for the Guru. That bhakti is quite different from mental or vital bhakti.
[i]In the mind one may have admiration or appreciation for the intellectual greatness of the man - or Guru, but it is merely mental; it does not carry the matter very far. Of course there is no harm in having that also. But by itself it does not open the whole of the inner being; it only establishes a mental contact[/i].

The vital bhakti demands and demands. It imposes its own conditions. It surrenders itself to God, but conditionally. It says to God, “You are so great, I worship you, and now satisfy my this desire or that ambition, make me great, make me a great sadhak, a great yogin, etc.” The unillumined mind also surrenders to the Truth, but makes its own conditions. It says to the Truth, “Satisfy my judgment and my opinion”; it demands the Truth to cast itself in the mind's own forms.

The vital being also insists on the Truth to throw itself into its own movement of force. The vital being pulls at the Higher Power and pulls and pulls at the vital being of the Guru.
Both of them (the mental and the vital) have got an arrière pensée (mental reservation) in their surrender.

But the psychic being and its bhakti are not like that. Because it is in direct communication with the Divinity behind, it is capable of true bhakti. Psychic bhakti does not make any demand, makes no reservation. It is satisfied with its own existence. The psychic being knows how to obey the Truth in the right way. It gives itself up truly to God or to Guru, and because it can give itself up truly, therefore it can also receive truly.
Thirdly, when the psychic being comes to the surface, it feels sad when the mental or the vital being is making a fool of itself. That sadness is purity offended.
When the mind is playing its own game or when the vital being is carried away by its own impulses, it is the psychic being which says, “I don't want these things; what am I here for after all? I am here for the Truth, I am not here for these things.” Psychic sadness is again different from mental dissatisfaction or vital sadness or physical depression.
If the psychic being is strong, it makes itself felt on the mental or the vital being, and forces them - compels them - to change. But if it is weak, the other parts take advantage of it and use the psychic sadness to their own advantage.
In some cases the psychic being comes up to the surface and upsets the mental or the vital being and throws everything into disorder. But if the mind or the vital being is stronger than the psychic, then it casts only an occasional influence and gradually retires behind. All its cry is in the wilderness; and the mental or the vital being goes on in its own round.
Lastly, the psychic being refuses to be deceived by appearances. It is not carried away by falsehood. It refuses to be depressed by falsehood - nor does it exaggerate the truth. For example, even if everything around says, “There is no God”, the psychic being refuses to believe in it. It says, “I know, and I know because I feel.” And because it knows the thing behind, it is not deceived by appearances. It immediately feels the Force.
Also, when the psychic being is awakened, it throws out all the dross from the emotional being and makes it free from sentimentalism or the lower play of emotionalism.
But it does not carry in it the dryness of the mind or the exaggeration of the vital feelings. It gives the just touch to each emotion

Bhakti takes us deep within and puts us in touch with our sweet essence.It is adoration of the Divine and does not make any demand and is simply joyous and content.It does not care for any goal or anything to be achieved.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 08:40:19 PM »
Sri Ravi, truly an important and excellent article, thank you! I guess, none other than Sri Aurobindo can come up with this :)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 09:53:32 PM »
Nagaraj,
Yes indeed.Sri Aurobindo's guidance is quite precise and he has this gift for expressing and clarifying;he has evolved his terminology for the parts and planes of Being,which others lump together as 'mind'.
Here is an Excerpt where he distinguishes between JivAtmA(Ego of Knowledge of Sri Ramakrishna) and Psychic being(Ego of Devotee of Sri Ramakrishna):
Atma is not the same as psychic—Atma is the self which is one in all, calm, wide, ever at peace, always free. The psychic being is the soul within that experiences life and develops with evolving mind and life and body. The psychic does not suffer like the vital or body, it has not pain or anguish or despair; but
it has a psychic sorrow which is different from these things. It has a kind of quiet sweet sadness of yearning which it feels when
things go against the Divine, when the obscurity and obstacles are too heavy, when the mind, vital and physical follow after
other things, when evil and falsehood and darkness seem to be too strong for the Light. It does not despair, but feels that these
things ought not to be and the psychic yearning for it to be otherwise becomes so intense that it is felt as if something akin
to sadness
As for the psychic not being in front, that cannot be brought about all at once; the other parts of the being must be prepared
for the change and the veil between must become thinner and thinner. It is for that experiences come and there is the working
on the inner mind and vital and physical as well as on the outer nature.

Some people live in their 'mental being' and its sense of quietude and impersonality;their Bhakti ,is more akin to 'santa BhAva' as this is the closest to 'quietude'.
They may not think that it is equally important to tend to the psychic being and its associated Bhakti..It is this psychic being which feels like a child basking in the Divine Mother's presence.In Sri Aurobindo's Integral Yoga,both these aspects are given equal importance .It is not only essential to Realize the Impersonal Divine but it is also equally vital to establish a relationship(Devotee 'I') with the Personal Divine.In The Bhagavad Gita,Lord Sri Krishna talks about this synthesis as well.

Sri Ramakrishna says:"The Personal and the Impersonal
are the same thing, like milk and its whiteness, the diamond and its lustre, the snake and its
wriggling motion. It is impossible to conceive of the one without the other. The Divine
Mother and Brahman are one."

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 11:47:54 PM »
Sri Tushnim,

these emotions need not be feared, these emotions cannot be harmful, the Self still remains as it is. There are several names that represent the Supreme God, Self such as bhakti priya, bhakti vashya, bhakti gamya, bhakta vatsalya priya, and so on, meaning He (Supreme Self, God) is bhakti vashya, bound by the love of bhakti, That is lover of bhakti, that is a lover of the compassion shown by a bhakta.

If you look deeper, the bhaktA and Supreme Self are one and the same. Ones own bhakti is so dear to ones own Self. That is a lover of ones own Self. The Self is a lover of ones own emotions for ones' Self.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 12:10:43 AM »
Sri Tushnim, Friends,

These names of the Goddess or even better, would be to say the nature of Self, are noteworthy:

Bhakta saubhagya dayini: Who (Self) grants all that is auspicious.
Bhaktipriya: Who (Self) is fond of true devotion.
Bhaktigamya: Who (Self) is attained through true devotion.
Bhaktivashya: Who (Self) can be won over through true devotion.
Bhakti matkalpalatika: Who (Self) is verily a Kalpa Taru, the wish-yielding tree of Heaven that grants all the prayers of devotees.
Bhakta manasa hamsika: Who (Self) is the swan sporting in the Manasa lake of Her devotees’ minds.
Bhaktaharda tamobheda bhanumadh bhanusantatih: Who (Self) dispels the darkness of ignorance in the minds of devotees as the sun’s rays dispel the darkness of the world.
Samasta bhaktasukhada: Who (Self) bestows happiness on all devotees
Bhaktanidhih: Who (Self) is a treasure to Her devotees.
Bhakta chitta keki ghana ghana: Who (Self) is heavily water – laden cloud that makes the hearts of devotees dance like peacocks.

Bhakta-vatsalah –“ One (Self) Whose Love for the devotees knows no bounds.” He(Self) is ever merciful and endlessly kind towards His devotees.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:13:51 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

swayam

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 07:46:21 AM »
Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Dear GuruBhandhus

Can you please kindly suggest me any CD which has Arunachala Siva chanting, not in westernized way, but in indian way in indian voice,
nothing against westners, only thing is mind got used to listening in indian voice(like MS vishnusahasranama, bhajagovindam etc).

Idea is to listen to that chant while on the way to office and reach office in a peacful mind  :)

Thanks in advance

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya