Author Topic: Is Self inquiry same as MandukyaUpanishad’s mind dive into atman with bow of aum  (Read 1144 times)

meetaga

• View Profile
om namah bhagwate sri ramanaye

Is Self inquiry same as Mandukya Upanishad’s mind dive into atman with the bow of AUM?

In Mandukya Upanishad and talks 617, it has been mentioned
A= Jagrat state of Virat operates form eye area;
U = swapna state of hrianyagarbha function in neck;
M= deep sleep state of Ishwara function in heart cavity.

According to Mandukya Upanishad which says with bow of AUM, let mind as arrow dive into atman in cavity of heart. That is let waking ‘I’ withdraw and dive into deep sleep ‘I’ or pure being.

Thus is self enquiry [which says find out to whom the thought arise – it is ego- dive into source of ego] same as this AUM meditation?

meeta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear meetaga,

Welcome to the Forum. Yes. Sri Bhagavan's explanation in Talks 617, is somewhat similar to what Gaudapada says in his Karika.
Alan Jacobs also has also made a reference to this in his article - Diving into the Heart.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Tushnim,

Yes. That is why Sri Bhagavan had said: Om is nothing but 'I am'.

Arunachala Siva.   

meetaga

• View Profile
from what i could understand OM does not just indicate japa process, but diving from empirical I to deep sleep I.
 in reflections on  Reflections on Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi [TWRM] it is mentioned that many IN SELF INQUIRY start with empirical I and end with empirical I. i have personally seen that even after 20 mins the waking state I does not disappear.
the question is how to pull the A [ waking state i] to M shushpti I- am ness as effortlessly as it happens in sleep?