Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings  (Read 196822 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings
« Reply #1200 on: March 21, 2015, 03:59:17 PM »
Mr.Evans-Wentz continued to seek clarifications from Sri Bhagavan:

Devotee: There are six centers in the body and there are corresponding centers in the world.

Maharshi: Yes.  What is in the world is in the body; and what is in the body is in the world also.

Devotee:  Is the sacredness of Varanasi a matter of faith, or is it externally also real?

Maharshi:  Both.

Devotee: Some people are attracted to one place of pilgrimage and others to another. Is it according to their
temperaments?

Maharshi: Yes. Just consider how all of you born in different places and living in other lands are gathered here today?
What is the Force which has attracted you here? If this is understood the other Force is also understood.

Devotee: Is solitude is necessary for a Jnani?

Maharshi:  Solitude is in the mind of man. One might be in the thick of the world and maintain serenity of the mind.
Such a one is in solitude. Another may stay in a forest, but still be unable to control his mind. He cannot be said to be
in solitude. Solitude is a function of the mind.  A man attached to desire cannot get solitude wherever he may be.
A detached man is always in solitude.

Devotee:  They say that there are many Saints in Tibet who remain in solitude and are still very helpful to the world.
How can it be?

Maharshi:  It can be so.  Realization of the Self is the greatest help that can be rendered to humanity. Therefore, the Saints are
said to be very helpful, though they remain in forests. But it should not be forgotten that solitude is not in forests only.
It can be held even in towns, in the thick of worldly occupations.

Devotee: It is  not necessary that the saints should mix with people and be helpful to them?

Maharshi: The Self alone is the Reality. The world and the rest of it are not..  The realized being does not see the world
as different from himself.

Devotee: Thus, then,the saint's realization leads to the uplift of humanity without the latter being aware of it.
Is it so?

Maharshi: Yes. The help is imperceptible but is still there. A saint helps the whole of humanity, unknown to the latter.

Talks 18 & 20.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: March 22, 2015, 10:06:47 AM »
Mr. Evans Wentz continued to seek clarifications:

Devotee:  Would it not be better if he mixed with others?

Maharshi:  There are no others to mix with.  The Self is the one and only Reality.

Devotee:  If there be a hundred Self realized men will it not be to the greater benefit of the world?

Maharshi: When you say 'Self' you refer to the unlimited, but when you add 'men' to it, you limit the meaning.  There is only
one unlimited Self.

Devotee: Yes, yes.  I see!  Sri Krishna said in the Gita that work must be performed without any attachment and such work
is better than idleness. Is it Karma Yoga?

Maharshi:  What is said is given out to suit the temperament of the hearers.

Devotee: In Europe it is not understood by the people that a man in solitude can be helpful.  They imagine that men working
in the world can alone be  useful.  When will this confusion cease?  Will the European mind continues wading in the morass or
will it realize the truth?

Maharshi:  Never mind Europe or America.  Where are they except in your mind?  Realize your Self and then all is realized.
If you dream and see several men, and then wake up to recall your dream, do you ascertain if the persons of your dream
are also awake?

Devotee: What does Maharshi think of the theory of universal illusion (Maya)?

Maharshi: What is Maya?  It is only Reality.

Devotee:  Is not maya illusion?

Maharshi:  Maya is used to the signify the manifestations of the Reality.  Thus Maya is only Reality.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: March 22, 2015, 01:26:22 PM »
A mortal absent  from the Heart, sees only the mind, just as the light of the moon alone is seen at night when the sun
has set.

The mind of the knower abiding in the Heart, is merged in the consciousness of the Heart, like the moon light in the day light.

Though the verbal meaning of the term Prajnana intelligence, is the mind, the wise know its essential meaning to be the Heart.
The Supreme is only the Heart.

The distinction between the seer and the seen is only in the mind.  For those abiding in the Heart, the perception is unitary.

When there is a forcible arrest of thoughts,  by swooning, sleep, excessive joy, or sorrow,fear and so on, the mind goes back
to the source, the Heart.

Such a merger is unconscious and the person is unaware of it.  However, when one consciously enters the Heart, it is
termed Samadhi.  Hence the difference in names.

In the center of the Heart Cave, Brahman shines alone.  It is a feeling of the Self experienced directly as 'I'-'I'. Enter the
Heart through self inquiry or merging by or by breath control and become rooted as That.

No one denies that the physical organ is on the left. But the Heart which is speak of is on the right. This is my experience   
and I require no authority for it.  Still you can find confirmation in a Malayalam Ayurveda book and in the Sita Upanishad.

Sri A.R.Natarajan, former President of RMCL, Bangalore in his book Sri Ramana and His Sayings.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: March 22, 2015, 03:02:52 PM »
Referring to the stanza - angiuru vayum oLi...(2nd Stanza of Sri Arunachala Mahatmyam) in Collected Works of Sri
Ramana Maharshi, I asked Bhagavan,whether the Cave mentioned in it is inside God or inside the mountain (which
of course, is said to be God).

Bhagavan replied:  'Of course, in the context, it means the Cave inside the Hill and that there, in the Cave, are all enjoyments.'

'The stanza says you are to believe that inside this Hill there is a Cave, which is brilliance itself, or which is glorious with light,
and all the enjoyments are found there.'

I also asked Bhagavan:' I have read somewhere that this place is called bhoga kshetra.  I wonder what is meant thereby.'

Bhagavan replied:  'Yes, it is said so.  But what does it mean?  If thinking of this kshetra can itself give mukti, what wonder
if this place can give all other enjoyments one may desire?'

Day by Day 6.12.1945 - Night.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: March 23, 2015, 11:32:36 AM »
Mr.Evans Wentz continues to seek clarifications:

Devotee:  Some say that Sri Sankaracharya was only intellectual and not realized. Is it  so?

Maharshi:  Why worry about Sankaracharya? Realize your own Self.  Others can take care of themselves.

Devotee:  Jesus Christ cured people of their diseases. Is that only an occult power (siddhi)?

Maharshi:  Was Jesus was aware at the time that he was curing men of their men of their diseases? He could not have
been conscious of his powers.  There is a story related as follows: Jesus had once cured a man of his blindness. The man
turned wicked, in course of time.  Meeting him after some years, Jesus observed his wickedness and asked him why he
was so. He replied saying that, when he was blind, he could not commit any sin.  But after Jesus had cured him of blindness
he grew wicked and Jesus was responsible for his wickedness.

Devotee: Was not Jesus a Perfected Being possessing occult powers (siddhi)?

Maharshi:  He could not have been of his powers (siddhis).

Devotee:  Is it not good to acquire them, such as telepathy etc.,?

Maharshi: Telepathy or radio enables one to see and hear from afar.  They are all the same, hearing and seeing.  Whether one
hears from near or far does not make any difference in hearing.  The fundamental factor is the hearer, the subject. Without
the hearer or the seer, there can be no hearing or seeing.  The latter are the functions of the mind.The occult powers (siddhis)
are therefore only in mind.  They are not natural to the Self.  That which is not natural, but acquired, cannot be permanent
and is not worth striving for.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: March 23, 2015, 01:04:58 PM »
Because you seek true consciousness.  Where can you find it?  Can you attain it outside yourself?  You have to find it
internally. Therefore, you are directed inward.The Heart is the seat of consciousness or the consciousness itself.

When the room is dark you need a lamp to light it, but when the sun arises, there is no need for a lamp. Objects are seen
without one.  And to see the sun no lamp is needed for it is the self luminous.  Similarly with the mind.  The reflected light
of the mind is necessary to perceive objects, but to seethe Heart it is enough for the mind to be turned inwards to it.Then
the mind is lost in it and the Heart shines forth.

Sri A.R.Natarajan, former President of RMCL,Bangalore. in his book Sayings of Sri Ramana Maharshi.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: March 24, 2015, 09:56:51 AM »
Mr. Evans Wentz continues to seek clarifications:

Devotee: But common people in Europe and America would not appreciate such an attitude and would desire a display
of powers and instructions by lectures, etc.,

Maharshi: Lectures may entertain individuals for a few hours without improving them. Silence on the other hand is permanent
and benefits the whole of humanity.

Devotee: But silence is not understood.

Maharshi:  It does not matter. By silence, eloquence is meant.  Oral lectures are not so eloquent as silence.   Silence is
unceasing eloquence. The Primal Master, Dakshinamurti, is the ideal.  He taught his rishi disciples by silence.

Devotee:  But then there were  disciples for Him.  It was alright.Now it is different. They must be sought after and helped.

Maharshi:  This is a sign of ignorance. The power which created you has created the world. If it can take care of you,
it can similarly take care of the world also.

Devotee: What does Bhagavan think of the 'lost soul' mentioned by Jesus Christ?

Maharshi:  Think what there is to be lost. Is there anything to lose? What matters is only that which is natural. Such must
be eternal and cannot be experienced.  That which is born must die; that which is acquired must be lost. Were you
born?  You were ever existent? The Self can never be lost.

Devotee:  Buddha advises the eight fold path as being the best so that none might be lost.

Maharshi:  Yes.Such is called Raja Yoga by the Hindus.

Devotee: Is Yoga advised for a spiritual aspirant?

Maharshi: Yoga helps control of mind.

Devotee: But does it not lead to occult powers,which are said to be dangerous?

Maharshi: But you qualified your question by the words 'a spiritual aspirant'.  You did not mean a seeker of powers?(siddhis).

Talks No.  20.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: March 24, 2015, 10:33:50 AM »
Dr. Srinivasa Rao asked whether after putting oneself the question 'Who am I?', one should remain quiet or whether one
should go on to give the answer, such as 'I am not this body, senses,etc.,'  or whether one should goon repeating the
question ' Who am I?'

Bhagavan:  Why should you go on repeating 'Who am I?' as if it is a mantra? If the thoughts arise, then the question,
'To whom these thoughts arise?' 'Whence does the 'I' to which  these thoughts come arise?' have to be asked,i.e.
to keep away the thoughts.  Even in mantra japam. when the man fails to repeat the mantra i.e when the thoughts
begin to occupy his mind, he reminds himself, 'I have left off the mantra/' and begins repeating it.  The objects in
all the paths is to keep off all other thoughts except the thought of God  or Self.

Day by Day 6.12.1945.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: March 24, 2015, 02:12:19 PM »
The Heart is the center of spiritual experience according to the testimony of the Sages. The spiritual Heart Center is not an organ
of the body. All that you can say is that it is the core of your being, that with which you are identical whether you are awake,
asleep or dreaming, whether you are engaged in work or immersed in Samadhi.

The questioner asking about the Heart's location accepts his bodily existence.  It is from this point of view that any reference
to a physical body comes to be made.  What is indicated is the position of the Heart in relation to your identity.

When a school boy says, 'I did the sum correctly' or when he asks you, 'Shall I run and get the book for you' would he point
to the head that he did the sum correctly or his legs that will swiftly get you the book?  No. In both cases, his finger pointed
out quite naturally towards the right side of his chest,thus giving innocent expression to the profound truth that the source
of 'I am ness' in him there. It is an unerring intuition that makes him refer to himself, to the Heart in that way.

Sri  A.R.Natarajan, former President of RMCL in Bangalore, in his book Sayings of Sri Ramana Maharshi.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: March 25, 2015, 08:22:22 AM »
Mrs. Piggott returned from Madras for a further visit. She asked questions relating to diet regulation.

Devotee: What diet is prescribed for a sadhak?

Maharshi: Sattvic food in limited quantities.

Devotee: What is Sattvic food?

Maharshi: Bread, fruits,vegetables, milk etc.,

Devotee: Some people take fish in North India.May it be done?

No answer was made by the Maharshi.

Devotee: We Europeans are accustomed to a particular diet; change of diet affects health and weakens the mind . Is it not
necessary to keep up physical health?

Maharshi: Quite necessary.The weaker the body the stronger the mind grows.

Devotee: In the absence of our usual diet our health suffers and the mind loses strength.

Maharshi:  What do you mean by strength of mind?

Devotee:  The power to eliminate worldly attachments.

Maharshi: The quality of food influences the mind. The mind feeds on the food consumed.

Devotee: Really!  How can the Europeans adjust themselves to Sattvic food only?

Maharshi:(Pointing to Mr.Evans Wentz) You have been taking our food.  Do you feel uncomfortable on that account?

Mr.E.W: No.  Because I am accustomed to it.

Devotee:  What about those not accustomed to it?

Maharshi: Habit is only adjustment to the environment.  It is the mind that matters.The fact is that the mind has been
trained to think certain foods tasty and good.The food material is to be had both in vegetarian and non vegetarian diet
equally well.  But the mind desires  such food as it is accustomed to and considers it tasty.

Devotee: Are there restrictions for the realized man in a similar manner?

Maharshi:  No. He is steady and not influenced by the food he takes.

Devotee: Is it not killing life to prepare  meat diet?

Maharshi: Ahimsa stands foremost in the code of discipline for the yogis.

Devotee: Even plants have life.

Maharshi: Even the slabs you sit on!

Devotee: May we gradually get ourselves accustomed to vegetarian food?

Maharshi:  Yes.  That is the way.

Talks No.  22.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: March 25, 2015, 11:51:13 AM »
The truth of oneself alone is worthy of being scrutinized and known. Taking it as the target of one's attention, one should
keenly know it in the Heart. The  knowledge of oneself will be revealed only to the consciousness which is silent, clear
and free from activity of the agitated and suffering mind. Know that consciousness which always shines in the Heart
as the formless Self, 'I'. It is known by one's being still without thinking about anything as existent or non existent.

Sri A.R. Natarajan,former President of RMCL, Bangalore, in his book Sayings of Sri Ramana Maharshi.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: March 26, 2015, 08:11:55 AM »
Mr.Evans Wentz continued another day.  'May one have more than one spiritual master?'

Maharshi: Who is a Master?  He is the Self after all. According to the stages of the development of the mind the Self manifests
as the Master externally.  The famous ancient saint Avadhuta said that he had more than 24 Masters.  The Master is one from
whom one learns anything.  The Guru may be sometimes inanimate also, as in the case of Avadhuta. God, Guru and the Self
are identical. A spiritual minded man thinks that God is all pervading and takes God for his Guru. Later, God brings him in
contact with a personal Guru and the man recognizes him as all in all. Lastly the same man is made  by the Grace of the Master
to feel that his Self is the Reality and nothing else.Thus he finds that the Self is the Master.

Devotee: Does Sri Bhagavan initiate his disciples?

Maharshi kept silent.

Therefore one of the devotees took it upon himself to answer, saying, 'Maharshi does not see anyone as outside His Self.
So there are no disciples for Him. His Grace is all pervading and He communicates His Grace to any deserving individual
in silence.'

Devotee: How does book lore help Self Realization?

Answer: Only so far as to make one spiritually minded.

Devotee: How far does intellect help?

Answer:  Only so far as to make one sink the intellect in the ego, and the ego in the Self.

Talks 23.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: March 26, 2015, 11:22:46 AM »
Mrs. Piggott: Why do you take milk, but not eggs?

Maharshi:  The domesticated cows yield more milk than necessary for their calves and they find it a pleasure to be relieved of the
milk.

Devotee: But the hen cannot contain the eggs?

Maharshi:  But there are potential lives in them.

Devotee:  Thoughts cease suddenly, then 'I--I' rises up as suddenly and continues.  It is only in the feeling and not in the
intellect. Can it be right?

Maharshi:  It is certainly right.  Thoughts must cease and reason disappear for 'I--I' to rise up and be felt.  Feeling is the
prime factor and not reason.

Devotee:  Moreover it is not in the head but in the right side of the chest.

Maharshi: It ought to be so. Because the Heart is there.

Devotee: When I see outside it disappears.  What is to be done?

Maharshi: It must be held tight.

Devotee: If one is active with such remembrance, will the actions be always right?

Maharshi:  They ought to be.  However, such a person is not concerned with the right or wrong of his actions.  Such a person's
actions are God's and therefore they must be right.

Devotee:  Why then the restrictions of food given for such?

Maharshi:  Your present experience is due to the influence of the atmosphere you are in.  Can you have it outside this
atmosphere?  The experience is spasmodic.  Until it becomes permanent, practice is necessary.  Restrictions of food are
aids for such experience to be repeated.  After one gets established in truth, the restrictions drop away automatically.
Moreover, food influences the mind and it must be kept pure.

The lady told a disciple later, 'I feel the vibrations from Him more intensely and I am able to reach the 'I' center more readily
than before.'                       

Talks No.  24.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: March 26, 2015, 02:33:51 PM »
Sat Sanga will make the mind sink into the Heart.

If concentration is made with the brain, sensations of heat and headache must ensue.  Concentration  has to be made with
the Heart, which is cool and refreshing.

If you practice self inquiry you will reach the Heart which is the Self.

Go to the source direct and do not depend on borrowed resources.  The source is the Heart, the Self.

Mind:

What is the mind?  If one searches to find out, then there would be no separate entity as the mind.

The mind is only a bundle of thoughts.  They are dependent on the 'I' thought.  Know 'I'-thought to be mind.

There is no entity by name of mind.  Because of the emergence of thoughts, we surmise something from which they start.
That we term 'mind'. 

The mind turned inward is the Self. Turned outward it becomes the ego and all the world.  The mind does not exist apart
from the Self, i.e. it has no independent existence. The Self exists without the mind, never the mind without the Self.

Sri A.R.Natarajan, former President of RMCL, Bangalore, in his book Sayings of Sri Ramana Maharshi.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: March 27, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »
On a former occasion, B.V.Narasimha Swami,author of Self Realization asked: Who am I?  How is to be found?

Maharshi:  Ask yourself the question.The body(annamaya kosa) and its functions are not 'I'.  Going deeper,the mind
(manomaya kosa) and its functions are not 'I'. 

The next step takes on to the question, 'Where from do these thoughts arise?' The thoughts are spontaneous, superficial
or analytical.They operate in intellect. Then, who is aware of them?  The existence of thoughts,their clear conceptions and
their operations become evident to the individual. The analysis leads to the conclusion that the individuality of the person
is operative as the perceiver of the existence of thoughts and their sequence.  This individuality is the ego, or as people
say 'I'.  Vijnanamaya kosa (intellect) is only the sheath of 'I' and not the 'I' itself.

Inquiring further the question arise, 'Who is this 'I'?  Where from does it come?' I was not aware in sleep. Simultaneously
with its rise sleep changes to dream or wakefulness.  But I am not concerned with dream just now.Who am I now in the
wakeful state? If I originated from sleep,then the 'I' was covered up with ignorance. Such an I cannot be what the scriptures
say or the wise ones affirm.  'I' am beyond even sleep. 'I' must be now and here and what I was all along in sleep and
dreams also,without the qualities of such states.  'I' must be therefore unqualified substratum underlying these three states
(ananda maya kosa transcended).

'I' is in brief, beyond the five sheaths. Next,the residuum left over after discarding all that is non-self is the Self, Sat Chit Ananda.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.