Author Topic: Ramana Maharshi and Mahatma Gandhi  (Read 9508 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Maharshi and Mahatma Gandhi
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »
Sanjay garu, yes, very true, vanda velaya par, absolutely!

you were asking about tears of Bhagavan at the instance of GandhiJi's death, i can share my feelings, tears may have flowed at the loss the people experience, of such a Mahatma who was a light to millions. His own place was so similar to that of Mahatma, where so many simpletons come looking for him, for solace, for instance, Cow Lakshmi used to come and kiss him, when she was in some agony.

Its empathy. its natural for great souls, you cry with those who are in pain, you laugh and be happy with those who are in joyous mood. These great souls are verily like mirror, they reflect exactly what is before them. The nation was engulfed with heavy heart, Dukham, of loss of a great Soul, who was not just a freedom fighter, but had by then taught people, Karuna, Ahimsa, Dharma. He became the nation's conscience keeper. He had lit so many lamps, and that, when it has left, causes great heaviness within the heart.

I don't know, how many of you feel as i do. I still avoid looking at the Samadhi picture of Bhagavan.

Entire humanity resides in such a Souls heart. it verily reflects that.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »
Nagaraj,
You are indeed blessed.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 12:08:05 PM »
Sri Ravi, you had either posted this article here or in David Godman's blog in the past. This article is about Ramanatha Brahmachari, whom Sri Bhagavan acknowledged as Self Realized. No other being did Bhagavan acknowledge as Self Realized excepting Cow Lakshmi, Mother Azhagammal, and maybe a couple of animals. Why i remembered is that, these great souls, did not even bother or care for realization, and they themselves do not know that they are Self Realized, and continued to be who they were, in such humility, which shatters our egos.

Another devotee who really blows me out completely is the humility of Muruganar, I have noticed Bhagavan used to simply pull his leg. tease him quite often only to enjoy his humility. he used to deliberately initiate a conversation with him, when he used to complete prostrate, Muruganar used to forget everything and look above as he was flat, and respond to Bhagavan, and forget even that he has to get up. They used to call him Lizard Devotee.

Bhagavan once said, ―I am afraid only of two people—one is Ramanatha Brahmachari and the other is Mudaliar Paati. He said this because these two people were ascetics who served Bhagavan with utterly selfless devotion.

Ramanatha Brahmachari was a student studying the Vedas in the Vedapatashala (school of the Vedas) in town. He met Bhagavan one day and his whole being was brought into silence. His Mind and Heart opened up to Bhagavan, so he decided to be with him for as long as possible. Though the Pataskala provided free food and lodging to its students, young Ramanatha preferred to stay with Bhagavan. He begged for food on the streets and took that food to Bhagavan in Virupaksha cave. Whatever Bhagavan shared with him, he ate willingly. Such was the beauty and surrender of this ascetic.

He served Bhagavan‘s Mother because he was a Brahmin boy, and Bhagavan‘s Mother was still following her orthodox ways. Ramanatha would help wash her vessels as well as her clothes, and she would shout his name, ―Ramanatha, Ramanatha, for every errand. Hearing her, Bhagavan would humorously remark, ―The japa of my Mother has started again!

One day, Bhagavan told Ramanatha that he had succeeded in realizing the Self. Ramanatha could not believe it. He wanted confirmation from Bhagavan again and again. Bhagavan reassured him many times, ―Yes Ramanatha, you have realized the Self! But Ramanatha was still incredulous. Bhagavan got up and rapped him on his head with his knuckles and repeated, ―Yes Ramanatha, you are realized. This simple devotee went into ecstasy and ran out of the room, telling everyone he met, ―This is the place where Bhagavan knuckled me! He did not care that he had attained self-realization. Bhagavan‘s knuckling him was greater than self-realization for him!

This innocent disciple was serving other devotees, too. When a man arrived at the Ashram with a calf, which Bhagavan named Lakshmi, there was nobody to look after her. With panthers and tigers lurking around, Bhagavan said, ―There is nobody to look after Lakshmi; else she could have been kept here. Then Ramanatha, who was only four-and-a-half feet in height, said, ―Bhagavan, I will look after Lakshmi. This was the beginning of the Ramanashram goshala.

All the visiting devotees would come in late at night, as the train arrived at eight-thirty. In Ramanashram, after dinner at seven, most everyone would go to sleep by seven-thirty. Bhagavan wanted the visitors to be attended to. Nobody offered to look after them. Ramanatha said, ―Bhagavan, I will look after them. Every night he would stay awake attending to the visitors. The next day, Bhagavan would beam him a big smile and affectionately say, Oh, so you looked.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 12:52:04 PM »
Krishna,
"I dont think he is a jnani"
our thinking whether he is jnAni or not is immaterial.Is there any rule that a politician cannot be a jnAni?
I saw a similiar comment by you in Mother Theresea 's thread;hence felt like responding here.
I am reminded of Sri Bhagavan saying to someone 'Do you want me to hang a board on my neck that says:'Ramana Maharshi'?!!!
papAji used to speak gAndhiji as a Self-Realized mahAtma.Truly these things do not matter,for in truth Realization is another big 'idea' only!
Namaskar.

Bhagavan Ramana shed tears for someone means  that person is very very highly elated
and noble soul.

Not necessarily he be a jnani.

The only problem I see is ,  we tend to pull the noble souls from other fields and social service
like Mother Therasa ,  Gandhiji into the realm of 'self realized jnanis'.

We compare them with Ramana Maharishee and other self realized sages.  That is what I am not convinced with.

All I mean is,  all this labelling is not really needed.

Those noble souls were having many sankalpas,  they were having many activities, not mere actions but deliberate aims ,many movements,  many struggles etc.

A jnani simply abides in peace,  whole universe is his Nation.

I remember having read somewhere,  when some freedom fighters comaplined of Britishers to Sarada Devi,
the straight reply was that she considers all as her Children and for her Britishers make no difference.  She refused to pray against anybody.

We are sadhakas,  we have many doubts,  we refer to books from Bhagavan ,  Thakur and many other saints.  Because they have transcended all these material affairs, politics etc.  They abide in peace , having no deliberate objectives.  Even if all states are partitioned,  they are not affected.

Not only that ,  we pray in Saint's samadhi when we have fear and material problems.  We worship them,  they have given many teachings for our sadhana.

I am not sure,  if anybody worship Gandhiji in that sense.   

The point we should not miss is,  spiritualism is totally different, karma marga is a path,  but then
this karma marga should be without any motive of result.

Seeing the life history of Gandhiji  I dont think his freedom movement was spontaneous without looking
for any result.

In this Kali Yuga,   a king becoming a jnani is indeed near to impossible.  A king must renounce throne in this time era to attain realization. 

Having said all this,  if Papaji has explicitly told that Gandhiji is a jnani ,  then it must be true.  Without any of the abvoe coming into picture.  I dont know ,  but if he has said,  it must be true.

Anycase Gandhiji or Mother Theresa does not require my certificate to become jnanis.

But all I want to convey is, today we have picked up Father of the Nation for jnanaitvam,  tommorrow it will be someone from poetry or musician field.

And may be we will extend it to sports also,  someone achieved very high on sports so he be a jnani.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 02:02:44 PM »
I would like learn, can somebody help me identify a Jnani? Can somebody be able to tell me the nature of a Jnani? Who is Ajnani, and who is a Jnani?

Not me definitely  :)
There was a time I was doing all these investigations but later dropped it .  Let us study the teachings properly and focus on our sadhana and leave the rest to Ishwara to guide us to the next stages . We must consider ourselves blessed enough to have access to all these wonderful teachings and mechanism for communicating with each other and share our spiritual thoughts .
So let us consider Internet as the Jnani and make best use of this Jnani :)
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 02:14:19 PM »
A Jnani can be known only other Jnani, Not by investigation.

Arunachala Siva.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 02:30:39 PM »
I always remember the meeting of two jnanis - Narayana Guru Swami and Sri Bhagawan. Both spent hours together, but one was sitting below a mango tree outside the room where Bhagawan was sitting and Bhagawan was inside. They spoke only one sentence each other. Bhagawan at lunch time asked in Malayalam - "Oonu kazhikkam?" (Can we have meals?) and Guru replied in Tamil : "Prasadam Sappidalame?" (yes - we can eat prasadam). And Guru swami took a piece of paper from below that mango tree and wrote the beautiful Nirvruti Panchaka in sanskrit. And Nirvruti Panchaka is a treat in itself

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 02:44:21 PM »
Dear Sanjay,

Yes. It has been beautifully described by Kunju Swami in his reminiscences.  Here Both are Jnanis.

Arunachala Siva. 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 02:48:54 PM »
Sanjay garu, yes, that was a beautiful meeting. I felt, it would be nice of us to address them as "Guru" instead of say "Jnani" coz, i felt, to address somebody as "Jnani" is not in our hands. Ever since the Vedas came over, in the glorious Guru Sishya Parampara, they are only addressed as Guru, Guru Prabhu, Gurugal, Periyaval, and like thats. that keeps us meek and humble. I personally feel, i am nobody, to substantiate who is a jnani and who is an ajnani, who is realised and who is unrealised. All that matters is Guru, and Guru Tatva. Where is He not? I strive to see Guru Tatva in Sportsmen, poets, enemies as well. each time, i come across some body, The Guru reveals new light. It is all in our attitude. As Sadhakas, we should keep ourselves out of any discussions, as to who is realised and who is not realised. how does it matter to us? just personal musings, others need not be compelled to imbibe the same spirit. just letting out my musings.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 02:50:40 PM »
I agree 100% with what you wrote above Nagaraj garu. Nothing more to add...
Salutations to Bhagawan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 02:59:57 PM »
Krishna(KSK)
All comparisons are on account of Ignorance.To the earnest seeker,even a Beggar asking for food is God in human form.Why look for a JnAni?(There are no JnAnis-Only JnAna-Sri Bhagavan)A seeker should learn to see God in everyone and everything.This comes about by a shift in our attitude first.
kAnchi mahAswAmi was asked about the Title 'Jagat Guru'.MahAswAmi disarmingly replied 'It is because I consider the World as Guru,that I am called Jagat Guru'!What to speak of nonentities like us.
Namaskar.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 04:04:28 PM »
Krishna(KSK)
All comparisons are on account of Ignorance.To the earnest seeker,even a Beggar asking for food is God in human form.Why look for a JnAni?(There are no JnAnis-Only JnAna-Sri Bhagavan)A seeker should learn to see God in everyone and everything.This comes about by a shift in our attitude first.
kAnchi mahAswAmi was asked about the Title 'Jagat Guru'.MahAswAmi disarmingly replied 'It is because I consider the World as Guru,that I am called Jagat Guru'!What to speak of nonentities like us.
Namaskar.

Nice Ravi.

Maha Periava is very humble.   

And that applies people like me have to learn this humility in each and everything.

I am holier than you feeling for a sadhaka towards society hampers his own progress.

nobody

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »
Another meeting of Jnaanis was when Sri Ramakrishna visited Trailinga Swami in Kashi. Ramakrishna himself said, after the meeting, "Trailinga Swami's state is that of a true Paramahamsa".