Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 196489 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #750 on: September 21, 2014, 01:21:19 PM »

If the peace of mind is true Mukti or Liberation, how can those whose minds are set on siddhis (miraculous powers),
which cannot be attained except with the help and activity of the mind, attain Mukti, where all turmoil of the mind ceases?

Avoid desire and aversion.  Do not engage the mind much in the affairs of the world. As far as possible do not get
entangled in the affairs of others.  Giving to others is really giving to oneself.  If one knows this truth, would one ever
remain without giving? 

If ego rises, all will rise. If the ego merges, all will merge.  The more we are humble, better it is for us. 

The best and most potent diksha (initiation) is by silence, which was practiced by Lord Dakshinamurti.  Those by touch,
look, etc., are of a lower order.  Mouna can change all hearts.  ]

Bhagavan, when asked by a devotee whether he should continue taking the name of God as advised by his late Guru,
or change over to Vichara (inquiry) by the devotees to an article in Vision of September 1937, on the 'Philosophy of
the Divine Nama according to Saint Namadev', in which it is explained that God and God's Name are all the same.

contd.,

Gems from Bhagavan.
Devaraja Mudaliar.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 22, 2014, 01:50:48 PM »

The Sun illumines the universe, whereas the Sun of Arunachala is so dazzling, that in It the universe is not seen;
there remain only an unbroken brilliance.

It is not true that the birth as a man is necessarily the highest, that one must attain  Self Realization while being a man.
Even an animal can attain Self Realization.

There is no need for anyone to start reforming the country or the nation before reforming himself  Each man's first duty
is to realize his True Nature.  If after doing this, he feels like reforming the country or nation, by all means let him take
up such reform.  Swami Ram Tirtha advertised: 'Wanted Reformers - but Reformers who will reform themselves first.'

No two persons in the world can be alike or can act alike.  External differences are bound to persist, however hard we
may try to eliminate them.  The only solution is for each man to realize his True Nature.

The Brihadaranyaka Upanishad says, 'Aham' is the first name of God.  The first letter in Sanskrit is 'A' and the last
letter is 'Ha' and 'Aha' thus includes everything from the beginning to end.  The word Ayam, Atma, Aham all refer to
the same thing.  In the Bible also, 'I AM' is given as the first name of God.

contd.,

Gems from Bhagavan.
Devaraja Mudaliar.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 22, 2014, 03:44:18 PM »
By the powerful Quest of 'Who am I?' one realizes that one is actually the screen on which the film of actions and
experiences come and go.  The pictures in the movie have a beginning and an end, but the Screen  on which they
are projected and an end, but the Screen on which they are projected, is unchanging and eternal.

Sri Ramana said that feeling of 'I' is everyone's experience.  This is the ground on which the states of waking, dream
and deep sleep come and go. 

The Path of Self Inquiry is to hold on to the 'I', transcending all the different states of experience. To be  - to remain
as the unchanging 'I' at all times - Sri Ramana Maharshi said to be the Truth. There is no Truth apart from Being.
To achieve that, intuitive analysis of one's own experience of waking, dream. and deep sleep is essential.

Bhagavan Ramana's Teaching.
V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.         

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 22, 2014, 07:35:03 PM »
The importance of the Ribhu Gita can be gauged from the fact Bhagavan right from the days at Virupaksha Cave, often recommended its recitation and sat with his devotees on many occasions when they chanted it. He encouraged devotees to regularly read and study the Ribhu Gita. He also affirmed that its repetition was a powerful aid to Self-enquiry, and said, "These readings from the Ribhu Gita are as good as samadhi" (Self-Realization by B.V. Narasimha Swami, Ch. 26. First edition).

By chanting the Gita the mind becomes more and more attuned with the Reality. And when the mind becomes purified by this practice, it is easier to take it back to its source and remain there.
There is one recorded instance where Bhagavan presented a devoteei, Sampurnamma with a copy of the Ribhu Gita and asked her to study it. When she declined to do it on the grounds she did not understand the Gita's import, Bhagavan persisted and asked her to read it all the same. "It doesn't matter that you do not understand it," he said, "still it will be of benefit to you". (The Mountain Path, June 1993, p.103) .

The book (Ribhu Gita) was translated into Tamil by Sri Lokanatha Swamigal in the 1880's and was praised by the Paramacharya who said it excelled the original Sanskrit. The final verse of each of the forty-four chapters differs dramatically from the Sanskrit version. The concluding verse also encapsulates the meaning of the entire chapter. It was this version which was often read before Bhagavan. He would in later life speak about the Ashtavakra Gita and Ribhu Gita as being the two principle texts which enunciated in great detail the nature of the Self (Brahma swarupa). (Letters and Recollections by Suri Nagamma, 24th April 1948)
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 23, 2014, 08:28:29 AM »
D.: Can it be complete happiness to remain Self-realised if one does not contribute to the happiness of the world? How can one be so happy when there is a war in Spain, a war in China? Is it not selfishness to remain Self-realised without helping the world?

M.: The Self was pointed out to you to cover the universe and also transcend it. The world cannot remain apart from the Self. If the realisation of such Self be called selfishness that selfishness must cover the world also. It is nothing contemptible.

D.: Does not the realised man continue to live just like a non-realised being?

M.: Yes, with this difference that the realised being does not see the world as being apart from the Self, he possesses true knowledge and the internal happiness of being perfect, whereas the other person sees the world apart, feels imperfection and is miserable. Otherwise their physical actions are similar.

D.: If the world is only a dream, how should it be harmonised with the Eternal Reality?

M.: The harmony consists in the realisation of its inseparateness from the Self.

(From Talks 487)
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 23, 2014, 01:25:38 PM »

If we concentrate on any thought and go to sleep, in that state, immediately on waking up, the same thought will
continue in our minds.  People who are given chloroform, are asked to count one, two etc., A man who goes under
after saying six, for instance, will, when he comes round again, start saying seven, eight, etc.,

When I lay down with limbs outstretched and mentally enacted the death scene, and realized that the body would
be taken and cremated and yet I would live, some force, call it Atmic power or anything else, rose within me and
took possession of me.  With that I was reborn and I became a new man.  I became indifferent to everything afterwards,
having neither likes nor dislikes.

From silence came thought. From thought the ego, and from ego speech.  So, if speech is effective, how more so must be
its source viz. silence?

Karupura Arathi (burning camphor before God) is symbolic of burning away the mind by the light of illumination.
Vibhuti (sacred ash) is Siva, (Absolute Being) and kumkum (vermilion powder) is Sakti (consciousness).

The puranas speak of this Hill (Arunachala) as being hollow, with cities and streets inside it.  I have also seen such
things in visions.  The books speak of the Heart as a cavity. But penetration into it proves to be an expanse of light.
Similarly the Hill is one of Light.  The caves, etc., are covered up with that light.

The means prescribed for securing the spiritual end, such as charity penance, sacrifice, dharma, yoga, bhakti and the end
itself described variously as Heaven, the Supreme Object, Peace, Truth, Grace, the Quiesscent State, Deathless Death,
True Knowledge, renunciation, Moksha and Bliss are nothing but being free from the obsession that the body is the Self.

Give up regarding yourself as the despicable body, and realize your True Nature, which is one of Eternal Bliss. Seeking
to know thyself while still anxious about the welfare of the body, is like attempting to cross a stream with the aid of
a crocodile for a raft.

Not desiring the non Self is dispassion (vairagya). Inhering in the Self is Jnana.  Both are the same.

Gems from Bhagavan.
Devaraja Mudaliar.

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 23, 2014, 01:32:34 PM »

Ramamurthi asked, 'Where does the difference come between the atom and the infinite?'  'It comes from the body
itself.' said Bhagavan.  Ramamurthi asked, 'How is that we see so many forces in the world?'  Bhagavan said 'The
mind alone is the cause.  It is the mind that makes you see so many different forces.  When that is born, all else is
also born. The five elements, and the forces beyond the elements, whatever they are, and the forces beyond others
also take shape, once the mind is born.  If the mind is dissolved, all the others, also get dissolved.  The mind is the
cause of everything.

Bhagavan Ramana's Teachings.
V. Ganesan.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 24, 2014, 12:56:30 PM »
The Brahmin again asked pointedly, 'Even though people commit adultery and theft and take alcoholic drinks and so on,
can their sins be wiped out by doing Japam with the mantras mentioned above. Or will the sins stick to them?'

'If the feeling 'I am doing Japa is not there, the sins committed by a man will not stick to him.  If the feeling 'I am dong the Japa'
is there, why should not the sin arising from bad habits stick on?' said Bhagavan.  'So long as the feeling, 'I am doing' is there,
one must experience the result of one's acts, whether they are good or bad.  How is possible to wipe out one act with another?
When the feeling that 'I am doing' is lost, nothing affects a man.  Unless one realizes the Self, the feeling 'I am dong will never
vanish.'

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.       

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 25, 2014, 02:00:57 AM »
Except (the effort made in) the path of enquiring
in to the ego, no amount of effort made as
enjoined in other paths such as karma, (yoga and
so on,) will enable you to obtain and enjoy Self,
the treasure in the heart !

Guru Vachaka Koval, verse 885
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:23:16 AM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 25, 2014, 02:10:46 AM »

As you practise more and more abiding in this
existence-consciousness (that is, remaining in the
state between sleep and waking), the ordinary
sleep which had previously been taking possession
of you will melt away, and the waking which was
full of sense-knowledges (vishayas) will not creep
in again, Therefore repeatedly and untiringly abide
in it.

Sadhanai Saram
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:22:55 AM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 25, 2014, 02:17:28 AM »

With true love and faith, follow that religion in
which you have belief and turn within; do not
jump outwards, criticizing and arguing against
other religions on account of bigotry for your own
religion.

Guru Vachaka Kovai. verse 991

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 25, 2014, 12:57:45 PM »
Devotee:  Surrender is impossible.

Maharshi: Yes. Complete Surrender is impossible in the beginning.  Partial surrender is certainly possible for all.
In course of time, that will lead to complete surrender.  Well, if surrender is impossible, what can be done?  There
is no peace of mind.  You are helpless to bring it about. It can be done only by surrender.

Bhagavan Ramana's Teachings:
V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 26, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »
Devotee:  What is Sphrana? - shining?

Maharshi:  Aham, Aham is the Self; Aham idam is 'I am this' or 'I am that' is the ego.  Shining is there always.
The ego is transitory.  When the 'I' is kept up as 'I' alone, it the Sefl; Sphurana.  When it flies at a tangent
and says, 'this', it is the ego.

V, Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 26, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »
Bhagavan:

God and the Guru are not really different; they are iden?tical. He that has earned the Grace of the Guru shall un?doubtedly be saved and never forsaken, just as the prey that has fallen into the tiger?s jaws will never be allowed to escape. But the disciple, for his part, should unswervingly follow the path shown by the Master.

V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 27, 2014, 04:21:46 PM »
To tread the path of Self Knowledge is like walking on a razor's edge.'  This famous statement of the scriptures is often
quoted by those who give religious discourses in order to warn and frighten the seekers who long to turn to turn to the
practice of spirituality.

But Sri Bhagavan emphatically asserts:

Self Knowledge is an easy thing,
The easiest thing there is.

Is it easy or difficult?

It is both!

It is most difficult as long as you cling to your mind to help take you to the region of Self Knowledge; it is incapable
of doing it! 

Rather, we must reject the mind, ignore its many-tongued voices and transcend its limits by turning within: Then
Self Knowledge is the easiest thing there is. 

With mind, you are far, far away from Self Knowledge, unreachable by the mind.

Bhagavan  Ramana's Teachings.
V. Ganesan.

Arunachala Siva.