Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 196711 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #1350 on: August 21, 2015, 07:26:36 AM »

We daily experience that the five thieves called our five senses, rent our mind and take away our peace. 
But over practice, one can keep the five thieves at bay.  Once we understand that Arunachala is within
mind, the five thieves cannot rob our peace. This we should practice at least at the time of puja,
meditation etc.,

Bhagavan Ramana gives this idea in the verses 11 and 12 of Sri Arunachala Akshara Manamalai:

Verse 11:  When these five robbers, the five senses, enter my mind, are You not present there at home
to keep them out, Oh! Arunachala!

Verse 12:  You are the one without a second, the sole, real being, Oh! Arunachala!  Who can hide you
or hide from you and come in here? If strangers come in, it is with your knowledge. All this is but your connivance.
                                              - Tr. K. Swaminathan.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: August 28, 2015, 07:21:28 AM »

Jeevan Mukta is one who, while even in body, abides in the Self. Bhagavan Ramana and earlier
Sri Sankara are the examples for this state of Jeevan Mukti.  Videha Mukta, is one, who while body
abides off and on in the Self and in this case, permanent abidance happens only when he leaves the
body.  I can tell two examples for this.  These are Tamizh Saiva Saints.  They are Saint Tirunavukkarasar
and Chidambaram Ramalinga Swamigal.  In this state, it is often said, that they merge in the Light
that appears outside and leaves no trace of the body.  Or on a appointed day, they simply disappear!  Sometimes, it is said in Periya Puranam, that Siva and Uma appear and take them with the body.

A Jeevan Mukta continues to live in the body and his life is like a dream and the body leaves only
months or years later as per the wish of God.  It may be a natural death, with senility or disease.

The authentic scripture which speaks about Jeevan and Videha Mukti states along with the characteristics,
is Viveka Choodamani of Sri Sankara.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: September 05, 2015, 10:09:43 AM »

All the five elements viz., earth, water, fire, air and Space are the aspects of Prakruti, Maya, Mother Unnamulai. Mind, Intellect and Ego are also her making.  She gives all these and plays with the living beings.  The root of Prakruti, is the Purusha, the Self or the Brahman.  The Brahman and Maya are
concorporate.  But the Brahman can live without Maya and not vice versa.  All the Maya swarupam contains misery, dhukkam.  But this is conferred by her only to enable the living being to attain the Brahman.

Once there was some discussions in the Old Hall.  The devotees were debating about He and She (Annamalai and Unnamulai). Someone said that there is no He without She.  In fact He (the word) is within She (the word).  They were looking at Bhagavan Ramana for a suitable answer.  Bhagavan Ramana said:  Yes.
No doubt. But He can live without She.  She cannot live without
He.  All word play only.  But it contains all meanings.

The same will hold good with Destiny and Free Will.  They are like Egg and Hen example of Gaudapada.
Do not discuss, whether Destiny is first or Free Will is first.  Gaudapada and Sankara (later in his commentary of Karika) say:  Do not worry about the egg and the hen.  Break the egg and throw it on the field.
Crush the neck of the hen and throw it on the field.  See the field, the Prakruti, Earth.  And then see the root of this earth and all the other elements, mind, ego and intellect.  Stay with the Self, the Brahman.

Once a devotee came and asked Bhagavan Ramana: "When I meditate, there are mosquitoes biting me.
What should I do?

Should I kill them or leave them?"

Bhagavan Ramana smiled and asked him:  "What do you meditate?"     

The devotee said: "I am meditating that I am not the body!"

Bhagavan Ramana said:  "Then, it is the same thing that mosquitoes are also telling you.  They are biting
you to remind you that you are not the body, you are not the body!"

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 05, 2015, 10:14:23 AM »

We should love the Self and depend on the Self.  But we should deal with the world but fear the world. 

Sarvam Vastu Bhayam, says Barthruhari the famous Sanskrit poet. All worldly objects should give us
also a sense of fear and not merely elation.   A healthy man fears sickness, a learned person fears that there could be a more learned person to beat him, and a handsome person may be afraid of disease and decay to his handsomeness.  The greatest fear for all these, is death, marana bhayam.   

The only fearless state is Self abidance and it is deathlessness.  This is what Nachiketas asked Yama to give.  Yama wanted to divert Nachiketas with wealth, kingdom, good food and nice dancing girls.  Nachiketas asked:  Will they not become old and decayed?  Will they not reduce in quantity and quality? Keep these dancing girls with you.  I want only Deathlessness, where there is no fear and death.  (Katha Upanishad).

Sankara says as to what to do to ward off this fear and death. Run for the Guru, Run as if your head is
on fire!  Run quickly. Do not say, Tomorrow.  Do not say:  I shall go after watching this TV serial.  Will you wait for tomorrow or the completion of the TV serial, when your head is on fire?

Saint Manikkavachagar says in Tiruvachakam, Yathirai Pathu, Verse 7, Decad on Pilgrimage:

"This world is not going to stand for ever.  Hence, we shall also
not stand here for long.  Let us go to the lotus feet of Siva, our
God with golden hue.  Do not delay, do not stand here.  IF YOU
STAY BEHIND AND DELAY, He will become rare to obtain!"

Arunachala Siva. 

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: September 05, 2015, 10:29:04 AM »
Subramanian,
May I Request you to post only teachings of Sri Bhagavan(in his words) in this thread.Thanks very much.
Namaskar

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: September 05, 2015, 10:34:21 AM »
Dear Ravi,

I agree with you.  I shall see to it that it does not occur in future.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: September 06, 2015, 04:17:22 PM »

What is the proof for "Hrudaya Vidya"?.  It is only the experience, or the state of Being. 
Bhagavan Ramana when asked about this had said: What proof?  Only my experience!

How then the "Hrudaya Vidya" can be attained?  Only by Sraddha, faithful attention and Guru's
Grace.  Nothing else is required.

Saint Tayumanavar sings: 

My Guru said:  See everything with my Grace.
But I tried in vain to see that with my intellect.
I found only the all encompassing darkness.
The Guru came again and said:  Have Sraddha.
Then the whole light revealed itself.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: September 07, 2015, 07:36:43 AM »

The Jiva and the language or words are all in the world of mind -- Manomandala. It is all sound and
words.  Atma is in silence.  There is no need to understand the words, the language.  Many a times
only sound is adequate. What does the sound OM, or AUM explain?  It is according to one's own
mind or the Self, the Heart. 

Prahlada was given atma-upadesa by Narada, when the child was in the womb.  What language the
is the child in the womb understand? It can understand?  It can at best understand only the sound.

Bhagavan Ramana said only this.  Summa Iru.  No words,
no sound, the total silence of the mind and the jiva by
remaining in one's own Heart.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: September 07, 2015, 08:12:25 AM »

Once in 1938, Sri Annamalai Swami asked Bhagavan Ramana:  "Only with Guru-krupa (Grace of Guru), one can attain the home of liberation, is it not Swami?"

Bhagavan Ramana replied:  "The home of liberation is not outside. It is within one.  Once a person desires to attain this home within, then the Guru within will pull him back with his hands.  The Guru outside will push him inside.  This alone is Guru Krupa, the Grace of Guru and nothing else."

Bhagavan Ramana then quoted the Verse 79 (in Tamil book) or Verse 86 (in English book) of Kaivalya Navaneetham:

"Lord, you are the Reality remaining as my inmost Self, ruling
me during all my countless incarnations!  Glory to you who have
put on an external form in order to instruct me!  I do not see how
I can repay your grace for having liberated me.  Glory!  Glory
to your Holy Feet!"

(Source:  Sri Ramana Ninaivugal, Sri Annamalai Swami, Sri
Annamalai Swami Asramam, Palakottu, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: September 08, 2015, 07:24:18 AM »

Arunachala Hill is displaying several colors like red (due to shelf rocks which are red in color) and
green (due to vegetation). Bhagavan Ramana has used the word Red Hill, "Semmalai"  in
Tamizh in Arunachala Pancharatnam Verse 2.  The message is again, it is great and it removes the
ignorance, darkness, which is black in color.  Like the dark night is swept away be the red rising sun.
The centuries old Arunachala Mahatmyam and Arunachala Puranam also call it as Red Hill.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: September 09, 2015, 07:28:40 AM »

1. Firstly regarding meat, Bhagavan Ramana only said that vegetarian food would help to develop
purity of mind, since meat and fish consist of chemicals that would encourage rajasic character.  He did
not recommend vegetarian food to Western devotees, as a matter of obligation.  But these sincere Western devotees like Chadwick turned to vegetarianism on their own after some time.

2.  Regarding sex, Bhagavan Ramana has said that a family life with wife and children is not prohibited.
 One cannot become an ascetic just because he wants.  He should be mentally prepared in all sincerity.
Unless mind is controlled, sex cannot be controlled.  So He permitted the householders to stay as householders and do atma vichara.  But by obverse, He did not definitely recommend permissive sex. 
Since He has said mind must be controlled, one should conclude that permissive sex where there is
no control of mind, is definitely prohibited.

3.  Those who do not follow these guidelines, have no business to speak about Bhagavan Ramana or
consider Him as their guru or consider their own path as Bhagavan Ramana's Way.

4. Papaji came to Bhagavan Ramana and Bhagavan Ramana had guided him suitably.  Whether Papaji
later gave mantras to his disciples or prescribed any specific guru mantras, I do not know.
Bhagavan Ramana did not give any mantras.  His only mantra was to inquire Who am I?

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: September 09, 2015, 07:33:04 AM »

In Sri Arunachala Ashtakam, Verse 1, Bhagavan Ramana says:
"Look, there it stands as if insentient. Mysterious is the way it works, beyond all human understanding.
From my unthinking childhood, the immensity of Arunachala had shone in my awareness.  But
even after when I heard from someone that it was only Tiruvannamalai, I did not realize its meaning.
When it stilled my mind and drew me to itself and I came near, I saw that it was
stillness absolute."

He says in Sri Arunachala Ashtakam, Verse 2, as to what happened when He came to Arunachala.

Inquiring within 'Who is the seer?' I saw the seer disappearing and That alone which stands for ever.  No thought arose to say, 'I saw'.  How then could the thought arise to say that 'I did not see'?
Who has the power to explain all this in words, when even You (as Sri Dakshinamoorthy) conveyed this of yore, in silence only?  And in order to reveal by silence, Your state transcendent, now You stand here, a Hill resplendent soaring to the sky!

Here, one can say that Bhagavan Ramana's Brahmopadesam, the teaching about Brahman told by teacher during the sacred ceremony is over!  The Brahmopadesam is what?  It is all silence.  It is all
non-moving Hill.  It is all non-moving mind.  "Achalamai kanden", says Bhagavan Ramana in Tamizh.
It means both, 1) 'I saw you as non moving' and 2) 'I saw and my mind became non-moving'.

Once Dr. Syed asked Bhagavan Ramana:  "How can such a large Hill stay in Heart?"  Bhagavan Ramana smiled and replied:  "When you can see Viceroy's House (big Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi) in your dream, can you not have Arunachala in Heart?"

Again when someone else asked Bhagavan:  "Whether the Heart is in body?" Bhagavan Ramana replied:  "Everything in the universe is in Heart!"

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: September 10, 2015, 11:05:20 AM »

"The substance within" is Atma or God or Christ or Arunachala.  If this is not realized,  the mind which
is also with Atma, will come out and do its million mischieves.  The mind should be made quiescent
and this is possible only if you bring forth the Light within.  The Light, which is the Light of the Sun is
there, the little lamp called Mind, even if it is there, will look pale and is practically not there.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: September 10, 2015, 11:11:20 AM »

Bhagavan Ramana has wonderfully displayed the non dual state or Cosmic Consciousness on many
occasions in His life.

1. We have seen how He explained to His Mother Azhagamma, that all the laborers who had come to Skandasramam for food, are in fact, Arunachala Swarupam, and they should be fed first without Mother showing any 'madi' (brahminical purity) of her eating the food first and giving the remaining food to others.

2.  Similarly in the present Asramam, on a Mahadeepam eve, He told the attendants (who had moved the railings away, to prevent the dirty village people coming near Bhagavan's sofa) to move the sofa too to be close to the railings so that He could see the villagers, who are Arunachala Swarupam!

Once some devotee asked Bhagavan Ramana whether Srimad Bhagavad Gita was told for the sake of Arjuna, Bhagavan Ramana replied:  It has been told for the sake of You!

In advaitic state, who is Arjuna, who are you?  All are same for that great Teacher, Krishna.

Again, once when G. V. Subbaramaiah told Bhagavan Ramana, about the excellence of Shakespeare's
poetry, Bhagavan Ramana told GVS: It is your poetry!

All are for me.  Everything is for me.  When I totally surrender to Godhead, everything is mine and
mine only!

In advaitic state of Cosmic Consciousness, where is the other?

Saint Manikkavachagar sings in Kovil Tirupadigam, Decad on the Temple (of Chidambaram):

You have given You to me!
I have given me to You!
Sankara, who is the wiser of the two?
I got endless Bliss from You!
What is that You got from this poor me!
You are living in my Heart, O Siva of Tiruperundurai!
O Iswara, You have taken the abode in me,
What recompense can I pay to You?

This is the state where God becomes poorer by taking away
my ego in exchange for His Sat-Chit-Ananda.  In fact, God
does not know how to do business!

After this total surrender, and my seeing every object and every person as me, there is nothing more
to be achieved.  After self realization, where is puja, meditation, japa and karma?  But till such time, one should deal with the world, treating every object and every person as he only. Because, we cannot
get out of this world, till god decides about our departure from the body!

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: September 11, 2015, 07:34:43 AM »

On 10th May 1946, Krishna Jivrajani said to Bhagavan:

During Sadhana I feel that something is going up. Is that right or should it go down?

Bhagavan:  Never mind, whether something goes up or down.  Does it exist without you?  Never
forget that. Whatever experience may come, remember who has the experience and thus cling
to "I" or the Self.

Jivarajani:  Suppose there is some disturbance during meditation, such as mosquito bites, should one
persist in meditation and try to bar the bites and ignore the interruption or drive the mosquitoes away
and then continue the meditation?

Bhagavan:  You must do as you find most convenient. You will not attain mukti simply because you
refrain from driving the mosquitoes away.  Nor being denied mukti simply because you drive them away.
The thing is to attain is one pointedness and then attain mano nasa. Whether you do this by putting
up with the mosquito bites or driving the mosquitoes away is left to you.  If you are completely absorbed in your meditation,  you will not know that the mosquitoes are biting you.  Till you attain that stage why should you not drive away them away?

(Recall Bhagavan Ramana staying inside the Patalalingam shrine for many days and when He was lifted and brought out, the devotees found His thighs oozing blood with insect and scorpion bites and there was puss formation too!)

(Source:  Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean of Grace,
Volume 5. Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai)

Arunachala Siva.