Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 196475 times)

Pythagoras

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #885 on: December 16, 2014, 06:00:50 AM »
Hi,

What are some symptoms from inquiring?

I also notice while meditating when I am not inquiring, I am observing the source, Self, but I notice my eyes are usually turned backwards and usually has to move and It can't stay still. Am I doing something wrong?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #886 on: December 16, 2014, 01:12:57 PM »
Bhagavan Ramana Teachings:

'In the realm of Reality, God and man are one and the same.  Any difference felt (of separation) is but gross ignorance.'

'Ridding oneself of this ignorance is to realize the Truth that one is none other than God, who throbs  (from within) as I AM'
(Upadesa Undiyar Verses 24 & 25)

What is never is not. When a devotee asked Him, how to know the power of God, He said, 'You say I AM. That is it. What else
can say I AM?  One's own being is His Power.  The trouble arises only when one says, 'I am this or I am that, such and such.'
Do not do it. Be yourself.  That is all.'  (Talks No. 478)

The whole teaching of Bhagavan Ramana can be distilled in the words, BE. Abide as the Self. We are the Self which is
Sat Chit Brahman Atma God.

The killers destroyed Mansur, Jesus, Socrates, Gandhi and other men of God. But they killed the body, not the Self. The body
never was, the Self ever is.

According to an Eastern legend, 'Man lifted the veil from the Goddess of Sais and saw - Himself.' Sri Bhagavan lifts the veil
from man and shows him to be God!

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: December 16, 2014, 01:17:57 PM »
Arunachala is within and not without.

The Self is Arunachala.

How does one realize the Self?  All that is required to realize the Self is to be STILL.

And what does stillness mean?

It means 'destroy yourself.'

Every name and form is the cause of trouble.  'I-I' is the Self. 'I am this' is ego.

When the 'I' is kept up as the 'I' only, it is the Self.

When it flies off on a tangent and says 'I am this or that' it is ego.

Your duty is to BE and NOT TO BE this or that.

'I AM THAT I AM' sums up the whole truth.

The method is summarized in BE STILL.

After the Rain.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 17, 2014, 12:53:09 PM »

I have had the great opportunity and proud privilege of spending thirty five years with forty to fifty old devotees of Sri
Ramana Maharshi and also with many sages and saints. The one thing that they all taught me, as if in one voice, was
that 'the teacher is teaching''; and that the teaching is all important. Paying attention to the teaching is not the same as
paying attention to the person, the teacher. Therefore, 'seekers attention should be on 'teaching' and putting it into
practice alone. For the 'teaching' is the 'teacher'. Out of ignorance one takes the teacher to be merely the body.  The idea
of 'different' or 'many' teachers comes up only because of this basic ignorance in one's right understanding.  The old devotees
ever lived the teaching of Sri Ramana. And thereby were always living in Sadguru Bhagavan Ramana.  Thus, they were ever happy
and they always made every listener happy.  When one lives the teaching oneself, the aroma of teaching will help all the listeners.
The highest and greatest gratitude one can pay to a 'teacher' is to put into one's own life the practice of his teaching.

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: December 17, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »
One might be in the thick of the world and yet maintain perfect serenity of mind.  Such a person is always in solitude.

Another may stay in the forest but still be unable to control his mind. He cannot be said to be in solitude.

Solitude amounts to making the mind still.  Where is the forest and where is the way unless they are in you?

The Screen does not move when the picture moves. Similarly you do not move from where you are even when the body
leaves home and mixes in society.  Your body, society, the forest and the ways are all in You.  If you remain as pure
Self, the body and its movements will not affect you.  The mind must be overcome whether at home or in the forest.
If you can do it in the forest, why not in home?

After the Rain.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: December 17, 2014, 02:36:25 PM »
Listen!

I shall speak only the truth:

There is a place on this earth which grants deliverance to any created being, moving or unmoving -- by the mere remembrance
of its sacred name.

The spiritual center of creation, It draws gods, sages, and tapasvins -- in short, anyone who merely thinks of it -- to Itself.

Know that this place is Sivaloka itself and its every pebble the holy Linga.

Aruna of the Golden Fire - Sri Ramana's Lingam of Wisdom and Light.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #891 on: December 18, 2014, 02:39:56 PM »

The word 'GURU' in Sanskrit, means the dispeller of darkness. 'GU' is darkness -- dense darkness -- and 'RU' means  the
dispeller, the remover.  So, 'GURU' is one who removes the darkness.  What is the thickest and densest darkness?

The darkness one finds outside oneself is not the densest.  The darkness that is within oneself is the most dense, insurmountably
thick! Such inward darkness is 'IGNORANCE'. Ignorance of what?  Of one's own Truth, the Self.  This is the densest ignorance.
It is the ignorance of taking oneself to be only of the body, only of the mind, and forgetting that one is ever the Self, the only
Truth! To remove this ignorance, or to get out of this ignorance by oneself is very difficult, because it cannot be done by any
known means, like reading scriptures, observing austerities, resorting to religious practices.  It seems almost impossible!

But the very thing which appears impossible becomes very easy when one goes to a teacher, a true master, a Sadguru.

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: December 18, 2014, 02:46:13 PM »
Remaining quiet is what is called wisdom insight.  To remain quiet is to resolve the mind in the Self.

Thus there us a state when words cease and silence prevails.

Silence is the ocean into which all the rivers of all the religions discharge themselves.

It is the speech of the Self.

What one fails to know by conversation extending several years can be known in a trice of Silence.

That which IS, is Silence.

After the Rain.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: December 19, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »

In his presence, the impossibility becomes the easiest.  Remember the 'teacher' is the 'teaching', then alone literally one is
in the presence of the 'teacher'.  Putting into practice  the 'teaching' enables the apparently impossible hurdle becoming
the easiest aid!  The Guru is all compassion. His sole concern is to remove the dense darkness -- Moola Aviyda -- from the
seeker.  Thus, when one is in the presence of the Guru, which actually means putting His upadesa into practice, one's
ignorance is removed.

V, Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: December 19, 2014, 11:08:39 AM »
From silence cam the thought, from thought, the ego, and from ego, speech.  So if speech is effective, how much more so must
be its Source?   If of yore, the first of teachers revealed it through unbroken silence, who can reveal it in spoken words?

Such is Dakshinamurti. What did He do? He was silent.

Truth is beyond words.  It does not admit of explanation. All that is possible to do is to indicate It.

After the Rain.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: December 20, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »

'Guru' or 'Master' is not a status, position, like the President or Prime Minister of a country.  It is not even a state.  It is all
the Truth itself!  Guru is the Self, the Truth.  That is one's own Self is the real Guru. When one goes to an outer Guru, the only
teaching He will give it to awaken the 'inner Guru' in one's Heart.  The Guru being the Truth, for Him, there exists no untruth!
For the Sun there is no darkness.  Poets, onlookers, might say that when the Sun rises it drives away its enemy, the darkness.
But, truly, for the Sun there exists no darkness. Darkness is unknown factor for the Sun!  Likewise the Guru being wholly the
Truth, nothing but the Truth, how can untruth, the ignorance, the darkness, exists in His Presence? The 'Guru without' invokes
the 'Guru within.'

V.Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: December 20, 2014, 12:39:24 PM »
The Jnani weeps with the weeping, laughs with the laughing, plays with the playful, sings with those who sing, keeping time
with the song.

What does he lose?

His Presence is like a transparent mirror.

If you really want liberation, cast away the pleasures of sense objects as they were poison.

This body, is finally consumed, whether by earth, fire, beasts, or birds.

He who mistakes this body for the Self, gets attached to it.

Only he who overcomes this infatuation attains liberation.

After the Rain.

Arunachala Siva.     

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: December 20, 2014, 06:11:08 PM »
ANNAMALAI SWAMI ESSENTIALS

Don?t allocate periods of time to meditate ?I am? with closed eyes.
Do it throughout the day while doing all other activities.
If you want to go beyond the body and mind, abide in the ?I am? only and understand that all that is ?I am plus' is false.
Abidance or meditation in the ?I am? is a process by which attention is kept focused on the substratum instead of the names and forms that are habitually imposed on it.
When you abide in the ?I am? ignorance vanishes. Ignorance is not knowing the ?I am? in its absolute purity.

Excerpts from 'Living by the Words of Bhagavan
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 21, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »

Therefore, for the 'Guru within' too, there exists no ignorance at all!.  Arduously following His teaching, (invoking the
Guru within) in one's daily life, enables one experientially to  realize that there is no ignorance at all, no darkness at all!
Whatever exists, exists only as Fullness. And one is never away from this Wholeness!  Only one has to wake up to this
Truth!

Adhering strictly to the 'teaching' alone is true  adoration of the 'teacher', in all splendor and in an all round way!
For, the teaching is the teacher!

It is perhaps, easier to understand the above, in the light of the following revealing anecdote.

contd.,

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #899 on: December 21, 2014, 11:49:56 AM »
What prevents you from being your own Self?  The Self is always there.  It is You!

Why do you worry about life after death?  Whatever born is bound to die.  What is birth and what is death?   Death is
another name for us.

It says in the Upanishads that the Jnani looks forward to the time when he can throw off the body just as a laborer carrying
a heavy burden looks forward to laying it down.

Our real nature is to be without the body.

What is death but giving up the body?

After the Rain.

Arunachala Siva.