Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 197229 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #1515 on: April 16, 2016, 07:44:53 AM »

People like Buddha, Sankara and Bhagavan Ramana -- are all self realized.  Their minds have
already been killed. When they come out to say something to others, they come down from their
levels to tell people AT THEIR AND FROM THEIR OWN LEVELS.  Then how does it happen?  If they
cannot have a mind, how can they something or other? Here Saiva Siddhantam comes to our help.
It says that Brahma Jnanis, if they continue their lives in the world to teach others, a mind called
Pure Mind, Suddha Manas, comes to operate.  It is with that Suddha Manas, they do all the teachings.
Suddha Manas does not cultivate prarabdha. It is like a roasted seed. It cannot flourish again. 
Buddha lived for 33 years,more he attained Jnana at the age of 50, like that to teach others.
Saint Tiru Jnana Sambandhar lived for 13 more years, he lived up to 16 when he had Jnana at
the age of 3!  Bhagavan Ramana lived for 54 years more, after realizing the Brahman at the age of 16.
During all their lives, the post-realization state was operating through either silence or Suddha Manas.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: April 16, 2016, 07:46:34 AM »

Pure Consciousness = Brahman = Atma

self-consciousness = only awareness of the body mind
                                      complex, even though the Pure
                                       Consciousness is ever present.
                                       It is like a smoke around the fire.

In the state of fainting, coma and sleep, the self consciousness is temporarily absent, but prana
going and coming reveals that the body is not dead.

In the state of Samadhi, Pure Consciousness alone is present.

Arunachala Siva.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: April 17, 2016, 06:44:29 AM »
Dear sir.                                                                                             What is nirvikalpa samadhi n sahaka samadhi. in samadhi state they do nt breathe.                                                                 Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: April 18, 2016, 07:24:22 AM »

We are all Awareness.  It is the vasanas, which are like clouds, that obstructs its revealing.
The vasanas are carried from the previous births and it appear right from the moment
the child is born.  It looks for mother's breast for milk!  People without vasanas are always Awareness. 
There is one Nammazhwar in Sri Vaishnavism.  He was born under a tamarind tree.  He is ayonija,
born not through a mother's womb.  He therefore cared for nothing.  He just consumed air and lived!
He is called Sadagopa, for the same reason.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: April 18, 2016, 07:30:10 AM »

In 1945, Bhagavan Ramana was again requested to explain whether breath-control or watching
the breath was essential for controlling the mind.   I  quote from Day by Day with Bhagavan:
(entry dated 1.12.1945].

"In continuation of an old question of his with reference to a certain passage in Maha Yoga, he [one Mr. Prasad], asked Bhagavan, whether it was necessary and a condition precedent for a man to
watch his breathing before beginning the mental quest: "Who am I?"

Bhagavan:  "All depends on a man's pakva i.e his aptitude and fitness. Those who do not have the
mental strength,*  to concentrate or control their mind and direct it on the quest are advised to
watch their breathing, since such watching will naturally and as a matter of course, lead to cessation
of thought and bring the mind under control.  Breath and mind arise from the same place and
when one of them is controlled, the other is also controlled.  As a matter of act, in the quest method,
--- which is more correctly "Whence am I?" and not merely "Who am I?" -- we are not simply trying to eliminate saying that "we are not the body, not the senses, and so on," to reach what remains as the
Ultimate Reality, but we are trying to find whence the "I" thought or the ego arises within us.
The method contains within it, though implicitly and not expressly the watching of the breath.
When we watch where from the "I" thought , the root of all thoughts, springs, we are necessarily
watching the source of breath also, at the "I" thought and breath arise from the same source."

[* Another translation of "mental strength" is "preparedness gained through repeated practice." 
The word 'pakva' comes from the root 'pach' which means 'to ripen', 'to be cooked'
 Bhagavan Ramana used the derivative "pakvi" which, by implication, means those who have
become mature through the "cooking process of sadhana", spiritual practice.]

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: April 18, 2016, 07:36:40 AM »

Years later, Bhagavan Ramana was again requested to expand on this means for controlling the mind.
But prior to us discussing  his, the need arises to address those modern practitioners, some
of whom call themselves New Advaitins, who declare that the mind and the so called ego are both
illusions.

"The need to control the mind simply does not exist, and therefore absolutely no effort need be made
to attain the Divine state referred to as "one thing needful".  They refer to Bhagavan Ramana saying
that the "one thing needful" is Absolute Knowledge of the Self, and that is always present."  Further,
they emphatically propound that Bhagavan Ramana's essential teaching proclaims:  "We are That", and
the Guru's work is solely to reveal this Truth."

Undoubtedly, Bhagavan's teaching emphasized that the Self [God] is within us.  His essential teaching, however, as a Jagat Guru, was the revelation of Atma Vichara, as the path of inquiry, which effectively
removes our central ignorance, namely our identification with the ego, or false 'I'.  This leads one to the
direct experience, Aparoksha Anubhava of Self Realization.  Bhagavan definitely clarified
this Truth and then the Guru's role, when He declared:

"If ignorance is wiped out, the confusion will end and true knowledge unfolded. By remaining in
contact with the realized sages one "gradually" loses the ignorance, till it disappears totally.
The eternal Self is thus revealed..... Without understanding this aright, people think that the
Guru teaches something like "Tat Tvam Asi" and immediately the disciple realizes "I am Brahman".
In their utter ignorance, they conceive Brahman to be something much bigger and far more powerful
than anything else.  With a limited 'I' man is so stuck up and wild. What will he be if the same "I" is
increased enormously?  He will certainly be proportionally more ignorant and more foolish!  This false
"I" must perish.  Its annihilation is the fruit of service to the Guru, Realization is eternal and is not
granted by the Guru.  The Guru helps only the removal of ignorance --- that is all."

- S.S. Cohen, Reflections on Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi.

- Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi. $ 350.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: April 22, 2016, 09:32:18 AM »

We are all Awareness.  It is the vasanas, which are like clouds, that obstructs its revealing.
The vasanas are carried from the previous births and it appear right from the moment
the child is born.  It looks for mother's breast for milk!  People without vasanas are always Awareness.
There is one Nammazhwar in Sri Vaishnavism.  He was born under a tamarind tree.  He is ayonija,
born not through a mother's womb.  He  therefore cared for nothing.  He just consumed air and lived!
He is called Sadagopa, for the same reason.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: April 22, 2016, 09:37:10 AM »

The entry of Devarja Mudaliar, dated 1.12.1945, continues with
the same questioner but on another aspect.

Mr. Prasad again asked whether, for controlling breath, the regular 'pranayama'  is not better in which
1:4:2 proportion for breathing in, retention and breathing out is prescribed.  Bhagavan replied: "All
those proportions, sometimes regulated not by counting but by uttering " mantras", etc., are aids for controlling the mind.  That is all. Watching the breath is also one way of 'pranayama'.  Retaining breath
etc., is more violent and may be harmful in some cases, e.g., where there is no proper Guru to
guide the 'sadhak' at every step and stage. But merely watching the breath is easy and involves no risk."

This method is indeed easy, and can be joined to any form of sadhana, that one is engaged in. 
The breath is not controlled but merely watched with acute attention.  Its movement should at
all time remain natural and controllable.  It is helpful at first to center one's attention without stress
on any area, where the movement of the breath is physically palpable or noticeable.  The attention
of the mind with alert awareness on the movement of the breath satisfies the mind's life-sustaining
urge to circulate through movement. 

Thus we watch and pray with calm but steady concentration.  The place of our origin, that forgotten
Abode of the Self, is Self-revealing. Becoming truly still, and calling on God with patient perseverance,
we will enter and experience:

"The Way, the Truth and the Light."

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: April 24, 2016, 07:50:25 AM »

Thoughts are product of sin.  Here, the sin means ego, which is the first principle, that divides
man and godhead. This thought can be good or bad.  Bad thoughts, we all agree create bad actions.
Even these bad actions are called bad according to circumstances.  A soldier can kill any number of
soldiers of enemy camp, and get appreciation.  But if he kills a civilian on the road, he is punished. 
A king can marry any number of girls and bring them to his harem.  A citizen cannot marry
many girls.  So all good thoughts also produce evil.  Take atom bomb.  It came out of a detailed
experiment in science, whose basic laws of relativity and thermo-dyanamics are quite good for peaceful purposes.  But the same principles created an atom bomb and killed lakhs of people. 

Now to bad thoughts, bad thoughts apparently produce bad actions which are sin.  But there
could be some bad thoughts [very rare indeed], which can produce good results.  Like the rishi who
decided to bluff to the hunter who had come chasing a deer, saying that there was no
deer on that side.  The deer was saved.  All said, it is a lie.

That is why, Bhagavan Ramana said:  Summa Iru, Be Still,
Be thoughtless.  But it is quite difficult for most of us.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: April 25, 2016, 07:39:19 AM »

On 2nd Jan 1946, a visitor asked whether Jnanis retire generally from active life and do not engage
in any worldly activities.

Bhagavan replied:

They may or may not.  Some, even after realizing, carry on trade and business, or rule over a
kingdom, [like Janaka]. Some retire into forest and abstain from all acts except those
absolutely necessary to keep life in the body. So, we cannot say all Jnanis give up activity and
retire from life.

Visitor further asked: I want to know if Bhagavan can give concrete examples , like the butcher
Dharmavyadha mentioned in our books, of Jnanis now living and doing their ordinary daily work
in life.

Bhagavan did not answer. {Readers can guess the purpose of this question from the visitor}

Visitor:  Is renunciation necessary for Self Realization.

Bhagavan:  Renunciation and realization are the same. They are different aspects of the same state.
Giving up the non-self is renunication.  Inhering in the Self is Jnana or Self Realization.  One is the
negative and the other the positive aspect of the same single truth.  Bhakti, Jnana, Yoga -- are
names for Self Realization or mukti which is our real nature.

(Source: Day by Day, Devaraja Mudaliar)

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: April 26, 2016, 07:40:29 AM »

In sleep, god as a matter of grace, allows the prana, breath to continue, whereas the mind is
temporarily under suspended animation.  [ The prana goes in and comes out, so that others
would not think that you are dead, this is god's grace].
-- Who am I?

In dream, mind shows some mischief.

In wakeful state, it is the mind which calls all the shots.

In all three states, Soul or the Self or Brahman is everpresent.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: April 27, 2016, 07:39:11 AM »

the child is born.  It looks for mother's breast for milk!  People without vasanas are always
Awareness.  There is one Nammazhwar in Sri Vaishnavism.  He was born under a tamarind
tree.  He is ayonija, born not through a mother's womb.  He therefore cared for nothing.
He just consumed air and lived! He is called Sadagopa, for the same reason.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: April 28, 2016, 07:43:41 AM »

There were some posts on ego/dislikes etc., Muruganar says in Sri Guru Ramana Prasadam:

Verse 198:-

My natural duty, as I perceive, is to dwell without thought upon
those feet that abide in Holy Silence, flooding my consciousness
with bliss.  This is the state of liberation, the holy silence in which
the ego that thrives on the mind's confusion is rendered powerless
and disappears completely.

Verse 204:-

He caused a flower of light to unfold in the state of pure consciousness, so that the
disastrous error of a body-mind ego faded.  That radiance grew ever brighter with my love
until I realized the flawless knowledge of the Self manifesting as the unbroken awareness I, I,
within my heart.

Verse 213:-

Drawn by his magnetic charm I have sought shelter at the lotus
feet of Sri Ramana whose teaching is eternal, so that the murky
twilight of the illusory world, created by the trickery of the senses,
has faded in the clear light of dawn like turmeric left out in the sun.*

(*  Turmeric loses its colour when exposed to sunlight, and becomes
white.)

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: April 28, 2016, 09:17:30 PM »
From: ~~~ Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, Talk 161.- Mind your business

An elderly man from Ananthapur,
after hearing the Vedas recited in the hall,
stood up and asked:

?It is said that the non-Brahmins
should not hear the recital of the Vedas.?

Sri Ramana Maharshi:

"Mind your business.
Take care of what you came here for.
Why do you waste your time in these matters?

?I heard the recital,? you say.
?Who is that ?I??
Without knowing the ?I? you are using the word.
If its significance be known there will be no doubt.
Find the ?I? first and you may afterwards speak of other matters.?

Continuing, Sri Bhagavan said:

?The smritis say something.
They are not appropriate now.
I will reform the world, rewrite the smritis.?

Saying so,
people are cutting capers in the world from time immemorial.
Such reformers have come and gone;
but the ancient smritis still stand.
Why waste time over such matters?

Let each one mind his business.
All will be well.
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: April 29, 2016, 06:46:35 AM »
One day it was suggested to Sri Maharshi that no spiritual progress could ever be made without  sadhana, or discipline. After a pause he made these observations:

Mind it is that binds man, and the same mind it is that liberates him. Mind is constituted of  sankalpa  and  vikalpa - desire and disposition. Desire shapes and governs disposition. Desire is of two kinds - the noble and the base.  The base desires are lust and greed. Noble desire is directed towards enlightenment and emancipation. Base desire contaminates and clouds the understanding.  Sadhana is easy for the aspirant who is endowed with noble desires. Calmness is the criterion of spiritual progress. Plunge the purified mind into the Heart.  Then the work is over.  This is the essence of all spiritual discipline!

Swami Chidbhavananda. Smriti
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 06:50:29 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta