Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 186887 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 03:12:01 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Yes. It happened on another occasion too. When a devotee said: Whenever I come here, I feel my egoism is getting
fatter and fatter and my unwanted desires are increasing!

Sri Bhagavan said: Do not worry. Whatever Vasanas are there, they should come out, to clean you up. It will be alright
in due course.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »
First realise the Self

Why worry yourself about the world and what happens to it after Self-realisation? First realise the Self, what does it matter if the world is perceived or not? It is quite immaterial to the Jnani or ajnani, if he perceives the world or not. It is seen by both, but their viewpoints differ. .... Seeing the world, the Jnani sees the Self, which is the Substratum of all that is seen; the ajnani, whether he sees the world or not, is ignorant of his true Being, the Self.

(Maharshi’s Gospel, Book II.)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 11:39:20 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Atma Vidya Kirtanam, Verse 3 says:

Of what avail is knowing things
Other than the Self? And the Self being known,
What other thing is there to know?
That one light that shines as many selves,
Seeing this Self within
As Awareness' lightning flash;
The play of Grace; the ego's death;
The blossoming of bliss.

T.M.P. Mahadevan says: Sri Ramana is a rare Brahmajnani who realized Brahman without even knowing the word Brahman.

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 11:54:49 AM »
prArabdhA

D: If everything happens according to karma (prarabdha: the result of one's acts in the past) how is one to overcome the obstacles to meditation (dhyana)?

M: Prarabdha concerns only the out-turned, not the in-turned mind. One who seeks his real Self will not be afraid of any obstacle.

(Spiritual Instruction)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 04:59:37 PM »
Fate and Free Will

Free will and destiny are ever existent. Destiny is the result of past action; it concerns the body. Let the body act as may suit it. Why are you concerned about it? Why do you pay attention to it? Free will and destiny last as long as the body lasts. But jnana transcends both. The Self is beyond knowledge and ignorance. Whatever happens, happens as the result of one's past actions, of divine will and of other factors.

There are only two ways to conquer destiny or be independent of it. One is to enquire for whom is this destiny and discover that only the ego is bound by destiny and not the Self and that the ego is non-existent.

The other way is to kill the ego by completely surrendering to the Lord, by realizing one's helplessness and saying all the time, 'Not I, but Thou, oh Lord' and giving up all sense of 'I' and ‘mine’, and leaving it to the Lord to do what he likes with you. Complete effacement of the ego is necessary to conquer destiny, whether you achieve this effacement through Self-enquiry or bhakti marga (path).

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 05:29:56 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan has said this in Verse 19 of Ulladu Narpadu:

vidhi madhi moolam vivekam illArke...

The debate, 'Does free will prevail or fate?' is only for those who do not know the root of both. Those who have known
the Self, the common source of free will and of fate, have passed beyond them both and will not return to them.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 06:04:28 PM »
Attachment Decreases with Meditation

Many times I complained to Bhagavan that I was not making any appreciable
progress, bemoaning the persistence of desires. Bhagavan replied making light
of my trouble:

"It will all go, all in time. You need not worry. The more dhyana (meditation)
one performs the more will these desires fall away."

(From M.G. Shanmugam's Personal Diary)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2012, 06:24:10 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Once for some other devotee, Sri Bhagavan said: 'Whatever is there inside the mind, should come out. One day.
it will be exhausted.

Arunachala Siva. 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2012, 12:27:54 PM »
God

As you go on ascribing names and forms to God and showing love to all because you have understood all names and forms to be His, your mind will gradually mature. Just as the taste improves with the ripening of a fruit, so also you will recognize the waxing of good and the waning of evil in you. As your mind matures, there will come a time when you should meet your Master. This is not to say that you go in search of him or he comes in search of you. At the right time the meeting will happen. All are moving in their own ways. Your fitness brings you together, makes you trust him, makes him teach you the right way, also makes you follow the his instructions. That is the straight way to reach God, which is to gain the fourth state. You will follow the way and reach your goal which is Being-Consciousness-Bliss, which is God.

(ellAm onrRE, All is One)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2012, 12:51:22 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Ellam OnRe - has been written by one Vai. Subramanian. The Tamizh edition came even in the early years of Asramam. Once
Annamalai Swami was advised by Sri Bhagavan, to write it out on a note book and read it regularly. Sri Annamalai Swami could
not do so for some reason or other. Finally Sri Bhagavan wrote the small booklet in His own print-like handwriting and gave it
to Sri Annamalai Swami.

Arunachala Siva. 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
I am a sinner
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »
I am a sinner

D.: I am a sinner and do not perform any religious duties. Shall I have a painful rebirth because of that?

B.: Why do you say you are a sinner? Faith in God is enough to save you from rebirth. Cast all your burden on Him. In the Tiruvachakam it is said: ‘Though I am worse than a dog, You have graciously undertaken to protect me. The delusion of death and birth is maintained by You. Is it for me to sit and judge? Am I the Lord here? Almighty God, it is for You to roll me through many bodies, or keep me fixed at Your feet.’ Therefore have faith and that will save you.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2012, 12:09:29 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

This is one of many gems in Tiruvachakam. It is Verse 8 in Kuzhaitha Pathu (Decad on Melting):

The saint poet says: On your own accord, You have taken over this dog, lowlier than a dog. This birth and death
business (Maya) is in your control. Who am I to investigate? What is my right? Either you place me in a body or
at your anklet-wearing feet, O Lord with eye in the forehead!

நாயிற் கடையாம் நாயேனை நயந்துநீயே ஆட்கொண்டாய்
மாயப் பிறவி உன்வசமே வைத்திட்டிருக்கும் அதுவன்றி
ஆயக்கடவேன் நானோதான் என்ன தோஇங் கதிகாரங்
காயத் திடுவாய் உன்னுடைய கழற்கீழ் வைப்பாய் கண்ணுதலே. 503

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Put Full Faith in the Guru
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »
Put Full Faith in the Guru

Once a visitor said: "I have been coming to you, Swami, many times, hoping that
something will happen and I shall be changed. So far I do not see any change in
me. I am as I was: a weakling of a man, an inveterate sinner." And he started
weeping piteously.

"On this road there are no milestones, How can you know which
direction you are going? Why don't you do what the first-class
railway passenger does? He tells the guard his destination, locks
the doors and goes to sleep. The rest is done by the guard,
If you could trust your guru as much as you trust the railway
guard, it would be quite enough to make you reach your
destination. Your business is to shut the door and windows
and sleep. The guard will wake you up at your destination."

(Krishna Bhikshu, Sri Ramana Leelas)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:42:35 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2012, 04:48:59 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Total guru bhakti was evident with Sri Bhagavan's many devotees of inner circle, Whether it is Kunju Swami, or Viswantha
Swami, Muruganar, Suri Nagamma, Smt, T.R. kanakammal, Arthur Osborne, Major Chadwick, Annamalai Swami ,S.S. Cohen- all had
total faith in Sri Bhagvan's teachings and concentrated on self inquiry. Only Kavya  kanta Ganapati Muni had scattered interest
in life and he went in for various things, like freedom movement, teaching mantras to Harijans etc.,

All the above had self realization at the end of their lives. This is evident from Moments Remembered of Sri Ganesan.   

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
tapas
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2012, 08:39:01 AM »
tapas

"If one watches whence this notion I springs, the mind is absorbed into that. That is tapas."

When a mantrA is repeated, if attention is directed to the source whence the mantrA sound is produced, the mind is absorbed in that. That is tapas.

(bhagavan to gaNapati muni)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta