Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 197334 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #150 on: November 20, 2012, 10:19:03 AM »
When I, scrutinized within the mind who is the seer (who saw thus) ?, the seer became non-existent and I saw that which remained (namely the real Self). The mind (the ego or I thought) does not (now) rise to say, "I saw (the Self)" ; (therefore) how can the mind rise to say, ‘I did not see (the Self)’ ? Who has the power to reveal this (the stateof Self-experience) by speaking, when in ancient times (even) You (as Dakshinamurthi) revealed it only without speaking (that is, only through silence) ? Only to reveal Your state (the true state of Self experience) without speaking (that is, through Silence), You stood shining as a Hill (rising from) earth (to) sky.

(Translation of Michael James and Sadhu Om)

Enquiring within "Who is the seer?" I saw the seer disappearing and That alone which stands for ever. No thought arose to say "I saw". How then could the thought arise to say "I did not see?" Who has the power to explain all this in words, when even You (as Dakshinamurti) conveyed this of yore in silence only? And in order to reveal by silence, Your state transcendent, now You stand here, a Hill resplendent soaring to the sky.

(Translation of Swaminathan)

(Arunachala Ashtakam 2)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2012, 12:34:05 PM »
Not to think “I am Brahman” or “All is Brahman” is itself jivanmukti.

Thanks for this wonderful pick from Talks 111. I can retrace my steps and I was in this trap for a long time during 2007-2008 period :) after listening to some so-called gurus. Wish I had read Talks at that time - would not have spent 2-3 years in that mode

Sanjay

While talks with Bhagwan Ramana are good for beginners to get interested in Bhagwan Ramana's teachings , we must be quite careful about their contents as they are written in English and there can be errors in communicating in English and also errors due to the tone of language .Most of the people use a Yogic language for communication and that is the problem in Advaita . So they may intend one thing but communicate in a different tone and that leads to errors .
The best source for Bhagwan's works are his pure Tamil Works ( Arunachala Stuti Panchakam and Updaesa Nun Malai - Upadesa Undiyar , Ulladu Naarpadu /Anubandam , Ekanma Panchakam , Appalap Patty , Anma Vidya ) + Guru Vachaka Kovai that he has himself personally edited and checked before they were published .

Ramana Ashram has brought out an excellent Commentary on Arunachala Stuti Panchakam and Upadesa Nun Malai in English by Smt T R Kanakammal , who had the blessings of Bhagwan Ramana and also fortunate to get personal lessons on Bhagwan's Works from Sri Murugunar and hence her works can be considered as very authentic .I have both the English and Tamil versions and it is good to read in Tamil but if u do not know Tamil next best is to read her English Translation .

Om Peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2012, 12:35:54 PM »
"Who s the seer?' When I sought within, I watched the disappearance of the seer and what survived him. No thought of
'I saw' arose. How then could be the thought 'I did not see' arise?  Who has the power to convey this in word when even
Thou couldst do so in ancient days by silence only? Only to convey by silence Thy transcendent state, Thou as a Hill, shining
from heaven to earth. (Ashtakam, Verse 2, A.Osborne's translation).

Who is the youthful guru beneath the banyan tree?
Very old are the pupils who seek him.
The handsome teacher's speech in silence,
Cleared are all the pupil's doubts.

- Dakshinamurti Stotram.     

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »

have faith and that will save you.

(Talks)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2012, 07:11:41 PM »
When the matter is understood intellectually the earnest seeker begins to apply it practically. He argues at every moment, “For whom are these thoughts? Who am I?” and so forth, until he is well-established in the conviction that a Higher Power guides us. That is firmness of faith. Then all his doubts are cleared and he needs no further instructions.

(Talks)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2012, 07:23:27 PM »
Why do you bother about the jnani’s state?
You understand your present state!

(Day by Day)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2012, 07:27:16 PM »
Who is to judge what is right and what is wrong? According to previous samskaras, each one regards something or other as right.  It is only when the reality is known, what is right can be known. The best course is to find out who wants this salvation, and in tracing this ‘who’ or ego to its original source consists all right conduct.

(Day by Day)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2012, 07:33:18 PM »
The pure mind attains jnana, which is what is meant by salvation. So, eventually jnana must be reached, i.e., the ego must be traced to its source. But to those to whom this does not appeal, we have to say sat karmas lead to chitta suddhi, and chitta suddhi will lead to right knowledge or jnana, and that in its turn gives salvation.

(Day by Day)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2012, 07:39:08 PM »

Sri Bhagavan once said: Bhakti can even to a thief. He sincerely prays to God to offer some camphor, if he successfully steal that
night. He succeeds and he promptly offers camphor to God. God has no difference between a thief and a righteous person.
He treats them  all alike. He does not bother about punya and papa. He helps anyone who is devoted to him. Because the good
and bad comes due to samskaras.  A few of such thieves had taken a new turn in life and had changed into Jnanis. Others perhaps
of their bhakti may get a better birth.

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »
He was then asked to say what exactly was his method of meditation. He said: “Aham Brahmasmi” (“I am Brahman”).

M.: “I am Brahman” is only a thought. Who says it? Brahman itself does not say so. What need is there for it to say it? Nor can the real ‘I’ say so. For ‘I’ always abides as Brahman. To be saying it is only a thought. Whose thought is it? All thoughts are from the unreal ‘I’. i.e., the ‘I’- thought. Remain without thinking. So long as there is thought there will be fear.
\

(Talks)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2012, 09:02:16 PM »
‘I am Brahman’ is an aid to concentration. It keeps off other thoughts. That one thought alone persists. See whose is that thought. It will be found to be from ‘I’. Wherefrom is the ‘I’ thought? Probe into it. The ‘I thought’ will vanish. The Supreme Self will shine forth of itself. No further effort is needed.

When the one Real ‘I’ remains alone, it will not be saying; “I am Brahman”. Does a man go on repeating “I am a man”? Unless he is challenged, why should he declare himself a man? Does anyone mistake oneself for a brute, that he should say “No. I am not a brute; I am a man”? Similarly, Brahman or ‘I’ being alone, there is no one there to challenge it and so there is no need to be repeating “I am Brahman”.

(Talks)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2012, 09:13:31 PM »
Yogi Ramiah asked: A master is approached by an aspirant for enlightenment. The master says that Brahman has no qualities, nor stain, nor movement, etc. Does he not then speak as an individual? How can the aspirant’s ignorance be wiped off unless the master speaks thus? Do the words of the master as an individual amount to Truth?

M.: To whom should the master speak? Whom does he instruct? Does he see anyone different from the Self?

D.: But the disciple is asking the master for elucidation.

M.: True, but does the master see him as different? The ignorance of the disciple lies in not knowing that all are Self-realised. Can anyone exist apart from the Self? The master simply points out that the ignorance lies there and therefore does not stand apart as an individual.

(Talks)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2012, 09:18:18 PM »

Brahman is suddha manas only

(Talks)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2012, 09:23:58 PM »

"be the Knowledge"

(Talks)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2012, 09:31:03 PM »
Being is continuous. The thoughts are discontinuous. So which is permanent?

D.: Being.

M.: That is it. Realise it. That is your true nature. Your nature is simple Being, free from thoughts.

(Talks)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta