Author Topic: sandhyA vandanam - Discussion  (Read 31917 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
sandhyA vandanam - Discussion
« on: October 12, 2012, 11:00:27 AM »
Friends,

I am further motivated by listening to Sri Bharati Theertha Swamigal speach, yesterday, that one has to do this kriya and also make others also perform this act, if possible.

I am opening a thread that describes the procedure to perform sandhyAvandanam. Before I begin, there are few basic points to be noted. I will try to keep it very brief, only so as to enable perform the kriya. Any more doubts and questions can be discussed if need be.

Who should perform?

One who has been initiated into the gayatri mantra through the procedure of upanayanam (the sacred thread) is eligible to perform this kriya.

When is it to be performed?

This is performed 3 times in a day, early morning, around the Sun rise, the Noon and at the time of Sun Set.

Which vEda

Primarily, significant part of sandhyAvandanam is common, few mantras may change here and there, based on which which vEda shAkhA one belongs to. I am primarily going to present the yajur shAkhA here. if need be, upon request, i can also present the other shakhA procedure as well.

Thank you.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 09:10:00 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

ksksat27

• View Profile
Re: sandhyA vandanam
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »
Friends,

I am further motivated by listening to Sri Bharati Theertha Swamigal speach, yesterday, that one has to do this kriya and also make others also perform this act, if possible.

I am opening a thread that describes the procedure to perform sandhyAvandanam. Before I begin, there are few basic points to be noted. I will try to keep it very brief, only so as to enable perform the kriya. Any more doubts and questions can be discussed if need be.

Who should perform?

One who has been initiated into the gayatri mantra through the procedure of upanayanam (the sacred thread) is eligible to perform this kriya.

When is it to be performed?

This is performed 3 times in a day, early morning, around the Sun rise, the Noon and at the time of Sun Set.

Which vEda

Primarily, significant part of sandhyAvandanam is common, few mantras may change here and there, based on which which vEda shAkhA one belongs to. I am primarily going to present the yajur shAkhA here. if need be, upon request, i can also present the other shakhA procedure as well.

Thank you.

Before proceeding,  please clarify for the benefit of others (not referring to me in anyway)

what is the eligibility for a person to perform this act ?

If a man has associated with meat eaters,  has seen sacrifices of animals accidentally or purposefully,  a man who crossed the seas ,  a man who has tasted non vegeterian foods,  a man who has had illicit sex,  a man who has tasted wine ,  a man who is wearing leathe items,  a man who has gone to non vedic religious saints who condemned the vedas,  a man who has not done any of these papas but simply did not do sandhya vandhana after his upanaya ?

now what is the status of these people quoted in above paragraph?  have they become Brashtas forever or is there any payachitha they have to do before staring sandhya vandhanam?

what does shastras say and what is your own opinion?  please tell and elaborate both.

has any realized saints given any opinion for the position of Brashtas?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 12:28:03 PM by ksksat27 »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 01:13:47 PM »
Krishnan,

I am happy you are asking questions without any reservations, I am sure, the eternal Guru, will answer through me, as an instrument. I will strive to substantiate as much as possible through the words of Sages, i.e. the Shastras.

with prayers,

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 02:17:04 PM »
Dear Krishnan,

1. Sandhya Vandhanam has to be performed by all young boys for whom normally sacred thread ceremony should be
completed between age 5 and 7.

2.Seeing meat eaters, or seeing an aboitter will have no effect on him and it is not a sin.

3. When one crosses the seas there is something called praya-chittam (retribution) for that. One has to perform that
as soon as he returns from abroad.

4. Sandhyavandanam should be performed three times a day, with argyam, water oblations,  It is to be done first before sunrise,
the second at noon and the third before sunrise. For the second and third - there is no need for bath.

5.  There are again prayaschittam for occasional meat eating and illicit sex. If you see the end portion of mantras, you will
see this. About wine drinking I am not sure.

"I am seeking apology to Mother Gayatri for sins committed by my senses, my male organ...... "

6. In the event of a death at home, sandhyavandanam is not performed till the body is cremated.  Similarly, when you have to
go to see the bereaved, in another's house, you have to come back and take bath and do Sandhya Vandanam, if it is early
morning.

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: sandhyA vandanam - Discussion
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 10:13:51 AM »
Krishnan,

you had asked to clarify your doubts, i have and am finding several quotes of what various Sages have go to say over your doubts. But, i felt, this is secondary, primarily, it is important to learn the kriyA first, and as and when, at leisure, i will keep posting what the Sages and shAshtrA's have got to say, so keep tuned here. Right now, i feel, it is more important to begin the procedure, and i would like to put first focus on that and then the second focus on these questions.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 11:09:35 AM »
Sri Tushnim

in the below picture, the boys are seated in squatting posture, the hands must be within the thighs in performing the kriya. If this is difficult, one may sit ordinarily in sukhAsana.

Starting from left, the first boy, the third and the fifth boy seem to be sitting correctly.

I will mention about the procedure for arghya pradAnam, the timings in the other thread. We cannot perform arghya pradAnam, just like that, there is a procedure to first cleanse ourselves within and without, which we will go through in coming posts.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 04:41:47 PM »
Dear friends, who were eager for this thread, i am sorry, as i am discontinuing this thread (at least temporarily) as my heart doesn't seem to open up in continuing this thread with earnestness, as it is my perception that this is not conducive to the general "feel" in the forum. (please consider it as my weakness, which i need to over come) i do not want to post some thing with half heart. There are plenty of internet resources, one may easily dig out some nice articles which also explain the procedure well. sorry once again! I am sure, when i am ripe, my Guru will tap my head and re-kinder the same enthusiasm in continuing the thread.

with prayers,

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 05:48:58 PM »
Nagaraj/Friends,
Friend,please continue what you have began.Here is a story of one of The Great Disciples of Sri Ramakrishna,Swami RamakrishnAnanda(sasi Maharaj).Swami Vivekananda sent him to Madras (now Chennai)and he is the Founder of the Ramakrishna Mutt in Madras.An inspiring Story from the Life of this Great one:

Swami Ramakrishnananda was one of the foremost disciples of Sri Ramakrishna. He served the Great Master during the latter's terminal illness with such devotion and meticulousness that Swami Vivekananda decided that Sasi(Pre-monastic name) was the worthiest candidate to be named after their Master.

Ramakrishnananda’s life exemplified the teaching of the Gita, “You are entitled to work, but never to its fruits”.

One afternoon it was drizzling and the sky was overcast with clouds. A hackney carriage came in time to take the swami to his class. The Swami asked a brahmacharin to accompany him that day. The carriage arrived in George Town(Madras -1), where the swami used to hold one of his classes ...There was no one else in the room. The swami waited for about a quarter of an hour but no one turned up. He then opened his Upanishad and began to read and explain with all ardour and amiability. After an hour he stopped, closed his book and said to the brahmacharin, “Well, Let’s go”. The brahmacharin followed him to the carriage which was waiting. On the way he asked the swami, “ How is it that you gave the class for fully one hour though nobody turned up”. The swami replied , “I have not come to teach anybody. I only fulfill the vow I have taken”.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 06:00:33 PM »
Sri Ravi,

That was a bulldozer :) thank you. yes, i have to, i will

with prayers,

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 06:14:44 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

You have been coming in and going out of the Forum many times. Why do you get this despondency? Continue your work.
There are no responses because you are writing some theory about sandhya vandanam etc., Such topics will not evoke any
responses. People will read and understand to the extent possible and leave it then. For example, Ravi is writing about
Sri Ramakrishna. This is again a theory from The Gospel. One cannot expect responses for such stories. Only when the
controversial topics like - whether UG attained Self Realization or not, will evoke responses. That is the usual pattern.
Again tusnim's Sankara Bhashyam will not evoke responses. The reason is some would have already read these bhashyams
and it is  not new for them. Those who have not read them, would simply read it and try to understand and leave it that. 
The topics like Rumi's sayings, or Meera Bai's sayings and Nisargadatta's sayings are of still lower grade. Because many would
have read about these books.  This is my view.

Arunachala Siva.     

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 06:42:48 PM »
Sir,

I have not expected any responses for my posts, call it despondency, yes, it is painful to see (in general) that here, it is only either Ramana-way or Highway!

My going and coming back out of forum, is my personal choice I make, for my own upliftment, and i see Sri Bhagavan, absolutely quiet about it, and Sri Graham has always welcomed me back without any change in my presence, i do not see why my coming and going out should be a point of observation to others. People come and go, Life itself is like that, people come and go. As Bhagavan says, each has to attend for oneself, for the purpose for which we are here, people will come and go!

I have my doubts, yes, whether this platform is truly beneficial for me, hence, i see it for my betterment, if i have been going out or coming back. It truly throws questions to my conscience, whether the time i spend here, will help me nourish my spiritual evolution or only nurture ego in just trying explain endlessly where there is no purpose served, neither for the receiver nor the giver!

I think, it is my liberty to quit when i want and come back when i want! I have never shied away in coming back as I am, nor am I really worried what others would think about me, what is important is how am i helping myself to the betterment! That should not be a problem for anybody. This is my view!

with prayers,

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 06:57:52 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Then it is okay. What else can I say?

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 08:03:37 PM »
Subramanian,
"For example, Ravi is writing about
Sri Ramakrishna. This is again a theory from The Gospel. One cannot expect responses for such stories."
:)
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 08:27:31 PM »
Dear Ravi,

Yes. They are from the written document of M. For those who have not read Gospel in full like me, I can read. Others who
have read it will simply go through it in haste. What responses can be given, you tell me. Can I say what Sri Ramakrishna
has said in any context is wrong? I cannot.

I am also writing documented stories in David's blog. Again people who have read already will not read it in full.  People who
have not read it before, will read in detail. But there is no response from anyone, because nothing can be responded or value
added.

Arunachala Siva.   

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 09:08:37 PM »
Subramanian,
I have questioned the 'Theory' that you have talked about!If you have not read The Gospel,how you will know what it is!These are not Documented Stories but actual Talks that the Master gave and are full of Practical Hints.
I am not posting it here that others may respond but to serve two purposes.
1.I get to read it as I am posting,and typically I read it atleast 3 or 4 times after posting.
2.I have found a Few who never knew that such a wonderful Practical Guide exists,which covers all the essentials of Sadhana;and they get to know this and are benefitted.
Namaskar.