Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 196338 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #405 on: August 10, 2013, 09:13:37 PM »

The source is a point without any dimensions. It expands
as the cosmos on the one hand and as Infinite bliss on the
other. That point is the pivot. From it a single vasana starts
and expands as the experiencer (‘I’), the experience and the
experienced (the world).

(Gems)
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 11, 2013, 05:49:26 AM »

In March 1939, Somerset Maugham came to the Asramam.  Many accounts have been given of his visit and all of them are
different. As I was the principal person concerned in looking after him, I have decided to give my own version.  He was
brought to the Asramam by a friend of mine, Mrs. Austin, wife of the Collector of Madras.  The party had first gone to the Dak
Bungalow to take their lunch, but finding it full, had come on to the Asramam. They asked me if I could find somewhere for them
where they could have the meal they had brought with them.  I arranged for one of the small rooms near my own.  As I had
already had my meal, at their request I sat and talked with them while they ate. Somerset Maugham asked innumerable
questions about my life in the Asramam, apologizing for his inquisitiveness. 

At the end of the meal, which they had taken on the verandah with Somerset Maugham sitting more or less in the sun, he
fainted. Many absurd stories were circulated to account for this;  that he had seen Bhagavan and this was a state of Samadhi
brought on by the meeting, and such like. Actually he had not seen Bhagavan at all.  It was probably a slight sun stroke,
though he himself said that he had been liable to such black outs occasionally since birth.

We carried him to my room and laid him on my bed.  I then went to Bhagavan and told him what had happened and asked Him,
when He went out for His stroll at about 2 'O clock, to come my room and see Somerset Maugham who was now unfit to come
to the Hall, and Bhagavan agreed.

I met Bhagavan on the way and as we approached my room, Somerset Maugham was just coming out.  He said that he now
felt better and was on his way to the Hall.  I told him to go back into the room and sit down as Bhagavan had come to him there
instead.  Bhagavan and Somerset Maugham sat opposite to each other for about half an hour without uttering a word.  At the
end of which Somerset Maugham looked nervously across in my direction and said, 'Is there any need to say anything?'
'No' replied Bhagavan, 'Silence is the best. Silence is itself conversation.'

After some further period Bhagavan turned to me and in His child like way said, 'I think I had better be going, they will be
looking for me.'  As no one in the Asramam knew where he had gone except the attendant who always accompanied Him,
this was correct. After Bhagavan had returned to the Hall the rest of the party remained in my room for tea.  After tea,
Somerset Maugham, who was wearing a large pair of boots, wanted to go to the Hall, and see where Bhagavan usually
lived. I took him to the Western window through which he looked for some time with interest, making mental notes.  He says
in his indifferent and quite uninspired article, 'The Saint' published in a series of essays twenty years after the event, that he
sat in the Hall in Bhagavan's presence!  But this is untrue, because he could not enter with his boots, he only gazed into the
Hall from outside.  He also tacked a certain amount of philosophy onto Bhagavan which Bhagavan could never have uttered in
His life. But such is the habit of famous authors, to put their opinions into the mouth of others.

Major Chadwick

Arunachala Siva.                 

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 11, 2013, 07:21:01 PM »

Peace of mind, which is desired by everyone, is not attained by anyone, anywhere, through any means
 except through the grace of the Guru.
Therefore, those who want peace should continuously enquire and seek alone that grace in the Heart,
with their whole mind. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 12, 2013, 05:30:48 PM »
After I had been here a day or two, Bhagavan asked somebody  to give me a copy of Who am I? and told me read it.
Here is contained the essence of His teaching, though given by Him as a youth of only 21, it never needed to be changed.
Bhagavan might talk of all sorts of philosophy and explain systems in answer to questions, but His teaching and instruction
for Sadhana was all contained in Who am I? Everything else , as far as He was concerned, was padding or expansion for those
who were not satisfied with the simplicity and straightforward explanation of this little book.  He had always insisted that the
book should be sold so cheaply that it was available to the poorest and originally it cost no more than half an anna.

This wonderful little book comprises one of the first set of instructions given by Bhagavan in about 1902, in writing as He was
not speaking at that time.  They are direct from His own experience and in no way influenced by His reading of various Upanishads
and other sacred writings which were afterwards brought to Him to explain.  Later reading these books, He realized the philosophic
import of what had happened to Him and so was able to coordinate His experiences and fit them into the Hindu tradition.
But in this book we have His teachings at first hand and uncolored.  Here we find their very essence and by the help of this
single brochure can learn all that is necessary. No more is needed.

Major Chadwick.

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 13, 2013, 01:44:28 PM »

Sri Bhagavan was a very beautiful person.  He shone with a visible light or aura.  He had the most delicate hands
I have ever seen with which alone He could express Himself, one might almost say talk.  His features were regular
and the wonder of His eyes was famous.  His forehead was high and the dome of His head the highest I have ever
seen. As this in India is known as the dome of Wisdom it was only natural that it should be so.  His body was well
formed and of one only medium height.  But this was not apparent, as His personality was so dominant that one
looked upon Him at tall.  He had a great sense of humor and when talking smile was never far from His face. He had
many jokes in His repertoire and was a magnificent actor, He would always dramatize the protagonists of any story
He related.  When the recital was very pathetic He would be so filled with emotion and unable to proceed.  When
people came to Him with their family stories, He would laugh with the happy and at times shed tears with the bereaved.
In this way, He seemed to reciprocate the emotions of others.  He never raised His voice and if He did occasionally seem
angry there was no sign of it on the surface of His Peace.  Talk to Him immediately afterwards and He would answer calmly
and quite undisturbed.  With others some effect of the anger will still remain for a while, even after the cause is gone.
Internally we all take time to regain our composure, but with Him, there was no reaction.  He would never touch money,
not because He hated it, He knew that for never had need of it and was not interested in it.  Money and presents came to
the Asramam; well, that was alright, the management needed them to be able to carry on, but there was no need for them
to worry about it and ask people to give. God will provide.

Arunachala Siva.             

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 13, 2013, 03:58:10 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

How wonderful post on Bhagavan! He was a perfect man,perfect Sage,a true Saint. His behaviour,His look of Grace,His beautiful teaching of Silence,His all embracing love and compassion. Everything about bhagavan is perfect. There are,and will be many realised persons and Saints,but the ones like Bhagavan are really rare.

He is truly unique.

Thank You,dear Sir!

With love and prayers,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 14, 2013, 03:10:13 PM »

Dakshinamurti is known as the silent Guru, the Guru of all Gurus.  Though He is daily worshipped in every Siva temple in
South, He has few temples of His own.  Dakshinamurti is an aspect of the ascetic Siva.

An example of how eloquent silence can be for the sincere seeker, the following episode which I personally witnessed in
the Old Hall some years ago will illustrate.

A gentleman from Kashmir came to the Asramam with his servant who could not speak a word of any other language except
his native Kashmiri.  One night when the Hall was almost dark except for the glimmer of a single hurricane lantern, the servant
came into the Hall and stood before Sri Bhagavan in a respectful manner jabbering something rapidly in his own language.
Sri Bhagavan said nothing, but lay quietly gazing him.  After a while, the servant saluted and left the Hall.  Next morning his
master came to Sri Bhagavan and complained. 'Bhagavan, you never told me you could speak Kashmiri, was it fair?'

'Why, what do you mean?  asked Bhagavan. 'I know not a single word of your language.'

Bhagavan asked the gentleman how he had got hold of this absurd idea and the latter explained:

'Last night my servant came to you and asked you several questions in his language.  He tells me that you answered him
in the same language and cleared his doubts.'

'But I never opened my mouth,' Bhagavan replied!

Major Chadwick.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 14, 2013, 04:58:50 PM »

Sri Bhagavan had a unique method of expounding profound truths, with illustrations taken from everyday life.  His words
were never premeditated but came spontaneously, they were also apt, as the following incident will show:

It was in 1932, I think, when I was in charge of the daily puja at the Mother's Shrine, that a devotee known as P.W.D.
Ramaswami Iyer arranged for a special food offering of sarkarai pongal (a kind of sweet rice pudding) and vadai (a small
round  cake of black gram fried in oil.).  They were to be offered at the time of the ushah puja (puja conducted before day
break in the month of Margazhi (December-January).  I had many things to do, and there was no one to help me. So I got
up very early at about half past three, and after taking bath, in the Pali Tirtham, removed the old flowers from the shrine
swept and cleaned the floor and lit two fires, over one of which I placed the pot of rice for pongal and over the other the pan
of oil for the vadai, then sat down to grind the black gram which I had soaked in water previously.  By the time dough was ready
the oil was sufficiently hot.  I had not actually prepared vadais previously, at anytime. But I took some dough and tried to spread
it over the leaf in the form of a neat round vadai as I had seen others do, but it would not come  out properly.  I tried again and again
but it was of no use.  I then got annoyed and threw the dough in disgust back into the vessel.  The next moment I noticed someone
moving behind me.  When I turned round I saw, to my consternation, Sri Bhagavan standing behind me and watching my efforts
to make vadai.  I was naturally agitated but He said quietly, 'It does not matter. You have added too much water while grinding
the black gram.  Now make round balls of the dough and fry them.  They will then be bondas! (spherical shaped savory).
I did accordingly.

When bondas were served to devotees, at breakfast, as usual, Ramaswami Iyer said to me angrily, 'Look here, Did I not ask
you to prepare vadai?  Then why have you made bondas?'

I was afraid to say anything and so merely looked at Sri Bhagavan, who immediately turned to Ramaswami Iyer and said,
'What does it matter?  If the cakes are flat, and circular, they are vadais.  If spherical, bondas.  The stuff is the same and the
taste is the same.  Only names and forms are different.  Eat the prasadam (food offering) and don't make a fuss.'

Everyone was astonished at the ready and apt reply of Sri Bhagavan. Ramaswami Iyer could not contain his joy.  He exclaimed,
'Wonderful, wonderful!'  Later in the day when he saw me, he said, 'You are a lucky fellow. Sri Bhagavan Himself is supporting you.'

The world consists of names and forms. These are naturally many, but what lies behind them is One and the same.  Names \
and forms are not real, although we think they are. Brahman which underlies them is real, but we forget it.

What wisdom lay in Sri Bhagavan's words!

M.S, Nagarajan, Silent Power.

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 15, 2013, 10:52:53 AM »

There are three ways of giving initiation: placing hands on the person, usually upon his head; giving a mantra which is
whispered into the ear; and through the eyes.  It was usually recognized that Sri Bhagavan did it through eyes alone,
though He never said that He initiated anybody, it was all done without trappings.  He always refused to place His hands
on a person's head though very many besought Him to do so.  However, I do know of one exception.

An old sannyasin came from Mysore State, he was an ex-station master.  Sri Bhagavan seemed from the first,  very
sympathetic towards him and unusually kind.  (Though Bhagavan could be nothing but kind to one and all, He did not
always appear so.  When he was leaving the Asramam, with a friend to act as interpreter, he entered the Hall, which
happened to be empty at the time.  Bhagavan had just returned from a walk after His midday meal, and was seated on
His couch.  The Sannyasin prayed to Bhagavan to place His hands on his head and knelt quite close to the couch, resting
his head against it.  Bhagavan turned towards him and placed both His hands on his head for a few minutes without saying
anything.  Then the Sannyasin rose and left the Hall showing great emotion.

Major Chadwick, Reminiscences. 

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 15, 2013, 11:20:07 AM »

It is common to see people flock to those who exhibits occult powers and perform miracles like curing ailments,
floating on water, sitting buried under the earth etc., but Self Realization and miracle mongering are poles apart.
The Jnani does not care for miracles.  To the Jnani the control of the senses leading to realization of the Self is the
only aim.  This is really the greatest miracle, and to achieve it is the Jnani's goal.

The great Jnani that He was, Bhagavan Sri Ramana always reveled in the natural state of supreme bliss.  He did not
wish to perform miracles, In face, He warned people against it. This does not mean that He had no powers.  He had'
them in abundance. 

He behaved as any ordinary man would.  Regarding the manifestation of powers seen by devotees, it might be due to
His infinite compassion that the miracles happened and He might not have been particularly intent on them. 

One evening, while I was sitting outside Sri Bhagavan's Hall, just in His view, suddenly I noticed an expressive gesture
in His face as He leaned forward from His reclining position.  It looked as though He was calling me to say something.
I was impelled to get up and gong near Him but He did not tell me anything.  I resumed my seat only to find, in a couple
of minutes, another jerk and a similar expressive movement in Him as before.  This time, also I was stirred and when I
went nearer there was no further indication. I took up my seat again but now became restless. I could resist the urge
to leave the place at once, with the expectation of of some urgent matter demanding my presence.  I prostrated to
Sri Bhagavan and I left the Hall without a word.   

A major train accident had happened at my head quarters station about nine miles off.  I had been forewarned by
Bhagavan in a strange manner as recorded above, and due to His grace, i was free from blame of not being on the spot
of emergency.  Obviously, Bhagavan's warning was quite in advance of the actual happening.  The way he did is most
noteworthy. There was no public demonstration or publicity.  An act of grace to a devotee, in His own unique way and
with no means of others knowing that,  a miracle was actually performed.  This is typical of Sri Bhagavan.

N.N. Rajan, Silent Power.

Arunachala Siva.         

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 16, 2013, 05:40:56 PM »
17th May, 1947 (116) PRARABDHA (FATE)
This morning at 9 o’clock one devotee addressed Bhagavan as follows: “Swami, you said yesterday that a Jnani
will perform such actions as are ordained according to his prarabdha. But it is said that Jnanis have no prarabdha at all!”
Bhagavan said, in a leisurely way, “How did they get this body if they have no prarabdha? How do they perform the various actions? The actions of Jnanis are themselves called prarabdhas. It is stated that there is prarabdha from Brahma right up to Sadasiva
and the Avatars of Rama and Krishna and others also

ParitranAya sAdhunAm vinAsAyaduskritAm
Dharma SansthapanArthAya sambhavAmi  yuge yuge

For the protection of the good, for the destruction of evildoers, for the sake of firmly establishing dharma (righteousness), I am born from age to age. Bhagavad Gita, IV: 8
As stated in this sloka, Ishwara assumes a shape when the virtues of good people and the sins of bad people mingle and become prarabdha and he has to establish dharma. That is called parechcha prarabdha (the acts of other people). The body itself is prarabdha. The purpose for which that body has come into existence will get done of its own accord.”

Letters from Sri Ramanasramam-Suri Nagamma

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 17, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »

Still, while knowing Bhagavan's teaching, that all is only an appearance and a creation of the mind, I found His teaching
on dreams hard to understand.  For waking seemed to me continuous, going on from day to day.  I awoke into the same
world each day whereas my dreams were always different, they were distinct.  However, Bhagavan would never accept
this distinction and repeated that the criticism only arose in the waking state, and never in that of dreams.  Then I myself
had a dream!

I was having an argument with somebody on the subject of dreams and in the course of this I said, 'Whatever you say,
Bishop Berkeley was right, things are only in the mind, there is no reality outside of that. Things just don't exist. So
dream and waking experience must be exactly the same.  They are only mental concepts.'  'You say that now,'
the other replied, 'but you would not talk like that in a dream.'  And then I woke up.  The whole thing was intensely
vivid.

Some people have failed to see how this applies to the above.  But the point is that the dream was so real that I never
questioned it to be anything but the waking state.  The two were exactly the same.

That everything is in the mind and that the mind itself is only a passing phenomenon was continually stressed by Bhagavan.
'Who is the one behind the mind?' he would ask repeatedly, 'Find the one and the mind itself will automatically disappear.'
To do this one must repeatedly seek out the source of the 'I' by the inquiry Who am I?.  This process has often been mis-
understood, though actually Bhagavan's teaching is quite clear.

Major Chadwick.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 17, 2013, 11:33:25 AM »

I heard about Sri Bhagavan for the first time in 1939, from a friend who showed me His photograph.  I was very much
struck by His eyes and wished to and see Him.  My desire to go to Tiruvannamalai to Sri Bhagavan's abode could not be
fulfilled till 1942.  A friend, who had just finished building a house in Tiruvannamalai invited me to stay with her. I eagerly
accepted the invitation.  When I arrived I was indisposed for a few days, and could not go to the Asramam. I heard that
Sri Bhagavan was in the habit of going for a walk on the Hill of Arunachala, everyday, at regular hours.  So I went there
and waited on the path.  On the crest of the hilly path a head emerged like the rising sun and then I saw the whole majestic
tall figure.  Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi !  Slowly He came towards me, His attendant a few steps behind. He stopped for
a few moments before me, smiling and looking at me graciously.  My heart was beating fast, and I could not utter a word.
I cannot describe how I felt. I experienced coolness. 

During the next two years, I was visiting the Asramam constantly.  Then in 1944, one day I went into the Hall.  Sri Bhagavan
was reading some papers. I sat down and looked at Him.  Suddenly He put away the papers and turned His luminous eyes
on me.  I could not stand His gaze so I closed my eyes, tears streaming down my face. When I opened my eyes, He was still
looking at me!  My heart was flooded with joy and an inner calmness!  Later I went to see a friend of mine, Sri Munagala
Venkataramiah, and told him in detail about this occurrence in the Hall.  He said that I was very fortunate to have received
initiation from Sri Bhagavan. There was no doubt about it,

Next morning, when I was in the Hall somebody asked Sri Bhagavan what was the use of sitting before Him. Does He give
initiation?  Sri Bhagavan replied that initiation can be given by three ways. By silence, by look and by touch.  When saying,
'by look' He looked at me.  Then I remembered what I was told the day before about my experience and had no doubt that
I had received initiation from Sri Bhagavan, my most revered Master.

After a month's stay I returned  to Bombay, and there was a complete change in my life.  Worldly pleasures ceased to attract
me and I wanted to be alone as much as possible.  I decided to leave Bombay and settle down in Tiruvannamalai but did not
know where to stay.  It was difficult in those days to get accommodation but I knew Sri Bhagavan was guiding me and so
I did not worry much.  He would arrange everything.  And it so happened that two days before my leaving Bombay,  I met
my husband to be. He told me to go and stay in his house in Tiruvannamalai and so I left happily. Soon after with Sri
Bhagavan's blessings, we got married and this house became my permanent home.

By Bhagavan's house I am now permanently settled down here and do not intend to leave. He still helps and guides me as
before and often hear my prayers.  His Presence now is even more powerful than when He was in the physical body. 

My love for Sri Bhagavan sustains me and is of the greatest importance in my life!

Roda McIver.

Arunachala Siva.                     

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 17, 2013, 12:04:01 PM »
3rd July, 1936 Talk 226.

A visitor from Tirukoilur asked if the study of the sacred books will reveal the truth.
M.: That will not suffice.
D.: Why not?
M.: Samadhi alone can reveal it. Thoughts cast a veil over Reality and so it cannot be clear in states other than Samadhi.
D.: Is there thought in Samadhi? Or is there not?
M.: There will only be the feeling ‘I am’ and no other thoughts.
D.: Is not ‘I am’ a thought?
M.: The egoless ‘I am’ is not thought. It is realisation. The meaning or significance of ‘I’ is God. The experience of ‘I am’ is to Be Still.

Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 18, 2013, 11:16:09 AM »

People said that He would not talk but this was untrue, as were many of the other foolish legends about Him. He did not
speak unnecessarily and His apparent silence only showed how much foolish chatter usually goes on among ourselves.
He preferred every sort of simplicity and liked to sit on the floor, but a couch had been forced upon Him and this became
His home for most of the twenty four hours of the day. He would never, if He could help it, allow any preference to be shown
to Him.  and in the dining hall, He was adamant on this point. Even if some medicine or tonic were given to Him He wanted to
share it with everybody.  'If it is good for me then it must be good for the rest.' He would argue and make them distribute it
round the dining hall.   He would wander out on to the Hill a few minutes a day, and if any attachment to anything on earth,
could be said of Him, it was surely the attachment to the Hill.  He loved it and said that it was God Himself.

Major Chadwick.

Arunachala Siva.