Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 186301 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #1590 on: June 20, 2016, 07:01:01 AM »

Lucy Cornelssen, a German devotee came to Bhagavan Ramana sometime in 1940s.  She became
the permanent resident of the Asramam, right up to her leaving the body a few decades later. 
Her illustrious daughter is with the Asramam now.  When I met the daughter in my June 2009
pilgrimage to the Asramam, I and my wife met her near the dining hall one evening after Parayanam.
We could not get her name properly.

Lucy Cornelssen or affectionately called as Lucy Ma merged with Bhagavan Ramana after a few
decades of her stay in the Presence. She is the authoress of a slim book titled "Hunting the 'I' which
was first published in 1979, duly assisted by Prof. K. Swaminathan and Viswanatha Swami.
Her Liberation Day falls on 31st December 2009.

We have to use our control of that biologically acting mechanism - the brain.  We do it more
or less automatically during the waking state.  .... Somebody might tell you something.  You
not only hear it but you are listening attentively to grasp that meaning.  If you are not interested,
you register the news to your memory...or not... and go on with your task.  You have perceived
the event, but it has not made an impression on you, has not altered your quiet state of
consciousness.  You cut it short after the second stage.

This attitude of aloofnessness, of detachment has to be kept and practiced as often as possible
throughout the day.

Because the moment you are perceiving something and re-acting on it, being interested or
emotionally involved, positively or negatively, you have covered up the silent, neutral, pure,
witnessing "I" by the reactive aggressive, personal 'I'.

Accordingly the sadhana of hunting the "I" includes the practice of attention to our own perceiving,
with the purpose of cutting it short, just before the stage of reacting sets in.  In practicing this
kind of detachment the seeker will soon get to a state of Pure Awareness, which is no longer
'perceiving'.

To 'perceiving' in the customary meaning of the term belongs 'grasping' i.e reacting. It has an
object and is an act within time and space.  Pure Awareness has no object and is beyond
time and space.  It is the highest wakefulness without all the other characteristics of the waking state.

This one means to carry over the absolute Silence of deep sleep into the absolute, the Pure
Awareness of the waking state.  Sri Ramana Maharshi named it the sleepless sleep, the
wakeful sleep or sleep-waking.   

(From Hunting the I - Lucy Cornelssen, Sri Ramanasramam.)

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: June 23, 2016, 07:33:34 AM »

Effort and effortlessness:

Again Bhagavan Ramana answers this point in Upadesa Manjari,
as told to Natananda.  In Chapter II - on Abhyasa, He says like this:

Natananda:  Is the state of 'being still' a state involving effort or
effortless?

Bhagavan:  It is not an effortless state of indolence.  All mundane
activities which are ordinarily called effort, are performed with the
aid of a portion of the mind and with frequent breaks.  But the act
of communion withthe Self (Atma Vyavahara) or remaining still
inwardly is an intense activity which is performed with the entire
mind and without break.

Maya (delusion or ignorance) which cannot be destroyed by any other act,is completely destroyed by this intense activity which is called Silence (Mauna).

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: June 23, 2016, 07:36:12 AM »

Narayana Seva or Maheswara Puja (as Saivites call it) mean only giving food, clothing and shelter
to the needy and if possible, the medicines for the sick.  These come under dharmas.  Kamakshi
in Kanchipuram is said to have done 32 types of dharmas to get the appreciation of Siva for
obtaining half-his-body and remain as concorpoate in Arunachala. 

But I think "social reforms" are different.  Like removing casteism,
untouchabilty, widow-remarriage in India, etc., etc.,  Bhagavan
Ramana and Kanchi Chandrasekara to my knowledge, never
went for any social reforms as such.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: June 23, 2016, 07:38:22 AM »

Bhagavan Ramana showed "miserliness" in a noble and instructive
way.  He used to take out the tooth-powder that is kept in paper
pack and and used for the day.  Whenever, He found the tooth-
powder to be in excess, He used to keep refolded into the packet
and use it for the day.

He used to take less than a spoon of oil before bath, rubbed it
on His head and also throughout His body and then go for bath.
Kunju Swami wondered:  How can that little oil spread out to the
head and whole body?

Once Bhagavan Ramana was seen in the kitchen store, picking up,
every seed of mustard that had carelessly been thrown on the floor,
cleaned it with His towel and then placed them in the tin kept
for that purpose!  He did the same thing with rice grains when
supplies were downloaded from a lorry in gunny bags, (I think during
one of the Jayanti celebrations),  and a few rice grains had fallen
from the holes in the gunny bags. 

He told Viswantatha Swami, who was wondering at this strenous
act of picking rice grains:  "Do not think I am miserly.  These are
all Arunachala's property.  I am supposed to protect every bit of them!"

I bow to that Ati-varnsrami.

Arunachala Siva.

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: June 23, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
Dear Subramanian,

"But I think "social reforms" are different.  Like removing casteism, untouchabilty, widow-remarriage in India, etc., etc.,  Bhagavan
Ramana and Kanchi Chandrasekara to my knowledge, never went for any social reforms as such."

Yes. Any reform is based on the (false) premise of the reformer and the reformed existing as separate entities. So these reforms and practices are based on duality. Not only Bhagavan but no genuine non-dual teacher will give importance to them. But the Kanchi seer did not meet widows directly face to face. You may remember how Indira Gandhi had to meet him even when she was the PM.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: June 25, 2016, 07:57:49 PM »
Indeed,Bhagavan never bothered to change anything by force,or be the social reformer the way reformism  is known to us.

But these things,like casteism, untouchabilty,etc,He never acknowledged either. Through His way of conduct,we can see He never admitted such differences,and that was exactly the best way to learn,following His example.

Like His Great teaching through silence,so was His reformism. Through Silence and Love.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 08:00:41 PM by Jewell »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: June 26, 2016, 07:37:14 AM »

Bhagavan Ramana did not much recommend Raja Yoga marga, because this method is
considered tough and any mistake will result in negative consequences. The Kundalini
Power is a double edged sword and one has to be exteremely cautious about it.  But Sri
Sankara did recommend.  In case of Kavyakanta Ganapati Sastri, he had this unbearable
burning sensation in the crown when he was practising in Tiruvottiyur and Bhagavan Ramana
had to go in his subtle body skyward and place His hand on Sastri's skull, to quell the heat
and burning sensation. 

With an experienced teacher, the Raja Yoga is quite good. 

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: June 26, 2016, 07:40:31 AM »

Letting go of all thoughts about the objective world - is the thoughtless state, that is essential for
self inquiry.  Thought about God within, Bhagavan Ramana says, Atma Nishtaparan, in
Who am I? is the greatest devotion.  Hence this thought should be retained till it matures into
surrender.  Once the total surrender becomes your nature, there is no need even for thought of
God, since there is only God within you and not any more of you.

The question, for whom this thought arises? is necessary and must be continued, till worldly
thoughts keep bothering you.  At one stage, for whom this thought arises? - will not arise at all.
That is abidance in Self.  If this abidance in Self becomes permanent, then it is Sahaja Stithi.
Thereafter every worldly activity of yours will be done by That, as Ribhu Gita, Ch.26 Verse 25 states.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: June 30, 2016, 07:42:07 AM »

Extract from Harindranatha Chattopadhyaya's poem in the Volume
6 of Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean of Grace.)

You are a huge horizon bent
Over a world of discontent
To bless us till our hearts are lent
A tine or two from out of your store.
You are so close what though remote
Even in storm you strike a note
Of safety while our floundering boat
Gives up all hope of reaching the shore.

Give us the high illumined grace
To make the heart your dwelling place,
To see you clearly, face to face,
In all we feel and say and do;
and may we evermore contain
Your Presence in each passing pain,
Even as drought desires the rain,
You mercy that is coming through.

Increase our silence and our power,
Be with us every fleeting hour.
O set our barest things in flower
and with your love's divine increase
Within us, let the heart concern
Itself with you who reign and burn
Through every pore at every turn
Molding the final masterpiece.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: July 01, 2016, 12:52:26 PM »

Sri Ramanananda Swarnagiri says in his Crumbs from His Table:-

Devotee:  When I am engaged in inquiry as to the Source from which the "I" springs, I strive at
a stage of stillness of mind, beyond which I find myself unable to proceed further.  I have no
thought of any kind, and there is an emptiness, a blankness.  A mild light pervades and I find
that it is myself, body-less.  I have neither cognition nor vision of body and form.  The experience lasts nearly half an hour and is pleasing.  Would I be correct in concluding that all that was necessary to secure
eternal happiness (i.e freedom or salvation or whatever one calls it) was to continue the practice
till this experience could be maintained for hours, days and months together?

Bhagavan:  This does not mean salvation.  Such a condition is termed "manolaya" or temporary
stillness of thought.  Manolaya means concentration, temporarily arresting the movement of thoughts,
old and new, rush in as usual and even though this temporary lulling of mind should not a thousand
years, it will never lead to total destruction of thought, which is what is called salvation or liberation,
from birth and death.  The practicer must therefore be ever on the alert and inquire within as to who
has this experience, and who realizes its pleasantness.  Failing this inquiry, he will go into a long trance
of deep sleep (Yoga Nidra).  Due to the absence of a proper guide at this stage of spiritual practice,
many have been deluded and fallen a prey to false sense of salvation and only a few have, either by the merit of good acts in their previous births, or by extreme grace, have been enabled to reach the goal of safety.

Source:  Crumbs from His Table, Sri Ramananda Swarnagiri, Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.) 

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: July 01, 2016, 12:58:51 PM »

Devotee:  How can I control the mind?

Master:  There is no mind to control when the Self is realized. The Self shines forth when the mind
vanishes.  In the realized man, the mind may be active or inactive, the Self alone exists. For the mind,
body and the world are not separate from the Self. And they cannot remain apart from the Self.
Can they be other the Self?  When aware of the Self, why should one worry about these shadows? 
How do they affect the Self?

Devotee:  If the mind is merely a shadow how then is one to know the Self?

Master:  The Self if the Heart, self-luminous.  Illumination arises from the Heart and reaches
the brain, which is the seat of the mind.  The world is seen with the mind.  So you see, the world
is perceived, by the reflected light of the Self.  The world is perceived by an act of the mind.  When
the mind is illumined, it becomes aware of the world. When it is not so illumined, it is not aware of
the world. If the mind is turned in, towards the Source of illumination, objective knowledge ceases,
and the Self alone shines as the Heart.

Devotee:  After leaving the Asramam, I was aware of the Presence that prevails in Sri Bhagavan's
presence enfolding me for about 10 days..... Then it faded out entirely, and the old stupidities
came in instead.  Work leaves no time for separate meditation.  Is it enough constantly reminding
oneself "I AM" while at work?

Master:  (After a short pause).  If you strengthen the mind, that peace will continue for all time.
Its duration is proportional to the strength of the mind acquired by repeated practice.  And such a
mind is able to hold on to the current. 

Devotee:  Other thoughts arise forcibly when one attempts meditation!

Master:  Yes. All kinds of thought arise in meditation.  That is only right for what lies hidden in you
is brought out.  Unless, it rises up, how can it be destroyed?  Thoughts rise up spontaneously,
as it were, but only to be extinguished in due course, thus strengthening the mind.

Devotee:  How can the rebellious mind be made calm and tranquil?

Master:  Either see its Source, so that it may disappear, or surrender yourself so that it may be
struck down.  Self Surrender is the same as Self Knowledge, and either of them necessarily
implies self-control.  The ego submits only when it recognizes the Higher Power.

(Source: Maharshi's Gospel, Chapter III.  Book I. 1939.)

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: July 02, 2016, 07:24:05 AM »

Every year, wherever he was, Sri Pillai used to come to Tiruvannamalai for Kartigai Deepam.
Once he started from Chidambaram for his annual trip, and there was disruption due to heavy
rains and the bus and train services were disrupted due to floods.  In his zeal to reach Tiruvannamalai,
he set out on foot. On the way, he found the bridge he had to cross had been washed away.  So
he returned without being able to cross the river.  He felt miserable that he wouldn't be at
Tiruvannamalai for Maha Deepam. He wept.  At that time, he saw from where he stood, the
Arunachala Hill and the light on the top! 

Sri Pillai understood that taking pity on a devotee, Arunachala Ramana had given him darshan of
Arunachala and the Light on the top. 

After a few years, Sri Pillai permanently settled down in the Asramam.  With the help of devotees,
Sri Pillai cleared the path to Skandashram.  He would go to the town on his cycle several times
during the course of the day, to serve devotees.   People so affectionately called him, Cycle Swami.

In the Ashram, he planted a variety of plants and fruit trees, the gardens in the Ashram, speak
of his valiant efforts.

Till his merger with Bhagavan in 1994, he used to get up early in the mornings and chant verses
before the shrine of Bhagavan Ramana.  He also explained to sincere devotees, the path of Jnana
shown by Bhagavan Ramana.

The U-tube has got a small interview of Sri Pillai along with others like Kunju Swami.

"O Annamalai, have you not ruled over me and taken away my
soul and body?  Where is deficiency in me? You are the deficiency
and you are the fulfillment.  I shall not think over these.  Do whatever you will. 
O eye of my eye! I shall only want a limitless love to your anklet-wearing feet!"

- Sri Arunachala Navamani Maalai - Verse 7.

(Source: Kunju Swami's Reminiscences.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: July 03, 2016, 07:50:09 AM »

While we are simply sitting without any work, we get bored. But we are not bored when you
simply sleep, where there is also no work!  We like sometimes, even sleeping for 10 hours
or even more.  Why are we not bored about sleep?  Doing nothing, no entertainment, nothing
to talk, nothing to think, but still we like sleep.  So even this boredom is a mysterious phenomenon.

However, this shows our innate divinity.  Somewhere in the deep level of our personality lies
the knowledge, that we are beyond time and space and WE LOVE TO BE BEYOND TIME AND SPACE.
Only when we are limited by time, we get frustrated and we want somehow to consume the time.
That is why we get bored.  We do not know the technique of eating time-space
stuff and be finished with it.  We do it regularly in sleep. And we are not conscious of time and
space in sleep.

So,if we could swallow time and space, the name and form, the very universe, it will be the most
reliishing food. Never we shall be hungry again.  All other foods will only satisfy us temporarily.
But people who were in Sahaja Samadhi like Bhagavan Ramana, were ever satisfied.  Time and
Space were not for them.

The Vedas say that the Brahma Jnani has consumed the time and space like a pickle with his food!

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: July 04, 2016, 01:56:10 PM »

Sri Ramana Pada Maalai is a work of Pillai that runs to about 45 verses.  This was published along
with Ramana Sadguru Maalai and Vinnappam (Request), by the initiative of Devaraja Mudaliar.

A few excerpts:  as translated by David Godman and included in
the Power of the Presence, Volume 1:-

1. Blessed be the feet of the Master, who appeared as the embodiment of grace.  Blessed be
the knower of the Vedas, whose feet remove ignorance and confer knowledge.

2. Blessed be the feet of God who steals the minds of those who see Him.  Blessed be the feet
of the Pure One, who has neither likes nor dislikes.

3. Blessed be the feet of the Lord, who granted a vision in the form of light.  Blessed be the feet
of him, the devotee, who has received the grace of the ancient Lord.

12. Blessed be the feet of the One who says that the divine will bear any burden.  Blessed be the
feet of the sublime one who says, 'Stick to the path that is given by the Guru'.

14. Blessed be the feet of the One who says: "That which rises as "I" is the mind.  Blessed be the
feet of the one who proclaims, "The vision of Jnana is the destruction of that mind."

17.  Blessed be the feet of the One who says, "The connection with the body will be destroyed by
the "Who am I?" inquiry.

28.  Blessed be the feet of the One whose teaching is, "Of all the niyamas (code for self-discipline),
the best is moderate eating.

One world spoken leads to many."

29.  Blessed be the feet of the One who teaches, "Control of the mind is the gist of all books.
Why is a book needed to see yourself?"

31.  Blessed be the feet of the liberated one who enjoins, 'Get rid of the distinction between man
and woman.  Marriage is a way of achieving it.'

32. Blessed be the feet of the noble one who explains, "Giving to others is giving oneself. 
If one knows this, who will refuse to give?"

33. Blessed be the feet of the exemplar of humility who says, "The more one humbles oneself, the
more one benefits.  Get rid of hatred towards the wicked.

43. Blessed be the feet of the Guru, who takes even faults as merits.  Blessed be the feet of the
Jnani who has adopted me, a dog-like one who has not done good tapas.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: July 05, 2016, 07:32:12 AM »

To an individual, who was persistently asking Bhagavan Ramana, "Why is God so unjust, so
imperfect?"  He replied:  "Why ask me? Go and ask Him?"  On being told that he could not go to God,
Bhagavan retorted:  "Then, when you cannot reach Him, how can you question Him?
Salvation is not for the weak!"

Another man, went on asking Bhagavan where his deceased had been reborn, He replied not to
bother about such things, as they were only manifestations of his ego.  The man persisted saying:
"It was a quest for knowledge, pure and simple.  No ego involved." Bhagavan Ramana then said:
"Was she born first only as your sister?"  On being told that she must have had thousands
of births before, He asked him, "if he ever had cared to find out what she had been born as,
before she was born as his sister."

On his replying that he did not, the Maharshi told:  "Do you not see that it is only your
egoism that has prompted your questions, and not any desire for knowledge, pure and simple."

(Source:  An article by Sri. K. Panchpakesa Iyer, in Arunachala's
Ramana, Boundless Ocean of Grace, Volume 6, Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.