Author Topic: Eknath's Bhagavatha  (Read 5229 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Eknath's Bhagavatha
« on: October 06, 2012, 01:21:58 PM »
Dear Friends

I read in David Godman's book on Papaji ( Nothing Ever Happened ) that Papaji used to read Eknath's Bhagavatha and once in Haridwar he spent nearly a week reading it on the banks of the Ganges .

Can anyone share what is so special about Eknath's Bhagavatha ?

I have the Bhagavatha of Gita Press and also the one published by Ramana Ashram by S.S.Cohen but yet to read seriously both these texts .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Eknath's Bhagavatha
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 03:40:09 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

I have also heard about Ekanath Bhagavata. But I have not read it. This book is popular in North India.

Arunachala Siva.   

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:31:23 PM »

This is from an article on Eknath by Swami Sivananda

Ekanath wrote the Bhagavat, which holds the same place of respect in Maharashtra as Tulsidas’ Ramayan holds in Northern India. It is popularly known as Ekanath Bhagavatam and is found in every house in Maharashtra
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 10:37:48 PM »
Some intersting piece of information about Eknath from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eknath

Sant Eknath (1533–1599) was a prominent Marathi Saint, scholar and religious poet. In the development of Marathi literature, Sant Eknath is seen as a bridge between the towering predecessors Dnyaneshwar and Naamdev and the equally noble successors Tukaram and Ramdas.

Eknath was born sometime around 1530 AD in an illustrious Brahmin family of Pratisthan (Paithan today).

Almost all of Eknath's writings were in verse form in Marathi. Eknath wrote a scholarly and lucid commentary, Eknathi Bhagawat, on the Eleventh Canto of the Sanscrit sacred text, the Bhagavata Purana.

Eknath’s teachings may be summarized as "Vichar, Uchchar and Achar" i.e., purity in thought, speech and action. His works, verses and preachings kindled hope among the people at a time when they needed it most.Keeping aside Sanskrit" as the medium he adopted to write and speak in simple Marathi. His teachings were in form of "Pravachan" and "Keertan" in simple Marathi language that attracted the masses. His son Haripant did not like the change , however Eknath did not give up his mission to teach the common man about the purity in life at the down most levels.

Eknath embraced "jalsamadhi" (water samadhi) in the sacred Godavari on Krishna Shasthi day of Phalguna in the year 1599AD.