Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 197275 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #1275 on: April 17, 2015, 12:19:03 PM »
Talks No. 30:

Mr.N. Natesa Iyer, the leader of the bar in a South Indian town, an orthodox brahmin, asked:  'Are the gods Isvara or
Vishnu, their sacred regions Kailasa or Vaikunta real?'

Maharshi: As real as you are in this body.

Devotee: Do they possess a vyavahara satya i.e. phenomenal existence,like my body?  Or are they fictions like the horn of
a hare?

Maharshi:  They do exist.

Devotee:  If so, they must be somewhere. Where are they?

Maharshi:  Persons who have seen them say that they exist somewhere. So we must accept their statement.

Devotee: Where do they exist?

Maharshi: In you.

Devotee:  Then it is only an idea -- that which I can create and control?

Maharshi: Everything is like that.

Devotee:  But I can create pure fictions e.g.hare's horn or only part truths, e.g.mirage, while there are also facts irrespective
of imagination.  Do the gods Isvara or Vishnu exist like that?

Maharshi: Yes. 

Devotee: Is He subject to pralaya (cosmic dissolution)?

Maharshi: Why?  Man becoming aware of the Self transcends cosmic dissolution and becomes liberated (mukta).
Why are not god (Isvara)m who is infinitely wiser and abler?

Devotee:  Do devas and pischasas (devils) exist similarly?

Maharshi: Yes.

Devotee: How are we to conceive of Supreme Consciousness (Chaitanya Brahman)?

Maharshi: As that which is.

Devotee:  Should it be thought of as Self Effulgent?

Maharshi:  It transcends light and darkness.  An individual (Jiva) sees both.  The Self enlightens the individual to see
light and darkness.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: April 17, 2015, 12:28:22 PM »
4.1.1946 - Afternoon:

Dr. Syed read out to Bhagavan a Sufi story from this month's Vision whose moral is there must be implicit, unquestioning
faith in and obedience to the master's direction.

When all others would not obey Muhammad Gazni's command to destroy a precious gem of his, one servant unhestiatingly
destroyed it and, when taken to task for it, by the others, said, 'Nothing is more precious to me than my master's command'
I was reminded by this of he following incident in Ramanuja's life and so related it to Dr. Syed and others.  It seems God
Ranganatha was being taken out in procession in Srirangam and Ramanuja called out to a disciple to come to come out
and see the procession.  The disciple was boiling Ramanuja's milk and would not come out, however, often he was called,
and later explained to his master, 'Rangantha is your master and I couldn't leave off your service, i.e. boiling milk for you,
to go and see Ranaganatha.'

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: April 17, 2015, 01:31:15 PM »
Sri A.R.Natarajan, former President of RMCL, in his book Sayings of Sri Ramana Maharshi. 

Who am I? is not a mantra.  It means you must find out where in arises the 'I'-thought which is the source of all
thoughts. 

Perception, memory, or any other experience only comes to the 'I'. You don't have the experiences during sleep and
yet you existed during sleep.  And you exist now too.  That shows that 'I' continues while other things come and go.

'Who am I?' means you must concentrate and see where the 'I'-thought arises. Instead of looking outwards, look inwards
and see where the 'I'-thought arises.

Never mind whether there are visions or sounds or anything else, or whether there is a void.  Are you present during all
this or are you not?  You must have been there even during the void to be able to say you experienced the void.  To be
be found in that 'you' is the quest for the 'I' from start to finish.     

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #1278 on: April 18, 2015, 04:36:48 AM »
drink up drink up come fill your cup with the promise of a man ......
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: April 18, 2015, 12:07:32 PM »
Talks No. 30 continues...

Devotee:  Should it be realized as 'I am not the body, nor the agent, nor the enjoyer, etc.,'

Maharshi:  Why these thoughts? Do we think that we are men, etc.,?  By not thinking so, do we cease to be men?

Devotee: Should one realize it then by the scriptural text such as 'there are no differences here.'

Maharshi:  Why even that?

Devotee: If we think 'I am the real', will it do?

Maharshi: All thoughts are inconsistent with realization. The correct state is to exclude thoughts of ourselves and all
other thoughts.  Thought is one thing and realization is quite another.

Devotee: Is it not necessary or at least advantageous to render the body invisible in one's spiritual progress?

Maharshi: Why do you think of that?  Are you the body?

Devotee: No. But advanced spirituality must effect a change in the body.Is it not so?

Maharshi: What change do you desire in the body, and why?

Devotee: Is not invisibility evidence of advanced wisdom (Jnana)?

Maharshi:  In that case, all those who wrote and who passed their lives in the sight of other must be considered as ignorant!

Devotee: But Sages like Valmiki and Vasishta possessed such powers?

Maharshi: It might have been their fate (prarabdha) to develop such powers (siddhis) side by side with their wisdom.
Why should you aim at that which is not essential but apt to prove a hindrance to wisdom? Does the Jnani feel oppressed
by his body being visible?

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: April 18, 2015, 12:35:39 PM »
05.01.1946 entry in Day by Day:

A visitor asked  Bhagavan,'Priests prescribe various rituals and pujas and people are told that unless they properly observe
these with fasts, feasts etc., sin will accrue, and so on. Is there any necessity to observe such rituals and ceremonial worship?

Bhagavan: Yes. All such worship is also necessary.  It may not be necessary for you.  But that does not mean it is
necessary for nobody and is no good at all.What is necessary for the infant class pupil is not necessary for the graduate.
But even the graduate has to make use of the very alphabet he learnt in the infant class.He knows the full use and significance
of that alphabet now.

The same visitor asked,'I do Omkara Puja.I say 'Om Ram'. Is that good?

Bhagavan:  Yes. Any puja is good.  Om Ram or any other name will do.  The point is to keep all other thoughts except
the one thought of Om or Ram or God. All mantra or japa helps that.  He who does the Japa or Ram, e.g.becomes
Rama maya.  The worshipper becomes in course of time the worshipped. It is only then meaning of the Omkar which
he was repeating.

Our real nature is Mukti. But we are imagining we are bound and we are making various, strenuous attempts to become
free, while all the while free. This will be understood only when we reach that stage. We will be surprised that we were
frantically trying to attain something which we have always been and are. An illustration will make this clear.  A man goes
to sleep in this ball. He dreams he has gone on a world tour, is roaming over hill and dale, forest and country, desert and sea,
across various continents and after many years of weary and strenuous travel, returns to this country, reaches Tiruvannamalai,
enters the Asramam and walks into the Hall.  Just as that moment he wakes up and finds he has not moved an inch but
was sleeping where he lay down. He has not returned after great effort to this Hall, but is and always has been in the Hall.
It is exactly like that. If it is asked, why being free we imagine we are bound,  I answer, 'Why being in the Hall, did you
imagine you were on a world adventure crossing the hill and dale, desert and sea? It is all mind or maya.'

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: April 18, 2015, 01:37:46 PM »
Sri A.R. Natarajan, former President of RMCL, Bangalore in his Sayings of Sri Ramana Maharshi:

Whatever other method may be chosen, there will be doer. That cannot be escaped. Who is that doer must be found out.
Till that,  the sadhana cannot be ended.  So eventually all must come to find out Who am I? You complain that there is
nothing preliminary or positive to start with.You have the 'I' to start with.

Suggestive replies such as Sivoham etc., to this inquiry are not to be given to the mind during the meditation. The true
answer will come by itself.  Any answer which the ego might give cannot be correct.  These affirmations or auto suggestions
may be of help to those who follow other methods but not in this method of inquiry.

The Vichara or to know the Selfis different from the method of Sivoham or Soham. I rather lay stress upon Self Knowledge,
for you are  first concerned with yourself before you proceed to know the world and its Lord.  The Soham meditation or
I am Brahman meditation is more or less a mental thought. But the quest I speak of is a direct method, indeed superior
to other meditations. For the moment you get into a movement of quest for the Self and go deeper and deeper the real
Self is waiting to take you in there. Then whatever, is due is done by something else and you have no hand in it.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: April 19, 2015, 08:59:26 AM »
Talks No. 30 continues.....

Devotee: No.

Maharshi: A hypnotist can render himself suddenly invisible. Is he therefore a Sage?

Devotee: No.

Maharshi: Visibility and invisibility refer to a seer. Who is that seer? Solve that first.  Other matters are unimportant.

Devotee:  The Vedas contain conflicting accounts of Cosmogony. Ether is said to be the first creation in one place.
Vital energy (prana) in another place.  Something else in yet another.  Water in still another and so on.How are these
to be reconciled?  Do not these impair the credibility of the Vedas?

Maharshi: Different seers saw different aspects of truths at different times, each emphasizing some one view. Why do
you worry about their conflicting statements? The essential aim of the Veda is to teach us the nature of the imperishable
Atman and  show us that we are That.

Devotee: I am satisfied with that portion.

Maharshi:  Then treat all the rest as artha vada (auxiliary arguments) or exposition for the sake of the ignorant who seek
to trace the genesis of things and matters.

Devotee:  I am a sinner. I do not perform religious sacrifices (homas) etc.,Shall I have painful rebirths for that reason?
Pray save me!

Maharshi: Why do you say that you are a sinner? You trust in God is sufficient to save from rebirths.Cast all burden on Him.

In the Tiruvachakam it is said:  'Though I  am worse than a dog, you have graciously undertaken to protect me.  This delusion
of birth and death is maintained by you.  Moreover, am I the person to sift and judge?  Am I the Lord here?  Oh Maheswara!
It is for you to roll me through the bodies (by births and deaths) or to keep fixed at your own feet.'

Therefore, have faith and that will save you.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: April 19, 2015, 09:14:10 AM »
The Tiruvachakam verse  (Kuzhaitha Pathu - Decad of Melting), quoted by Sri Bhagavan in the above Talks.

நாயிற் கடையாம் நாயேனை நயந்துநீயே ஆட்கொண்டாய்
மாயப் பிறவி உன்வசமே வைத்திட்டிருக்கும் அதுவன்றி
ஆயக்கடவேன் நானோதான் என்ன தோஇங் கதிகாரங்
காயத் திடுவாய் உன்னுடைய கழற்கீழ் வைப்பாய் கண்ணுதலே.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: April 19, 2015, 11:12:20 AM »
Day by Day entry dated 5.1.1946 continues...

Another visitor who said that he was from Sri Aurobindo's Ashram, asked Bhagavan: 'But we see pain in the world. A
man is hungry.  It is a physical reality.  It is very real to him.  Are we call it a dream and remain unmoved by his pain?

Bhagavan: From the point of view of Jnana or the reality, the pain you speak of is certainly a dream, as in the world of
which the pain is an infinitesimal part.  In the dream also you yourself feel hunger.  You see others suffering hunger.
You need yourself and, moved by pity, feed the others that you find suffering from hunger.  So long as the dream lasted,
all those pains were quite as real as you now think the pain you see in the world to be. It was only when you woke up
that you discovered that the pain in the dream was unreal.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: April 29, 2015, 06:42:54 AM »
Your own Self realization is the greatest service you can do for the world.

Sri Bhagavan.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: April 30, 2015, 06:09:21 AM »
Happiness is beyond thought.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: April 30, 2015, 07:16:19 AM »
Once Devaraja Mudaliar who was always curious about things and was asking questions to Sri Bhagavan, once
asked Him, 'Are only important things in one' life such as one's profession etc., predetermined, or even small things
in one's daily life?'

Bhagavan replied: Even small things like when you should lift the tumbler  and drink water etc.,

Perhaps Mudaliar could not grasp the truth immediately but would have realized it later.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: June 08, 2015, 11:54:57 AM »
Mrs. Jennings, an American lady, asked a few questions:

Devotee - Is not affirmation God more effective than the quest, 'Who am I?' . Affirmation is positive, whereas the other is negation.
Moreover, it indicates separateness.

Maharshi:  So long as you seek to know how to realize, this advice is given to find your Self. Your seeking the method
denotes your separateness.

Devotee: Is it not better to say, 'I am the Supreme Being, than ask Who am I?

Maharshi: Who affirms? There must be one to do it. Find that one.

Devotee: Is not meditation better than investigation?

Maharshi: Meditation implies mental imagery, whereas investigation is for Reality.  The former is objective, whereas the
latter is subjective.

Devotee: There must a scientific approach to this subject.

Maharshi: To eschew unreality and seek Reality is scientific.

Talks 338.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: June 11, 2015, 01:32:26 PM »

To an individual, who was persistently asking Bhagavan Ramana, "Why is God so unjust, so imperfect?"
He replied:  "Why ask me? Go and ask Him?"  On being told that he could not go to God,
Bhagavan retorted:  "Then, when you cannot reach Him, how can you question Him?  Salvation
is not for the weak!"

Another man, went on asking Bhagavan where his deceased sister had been reborn, He replied not
to bother about such things, as they were only manifestations of his ego.  The man persisted saying:
"It was a quest for knowledge, pure and simple.  No ego involved."

Bhagavan Ramana then said:  "Was she born first only as your sister?"  On being told that she must have had
thousands of births before, He asked him, "if he ever had cared to find out what she had been born as,
before she was born as his sister."

On his replying that he did not, the Maharshi told:  "Do you not see that it is only your egoism that has
prompted your questions, and not any desire for knowledge, pure and simple."

(Source:  An article by Sri. K. Panchpakesa Iyer, in Arunachala's
Ramana, Boundless Ocean of Grace, Volume 6, Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva,