Author Topic: Discussion thread  (Read 6203 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Discussion thread
« on: October 16, 2012, 10:15:56 PM »
Friends, Kindly use this thread for any discussion, for the topic "Bhagavan Ramana Teachings" or any other general discussions on any topic pertaining to "Teachings of Bhagavan"

Thank you

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:15:13 PM »

1.If the moments that are wasted in thinking of the objects which are not the Self, are spent on enquiry into the Self, self-realization will be attained in a very short time.

Self inquiry is not "one of the activities of the day" ... Otherwise, what happens is a person is in Self inquiry for a hour or two and rest of the time is spent in objects only : atleast for most of us.

Self inquiry is to revel as "I AM " even while involved in the day to day work. This has to be done all the time... while writing this as much as working or talking... Remain as "I AM". this way every activity is done remaining as "I AM" !

In seated meditation, which works well as a support, one can strive to do away with all thoughts etc. As such thoughts do not seek your permission to arise. So one can do little to stop thoughts from arising other than setting a mental climate in which they do not strive. Also important is to not "give attention" to the thoughts when they arise, so that they die instantaneously.

Sri Tushnim,

I request you to kindly use this thread for discussion. It will be neat and systematic, i thought :)  thank you.

well, i think the point does not seem to be contradicted to what you have observed. Yes, it has to be continues, all of the waking time.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »
Yes, thats was very good idea :) moreover Bhagavan was very particular in keeping things in order.

Yes, Sri Tushnim, any sAdhanA, one has to strive to first begin with short time, each day, to eventually, to be able to carry it on through out the day, in midst of our works. Awakened living.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 03:13:51 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Once on a rainy morning, Sri Bhagavan as resting on a chair outside the Old Hall. Suddenly from a swampy pool, a frog jumped at Him
and hit His eyes. His eyes became red and the devotees were asking whether they should bring some oil. Sri Bhagavan said:
Nothing to worry. The frog came hear me and told me Hallo!

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »
Sir, after having been blessed by Bhagavan's contact, one thing that i am learning slowly to genuinely live my life. Atma vidyA comes later or i have come to discern this itself is Atma Vidya, seeing self in all being, plants, animals, fellow humans. Every life is precious, Every living being is just like ourselves. They all know only as much as we know. So we begin to forbear, endure, even more in understanding as we begin to see the same feelings that we experience in them too, as we have seen the same in ourselves as well!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:57:52 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 03:31:15 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Once Sri Bhagavan was seen sitting on  stone platform  at night. One sick dog, full of wounds on the body, came to Him and licked
Him all over the body. Sri Bhagavan said: Porum da, Porum..... Next morning, the dog was found dead!

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 04:16:55 PM »
Sri Tushnim,

It was an incident when a dog full of disease was trying to enter Asramam for 3 days, in order to have a darshan of Bhagavan, but, the Asramites, seeing the dog full of diseases felt it dangerous to allow such a dog with disease to enter as it may spread diseases in the Asramam, hence they continuously tried to drive the dog away.

Bhagavan had been silently watching this, on the third day, He slowly walked out of the hall without disturbing anyone. The person attending him thought he was going to the bathroom and followed him at a distance. After a couple of minutes, when Bhagavan did not return, he went looking for him and heard Bhagavan’s voice saying “Thrupthiyachaa?” (Are you satisfied?) “Podhumaa ?” (Is it enough ?).

The attendant found Bhagavan squatting next to the diseased dog. The dog was licking Bhagavan all over his body including his face while Bhagavan was talking to the dog with these words. for which Bhagavan asked the dog - Is it enough ? Are you satisfied?

Next day morning, the Ashramites found the dog lying dead near the entrance. The dog was holding on to its life to have Bhagavan's Darshan.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 05:19:56 PM »
Dear Tusnim,

Porum da, porum means Enough, Enough. The dog though diseased, got liberation from Sri Bhagavan.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »
Subramanian Sir,

Yes. If we genuinely know as to how to remain Still, summa iruthal, no Sadhana is required. We are doing all sadhanas because
we are not capable of remaining Still.

absolutely correct Sir, hence, it makes it quite logical that we engage our eyes, limbs mind, and so on in the worship of the Lord and his glories, it is important to adhere to the anuShTAnAs, with greater fervor.

We all have not attained citta shudDhi (mental purification) so as to remain still. We have to do our karmAs as ordained in the scriptures.

Infact, even the Self enquiry that we do, is too little, the majority of vichAra is just analytics, true Self Enquiry is that which is truly

நானுதியா துள்ளநிலை நாமதுவ யுள்ளநிலை

That we are, when ‘I’ has not arisen.

All that we talk is only it is this, it is that, it is not this, it is not that and so on... where is enquiry? this is not Self Enquiry!

Which is why Sri Bhagavan in the form of Sri Ramakrishna said that if 'I' has to remain let it remain as a "Servant I" and instead of engaging ourselves in mere speculations, it is so much more good, if we utter the name of rAmA, kRushnA, gOvindA or engage in service of God, doing dhArmic work that pleases the God or engage in Bhajans, Puja, Worship and so on.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 05:45:36 PM »
Sri Tushnim,

Thank you so much, but, my cup is already full, i am happy singing the glories of rAm, I would like to live with these vAsanAs of bhakti, i would always want Bhagavan to reatain those vAsanAS that enable me to remain his servant, i pray he keep my mind undissolved as i wish to remain an ignorant, where by, i can soak myself of His grace.

I actually seem to enjoy my ignorance... :) contrarily

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 06:05:17 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

When one chants within lips either Ram nAm or Siva nAm, it takes us to our natural state. Names drop of, but the State remains
for ever.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 06:07:38 PM »
Dear Sri Tushnim,

yes, i get your intention. :) (no worries)

Every mood is the mood of Lord devotion, when you are angry, its the mood of kamsA, when you are desperate, despondent, it is the mood gOpikas, and so on... when you worship, worship with hope that we could worship like bhArati theertha swAmiji, when listening striving to listen like Bhagavan whose eyes used to become moist at the instance of listening to stories of kannapA, once he asked how the pravachkAs are able to talk on Sri Rama and remain unmoved and keep their eyes without tears. When it seems what is this life, a feeling of disgust, kunti appears who asked a boon from kRushna to keep giving her difficulties!  sarvam vishnu mayam jagat!

life is beautiful, Sri Tushnim, life is beautiful! Everything is perfect and beautiful as it is, with all its ups and downs, good ness and badness, angels and the evils, as it is...

Sri Subramanian Sir,

yes, if we are able to taste the rasa of rAma nAmA, what is mukti what is amukti ? who cares?

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

You remain in all the five elements. You have no birth and death, that is what poets say. But what we, illiterate girls know?
We know only to sing githams, dance before you! Who has seen You? And known You? O Lord of Tiruperundurai, with
cool paddy fileds! You are beyond comprehension of any body But You have come before us, washed off our sins and took
over us! O Lord please come and give your darsan! 

(Tirup paLi Ezhucchi, Verse 5:     

பூதங்கள் தோறும்நின் றாய்எனின் அல்லால்
போக்கிலன் வரவிலன் எனநினைப் புலவோர்
கீதங்கள் பாடுதல் ஆடுதல் அல்லால்
கேட்டறி யோம்உனைக் கண்டறி வாரைச்
சீதங்கொள் வயல்திருப் பெருந்துறை மன்னா
சிந்தனைக் கும்அரியாய் எங்கள் முன்வந்து
ஏதங்கள் அறுத்தெம்மை ஆண்டருள் புரியும்
எம்பெரு மான்பள்ளி யெழுந்தருளாயே. 372

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 06:29:41 PM »
Sir,

yes, we are truly illiterates. what do we know?

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »
Sri Tushnim,

Dear Nagaraj,
        shedding tears just happens ...when it happens it happens, when it does not happen it does not happen.
 it is just another happening !

The one that remains to witness this, has to dissolve, till it is incapable of concluding, this happened, that happened, this train moved, that train came, and so on. Only then can the ambrosia be churned!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta