Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 197645 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #300 on: December 29, 2012, 06:25:13 PM »
In the afternoon Khanna’s wife appealed to Bhagavan in writing : “I am not learned in the Scriptures and I find the method of Self-enquiry too hard for me. I am a woman with seven children and a lot of household cares, and it leaves me little time for meditation. I request Bhagavan to give me some simpler and easier method.”

Bhagavan: No learning or knowledge of Scriptures is necessary to know the Self, as no man requires a mirror to see himself. All knowledge is required only to be given up eventually as not Self. Nor is household work or cares with children necessarily an obstacle. If you can do nothing more, at least continue saying “I, I” to yourself mentally all the time, as advised in Who am I?, whatever work you may be doing and whether you are sitting, standing or walking.

(Day by Day)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 29, 2012, 06:27:06 PM »
If the enquiry is made whether mind exists, it will be found that mind does not exist. That is control of mind. Otherwise, if the mind is taken to exist and one seeks to control it, it amounts to mind controlling the mind, just like a thief turning out to be a policeman to catch the thief. i.e., himself. Mind persists in that way alone, but eludes itself.

(Talks)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 29, 2012, 06:29:06 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Yes. Controlling the mind is pulling the mind back to the Source to remain quiescent for ever.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 29, 2012, 06:34:37 PM »
Sir, Friends, these points below is of context to the previous posts:

[The rules of conduct for a student are] moderation in food, moderation in sleep and moderation in speech (Spiritual Instructions)

Food affects the mind. The right food makes it more sattvic. For the practice of any yoga, vegetarianism is absolutely necessary. (Conscious Immortality)

Of all the restrictive rules, that relating to the taking of sattvic food in moderate quantities is the best; by observing this rule, the sattvic quality of mind will increase, and that will be helpful to Self-inquiry. (Who am I)

You must do it with a calm mind – mental calmness is essential. (Guru Ramana)

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:37:04 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 29, 2012, 06:37:58 PM »
jivan-mukta

The experience of Self is possible only for the mind that has become subtle and unmoving as a result of prolonged meditation. He who is thus endowed with a mind that has become subtle, and who has the experience of the Self is called a jivan-mukta.

(Self Enquiry)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 29, 2012, 06:45:24 PM »
To know the Self is to be the Self – as there are not two separate selves.
This (state) is thanmaya nishta (abiding as That).

(Who am I)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 29, 2012, 07:01:30 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Sri Bhagavan said the following to help self inquiry:

Physically the digestive organs are kept free from irritation.  Therefore food is regulated both in quantity and quality.
Non irritants are eaten, avoiding excessive chilies, excess of salt, onions, wine, opium etc., Avoid constipation and drowsiness
and excitement and all foods which induce them. Mentally take interest in one thing and fix the mind on it.

(Talks 28.)

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 06, 2013, 10:08:09 AM »

The mind should not be allowed to wander towards worldly objects and what concerns other people. However bad other people may be, one should bear no hatred for them. Both desire and hatred should be eschewed. All that one gives to others one gives to one's self. If this truth is understood who will not give to others? When one's self arises, all arises; when one's self becomes quiescent, all becomes quiescent. To the extent we behave with humility, to that extent there will result good. If the mind is rendered quiescent, one may live anywhere.

(Who am I)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 06, 2013, 10:10:46 AM »
If the ego is, everything else also is. If the ego is not, nothing else is. Indeed, the ego is all. Therefore the enquiry as to what this ego is is the only way of giving up everything.

(Forty Verses on Reality. Trans. Arthur Osborne)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 06, 2013, 10:11:51 AM »
That State is agreeable to all wherein, having given up the objective outlook, one knows one's Self and loses all notions either of unity or duality, of oneself and the ego.

(Forty Verses on Reality. Trans. Arthur Osborne)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 06, 2013, 10:16:08 AM »
The ego is the root-thought from which all other thoughts arise.

(Talks)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 06, 2013, 10:18:19 AM »
[Through Atma Vichara] the mind gets clear of impurities and become pure enough to reflect the truth, the real Self.

This is impossible when the ego is active and assertive.

(Ramana Maharshi, SDB, xii. Trans. TMP Mahadevan)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 06, 2013, 10:21:28 AM »
[The Aham-vritti ] is the one irreducible datum of your experience; …

seeking its Source is the only practicable course you can adopt to realize the Self.

The ego is said to have a casual body, but how can you make it the subject of your investigation?

When the ego adopts that form, you are immersed in the darkness of sleep.

(Gospel)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 06, 2013, 10:26:42 AM »
Remaining quiet is what is called wisdom-insight.
To remain quiet is to resolve the mind in the Self.

When the mind, which is the cause of
                                                      all cognition and all actions, becomes quiescent,
                                                      the world will disappear.

The Self is that where there is
                                absolutely no “I”-thought. That is called “Silence.”

(Who am I)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 06, 2013, 10:28:41 AM »
A newly arrived Andhra youth told Bhagavan about the vagaries of his senses to which Bhagavan said, “All that is due to the mind. Set it right.” “That is all right, Swami,but however much I try to reduce this anger, it comes on again and again. What shall I do?” said the poor boy.

“Oh! Is that so, then get angry with that anger; it will be all right” said Bhagavan. All people in the hall burst out laughing. A person who gets angry with everything in the world, if only he introspects, and enquires why he does not get angry with his anger itself, will he not really overcome all anger?

Two or three years back a devotee who could freely approach Bhagavan came and told him five or six times that somebody had been abusing him. Bhagavan listened but said nothing. As there was no response from Bhagavan in spite of repeated and varied complaints and in a number of ways,this devotee could not contain himself any longer and so said, “When I am abused so much unnecessarily, I also get angry. However much I try to restrain my anger I am not able to do so. What shall I do?”

Bhagavan laughingly said, “What should you do? You too join him and abuse yourself; then it will be all right.” All laughed.

That devotee, unable to understand anything, said “That is very good! Should I abuse myself?”

“Yes indeed! What they are abusing is your body, isn’t it? What greater enemy is there than this body which is the abode of anger and similar feelings? It is necessary that we ourselves should hate it. Instead of that, when we are unguarded, if anybody abuses us, we should know that they are waking us up.

We should realise at least then, and join them in abusing the body, and crying it down. What is the use of counter-abuse? Those who abuse us that way should be looked upon as our friends. It is good for us to be among such people. If you are among people who praise you, you get deceived,” said Bhagavan.

(Letters)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta