Author Topic: Bhagwan and Tirupugazh/ ArunaGiri Nathar  (Read 5691 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Bhagwan and Tirupugazh/ ArunaGiri Nathar
« on: October 06, 2012, 01:16:47 PM »
Dear Friends

It is well known that Arunagiri Nathar got his enlightenment at Arunachaleshwara Temple in Thriuvanamalai with Lord Subramanya giving him the Upadesa and Darshan after which he started composing many beautiful songs on Lord Subramanya .
Except Kandhar Anubuthi ,I am not aware of any songs in Thirupuggazh .

The following are my questions :
1) Did Arunagiri Nathar sing any song in praise of Aruncahala ( either deity or hill ) apart from Lord Subramanya  ?
2) What was Bhagwan's opinion of Thirupugazh / Arunagiri Nathar ? Did he ask people to read Thirupugazh ?
3) Any useful details regarding Thirupugazh i.e its basic contents , philosophy , etc
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagwan and Tirupugazh/ ArunaGiri Nathar
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 03:55:36 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

Arunagiri Natha went to several temples and composed poems on Muruga. Tiruvannamalai is one of the many places. There he
sings about Kambathu Ilaiyanaar at the entrance of Northern towers. He mentions about Arunachala in all Tiruvannamalai songs
but not as prayer to the Hill but as a passing reference. Tirupugazh is an important work for all South Indian Hindus. There, the
saint for the first time in history speaks about the unification of Vishnu and Siva. In almost all songs, he says, Muruga is Vishnu's
nephew and Siva's son.

Sri Bhagavan has mentioned one or two songs of Tirupugazh in His conversations. He recommended to one parents to make
her daughter sing NeelangoL megathin mayil meethil..... for her early marriage. The marriage took place swiftly when that girl
started chanting this song!  Devaraja Mudaliar in his book You are My Mother and You are My Father, mentions one or more songs of
Tiruppugazh as quoted by Sri Bhagavan.

These are-

1. Kumara gurupara GuNadhara nichi sara.....

2. Adhala sedanArAda akila meru meethAda abhina Kali thAnAda avaLaodan......

3. NeelangoL megathin mayil meethe......

Vallimalai Swamigal while visiting in Pazhani, found Pazhani Muruga as Sri Bhagavan! He rushed to Tiruvannamalai to have
darshan of Sri Bhagavan and spent some times with Him.  He found Sri Bhagavan as son of Siva - Jnana Skanda.

Arunagiri Natha apart from 1350 songs of Tiruppugazh has written:

1. Kandhar Alankaram.

2. Kandhar Anubhuti.

3, Kandhar Andati.

4. Tiru Vahuppu.

5, Mayil Viruttham.

6. Seval Virutham

7, Vel Virutham.     

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 05:22:31 PM »

Subramaniam Sir

Thanks for your timely inputs . You mention below :
. He mentions about Arunachala in all Tiruvannamalai songs
but not as prayer to the Hill but as a passing reference.

Does that mean Aruagiri Nathar could never see the importance of Arunachala Hill like other Saivite Saints saw in the Hill  ?

Also u mention below that Bhagwan recommended 2 songs for a devotee for her daughters early marriage .
Sri Bhagavan has mentioned one or two songs of Tirupugazh in His conversations. He recommended to one parents to make
her daughter sing NeelangoL megathin mayil meethil..... for her early marriage.
Does it mean that it is like a Mantra Sastra ?

Is Thirupuggazh ,a Bhakti Literature , An Advaitic one ,a Mantra Shastraor a Combination of all these ?

I have with me one book on Kandar Anubhuthi by N.V.Karthikeyan ,a disciple of Swami Sivananda and published by Divine Life Society Press , Rishikesh and he has given an Esoteric significance of this work . He says that if the entire works of Sanit Arunagiri Nathar are considered as Arunagiri Veda then Kandar Anubhuti would form the Anubhuti Upnaishad and the 51 verses of the Kandar Anubhuti are like 51 Upanishadic Mantras - so concise , so pithy and so brevity filled ,with many secret cluses to higher meditation and experience .

BTW Today i.e Sat 6 October 2012 being Shasti Tithi ,I am happy to have opened this topic on Kandar Anubhti / Saint ArunaGiri Nathar . Pranams to Lord Subramanya . Pranams to Bhagwan Ramana who was Lord Subramanya in Human form .
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:26:14 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 06:16:40 PM »
Dear Atmavichar,

Srii Arunagiri Natha must have definitely considered the Hill as Siva. However, his accent was on praise of Muruga, perhaps, he
did not mention it specifically.

Yes. It is a mantra Sastra. Though Sri Bhagavan did not mention this, Seshadri Swamigal said to one devotee: Tiruppugazh is
your mantra. Please chant to get liberation. 

Tiruppugazh is an advaitic text. Unlike Tirumurais, which were Saivite texts.
Tiruppugazh is also a tantra text. All tantra sastra, yoga sastra details are available there.

It is also said to be the cure of diseases. One can keep a thread on the book and open a page and and if one chants
that song, diseases are said to be cured, of course, with medicines.

Bhakti, Yoga, Karma and Jnana are all there in Tiruppugazh.

Kandar Anubhuti is the last group of 51 verses. It speaks about Advaita. Here Arunagiri Natha says: 'Summa Iru sol aRa
enRalume, amma poruL onRum aRinthilane....You told me; Be still. Enough of all these songs. Then I understood that being
still is way to liberation.

Guruji Raghavan says: Even if does not read all the songs, Kandar Anubhuti will alone give moksha.

Guruji is responsible for spreading Tiruppugah among the masses. He started with 10 students in Delhi. Later after
retirement came to Chennai. Today there are 50000 men and women read Tiruppugazh  all over India in weekly classes.
My wife goes to one such class in Bangalore.

Tirupugazh has been transliterated in Kannada, Telugu and other languages!

There is one website called www. Kaumaram.com. Here all the 1350 songs, Tiruvahappu, Mayil Virutham, Seval Virutham and Vel
Virutham are available with meanings. The website has been designed by one Gopala Sundaram, a Vaishnavite!

Tiruppugazh groups are there in Singapore, Sri Lanka etc.,

Arunachala Siva.       
Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 06:24:24 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

Saint Arunagiri Natha says in Kandhar Anubhti:

Yan Ahiya ennai vizhungi veRum
ThAnai ninRathu thaRparame....

When I is gone, you remained as only, one and only ThAn, Self - O Self!

Arunachala Siva. 

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »
Guruji Raghavan says: Even if does not read all the songs, Kandar Anubhuti will alone give moksha.

Subramaniam Sir

Thanks for your prompt and detailed reply . The above quote of Guruji Raghavan has really inspired me .Actually I am right now sitting to chant Kandar Anubhuti after a long break and your quote was timely and has re-inspired me to chant this Divine work .We must thank our great Sages for compressing all their Divine works in one single hymn for normal people like us to derive the benefit of singing all their works .
I am extremely grateful to Saint Arunagiri Nathar for compressing the essence of all his works in Kandhar Anubhuti .
Thanks once again for reminding Guruji Raghavan's words regarding KAndhar Anubhuti .
My Prostrations to Saint Arunagiri Natha .
Om Peace .

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 06:45:49 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

Guruji Raghavan a Vaishnavite while he was in Delhi suffered from severe stomach pain and no allopathic doctors
could find out the cause. This was about 50 years back. Then one Swamiji came and told him: Go to Tiruchendur and
have darshan of Muruga and after getting cured, keep it as a part time work to read Tirupugaazh and after understanding
each song, teach to others. Let this be your mission.

Raghavan was cured. And he did accordingly.

Arunachala Siva.