Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 196356 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #1680 on: September 20, 2016, 10:34:10 PM »

There is a stage in the beginning, when you identify yourself with the body, when you are still having the body-consciousness. At that stage, you have the feeling you are different from the reality or God, and then it is, you think of yourself as a devotee of God or as a servant or lover of God. This is the first stage. The second stage is when you think of yourself as a spark of the divine fire or a ray from the divine Sun. Even then there is still that sense of difference and the body-consciousness. The third stage will come when all such difference ceases to exist, and you realise that the Self alone exists.
~ Sri Ramana Maharshi
...from 'Day by Day with Bhagavan', 24-11-46
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: September 24, 2016, 02:33:51 PM »

ANNAMALAI SWAMI ? FINAL TALKS
'DON'T SIT AND MEDITATE'

Annamalai Swami: Bhagavan watched me very closely in the years that I served him in the ashram. One time I went to the Mother's temple where many people were talking about worldly matters.
Bhagavan called me back, saying, 'Why should you go to that crowd? Don't go to crowded places. If you move with the crowd, their vasanas will infect you.'
Bhagavan always encouraged me to live a solitary life and not mix with other people. That was the path he picked for me. Other people got different advice that was equally good for them.
But while he actively discouraged me from socializing, he also discouraged me from sitting quietly and meditating during the years that I was working in the ashram. In this period of my life, if Bhagavan saw me sitting with my eyes closed he would call out to me and give me some work to do.
On one of these occasions he told me,
'Don't sit and meditate. It will be enough if you don't forget that you are the Self. Keep this in your mind all the time while you are working. This sadhana will be enough for you.
The real sadhana is not to forget the Self. It is not sitting quietly with one's eyes closed. You are always the Self. Just
don't forget it.'
Bhagavan's way does not create a war between the mind and the body. He does not make people sit down and fight the mind with closed eyes. Usually, when you sit in meditation, you are struggling to achieve something, fighting to gain control over the mind. Bhagavan did not advise us to engage in this kind of fight. He told us that there is no need to engage in a war against the mind, because mind does not have any real, fundamental existence. This mind, he said, is nothing but a shadow. He advised me to be continuously aware of the Self while I did the ordinary things of everyday life, and in my case, this was enough.

p. 67
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: September 25, 2016, 08:33:24 PM »
Quote from Atmavichar100
Bhagavan's way does not create a war between the mind and the body.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: October 04, 2016, 11:34:08 PM »
Dwelling for long aeons upon this earth, Padam,Bhagavan bestows! individual souls the longing for true jnana, which establishes them in the state of liberation.

Padamalai
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: October 21, 2016, 12:28:25 PM »
The following story is narrated by Kunju swami.

I had heard Sri Bhagavan speak like this before. Once , I had heard him say 'It is no use saying to oneself, "I am doing personal service to Sri Bhagavan; I am dusting his bed; I have served him for so many years". In addition to serving the Guru physically, it is also important to follow the path shown by the Guru. The best service to the Guru is engaging in vichara, dhyana and other practices with a purity of body, speech and mind.'
When Sri Bhagavan spoke like this he would often point out verse eighty-seven of Kaivalyam, Part One, in which the disciple asks the Guru how he can repay him for the grace he has received. The Guru replies that the highest return the disciple can render to the Guru is to remain fixed in the Self without being caught by the three kinds of obstacles that obstruct it. Hearing Sri Bhagavan speak like this made me resolve to find a new attendant so that I could devote myself full-time to meditation.'

padamalai

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: October 21, 2016, 12:34:22 PM »
7.904 On the countenance of my Guru-Lord, the embodiment of unalloyed bliss of silence, there dances brightly the gaze of grace that grants tranquil Siva-jnana. His face, like a magnet, attracts towards itself true devotees and bestows in their hearts the immense kingdom of swarupa.

Sri Muruganar
Verses on the Guru

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: December 16, 2016, 11:22:34 AM »
Lord Krishna says that he is the month of Margazhi
[Chapter 10 Slokam 35] Bhagavad Gita.

Boundless Ocean of Grace Vo.II page 140

Thiruvammanai Sri Muruganar

The Thiruvammanai was composed by Saint Manickavachakar at Thiruvannamalai. Ammanai is a game played by young girls by singing songs in a question and answer form.

Sri Muruganar's Thiruvammanai

First Girl: Ramana who removes the eternal darkness in the hearts of his devotees bestows his grace which is as large as a hill.

The second one answers: You speak of your Ramana bestowing grace on his devotees. Being gracious why does he test them?'

The third girl answers: 'He makes them undergo ills in life in order to purify their hearts.'

The first girl sings: `Ramana who claimed me will bear all the burdens of the devotees.'

The second girl: 'You speak of his nobleness, but why does he put down his devotees?'

The third girl: 'Because if they become famous, they will not reach their goal.' (Fame, which blows up one's ego is one of the greatest obstacles on the spiritual path).

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: December 18, 2016, 06:52:01 PM »
ABSOLUTE SURRENDER 10th April 1947
  Letters from Ramanashramam, by Suri Nagamma

"The feeling that the doer is ?I? is itself bondage. If the feeling is got rid of by vichara, these questions do not arise. Saranagathi is not the mere act of sitting with closed eyes. If all sit like that, how are they to get on in this world?? While Bhagavan was speaking the bell of the dining hall rang. ?There goes the bell; should we not go?? So saying with a smile, Bhagavan got up.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: January 10, 2017, 03:21:20 PM »
GVK

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: February 14, 2017, 03:05:23 PM »
Q: The present experiences are the result of past karma. If we know the mistakes committed before, we can rectify them.

A: If one mistake is rectified there yet remains the whole sanchita karma from former births which is going to give you innumerable births. So that is not the procedure. The more you prune a plant, the more vigorously it grows. The more you rectify your karma, the more it accumulates. Find the root of karma and cut it off.

Be as you are David Godman

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: February 14, 2017, 03:08:22 PM »
Ramana Maharshi  Be As You Are  by David Godman

Q: However often Bhagavan teaches us, we are not able to understand.

A: People say that they are not able to know the Self that is all pervading. What can I do? Even the smallest child says, I exist; I do; this is mine.? So, everyone understands that the thing I is always existent. It is only when that I is there that there is the feeling that you are the body, he is Venkanna, this is Ramanna and so on. To know that the one that is always visible is one' s own Self, is it necessary to search with a candle? To say that we do not know the atma swarupa [the real nature of the Self] which is not different but which is in one's own Self is like saying, I do not know myself.?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 03:11:10 PM by Balaji »

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: March 08, 2017, 11:17:51 AM »
Heart of my being, seen outwardly as one
In human form, to draw my human love,
Lord Ramana, Guru, the risen Sun,
Self Manifest, the Guide of all who rove
Lost and alone
In tangled thought and vain misgivings.

face to face with Maharishi, Arthur osborne

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: March 08, 2017, 11:19:06 AM »

Sri Ramana never wore shoes, not even during the hottest months. Rangan, a former classmate, reports, ?When Bhagavan and I climbed up to the top of Arunachala, a thorn pricked my foot.
Noting that I was lagging behind, Bhagavan removed it. A few yards later a big thorn pricked his foot. When I looked at his foot there were so many unremoved thorns in it. Then I examined the other foot, but the position was not different. ?Which one will you remove, the new thorn or the old ones??, he queried. He broke the thorn by pushing his foot to the ground and started walking again.?

Ramana Maharshi: His Life - A Ramana-biography by Gabriele Ebert

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: March 10, 2017, 05:35:19 PM »
Those born out of wedlock, those who have renounced  their religion, those illegitimately born of widows, those of low  caste, murderers, those who have lost limbs, fierce savages and those who dwell at a great distance, if they but once with righteous intention fix their thoughts upon Mount Arunai, abode of compassion, the result will be liberation.  Not only these but also wild beasts, plants, trees, lotus flowers and related species, all will gain liberation either by looking upon it, or germinating and growing there.

Arunachala Puranam

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: March 10, 2017, 05:37:54 PM »
Water flowing through a channel carries off great heaps of sand ;
So mountain masses of the ego are washed away by  Grace.

T.K. Sundaresa Iyer, walk with Bhagavan to the Samudiram Lake
BOGAR part II