Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 197353 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #765 on: September 28, 2014, 05:09:43 PM »
Mind is nothing but a bundle of thoughts, says Sri Bhagavan. So thoughts are much subtler than even ether.  Subtler still
than thoughts is the parent thought, the 'I' thought, says Sri Bhagavan.

Beyond the 'I' thought is the Pure Mind, devoid of any thoughts, including the 'I' thought. This Pure Mind is the basis for
the rising of the 'I' thought immediately  on waking from sleep.  It is in the form of brilliance of course, without  of course
without form or heat.

Beyond this brilliance, illumination, the light, is the Self -- the subtlest of all,  the very ground, Turiya, on or from which
everything arises and into which everything subsides.

Bhagavan Ramana's Teachings.
V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 29, 2014, 11:39:55 AM »
Now, picture the place of  mind  in this geographical map. 

It is the one which subtler than ether, yet as gross as earth, in relation to the Self. See the predicament!

Does not the demand on us to transcend the Mind appear insurmountable, incomprehensible, and therefore
impossible?

That is:

We do not know what ether is.  Mind is subtler than ether.  Thus, how can we ever hope to get rid of something
which we do not even know?

Accepting the validity of the Upanishadic statement, that 'it is like walking on a razor's edge', the task does look
difficult and, perhaps, impossible!

Yet, sternly turn your attention to Sri Bhagavan Ramana, who confirms again and again that 'it is the easiest.'

The former statement poses it as a problem, whereas the latter categorically affirms the opposite.

That is:
If you want to tackle it as a problem, then the mind becomes all important, predominant, projecting the whole
undertaking as extraordinarily difficult, almost impossible.

Reverently turning to the Maharshi, we find the entire issue clarified: 'Raise the question, 'To whom is the problem?'
The answer is to me. Question further Who am I? Watch! Immediately, all thoughts stop. When there are no thoughts,
there is no mind.  You need no proof other than your own experience.  With the proper Self Inquiry, there ensues a state
where the mind has voluntarily becomes inoperative. A State of silence alone prevails.  That Silence is the Self.  You are
THAT - TAT TVAM ASI.'

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 30, 2014, 01:22:45 PM »
continues....

A newcomer to the Asramam asked Bhagavan, 'Is it possible to attain moksha while still in this body? Bhagavan said, 'What is
Moksha?  Who attains it?  Unless there is bondage, how can be Moksha? Who has that bondage?' 'Me' said the questioner.
'Who really are you? How did you get the bondage? And why? If you first know that, then we can think of attaining Moksha
while in this body', said Bhagavan.  Unable to ask any further questions, he kept quiet and after a while went away.

After he left, Bhagavan looked at the rest of us with kindness in His eyes and said,'Many people ask the same question.
They want to attain Moksha in this body.... Moksha is after all the attainment of perfect peace.  If therefore, peace cannot
be attained so long as the body for ever as it is, increases the bondage instead of decreasing it. It is an illusion,'
said Bhagavan.

contd.,

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 01, 2014, 03:27:25 PM »
Bhagavan has written nicely about this chit jada granthi in His Ulladu Narpadu, Verse 24 as follows:

'The body does not say 'I'. The Atman is not born. In between, the feeling 'I' is born in the whole body.
Whatever name you give it that is Chit Jaga granthi, the knot between the Consciousness and the inert,
and also bondage.

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: October 02, 2014, 09:51:55 AM »

At lunch, a visitor from Nellore, asked Sri Bhagavan for a tiny bit of food as prasad from His leaf plate.

Maharshi:  Eat without thinking of the ego. Then what you eat becomes Bhagavan's Prasad.

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #770 on: October 03, 2014, 01:49:06 PM »
'The mind is the cause of both bondage and liberation for man.  mana eva manushyam karanam bandha mokshyaoh.
The mind creates many illusions.'

The questioner: 'How ill that illusion disappear?

Bhagavan: 'If the secret of truth mentioned above is ascertained by Self Inquiry, the multiplicity resolves itself into five,
the five into three and the three into one.'

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #771 on: October 04, 2014, 12:48:26 PM »
Devotee: Contemplation is possible only with the control of mind and control of mind can be accomplished only by contemplation.
Is it not a vicious circle?

Maharshi: Yes. they are inter-dependent.  They must go on side by side. Practice and dispassion bring about the result gradually.
Dispassion is practiced to check the mind from being projected outwards; practice is o keep it turned inward.   There is a
struggle between control and contemplation. It is going on constantly within.  Contemplation will in due course be successful.

Devotee: How to begin?  Your Grace is needed for it.

Maharshi:  Grace is always there. Dispassion cannot be acquired, nor realization of the Truth, nor inherence in the Self,
in the absence of Guru's Grace.

Practice is necessary. It is like training a roguish bull confined to his stall by tempting him with luscious grass and
preventing him from straying.

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: October 05, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
The conversation turned upon the question as to whether Isvara Prasad (Divine Grace) is necessary for the attaining
of Samarajya (universal dominion) or whether a Jiva's honest and strenuous efforts to attain it cannot of themselves
lead him to That from whence there is no return to life and death.  The Maharshi with an ineffable smile, which lit
up His Holy Face, and which was all pervasive, shining upon the coterie around Him, replied in tones of certainty
and with the ring of truth, 'Divine Grace is essential for Realization.  It leads one to God realization. But such Grace
is vouchsafed only to him who a true devotee or a yogin, who has striven hard and ceaselessly on the path towards
freedom.

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: October 06, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »
You are being manipulated by a Higher Power.  You are admitting it by your own refusal to submit to It. Instead,
recognize the Power and submit as a tool.  Or, to put it differently, if you refuse, you will be forcibly drawn into it.
Instead of being an unwilling worker, be a willing one.'

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: October 07, 2014, 05:10:14 PM »
Sri Bhagavan was relating His death experience in Madurai of the vision of death.  'IN the vision of death, though all the
senses were benumbed, the aham sphurana (Self awareness) was clearly evident, so I realized that it was awareness that we
call 'I' and not the body.  This Self awareness never decays. It is unrelated to any anything. It is Self luminous. Even if
the body is burnt, it will not be affected. Hence I realized on that very day so clearly that that was 'I'.

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #775 on: October 08, 2014, 01:28:41 PM »
Devotee: What is Renunciation?

Maharshi: Giving up the Ego.

Devotee: Is it not giving up possessions?

Maharshi: The possessor too.

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #776 on: October 09, 2014, 01:50:53 PM »
'Awakening' is Godhood.  An awakened man realizes that his Consciousness is God.  The disorder that exists in our sleepy,
dreamy lives vanishes when we wake up and find our true identity.

Bhagavan Ramana says that our so called wakeful state is a dream, only it is a long dream.

The Jnani,  the awakened, Self Realized one says:

"I slept and dreamt that the world was real.

I woke and found that the world is a dream, the Self is real." 

He also found, 'I am Brahman' or 'Sivoham' ( I am Siva ) or Ana'l Haqq or even better as Bhagavan Ramana pointed out
'I AM'

What a beautiful word the Hebrew language has for God: Yahweh' which means ' I AM' Jehovah is the anglicized form
of the word Yaheh.

Sri Bhagavan said that the Old Testament's ' I AM that I AM' is even better than Aham Brahmasmi, I am Brahman as a
description of the Self.

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: October 10, 2014, 01:14:10 PM »
Can the world exist without someone to perceive it?  Which is prior?  The Being Consciousness or the rising consciousness?
The Being Consciousness is always there, eternal and pure.  The rising consciousness rises forth and disappears.  It is transient.

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #778 on: October 11, 2014, 01:06:20 PM »
Devotee:  What is the practice?

Maharshi: Constant search for 'I', the source of the Ego.  Find out 'Who am I?'  The pure 'I' is the Reality, the Absolute
Existence Consciousness Bliss.  When That is forgotten, all miseries crop up.  When that is held fast, the miseries do not
affect the person.

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 12, 2014, 12:56:04 PM »
Devotee: On inquiring into the origin of thoughts, there is a perception of 'I'. But it does not satisfy me,

Maharshi: Quite right.  The perception of 'I' is associated with a form, may be the body.  There should be nothing associated
with the pure Self.  The Self is the unassociated, pure Reality, in whose light, the body, the ego, etc., shine.  On stilling
all thoughts the Pure Consciousness remains over.

Just on waking up from sleep, and before becoming aware of the world there is that pure 'I'-- 'I'. Hold do it without
sleeping or without allowing thoughts to possess you.  If that is held firm, it does not matter even though the world is seen.
The seer remains unaffected by the phenomena.

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.,