Author Topic: Question about Thoughts.  (Read 2631 times)

right2be

• View Profile
Question about Thoughts.
« on: October 07, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »
Hello Everybody,

Throughout the day i have thoughts which sometimes seem like i am not conscious of, they arise unconsciously without me needing to think them, until i realise and ask myself who is thinking these thoughts and so on. they rise and go, rise and go i do not intentionally take the initiative and consciously think them. I can sometimes watch these thoughts but sometimes i don't even realise they are repeating themselves until i become conscious that i am thinking unwanted thoughts and stop them. It is like reading a book while having a television on the otherside of the room that is on and i sometimes lose attention off the book i am reading without even knowing and when i realise i am watching tv, i turn my attention back to the book. The book being a metaphor for thoughts which i do have control over, an example is when i ask who am i, when i dwell upon this thought i am conscious of it and made the decision to think this.

My question is, those automatic thoughts which rise and go without me intentionally thinking them, are those i who is thinking them ? they sometimes don't seem like they are because they just rise automatically.
Where as when i ask myself who i am, i controlled the thoughts of every word "who""am""I" and thought them. Are unconscious thoughts that i do not even decide to think i who is thinking them just the same as thoughts which i do consciously decide to think ? Are they one and the same ?

This might seem like a very silly question but i really need some guidance to clear this up.

Thank you,

Namaskar.

ivac_d.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Question about Thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 05:17:39 PM »
"Self inquiry is to abide as "I AM", not to chase thoughts."

Dear Sri Tushnim,

Ji. Yes. You have very nicely explained Sri Bhagwa's
 Teaching of the Path of Atma-Vichara in a single line.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 05:36:03 PM »
Dear ivac_d,

My thinking is,Those are same thoughts. Only,of some You are aware,of others,You are not. We cannot be aware of every thought,coz they are many,constantly changing,it is a mind flow,thoughts flow. You only can be aware of them,and that is the point in the first place. To see that You are aware,and that You are not the thoughts. So You keep coming back on that One Who is aware of them.

You said,'they sometimes don't seem like they are because they just rise automatically.',and that is the whole point,they arise by themself and You are apart from them. You stay with that Watcher,Witness,Awareness,or Your own Being,sense and knowledge I Am.

This is only my own thinking,so best is to find what Bhagavan tells about selfinquiry and Self Abindance. You can find that on David Godman's site,or on Realisation.org where is clear explaned what is real selfenquiry and how to do it. Sure,You can find all that in Bhagavan books,but i gave You site coz i found there very good explanation. Here is the link:
http://www.realization.org/page/topics/self_inquiry.htm

Wish You the Very Best!

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 02:50:15 AM »
Dear Ivac_d,

I was thinking about your question,and i find that is not silly at all. You noticed something very fundamental,and that is that Who i am is also a thought. I think that says everything. It is not You who think the thoughts,they are there even if you dont think them,like You noticed. There are thoughts,but You are the One who is Aware of them,who see thinking process. Thoughts are not important,the silence betwean them is,if You are aware.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:58:38 AM by Jewell »

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »
Hello everybody,

Thank you for all the wonderful replies, they have really helped guide me in furthering my understanding.

Thankyou jewell, eranilkumasinha, asanam. Very much appreciated, thank you for that lovely link jewell, I will use it as a guide to make clear of future things I do not understand.

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 05:28:36 PM »
Dear asanam

I have read your reply post over and over, and would really like to extend a gracious thanks to you. I do not want to compare anything but this text you have written has helped me to understand things I have made to be complex into something that is a lot simpler in a way more than I have ever recieved. The examples were also very helpful in making things clear. Unfortunately I do not have a guru. Are the gurus you mentioned from Australia ? I currently live in Sydney Australia, it is quite difficult to find one which go by the description similar to that of your guru. Do you have any idea of gurus in Sydney Australia ? It would be most beneficial I would be able to find one in Australia of advaita Vedanta guidance especially if they respect Sri ramana.

Again I would like to reach out my hand in saying thank you very much.

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 07:40:17 PM »
thoughts all come from the same place ... the mind
some thoughts we say we like and some we say we don't like
this is because we believe we are the mind and can control thoughts by accepting them or rejecting them
this is a trick of the mind to say we are thinking some thoughts on purpose and some are coming on they're own
it is this very mind that says the thoughts are coming on they're own that thinks them in the first place
ha ha ha ... the mind is a funny thing
we are not the mind , yet the mind is not separate from who we really are
we are the awareness that the mind exists IN , the same awareness that everything exists IN
self inquiry is asking yourself who you really are  , but it's not just that .....
it's also TELLING THE TRUTH WHEN YOU ANSWER 
if you want to know about your thoughts , ask yourself ... then TELL THE TRUTH about them
the mind thinks the thoughts and is there when it does , so it knows the truth of them ... simply tell it
 :)

simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »
Dear Beloved Abstract,

No doubt that arise from the same source. But how does ALL THOUGHTS HELP US?

Arunachala Siva.

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 05:22:44 AM »
"how do thoughts help us ?"
who is "us" ? .... who we think we are is also a thought
who is it that needs help , really ?
this is where self inquiry comes in
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 11:50:03 AM »
Dear Beloved Abstract,

Yes.

Arunachala Siva.

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 03:07:35 AM »
Dear Tushnim. Asanam sir,

i will be listening to the files on the internet site that you have recommended, just before i do i have a question.
Is Bhagavad Gita the same as Bhagavath Gita ?

Thank you.

ivac_d

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 06:20:26 AM »
Also is Bhagavad Gita something that Sri Ramana Maharashi encourages ?

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 01:10:07 PM »
Dear Tushnim.Asanam,

Your the best. Thanks everybody else too your all the best.

Ivac_d

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 02:22:12 PM »
Dear ivac-d,

Sri Bhagavad Gita is spelled in English as I have given. There is another Purana called Srimad Bhagavatam. It is different.

Arunachala Siva.   

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 04:16:17 AM »
Dear all,

Is there a text of all the verses of the Bhagavad Gita. I will be able to learn these verses if i have some text to read along with the audio chants.

Also, thank you for clearing that up Subramanian.R.

ivac_d