Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 197338 times)

cefnbrithdir

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2012, 03:31:03 PM »
Dear Subramanian Sir

Thank you. I did think that Bhagavan's response, quoted by Ravi, was specific to the question asked - and included that in my earlier post but then for doubtless different reasons took it out !

I realise with some irony that my desire to post stemmed from not being sufficiently settled as to whether Bhagavan was responding specifically, which you have kindly confirmed he was,  or whether his words were addressing  something I needed to attend to  or had not properly understood myself.

Another lesson !  But I am smiling.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2012, 07:20:43 AM »
D: What is guru kripa? How does it lead to Selfrealization?
M: Guru is the Self.... Sometimes in his life a man becomes dissatisfied with it, and, not content with what he has, he seeks the satisfaction of his desires,
through prayer to God etc. His mind is gradually purified until he longs to know God, more to obtain His grace than to satisfy his worldly desires. Then,
God’s grace begins to manifest. God takes the form of a Guru and appears to the devotee, teaches him the Truth and, moreover, purifies his mind by
association. The devotee’s mind gains strength and is then able to turn inward. By meditation it is further purified and it remains still without the least ripple.
That calm expanse is the Self.
The Guru is both ‘external’ and ‘internal’. From the ‘exterior’ he gives a push to the mind to turn inward; from the ‘interior’ He pulls the mind towards the
Self and helps in the quieting of the mind. That is guru kripa. There is no difference between God, Guru and the Self.

The Maharshi's Gospel

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2012, 01:57:52 PM »
Dear Ravi,

Quite true.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Passions
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2012, 08:27:38 PM »
Passions

D: How am I to deal with my passions? Am I to check them or satisfy them? If I follow Bhagavan’s method and ask, ‘To whom are these passions?’ they do not seem to die but grow stronger.

M: That only shows you are not going about my method properly. The right way is to find out the root of all passions, the source whence they proceed, and get rid of that. If you check the passions, they may get suppressed for the moment, but will appear again. If you satisfy them, they will be satisfied only for the moment and will again crave satisfaction. Satisfying desires and thereby trying to root them out is like trying to quench fire by pouring kerosene oil over it. The only way is to find the root of desire and thus remove it.

(Day by Day)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2012, 03:48:23 AM »
"The purpose of self-enquiry is to focus the entire mind at its source"

(Gospel)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2012, 03:51:57 AM »
“If you have surrendered, you must be able to abide by the will of God and not make a grievance out of what may not please you.”

(Talks 115)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2012, 07:07:54 AM »
D: After leaving this Ashram in October, I was aware of the Presence that prevails in Sri Bhagavan’s presence enfolding me for about ten days. All the
time, while busy in my work, there was an undercurrent of that peace in unity; it was almost like the dual consciousness which one experiences
while half-asleep in a dull lecture. Then, it faded out entirely, and the old stupidities came in instead. Work leaves no time for separate meditation. Is it
enough constantly reminding oneself ‘I AM’, while at work?

M: (After a short pause). If you strengthen the mind, that peace will continue for all time. Its duration is proportional to the strength of mind acquired by
repeated practice. And such a mind is able to hold on to the current. In that case, engagement or no engagement in work, the current remains
unaffected and uninterrupted. It is not the work that hinders but the idea that it is you who are doing it.

Maharshi's Gospel.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2012, 06:26:39 PM »
08-10-1945

Janaki, daughter of Subbarayadu, the Deputy Superintendent of Police of this place, asked Bhagavan, “ I want to do nama smarana always.  But I am also keen on getting higher education.(She is the first year College class).  What should I do?”

Bhagavan:  There is nothing contradictory between the two desires.

Janaki:  If I am always doing nama smarana, how can I carry on studies for  which the mind I required?

Bhagavan did not answer.  But Frydman and I told the girl,”It was said both could be done at the same time.”  Frydman added,”Give the mind to studies and heart to God.

From day by day with Bhagavan
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »
Dear Balaji,

Yes. Give the mind to work and give the Heart to Sri Bhagavan.

Arunachala Siva.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2012, 08:20:56 PM »

09-10-1945

K. Mahatani asked in continuation of the above, “If we want to succeed in any enterprise in the world, we must give our whole mind and heart to it.  Otherwise we cannot succeed.  So it is rather impracticable to devote one’s mind both to God and worldly activity”.

Bhagavan: If one keeps fixed in the Self,  the activities will still go on and their success will not be affected.  One should not have the idea that one is the doer.   The activities will still go on.   That force  by whatever name you may call it, which brought the body into existence will see to it that the activities which this body is meant to go through are brought about .

Mahatani was still not quite satisfied and thereupon Bhagavan referred him to read an article on renunciation which is found at the end of the Gita Press edition of Bhagavad Gita.   This article mentions seven stages of renunciation and Bhagavan said,” Let Mahatani see if anything in this article appeals to him,”  I read out the whole article in the hall for the benefit of all, as Bhagavan desired. It is said there that one who has reached the seventh stage of renunciation will not feel even when his body is cut by a weapon or some other suffering is inflicted on him.  When this portion was being read Bhagavan remembered the following poem which means:

They won’t be afraid even if  guileful enemies stab their chest or they are surrounded by fire or bitten by a cobra, all will be bliss for them.   This is found in Ponnamnbala Swami’s commentary on Bhagavad Gita in Tamil stanzas, Chapter VI Verse 17 (page 150 of the Asramam book).  Continuing this topic, I said ,”It is true such things are said in the books.   But see that the jnani feels pain.  Even one like Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa felt pain when he had cancer of the throat and cried out, ’Why has mother sent this pain to me ?”’

Bhagavan: It may be like that in the beginning, due to long association or habit.   But afterwards it will pass off.
Boundless Ocean of Grace Vol V

Day by Day With Bhagavan

Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2012, 03:25:16 AM »
Dear Balaji,

Yes. There is no pain or pleasure for a Jnani who is in a dynamic state of stillness. He has no body consciousness at all.
However, as Sri Bhagavan said 'due to long association of habits', sometimes they say that they have pain. Sri Bhagavan
also groaned during His illness. But when someone asked Him, whether: Are you having pain? He said, 'Yes. The body is
paining.'

Arunachala Siva 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2012, 03:53:49 AM »
I want to be further enlightened. Should I try to make no effort at all?

Here, it is impossible for you to be without effort. When you go deeper, it is impossible for you to make any effort.

If the mind becomes introverted through enquiry into the source of aham-vritti, the vAsanAs become extinct. The light of the Self falls on the vAsanAs and produces the phenomenon of reflection we call the mind. Thus, when the vAsanAs become extinct the mind also disappears, being absorbed into the light of the one reality, the heart.

This is the sum and substance of all that an aspirant needs to know. What is imperatively required of him is an earnest and one-pointed enquiry into the source of aham-vritti.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2012, 11:36:24 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Yes. Aham-vritti becomes Aham, I AM,  when the mind withdraws itself into Heart.

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2012, 11:53:39 AM »
The mind,the body and the world are not separate from the Self. They rise from and sink into the Self. They do not remain apart from the Self.Can they be different from the Self? Only be aware of the Self.

Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »
D.: Why then does Upadesa Sara speak of the body, etc., as jadai.e. insentient?

M.: Inasmuch as you say that they are body, etc., apart from the Self.But when the Self is found this body, etc., are also found to be in it. Afterwards no one will ask the question and no one will say that they are insentient.

Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi