Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 196769 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #990 on: January 30, 2015, 08:32:06 AM »
Bhagavan Ramana Teachings:

'The mind is the cause of both bondage and liberation for a man (mana eva manushyam karanam bandha mokshayoh).
The mind creates many illusions.'

The questioner : 'How will that illusion disappear?'

Bhagavan: 'If the secret truth mentioned above is ascertained by Self Inquiry , the multiplicity resolves itself into five, the five
into three, and the three into one.  Suppose you have a headache and you get rid of it by taking some medicine, you then
remain what you were originally, this head ache is like the illusion that the body is the Self, it disappears when the medicine called
Self Inquiry is administered.'

Bhagavan: 'Yes, that is the real thing. There is a thing called 'I'. Peace being experienced now and then, it must be admitted
that there is a thing called peace.  Moreover, those feelings called desires are also of the mind; and if desires were banished,
there would be no wavering of the mind; and if there is no wavering, that which remains is peace.  To attain that which is always
there requires no effort. Effort is required only for the banishing of all desires.  As and when the mind wavers, it must be
diverted from those matters; if that is done, peace remains as it is.  That is Atma, the Self, that is Liberation and that is the Self.'

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: January 31, 2015, 08:21:54 AM »
And what is this Self God?

Arunachala, the Linga of Fire, the Column of Light, which is standing, deeper than the foundations of the earth, in the
Space of my heart!

It is Fire, -- the Flame that sheds light on all sides and at the same time consumes all that comes into contact with It.

At the touch of Being, none can fail to be flooded with light.  But no longer can anyone preserve his petty and ephemeral
individuality in the mighty blast of that Flame which is irresistibly impels all things towards Being.

The burning fire of the Self Knowledge emits rays of blessedness, spiritual beauty and eternal bounty. The flaming Godhead
without whom fire cannot burn aright in the altar of the ascending Spirit, is force and light, the knower of births, the
possessor of divine wisdom, the immortal in mortals, the divine power in man, and the energy of fulfillment through which
he does his work. He is the revealer, the minister of sacrifice and the invoker of gods. God in the form of Light, ever visible
to hearts that thrill with faith, is vividly brought home by this fire.

Aruna of the Golden Fire.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #992 on: January 31, 2015, 08:32:22 AM »

'Swami, the people sitting here always ask you something and you give them some replies. When I see that, I also feel
tempted to inquire, but I do not know what to ask you. How then can I get mukti?"

Bhagavan looking at him endearingly and smiling, said, 'How do you know that you do not know anything? ' He
said, 'After I came here, and heard the questions asked by all these people and the replies Bhagavan is pleased to give
them, the feeling that I do not know anything, has come upon me.' 'Then it is all right. You have found out that you
do not know anything; that itself is enough. What more is required?' said Bhagavan. 'How to attain mukti by that much
alone, Swami?' asked the questioner. 'Why not? There is someone to know that he does not know anything. It is
sufficient if you could inquire and find out who that some one is. Ego will develop if one thinks one knows everything.

'Instead of that, isn't much better to be conscious of the fact that you do not know anything and then inquire how
you could gain Moksha?'

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: February 01, 2015, 08:16:17 AM »
Then Nandi looked at the gathering and uttered these parting words:

Brahma and Vishnu covered their bodies with holy ash. And performed pradakshina of Annamalai until fourteen thousand years
had passed, whereupon they assumed their divine forms once more.

Once its construction was complete, Holy Aruna's city became so desirable that even the Lord's affection of Mount Kailash
faded away. Since here was a mountain of pure gold, of what value was a mountain of mere silver?  The seven holy sites
with Kasi at their head and the golden realm of the Gods all lost their allure, just as the stars lose their radiance as the pure
rays of the Sun appear.

Then a crescendo of exultant voices sounded the final invocation:

'Swing open, O ye doors divine, give us easy passage for our expanding; lead us further and further and fulfill our
sacrifice. O Ray, be born in us and dwell there, harmonizing Thy Knowledge with the light of the blazing Life-God!

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: February 01, 2015, 08:37:49 AM »
On another occasion an Andhra youth came and said, 'Swami having a great desire for Moksha (deliverance) and anxious
to know the way thereto, I have read all sorts of books on Vedanta. They all describe it, each in a different way. I have
also visited a number of learned people and when I asked them, each recommended a different path. I got puzzled and
have come to you. Please tell me which path I should take.'

With a smile, on His face, Bhagavan said, 'All right, then go the way you came'. We all felt amused at this. The poor
young man did not know what to say. He waited until Bhagavan left the Hall and then with a depressed look turned
to the others there appealingly and said, 'Gentlemen, I have come a long way with great hope and with no regard for
the expenses or discomfort, out of my ardent desire to know the way to Moksha. Is it fair to tell me to go the way
I came . Is this such a huge joke?'

Thereupon, one of them said, 'No, sir, it is no joke. It is the ,most appropriate reply to your question.  Bhagavan's
teaching is that the inquiry Who am I? is the easiest path to Moksha. You8 asked him which way I should go and
His saying, 'Go the way you came.' meant that if you investigate and pursue the path from which that 'I' came,
you will attain Moksha!'

V Ganesan.

Arunachala 'Siva.,     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: February 02, 2015, 08:27:26 AM »
Though it is hard to tell of the qualities of a mountain whose measure even Brahma and Vishnu could not know, I have
tried in a small way to describe it insofar as my knowledge permits. Let the tempest rage,let the ocean rise up,
let the earth quake, but the Tree of Knowledge rooted on Arunachala stands immutable. Many pilgrims on life's
journey repose in its shade and countless devotees like birds pour forth their songs from its branches.

This indeed is the Kingdom of Bliss.

Let those who do not believe this enter the cave and close the door in all comers;
let them strip themselves of every covering, whether inward or outward,let them keep silence and recollect themselves.
Let their thirst be slaked with these waters, let them be scorched with this fire; then they too will soon understand
the secret of Arunachala!

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #996 on: February 02, 2015, 08:50:59 AM »

The voice of a Mahatma indicates the Truth even when speaking in a light vein. Thereupon the book, Who  am I?
was placed in the hands of the young man who felt astonished at the interpretation, and taking Bhagavan's Upadesa,
prostrated himself to Bhagavan and went away.

Bhagavan usually gives us His teachings either in a humorous or a casual way or by way of consolation. During
my early days at the Ashram whenever I felt like going  home. I would approach Bhagavan at some time when
there were hardly any people present and say, 'I want to go home. Bhagavan, but I am afraid of falling back into
family muddles.'He would reply,'Where is the question of our falling into anything anything when all comes and falls
into us?'

On another occasion, I said 'Swami, I am not yet freed from these bonds.'  Bhagavan replied: 'Let what comes come,
let what comes go.  Why do you worry?' Yes. if only we could realize what that 'I' is, we should not have all these worries.

V.Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #997 on: February 03, 2015, 07:53:18 AM »
In what does all this universe exist?  What is all this?  From what does it arise?  For what  and by what does it all appear?

Of what does it consist?

The Self alone is the Cause.

What exists in truth is Self alone. The world, the individual jiva, and God are all appearances in it.  These three appear at
the same time and disappear at the same time.

Heart is Thy Name, Oh Lord!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #998 on: February 03, 2015, 08:10:58 AM »

Some time ago, when a Bengali youth asked similar questions, Bhagavan explained to him at great length.
His doubts not being cleared,the youth asked, 'You say that the Self is present at all  times and at all places.
Where exactly is that 'I'? Bhagavan replied with a smile,'When I say you are present at all times and at all places
and you ask where is that 'I', it is something like asking when you are in Tiruvannamalai, 'Where is Tiruvannamalai?'
When you are everywhere, where are you to search? The real delusion is the feeling  that you are the body. When
you get rid of that delusion, what remains is your Self. You should search for a thing which is not with you,
but there is the need for a thing which is not with you, but where is the need for a thing which is always with you?
All Sadhanas are for getting rid of the delusion that you are the body.  The knowledge that 'I am' is always there,
call it Atma, or Paramatma or whatever you like. One should get rid of the idea that 'I am the body'. Then there
no need to search for that 'I' that is the Self.  The Self is all pervading.'

V.Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #999 on: February 03, 2015, 04:37:10 PM »
That which arises as 'I' in the body is the mind.

If one inquires as to where in the body the thought 'I' arises first,one would discover that it rises in the heart.

Of  all thoughts that  arises in the mind, the 'I' thought' is the first.

It is only after the rise of this that other thoughts arise.

Without the personal pronoun there will not be the second and third.

The thought 'Who am I?' will destroy all other thoughts,
and like a stick used for stirring the burning pyre, it will itself in the end get destroyed.

Then there will arise Self Realization.

Heart is Thy Name, Oh Lord.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: February 04, 2015, 08:08:36 AM »
When the world which is 'what is seen' has been removed, there will be realization of the Self,which is the seer.

Just as knowledge of the rope which is the substratum will not arise unless false knowledge of the illusory serpent goes,
so that the realization of the Self which is the substratum will not be gained unless the belief that the world is real is removed.

What is called 'mind' is a wondrous power residing in the Self.

It causes all thoughts to arise.

Apart from thoughts, there is no such thing as mind.

When the mind comes out of the Self, the world appears.

Therefore,when the world appears(to be real), the Self does not appear.

Heart is Thy Name, Oh Lord.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: February 04, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »

As soon as she left the hall, Bhagavan burst out laughing and said, turning towards us, 'She says that it is enough if only
Moksha is given to her.  She does not want anything else.'  Subbalakshamma, who was seated by my side, took up
the thread of the conversation and quietly said,'We have come and are staying here for the same purpose.We do not
want anything more.  It is enough if you give us Moksha'.   'If you renounce,and give up everything, what remains is
only Moksha. What is there for others to give you? It is there always. That is all.' said Bhagavan.  'We do not know
all that.Bhagavan Himself must give us Moksha';  so saying she left the hall. Looking at the attendants who were by his side,
Bhagavan remarked:  'I should them Moksha.  they say. It is enough if Moksha alone is given to them.  Is not that itself
a desire?.  If you give up all the desires, that you have, what remains is only Moksha. And you require sadhana to get
rid of all those desires.'

V.Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: February 04, 2015, 04:59:15 PM »
FORTY VERSES IN PRAISE OF SRI RAMANA By Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni

The great devotion of the seer-poet Ganapati Muni to his Guru Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi is well-known. The genesis of the ?Forty Verses? described by K. Natesan in the Mountain Path, Jayanti 2000, shows how these were edited and compiled by the Maharshi himself. The verses entitled ?Sri Ramana Chatvarimsat?, a heartfelt outpouring of devotion of the highest order from a disciple to his guru, are recited before Bhagavan?s Samadhi every day. The following literal translation is adapted from The Maharshi, journal of Ramana Maharshi Centre, New York.

Invocatory verse:
I bow to the lotus feet of the spiritual teacher, Rishi Sri Ramana, who showed me the Lord, shining, transcending darkness.

1. The story of his life removes impurities. He is an ocean of compassion, taking delight in the Arunachala.

2. He is the guru of an assembly of learned men, beginning with Ganapati. He is a great repository of a wealth of virtues. Just as the thousand-rayed sun is hidden by a cloud, his true greatness is hidden by the garb of the body.

3. Ingenious at defeating the roving senses, he is skillful in praising the merits of others. He delights in the peace of silence which is without deceit, and is the slayer of the strong, reviled, frightening passions.

4. He fills his stomach only at the proper time, undertakes inflexible vows, and lives on the slope of Arunachala. His heart is unable to be won over by the arrows of Cupid. He is leading his devotees, and giving them the method of atma-vichara.

5. He has crossed the fear-producing ocean of worldly life. He has hands as delicate as a lotus, which serve him as bowl. His own gaze is unsurpassed in calmness and brightness, and he removes the fear of those who resort to his lotus feet.

6. For adoring devotees, he is a storehouse of divine treasure. His presence destroys dense misery. He maintains the duties of the ascetic, and he is preventing darkness all around.

7. Flooded with virtues that only Sesha can describe, he speaks words that are pleasing beneficial and true. His happiness is not governed by respect and honour from others, nor does he have distress due to dishonour from others.

8. He is the Lord of ascetics. With his sharp and brilliant intellect, he has with firmness destroyed the ego. He is always bearing a wave of joy, and has killed the array of inner enemies ? the six passions.

9. Having transcended all by his own merits, he wins the supreme feet of the Lord, which are not easily accessible to others. He is free from the feeling of ?mine? and is the friend of the virtuous.

10. Abandoning the lap of his mother Paravati, he dwells on the earth for the removal of darkness. He is Skanda, having the appearance of a man. This world has found a Lord in Ramana!

11. He is an ascetic, wearing only a white piece of cloth adorning his buttocks. He is the Supreme guru, he is the peacock-mounted Skanda, wearing the guise of a man. In him the world has a Master!

12. Prostrations to him who has transcended the multitude of gunas and is the perfect brahamachari! He is beyond maya and is the enemy of Taraka.

13. O Bhagavan, here there is no peacock for riding, nor a celestial river for bathing, no divine vina-playing attendants to sing to thee! How is it then that you make your dwelling upon Arunachala?

14. You have one face, you are separated from Mother Uma?s lap! You do not have a spear in your hand. You are mortal, and there is no flag-bearing armies of gods on either side! This disguise is enough to cover the eyes of those unwary ones who delight in the world, but how will you, O Skanda, escape the notice of your brother Ganapati.

15. Some know you as ?the foremost of the knowers of yoga?, others as ?jnani?, some others as ?sadhu?, while some, thinking you as ?guru? worship your lotus feet. Ramana, born on earth for the peace of men, only two or three know you as Lord Skanda.

16. The meaning of OM was explained by you to Lord Brahma. Opening your mouth, you had undertaken to explain something to your father Siva. O Subramanya, even though you are the youngest, by your merits you have become greater than all! By the weight of your wisdom, you have obtained the state of guru to your elder brother Ganapati.

17. That Lion?s seat of honour which was previously mounted by the wise Vyasa, who saw the fullest extent of the Vedas, was afterwards occupied by fear-destroying Sankara, who with a single portion of his knowledge dispelled the darkness of ignorance. Now that throne of Acharya, awaits thee, O Lord Skanda, embodied as man.

18. When dharma has been destroyed, when the three worlds are bewildered by wrong doing, when scholars everywhere declare words as true knowledge, when the existence of the supreme Lord, the Father, is doubted, who but you is the refuge of the good, O Skanda, disguised as man?

19. Dispassion (vairagyam) may be your wealth, but how can you forsake compassion (karunam)? Desire may be prohibited by you, but is protection denied to your devotees? O Skanda, masked as man, do you wait for a proper opportunity?

20. O detraction, go far away! Bull of Dharma, henceforth you will not be lame! Leave the world, O confusion. May association with the virtuous increase everywhere! In association with his brother (Ganapathi), this world has obtained the chief of gurus (Ramana). He is the destroyer of the demon Sura and the amorous passions, Lord, son of the Divine Mother Parvati. (To be continued)
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: February 04, 2015, 05:00:44 PM »
21. He who has taken off all duality, and who having pervaded the world and all bodies, shines forth with his glory, oh men! Salute that one, in the form of Guru, the brother of Ganapati!

22. He who removes the darkness from within and without, having obtained that eternal state of light, who uproots the ignorance of his devotees, who, though seeing and sporting in this universe, is beyond the universe, to him, Sri Ramana, the Guru of the world and destroyer of sorrow, salutations!

23. O Ramana, now, by flowing forth of your splendid gaze, may I once be bl-+essed!

24. O Ramana, you are the Guru of men. Infinite is your heart, in which there is no differentiation.

25. O Ramana, your words destroy the triad of ? ?world?, ?I? and ?the Supreme?, and there remains one reality without differentiation.

26. O Ramana, your teaching helps in dissolving the difference between the reality and the ego.

27. O Ramana, if your grace extends to us, we could experience the Supreme Self in the pure heart, hidden within the ego.

28. O Lord of the wise! Compassion is not just a quality of yours. It is natural to you.

29. O spotless one, your body blazes like lightning and your look is bright and pervasive.

30. Your mind has been dissolved by the heart, Oh Lord! You are eternally shining with bliss.

31. O Lord of the self-controlled, you are the universal Lord of mankind. 32. Slaying the ego of the humans steeped in ignorance, you are the supreme Siva for them.

33. I bow to guru Bhagavan Ramana, who destroys the darkness prevailing in my heart, not only by his words, but by his sidelong glances of grace and compassion.

34. O Bhagavan Ramana, diving again and again into the ocean of the world, we are extremely tired. Now at this moment we approach the island of your lotus feet for refuge. You are the abode of virtues; please protect us with the grace that pours out of your eyes to your devotees.

35. If the mother will not give milk, alas, what will be the fate of the child? If the cowherd be angry, how will the cows be protected? If you, Teacher, do not dispel the doubts of those resorting to your feet, how will they cross over this worldly existence.

36. The peace reigns in your moon-like splendid smile. Your large broad eyes are steady and unequal in luster. You are eternally abiding in the lotus of the Heart with your splendour flowing outwardly. O Bhagavan Ramana! What sage on earth is possibly your equal?

37. In your eyes is the ignorance-destroying Devi Shakti. In your face of-a- thousandexpressions is Lakshmi, the wife of the lotus-eyed Vishnu. Concealed in your utterances is victory-causing Saraswati. O universal teacher Ramana! What an ordinary man can praise you?

38. Even though I am very far away from your holy feet, O Bhagavan Ramana, the knowledge that your power ? blazing as the sun, is not remote from me, has caused the sorrow of my mind to vanish.

39. The good fortune acquired by Arunachala by the dwelling of many sages, is now unequalled because Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi has chosen this dwelling from among other holy places.

40. For his extraordinary peace, supreme power, most extraordinary dispassion, intense compassion, for knowledge that has banished hypocrisy, and for his sweet conduct, Ramana Maharshi is the ideal for mankind.
Concluding verse: Vaishista Ganapati, son of Narasimha, has praised in forty measured verses the Rishi Guru Ramana, the incarnation of Skanda.
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: February 06, 2015, 02:39:12 PM »
All living beings desire to be happy always, without any misery. 

In  every one there is observed supreme love for oneself.

And Happiness alone is the cause of love,

To gain that happiness which is one's nature and which is experienced in the state of deep sleep, where there is no mind,
one should know one's Self,.

To achieve this , the  path of Knowledge, the inquiry in the form of  Who am I? is the principal means.

Heart is Thy Name , Oh Lord!

Arunachala Siva.