Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 196827 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #420 on: August 18, 2013, 11:33:08 AM »

An inevitable consequence of Bhagavan's state as a Jivan Mukta, permanently established in the egoless state, was that He
could not claim any rights, even the right to choose what shall be done or not done to His body, because from His point of view,
that the body was not His.  Also, He was so full of compassion, that He could not bear to hurt anyone's feelings.  Anyone that
came to Him offering edibles or medicine, was sure of its being accepted, though He did not want it.  Once He said, 'Nature cure
is right. But....' He did not complete the sentence.

Yet He showed His real view of drugs by implication.  When a quantity of drug had to be taken for some period, He would take
only one doze and would never take a second.  That is, He would not follow the prescription as one who believed in the goodness
of drug wold so, so as to benefit by it.

The same was the case when a surgery was proposed.  He submitted to the surgery only to please the person who wanted
to do Him good. 

On the last occasion, when a number of doctors and surgeons who came from Madras wanted to operate on Him to remove
the cancer He was having, He first gently suggested that it was not necessary.  He did that because He knew the future,
that the end was near.  The doctors did not take the hint.  They insisted upon operating and hence Sri Bhagavan submitted to
it without an anaesthetic.  The surgery lasted for nearly three hours and produced a severe shock, from which the body
never recovered. 

When all these medical efforts had failed, a number of devotees came to Him and prayed to Him to use His spiritual powers
to heal the disease.  Bhagavan replied:  'I did not want any treatment. It was you who wanted it.'  After a brief pause,
He added: 'In two more days it will become alright.'

What He meant was that the end would come then.  And it came exactly as He said.

K. Lakshmana Sarma - Silent Power.

Arunachala Siva.                     

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 18, 2013, 12:19:47 PM »
Subramanian,
May i request you to post reminiscences on sri bhagavan in -our bhagavan stories thread.
This will help to keep this thread for sri bhagavan's teachings and what he had spoken or written.
Namaskar

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 19, 2013, 01:53:07 PM »
I am a native of Tiruchuzhi.  I knew Ramana Maharshi when He lived there as a young boy.  On a few occasions, I would have
seen Him.  Then He went to Dindigul and Madurai.  I also went away from Tiruchuzhi.  Years later when I returned to Tiruchuzhi
I heard of His discovery at Tiruvannamalai soon after His mother therefrom.  But though I had regard for Him I came to
Tiruvannamalai see Him only about ten years ago (this must have been in 1920 or thereabouts.). Since then I my faith in Him
increased.  I and my sons and relations have come frequently thereafter.  From infancy my sons have been going to Him. As for
special experience in my visits, I have none.  I have not even asked the Maharshi questions as a rule.  Once or twice I asked Him:

L:  I am dumb and don't possess much intelligence. What to do?

Maharshi: It is good that you know you are dumb.  If a fool does not know his foolishness that is wrong.  Since you know
your state, it will disappear by and by.

L: How will it go?

Maharshi: You are doing Siva puja.  Aren't you?  That is enough, your dumbness will go through that means.

L: How will attain a good state?

Maharshi: You perform puja till you think it is necessary.  Then, when you slowly realize that you and the worshipped God
are one and the same, the puja will leave you.  You will realize the oneness. 

Mountain Path, Oct. - Dec. 2005)

Arunachala Siva.           

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 21, 2013, 08:37:49 AM »
Talk 322.
A cultured lady, daughter of a well-known solicitor of Madras asked:
What should one do in order to remain free from thoughts as advised by you? Is it only the enquiry “Who am I?”
M.: Only to remain still. Do it and see.
D.: It is impossible.
M.: Exactly. For the same reason the enquiry “Who am I?” is advised.
D.: Raising the question, no response comes from within.
M.: What kind of response do you expect? Are you not there? What more?
D.: Thoughts rise up more and more.
M.: Then and there raise the same question, “Who am I?”
D.: Should I do so as each thought arises? Well. Is the world our thought only?
M.: Leave this question to the world. Let it ask, “How did I come into being?”
D.: Do you mean that it is not related to me?
M.: Nothing is perceived in deep sleep; all these are seen only after waking; only after thoughts arise the world comes into being; what can it be but thought?
Another visitor asked: What should we do to make the mind still?
M.: First let the mind be caught hold of and brought here: then we shall consider ways and means of stilling it.
D.: I meant to say that it is always changing - even when we do our japa.
M.: Japa is meant only for stilling the mind.
D.: What japa is good for it?
M.: Anything suitable, such as Gayatri.
D.: Will Gayatri do?
M.: Can anything excel it? Only those who cannot do it look for others. It contains the whole range of truth in it. Chanting (japa) will lead to dhyana (meditation) and it is the means for realising the Self.
D.: Will half an hour a day do for it?
M.: It must be done always, or as long as you can

Talks with Sri Ramana maharshi

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 21, 2013, 08:43:02 AM »
The next day a visitor asked Bhagavan, with reference to the words dhimahi in the gayatri, “What is the idea meant? I am not able rightly to grasp it.”
B: The words only mean fixing the aham in the Self, though literally they mean, “We meditate”.
Visitor: I am not able to form a conception of the ‘Tat’ or the Self. Then, how am I to fix the aham in the Tat.
B: Why should you bother to conceive the Tat which you don’t know? Try to find out the ‘I’ that you know, what it is and whence it arises. That is enough.

Day by Day with Bhagavan

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 23, 2013, 12:00:08 PM »

Iruntha padikke iru

Be as you are.

Guru aruL chelutthum vazhikke sel

(In the worldly matters)
go as per the directions of the Guru.

OdukinRa neeril kiLLipotta ilayai pol iru -

Be like that bit of leaf thrown on the running waters.
Go as the waters take you; do not resist.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 23, 2013, 05:06:09 PM »
Self-enquiry, ‘Who am I?’ is a different technique from the meditation – ‘I am Siva’, or ‘I am He’. I rather emphasise Self-Knowledge, for you are first concerned with yourself before you proceed to know the world or its Lord. The ‘I am He’ or ‘I am Brahman’, meditation is more or less mental, but the quest for the Self of which I speak is a direct method and is superior to it. For, the moment you get into the quest for the Self and begin to go deeper, the real Self is waiting there to receive you and then whatever is to be done is done by something else and you, as an individual, have no hand in it. In this process all doubts and discussions are automatically given up, just as one who sleeps forgets all his cares for the time being.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 23, 2013, 05:47:31 PM »
One afternoon as Sri Bhagavan re-entered the Hall, the attendant turned on the electric fan as it was sultry  After a few minutes
Sri Bhagavan insisted on stopping it. 

He said: 'When one is tired, the breathing becomes a little hard and irregular.  Then the fan serves to harmonize the breath.
That is all its purpose.  To continue fanning afterwards would be a waste.

Sri Bhagavan was opposed, of course, to any form of waste!

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 23, 2013, 05:52:11 PM »

Disciple: Can a Jnani be intensely active?

Guru: The more active the less blissful. The less active the more blissful is the Jnani. But in either case his Jnana remains the
same.  Activity, though uncongenial to Bliss of Liberation, is not so to Liberation itself, for there is no longer the delusion of
bondage in activity or non activity.

-Vichara Mani Maala;

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 23, 2013, 06:03:12 PM »

In a bamboo forest, the bamboos move in the wind, rub against one another, and produce fire, which burns down the parent
trees.  So also knowledge born of Maya burns Maya to ashes.

Sri Bhagavan.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 23, 2013, 06:05:05 PM »

I am alone and nothing is mine, nor do I pertain to anything else. I can find none whose I am or who is mine.

Sri Bhagavan. (Devi kalottaram translation).

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 23, 2013, 06:09:26 PM »

Devotee: There is vastness experienced.  Probably it is just below Bhuma but close to it. Am I right?

Maharshi: Bhuma alone is.  Nothing else. It is the mind which says all this.

Devotee: Transcending the mind I feel the vastness.

Maharshi: Yes -- Yes.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 23, 2013, 06:11:45 PM »

Just as a lamp spontaneously goes out if not fed with oil, so also the ego becomes extinct if one meditates unceasingly
and becomes merged in the Self.  There is no higher gain than the Self.

Sri Bhagavan - quoting from Atma Satkashkara.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 23, 2013, 06:14:10 PM »

By whose light the Sun and other luminaries shine forth, but which is not itself illumined by them and in whose light all
this is seen, know it to be Brahman. 

Sri Bhagavan, quoting from Atma Bodha.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 23, 2013, 06:18:53 PM »

Awareness is detachment,
Awareness is purity.
Awareness is propinquity to God.
Awareness unforgotten is
Freedom from fear and immortality;