Author Topic: sandhyA vandanam - Discussion  (Read 31942 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: sandhyA vandanam - Discussion
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,
       :) There is no dirt in Awareness :)
who said there is dirt in awareenss sir?

i am impelled to ask, do you consider yourself liberated?

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 06:54:24 PM »
:) there is no bondage or liberation. I am Awareness.

you are liberated!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 06:59:07 PM »
so are you and everyone here.
There being only awareness where is the question of bondage and for whom ?
just a projection.

Where is the question of "myself and everyone" for one who is oneself "pure awareness"?

:)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2012, 08:51:07 PM »
Just to update that the arghya pradAnam procedure has been updated, that it may not be overlooked.

Thank you

with prayers

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
sankalpA - Discussion
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2012, 11:41:31 AM »
4. sankalpA

sankalpa kriyA  means total commitment to do something (good). It is a mental resolve whereby you decide to do something in the name of  God. It is a making of a noble decision for meditation and in this case, is a firm resolve to commence the sandhyA kriyA. It means a deliberate effort is made (purushArtA) to maintain absolute self-control (minimally at least during the performance of sandhyA kriya) with one pointed concentration and focus, not allowing alien thoughts to take over us.

Since the nature of 5 senses are by default headed outwards, whereas the paramAtmA is within, a firm resolve is made herewith to bring or make the the outgoing senses head inwards, to look within, itself and engage in a worship of that effulgence that is within shining like the thousand Suns put together.

It is a resolve to not allow oneself to be disturbed at any cost. Just when we begin to perform this kriyA, somebody or the other will begin to talk to us, we will be obliged to respond back, this resolve is to abide within, and recognise that the response can wait till the conclusion of this kriyA. There will be some TV sound, coming and disturbing, this resolve is to bring within with effort the outgoing ears that aspire to gather what is heard, and so on. This is a resolve to remain in niShTA, not allowing oneself to be disturbed at any cost!

ममोपात्त​-समस्त​-दुरितक्षय-द्वारा-श्री-परमेश्वर​-प्रीत्यर्थं

प्रातः सन्ध्यामुपासिष्ये ॥ (morning)
माध्याह्निकं करिष्ये ॥ (noon)
सायं सन्ध्यामुपासिष्ये ॥ (evening)

mamOpAtta samasta durita kShayadvArA shrI paramEshvara prItyartham

prAtah sandhyAmupAsiShyE (morning)
mAdhyAhnikam kariShyE (noon)
sAyam sandhyAmupAsiShyE (evening)

shrI paramEshvara prItyartham - For the love of srI paramEshwarA
mamOpAtta samasta durita kShayadvArA - For the cleansing of (destruction of) all the inappropriate actions (known and unknown) done by myself.

From Ramana school of though, one may consider the outgoing mind as the "inappropriate actions" or the "sin". Because, it is only because of outgoing mind, one commits any inappropriate actions either knowingly or unknowingly. Therefore, it is also a resolve to go within, deep within, to commence the sandhyA kriyA, which has been discussed before, please follow the link for a refresher:
http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7208.msg32522#msg32522

sandhyA kriyA is verily Atma vicArA. Infact, it is all in the mind, one can make Atma vIcArA out of anything, only the recognition of the "sameness" is required.

prAtah sandhyAmupAsiShyE (morning) - I worship the morning sandhyA
mAdhyAhnikam kariShyE (noon) - I perform the noon ahnikam (ordained duty)
sAyam sandhyAmupAsiShyE (evening) - I worship the evening sandhyA

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 12:03:38 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »
5. mArjanam

We have already seen in the procedure thread itself the essence of this step. mArjanA means cleansing. It is a purificatory discipline, this is primarily for internal cleansing. When one is internally cleansed, it purifies even externally as well. Let us look into the meaning of each verse.

ओं श्री केशवाय नमः ॥

आपो॒ हि ष्ठा म॑यो॒ भुवः॒ ।
ता न ऊ॒र्जे द॑धातन ।
महे रणा॑य॒ चक्षसे ।
यो वः॑ शि॒वत॑मो॒ रसः ।
तस्य॑ भाजयते॒ह नः॑ ।
उ॒श॒तीरि॑व मा॒तरः॑ ।
तस्मा॒ अरं॑ गमाम वः ।

यस्यक्षया॑य॒ जिन्व॑थ ।

आपो॑ ज॒नय॑था च नः ।

ओं भूर्भुव॒स्सुवः॑ ।

Om shrI kEshavAya namah .

Apo hi ShTA mayO bhuvah .
tA na Urje dadhAtana .
mahe raNAya cakSasE .
yO vah shivatamO rasah .
tasya bhAjayatEha nah .
ushatIriva mAtarah .
tasmA aran gamAma vah .

yasyakShayAya jinvatha .

ApO janayathA ca nah .

Om bhUrbhuvassuvah .

Om shrI kEshavAya namah - ओं श्री केशवाय नमः ॥

Salutations to kEshavA

Apo hi ShTA mayO bhuvah - आपो॒ हि ष्ठा म॑यो॒ भुवः॒ ।

Apo: the Supreme God, in the form of water
hi ShTA: (Thou verily) art
mayO bhuvah: (cause for) movement of atmosphere (represents the intellect)

O' Water (the Supreme Truth, in the form of water), (Thou verily) art the (cause for) movement (in) atmosphere (intellect)

tA na Urje dadhAtana - ता न ऊ॒र्जे द॑धातन ।

tA - Thou (who art as above[verse])
na - (for) us
Urje - vigour, strength, happy, food, vitality, life
dadhAtana - grant us , bless us, grace us

(O' Water), Thou (who art as above[verse]), (please) grant us (bless us, grace us) vigor (strength, happy, food, vitality, life)

mahe raNAya cakSasE - महे रणा॑य॒ चक्षसे ।

mahe - Great (one)
raNAya = raNa+aya - be pleased, be satisfied with (our prayers)
cakSasE - (Thou art) the spiritual instructor, teacher, the spiritual eye, radiance

O' Great one, (Thou) please be pleased with (our prayers), (Thou art) the spiritual instructor, teacher, the spiritual eye, radiance

yO vah shivatamO rasah - यो वः॑ शि॒वत॑मो॒ रसः ।

yO - which,
vah - That, Thou, (respectfully addressing [that])
shivatamO - (Art) most prosperous, most ausupicious
rasah - Essence

which (as above[verse]) art Thou, the most ausupicious (prosperous) essence

tasya bhAjayatEha nah - तस्य॑ भाजयते॒ह नः॑ ।

tasya - who (there-of), which (there-of)
bhAjayatEha - cause one to partake, or assimilate, or enjoy,
nah - us

Who (as above[verse]) (is the sole inspiration, power) causes us to partake, assimilate

ushatIriva mAtarah - उ॒श॒तीरि॑व मा॒तरः॑ ।

ushatIriva - like a zealous
mAtarah - Mother

like a zealous mother (who feeds, takes care the babe)

tasmA aran gamAma vah - तस्मा॒ अरं॑ गमाम वः ।

tasmA - for that reason, therefore, hence
aram - serve, worship (with great fervor)
gamAma - come (to Thou), near (to thou), approach (to thou)
vah - That, Thou, (respectfully addressing [that])

Therefore (as above[verses]) (we) worship (serve) Thou (with great fervor and zeal) and approach (Thou)

yasyakShayAya jinvatha - यस्यक्षया॑य॒ जिन्व॑थ ।

yasya - endeavoured or to be killed
kShayAya - kShayA is that which decays
jinvatha - incite (that) help, impel

(Thou please be pleased and) impel (in us) that endeavour (to kill or destroy) that which causes decay.

ApO janayathA ca nah - आपो॑ ज॒नय॑था च नः ।

Apo - the Supreme God, in the form of water
janayathA - cause to be born, create, procure, beget
ca nah - (bless us as thus in) us

O' Water (the Supreme Truth, in the form of water), Who Art the cause for the birth (of akShayA - undecaying spirit) (bless us, as thus in) us.

Note: The usual translation offered in books is the blessings of conferring good spiritual children (and grand-children) and i have interpreted it as the birth of wisdom, birth of immortality!

O' Water (the Supreme Truth, who art in the form of water), (Thou verily) art the (cause for all) movements (in the) atmosphere (our intellect, mind) (please) grant us (bless us, grace us) vigor (strength, happy, food, vitality, life) O' Great one, (Thou) please be pleased with (our prayers!) (Thou art) the spiritual instructor, teacher, the spiritual eye, radiance, Thou verily art the most auspicious  (prosperous) essence and art the sole inspiration which (alone) causes us to partake, assimilate (the essence and) like a zealous mother (who feeds with her bosom, takes care of the babe!) Therefore (we) worship (serve) Thou (with great fervor and zeal and love) and (we) approach (Thou!) (Thou please be pleased and) impel (in us) that endeavour (to kill or destroy) that which causes decay. O' Water (the Supreme Truth, in the form of water), Who Art the cause for the birth (of akShayA - undecaying spirit) (bless us, as thus in) us.

पुनर्माजनम् - punarmArjanam

In the punarmArjanam, only the following two lines are additional, the rest are as given above.

द॒धि॒क्राव्ण्णो॑ अकार्षं जि॒ष्णोरश्व॑स्य वा॒जिनः॑ ।
सु॒र॒भि नो॒ मुखा॑कर॒त्प्रण॒ आयू ँ्॑ षि तारिषत् ॥

dadhikrAvNNO akarSham jiShNO rashvasya vAjinah .
surabhi nO mukhAkaratpraNa AyugumShitAriShat ..

dadhikrAvNNO - That which supports and is the substratum of everything (commonly it is understood as a deity who loves Cured, it could also mean that which is present in the curds as ghee, that essence tatva)
akarSham - I worship, meditate
jiShNO - (make) win
ashvasya - represents the Horse, (hayaghrIvA - viShNu avatAr, the horse represents knowledge)
vAjinah - swiftness and elegance (The process or technique of emulating That - [dadhikrAvNNO])
surabhi - (doing) Good
na - os (we)
mukhA - face (represents the 5 faces ie., the senses)
karat - make
praNa - life
AyuSh - duration of life
tAriShat - without any hindrance

May That Lord, who art the substratum and the sole supporter of everything, may that bring victory to us, who art the personification of knowledge, and who is very subtle and swift, we pray to Thou, may Thou please be pleased and make our senses do good, May our lives be without any hindrance.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:47:56 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
prAshanam - Discussion
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2012, 10:13:22 AM »
prAshanam

प्रातः Morning

सूर्यश्च मा मन्युश्च मन्युपतयश्च मन्यु॑कृते॒भ्यः । पापेभ्यो॑ रक्ष॒न्ताम् । यद्रात्र्या पाप॑मका॒र्षम् । मनसा वाचा॑ हस्ता॒भ्याम् । पद्भ्यामुदरे॑ण शि॒श्ना । रात्रि॒स्तद॑वलु॒म्पतु । यत्किञ्च॑ दुरि॒तं मयि॑ । इदमहंमाममृ॑तयो॒नौ । सूर्ये ज्योतिषि जुहो॑मि स्वा॒हा ॥

sUryashca mA manyushca manyupatayashca manyukRutEbhyah . pApEbhyO rakShantAm . yadrAtryA pApamakArSham . manasA vAcA hastAbhyAm . padbhyAmudarENa shishnA . rAtristadavalumpatu . yatkinca duritam mayi . idamaham mAmamRutayOnau . sUryE jyOtishi juhOmi svAhA ..

sUryashca - Sun (Effulgence of wisdom, Self)
mA - us (my)
manyushca - and passion, vigour, zeal, ardour (also - mind, anger, spirit of temper)
manyupatayashca - and the Master of passion (passion, vigour, zeal, ardour [also - mind, anger, spirit of temper])
manyukRutEbhyah - actions done out of passion (passion, vigour, zeal, ardour [also - mind, anger, spirit of temper])
pApEbhyO - Sins
rakShantAm - Protect
yad - That
rAtryA - Night
pApamamakArSham - Sins committed
manasA vAcA hastAbhyAm - (by) mind, speech and two hands
padbhyAm-udarENa-shishnA - (by) two feet, stomach and the sexual organ
rAtri - Night
tad - that
avalumpatu - may (finely be) removed
yatkinca - all that also
duritam mayi - bad (actions) of mine
idamaham - This or these, I
mAm - me
amRuta - nectarine
yOnau - Origin of life (Origin of Sins) Source, Place of birth, Origin, abode
sUryE-jyOtishi - Sun Supreme Light (Effulgence of wisdom, Self)
juhOmi - offer, worship, sacrifice, surrender, oblation, (to be eaten, to be consumed),
svAhA - May blessings rest on, May it be well done

O Sun (Effulgence of wisdom, Self), who art the the Master of passions (vigour, zeal, ardour [also - mind, anger, spirit of temper], everything), (may Thou please be pleased), to protect us (me) from various sinful actions done (committed) out of passion (vigour, zeal, ardour [also - mind, anger, spirit of temper]). Sins committed in the nights, sins committed (by) mind, speech and two hands, two feet, stomach and the sexual organ. May all these (sins) be finely removed (chamfered) along with all other bad actions of mine, be consumed (offered, worshiped, sacrificed, surrendered, oblation, to be eaten) in Thou, who art the Nectarine Source (of everything [including the origin of Sins], of life, creation, Place of birth, Origin, abode) and may Thy blessings rest on (May it be well done)

सायंकाले Evening

अग्निश्च मा मन्युश्च मन्युपतयश्च मन्यु॑कृते॒भ्यः। पापेभ्यो रक्षं॒न्ताम् । यदन्हा पाप॑मका॒र्षम् । मनसा वाचा॑ हस्ता॒भ्याम् । पद्भ्यामुदरे॑ण शि॒श्ना । अह॒स्तद॑वलु॒पतु । यत्किञ्च॑ दुति॒तं मयि॑ । इदमहं माममृ॑तयो॒नौ । सत्ये ज्योतिषि जुहो॑मि स्वा॒हा ॥

agnishca mA mAnyushca manyupatayashca manyukRutEbhyah . pApEbhyO rakShantAm . yadanhA pApamakArSham .
manasA vAcA hastAbhyAm . padbhyAmudarENa shishnA . ahastadavalumpatu . yatkinca duritam mayi . idamaham mAmamRutayOnau .
satyE jyOtishi juhOmi svAhA ..

Just small changes are there in the evening, instead of

सूर्यश्च मा मन्युश्च मन्युपतयश्च मन्यु॑कृते॒भ्यः ।
sUryashca mA manyushca manyupatayashca manyukRutEbhyah .

It is

अग्निश्च मा मन्युश्च मन्युपतयश्च मन्यु॑कृते॒भ्यः ।
agnishca mA mAnyushca manyupatayashca manyukRutEbhyah

and

instead of

सूर्ये ज्योतिषि जुहो॑मि स्वा॒हा ॥
sUryE jyOtishi juhOmi svAhA ..

it is

सत्ये ज्योतिषि जुहो॑मि स्वा॒हा ॥
satyE jyOtishi juhOmi svAhA ..

Instead of suryashca, as the Sun has set, that Effulgence continues in the same spirit as agni or fire. Similarly, at the end it is prayed as follows:

satye - the blaze of Eternal Truth, may Thy blessings rest on (May it be well done)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:13:05 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
prAshanam Noon - Discussion
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2012, 09:55:48 AM »
prAshanam

माधाह्ने - Noon

आपः॑ पुनन्तु पृथि॒वीं पृथि॒वी पू॒ता पु॑नातु॒ माम् ।
पु॒नन्तु॒ ब्रह्म॑ण॒स्पति॒र्ब्रह्म॑-पूता पु॑नातु॒ माम् ।
यदुच्छि॑ष्ट॒-मभो॑॑ज्यं॒ यद्वा॑ दुश्चरि॑तं॒ मम॒ ।
सर्वं॑ पुनन्तु॒ मामापो॑ऽसतां च॑ प्रति॒ग्रह॒ँ्स्वाहा॑॑ ।

Apah punantu pRuthivIm pRuthivI pUtA punAtu mAm .
punantu brahmaNaspatirbrahma-pUtA punAtu mAm .
yaducCiShta-mabhOjyam yadvA dushcaritam mama .
sarvam punantu mAmApOasatAm ca pratigrahag'svAhA .

Apah - Water (Supreme Truth)
punantu - May purify
pRuthivIm - the earth (represents the gross body)
pRuthivI - the earth (gross body)
pUtA - thus purified
punAtu - may purify
mAm - us (me)
punantu - May purify (again)
brahmaNaspatih - the Knower (of the Supreme Truth or the Master of the brahmajnyAna)
brahmam - the Supreme Truth
yad - Which, that
ucCiShtam - the remnant of food taken by another
abhOjyam - Uneatable
vA - or
dushcaritam - bad conduct, having to done those that ought not to be done
mama - (of) mine
sarvam - (from) All (these)
mAm - me (us)
Apa - Water
asatAm - (from) the degraded, bad people,
pratigraha - (as a result of such) connection, contact (with such bad people)
svAhA - May blessings rest on, May it be well done (oblation, I offer myself to Thy blaze pf Supreme Truth)

O' Water, who art the Supreme Truth, (May thou be pleased and) purify this gross body (of mine) may thus purified, purify the knower of brahman (Self within, covered by these dirt), the Supreme Truth. May Thou (please be pleased to), purify us from the consumption of all those that ought not be consumed (does not represents food alone!) as a result of having contact or connection with bad people (and things). May Thy blessings rest on, May it be well done (oblation, I offer myself to Thy blaze pf Supreme Truth)

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:58:29 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Update - Discussion
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2012, 10:55:14 AM »
I have updated the mArjanam step prAshanam evening step, and punarmArjanam step in the respective posts itself as they are almost already explained except a couple of lines which i have briefly covered.

Deva Tarpanam has been briefly covered in the procedure section itself, and does not require further discussion over it. So i would conclude the discussion here for the first part of sandhyA kriyA with one more post related to arghyA pradAnam. Next we will start looking at the pUrva bhAga, that is the second part of the sandhyA kriyA, the gAyatrI japa. Thank you

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
arghya pradAnam - Discussion
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2012, 10:56:17 AM »
Even with regard to arghya pradAnam, it has been dealt with enough information. I would only like to present once again this verse of Adi shankarA about arghya pradAnam. This verse explains almost the essence of arghya pradAnam very nicely.

अनादिकल्पविधृतमूलाज्ञानजलाञ्जलिम् ।
विसृजेदात्मलिङ्गस्य तदेवार्घ्यसमर्पणम् ॥१२॥

anAdikalpaviDhRutamUlAjnyAnajalAnnjalim .
visRujEdAtmalingasya tadEvArghyasamarpaNam ..12..

anAdi - beginningless,
kalpa - measure of time (in aeons),

samvRudDha - grown, accumulated,
mUlAnjnyAna - the original nescience,
jalAnjalim - waters offered by folded hands to the deity;
Atmalingasya - for the Supreme Self,
visRujet - to be offered, Casting off, to be given up, release, discard
tadEva - that indeed,
arghya-samarpaNam - (is worth to be) offered to (the Supreme truth, Self)

The beginning-less original nescience accumulated over the timeless (countless aeons of years, births - metaphorically referred to as water) is (truly) what has to be given up, with folded hands to/before that Supreme Spirit; is alone indeed, the (essence of) offering to the Supreme Truth, that is.

(nirguNa mAnasa pUjA, Adi shankarA)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2012, 08:27:41 AM »
Friends,

This prvachanam of AcArya of Sringeri is interesting, he talks about Sandhyavandam at 7th and 18th minute of the above talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ywDTCIN0eY&feature=youtu.be

I am currently out of town, hence i would be able to proceed with the procedure thread only when i am back to my place. Meantime, this anugraham of AcArya is blessing.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2012, 09:02:21 AM »
Just want to update that this thread will resume from monday, when i will be back home.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2012, 10:31:03 AM »
This is Yajur veda sandhya vandhana vidhi OR rig veda vidhi? Just wanted to know.

Sri Sanjay,

I am presenting Yajur Veda vidhi, if required, Rig variations can be provided.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2012, 10:44:34 AM »
Thanks. That is what I wanted - Yajur veda vidhi

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2012, 10:53:58 AM »
Sri Sanjay,

I will be fine tuning and updating past posts as well, it requires a lot of work :) some posts are still to be fine tuned. so keep tuned.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta