Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 197332 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2012, 12:25:56 PM »
You and I are the same. What I have done is surely possible for all. You are the Self now and can never be anything else. Throw your worries to the wind, turn within and find Peace.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2012, 12:28:38 PM »
"Heart" is merely another name for the Supreme Spirit, because He is in all hearts. The entire Universe is condensed in the body, and the entire body in the Heart. Thus the Heart is the nucleus of the whole Universe.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2012, 04:32:11 PM »

By T.K.Sundersa Iyer

Bhagavan asked me to fetch the book Dakshinamurti Ashtotra, which I had not read, and opening a page therein he gave it to me to read. The fifth name from the last read "Om Sri Yoga Pattabhiramaya namaha." Bhagavan then said, "Sri Rama is Dakshinamurti, and Dakshinamurti is Sri Rama. Do you know where Ayodhya is? The Vedas say it is in the sun, and describe it is as ashtachakra navadwara devanam purayodhya (the gods' city is Ayodhya with eight corners and nine gates). Arunachala is also ashtachakra puri (eight-cornered city), and Lord Arunachala is Sri Rama as well as Dakshinamurti. One has no need to go to the sun to see Ayodhya or Sri Rama, but one may see them here and now."

from the newsletters of Arunachala Ashram
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2012, 04:44:41 PM »
Dear all,

Hrydayam is that where everything is born, is sustained, and gets absorbed. Hrudayam is not merely on the right
side of the chest. It is everywhere. It covers the entire universe and beyond. For practitioners, it is said you meditate
on the Hrudyam which is the Self. Once a devotee, out of curiosity, came and touched the right chest of Sri Bhagavan.
He found ticking three times, a pause and again ticking three times!

Arunachala Siva. 

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2012, 04:46:57 PM »
Thank you for information, Sri Udai and Sri Subramanian!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2012, 04:49:13 PM »
Dear Hari,

Hrudayam means hrt ayam - It IS.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2012, 04:21:01 AM »

Not forgetting consciousness [i.e. not forgetting one's own Self-consciousness due to pramada or inattentiveness] is the path of devotion [bhakti], the relationship of unfading real love, because the real consciousness of Self, which shines as the undivided [non-dual] supreme bliss itself, surges as the nature of love [or bhakti].

(Guru Vachaka Kovai, 974)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2012, 01:58:04 PM »
by  Mercedes de Acosta's

Question: Is reincarnation a fact?
Bhagavan: You are incarnated now, aren't you? Then you will be so again. But as the body is illusion then the illusion will repeat itself and keep on repeating itself until you find the real Self.
Question: What is death and what is birth?
Bhagavan: Only the body has death and birth, and it (the body) is illusion. There is, in Reality, neither birth nor death.
Question: How much time may elapse between death and rebirth?
Bhagavan: Perhaps one is reborn within a year, three years or thousands of years. Who can say? Anyway what is time? Time does not exist.
Question: Why have we no memory of past lives?
Bhagavan: Memory is a faculty of the mind and part of the illusion. Why do you want to remember other lives that are also illusions? If you abide within the Self, there is no past or future and not even a present since the Self is out of time - timeless.
Question: Are the world, the mind, ego and the body all the same thing?
Bhagavan: Yes. They are one and the same thing. The mind and the ego are one thing, but there is no word to explain this. You see, the world cannot exist without the mind, the mind cannot exist without what we call the ego (itself, really) and the ego cannot exist without a body.
Question: Then when we leave this body, that is when the ego leaves it, will it (the ego) immediately grasp another body?
Bhagavan: Oh, yes, it must. It cannot exist without a body.
Question: What sort of a body will it grasp then?
Bhagavan: Either a physical body or a subtle-mental body.
Question: Do you call this present physical body the gross body?
Bhagavan: Only to distinguish it - to set it apart in conversation. It is really a subtle-mental body also.
Question: What causes us to be reborn?
Bhagavan: Desires. Your unfulfilled desires bring you back. And in each case - in each body - as your desires are fulfilled, you create new ones. You must conquer desire to be absorbed into the One and thus end rebirth.
Question: Can sex change in rebirth?
Bhagavan: Oh, surely. We have all been both sexes many times.
Question: Is it possible to sin?
Bhagavan: Having a body, which creates illusion, is the only sin, and the body is our only hell. But it is right that we observe moral laws. The discussion of sin is too difficult for a few lines.
Question: Does one who has realized the Self lose the sense of 'I'?
Bhagavan: Absolutely.
Question: Then to you there is no difference between yourself and myself, that man over there, my servant - are all the same?
Bhagavan: All are the same, including those monkeys.
Question: But the monkeys are not people. Are they not different?
Bhagavan: They are exactly the same as people. All creatures are the same in One Consciousness.
Question: Do we lose our individuality when we merge into the Self?
Bhagavan: There is no individuality in the Self. The Self is One - Supreme.
Question: Then individuality and identity are lost?
Bhagavan: You don't retain them in deep sleep, do you?
Question: But we retain them from one birth to another, don't we?
Bhagavan: Oh, yes. The 'I' thought (the ego) will recur again, only each time you identify with it a different body and different surroundings around the body. The effects of past acts (karma) will continue to control the new body just as they did the old one. It is karma that has given you this particular body and placed it in a particular family, race, sex, surroundings and so forth.
Bhagavan added, "These questions are good, but tell de Acosta (he always called me de Acosta) she must not become too intellectual about these things. It is better just to meditate and have no thought. Let the mind rest quietly on the Self in the cave of the Spiritual Heart. Soon this will become natural and then there will be no need for questions. Do not imagine that this means being inactive. Silence is the only real activity." Then Guy added, "Bhagavan says to tell you that he sends you his blessings."
This message greatly comforted me.

Om Namo Bhagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2012, 02:16:48 PM »
Insincerity

When we were living with Bhagavan there was one thing we could never be: insincere.There was no way we could fool him on this account.
Once a group of influential devotees from Madras came up with a scheme to take Bhagavan away to Madras. In an attempt to execute this plan, a number of them arrived at the ashram and came into the hall. It wasn't long before they realized that Bhagavan would never consent to leave Ramanasramam, and eventually they left.
One old devotee was sitting in the corner of the hall quietly watching the whole drama unfold. He said nothing while the discussion was underway, though he was secretly in collusion with the group from Madras. After the group left, Bhagavan turned to one of his attendants and said, "Some people will sit quietly as if they have nothing to do with what is taking place before them. But on the contrary, they have everything to do with what is going on."
The old devotee questioned, "Bhagavan, are you testing me?"
Bhagavan simply remained silent. Any acts of insincerity were easily known to Bhagavan and he did not hesitate to point them out.

from the newsletters of Arunachala Ashram

Om Namo Bhagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2012, 03:08:18 PM »
Dear Balaji,

Sri Bhagavan knew everything, past, present, and future. He was a Sarvajna - all knowing.

Arunachala Siva.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »

If one abuses another or injures him the remedy does not lie in retort or resistance. Simply keep quiet. This quiet will bring peace to the injured but make the offender restless until he is driven to admit his error to the injured party.
— Sri Ramana Maharshi

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2012, 06:55:21 AM »
D: The final state of Realization according to Advaita, is said to be the absolute Union with the Divine and according to Visishtadvaita, a qualified union, while Dvaita maintains that there is no union at all. Which of these should be considered the correct view?

M: Why speculate as to what will happen some time in the future? All are agreed that the ‘I’ exists. To whichever school of thought he may belong, let the earnest seeker first find out what the ‘I’ is. Then it will be time enough to know what the final State will be, whether the ‘I’ will get merged in the Supreme Being or stand apart from Him. Let us not forestall the conclusion, but keep an open mind.

D: But will not some understanding of the final state be a helpful guide even to the aspirant?

M: No purpose is served in trying to decide now what the final state of Realization will be. It has no intrinsic value.

D: Why so?

M: Because you proceed on a wrong principle. Your ascertainment has to depend on the intellect which shines only by the light it derives from the Self. Is it
not presumptuous on the part of the intellect to sit in judgement over that of which it is but a limited manifestation, and from which it derives its little light
?
How can the intellect which can never reach the Self be competent to ascertain, and much less decide the nature of the final state of Realization? It is like
trying to measure the sunlight at its source by the standard of the light given by a candle
. The wax will melt down before the candle comes anywhere near
the sun.Instead of indulging in mere speculation, devote yourself here and now to the search for the Truth that is ever within you.

The Maharshi's Gospel

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2012, 07:49:54 AM »
Dear Ravi,

Excellent. Intellect is helpful only to the extent of what Self Inquiry is. It can never describe the state of self realization.
Since Self Realization is experiential, no amount of description of what it is, will suffice.

Arunachala Siva.   

cefnbrithdir

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2012, 02:47:47 PM »

Dear Subramanian Sir

And yet all the revelations and teachings of Bhagavan, the Vedas, Tripura Rahasya - which I am presently reading - may help quieten the mind on an intellectual level and faith gives no room to doubt.

I know that Bhagavan would likely advise someone suffering from doubt to ask "Who is the doubter" "From where does doubt come". But would not  faith in knowledge precluding any doubt prior to Knowledge be preferential. One less thing for Self Inquiry to have to deal with.

Am I right in thinking that this is  what you meant by "Intellect is helpful only to the extent of what Self Inquiry is" ?

Thank you

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2012, 02:54:38 PM »
Dear cefnbrithdir,

Sri Bhagavan did not ask the devotees to find out who is the doubter for all questions. Many questions about the progress
in Self Inquiry or even clarifications of subtle points on Self Inquiry, He has answered elaborately. Only some irrelevant questions
like, Am I fit for self inquiry? Am I not sinful? I doubt whether self inquiry is suited to me....Only upon such questions, He would retort
asking to find out who is the doubter. Because the little 'I' is a mischievous element. It will doubt everything but the world. But it
will not doubt the world! So Sri Bhagavan used to ask Find out who is the doubter, or who is doubting so?

Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni used to say that this is Brahmastram, a deadly weapon of gods! Because once He asks who is the
doubter? you will say, it is 'I". Then He will ask: What is this 'I'? Is the 'I' real> Are you not the Self?.....

Arunachala Siva.