Author Topic: Ramana Maharshi and Mahatma Gandhi  (Read 9397 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Ramana Maharshi and Mahatma Gandhi
« on: October 03, 2012, 07:02:27 AM »
Ramana Maharshi and Mahatma Gandhi

Saw this piece in Ramana Ashram Face Book Updates on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti on 2 Oct 2012  and wanted to share with all of you .

Courtesy Karthik Venkatsubramanian On the night of January 30th, the news of Mahatma Gandhi’s death became known everywhere. I heard the news at home only, because women cannot be in the Ashram in the nights. I went at 7-30 next morning. A prayer was being broadcast over the radio. The news of the death was in the newspapers, and Bhagavan reading it and hearing the prayer,said, “This is the prayer of people who prayed like that throughout his life.” The song “Vaishnava Janato” was broadcast over the radio and Bhagavan listened to it sadly. At 9-45, Bhagavan was about to go out when a newspaper reporter came and requested him to give his views on the tragedy so that they might be published.Bhagavan, his voice choked with emotion, said, “For the Mahatma’s death in this tragic manner, every person’s heart is mourning. What is there in particular that I could say? Who is there who is not grieved? If I say anything, you will publish it and then, one after another, people will come and ask me. What is the good of it?” So saying, Bhagavan sent the reporter away and went for his walk. On his return, “Vaishnava Janato” was again being broadcast and tears fell from Bhagavan’s eyes.At 4-30 that afternoon, all the ladies began to sing “Raghupati Raghava Rajaram”.With tears in his eyes Bhagavan signed to us to continue. At 5 o’clock the conch shell blew and in view of the Mahatma’s death a special arati (waving of lights) was offered in the Mother’s temple. When the sacred ash and vermilion powder were brought,Bhagavan took them with great reverence.
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Maharshi and Mahatma Gandhi
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:11:26 AM »
Krishna(Atmavichar)
Wonderful post on Gandhiji and Bhagavan.There is wonderful post on the mahAtma by David in his Blog recounting poonjAji's reminiscence of Gandhiji.
I will post it here.Meantime,I will post what you have done here over there!Sometimes it is deeply fulfilling to be just a Postman!
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 09:13:18 AM »
Friends,
Here is the post by David Godman in the recent 'Open Thread':
Shrini asked for stories about Gandhi since today is his birthday. Here is one that Papaji told me. It was published in Nothing Ever Happened, volume two pages 297-99.

At the time I [Papaji] was visiting Gandhi [in Chennai in the middle of 1947] there was only a small group around him. Each evening he would conduct a communal chanting of the name of Ram. I went regularly and became an unofficial attendant. Because he was quite old and frail, I would help him to and from the platform, and if there were any announcements to be made, I would make them at the end of the meeting.

On one of these nightly meetings some new person went up to Gandhi to prostrate to him. As he was getting up to leave, he took one of Gandhi’s chappals and ran off with it. I wanted to run after him and catch him, but Gandhi stopped me by saying, ‘No, no, one is enough’.

At the end of the meeting I made an announcement, asking the person who had stolen the chappal to return it. I added, ‘If the person doesn’t bring it back, Gandhiji will probably walk around with only one chappal’. My appeal had no result, for the chappal never came back.

I used to talk to him privately as well, but during our conversations he would never look at me eye to eye. He would always be looking down, usually at the takli on which he was spinning thread.

Once he told me as he was spinning a thread, ‘I got this idea that everyone should spin his own thread many years ago when I was travelling in Punjab. I saw all the Punjabi women spinning in their spare time and I thought, “This is a good idea. Everyone in India could profitably use their spare time in this way.” So I started to encourage people to spin in their spare time everywhere else in India.’

He was a great saint. I could see that just by looking at his body. I didn’t need to look into his eyes. He had the most sattvic body I had ever seen. It was copper coloured and at a subtle level it was glowing with the light of Brahman. The only body that I have seen that was as beautiful as his was the Maharshi’s. Both of their bodies used to shine.

I was once sitting with Gandhi when I heard the sound of ‘Ram, Ram’ coming from him. His lips were not moving, so I looked to see where the sound was coming from. As I focused on the source of the sound, I realised that it was emanating from his body. The sound was coming out of the pores of his skin. He didn’t need to repeat the name any more. It was going on continuously inside him and flowing outwards through his skin.

There are several stages of japa, and this is a very advanced stage. First the japa is repeated with the voice. Then it goes on in the mind. Then, thirdly, it is synchronized with the breath. When this goes on effortlessly and becomes spontaneous and automatic, the name repeats itself all the time, even during sleeping and dreaming, because the breath and the name have become one. Without conscious effort the name is repeated with each incoming and outgoing breath.

Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:15:41 AM »
Krishna(Atmavichar)
Wonderful post on Gandhiji and Bhagavan.There is wonderful post on the mahAtma by David in his Blog recounting poonjAji's reminiscence of Gandhiji.
I will post it here.Meantime,I will post what you have done here over there!Sometimes it is deeply fulfilling to be just a Postman!
Namaskar.

Thanks Ravi

I posted about Bhagwan Ramana and Gandhi to show how much regard Bhagwan had of Gandhi .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 09:21:35 AM »
Krishna(Atmavichar)
Yes,we know the meaning of 'thYga' in na karmana na dhanena' when we think of mahAtma gAndhiji.
Namaskar

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 09:43:57 AM »
Wonderful stories, thank you, every sadhaka should read Mahatma's "Experiments with truth" what one unearth's at the end of it is that one is blessed with "Vinaya" humility. it flashes within, can one be so humble, especially in his environment? ie. where dirty politics reign, ego clashes, ideology clashes. It may be relatively easy to remain humble in Ashrams and temples, churches, and so on, where humility is celebrated.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »
So true. However, I still cannot understand with my little brain the tears and emotions by jnanis. Even Gandhi cried whole night of freedom when partition happened. If everything is as per the designs of Maya and Supreme Self, why cry and express emotions. I also cannot understand some people telling me - they just show to the world they are as much like any other person. I dont think they "show off" like that too. So what is the reason behind the great jnanis emotional expressions? Always curious to know this - never got a satisfactory answer for my brain - poor brain...
Salutations to Bhagawan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 10:26:27 AM »
sanjaya,
The JnAni is also a human being only.The only difference between him and ourselves is that he gets over whatever he feels immediately.He fully lives those 'moments' whereas we tend to store it and and it becomes a vasana and weighs us down.
Freedom also includes the freedom to be a humanbeing!
Namaskar.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 10:26:42 AM »
So true. However, I still cannot understand with my little brain the tears and emotions by jnanis. Even Gandhi cried whole night of freedom when partition happened. If everything is as per the designs of Maya and Supreme Self, why cry and express emotions. I also cannot understand some people telling me - they just show to the world they are as much like any other person. I dont think they "show off" like that too. So what is the reason behind the great jnanis emotional expressions? Always curious to know this - never got a satisfactory answer for my brain - poor brain...

Dear Sanjaya Ganesh

Gandhiji is a freedom fighter,  politician,  man of compassiona and social service.  I dont think he is a jnani.

So the example you chose to interpret a jnani's emotions is a doubtful one.

Father of Nation was focussed only on socio-political -economical issues and freedom struggles.

Such people suddenly do some bhajans or some Integration Of Religion related songs -  but those things cannot make one realize the self.

If you would have chosen anyother saint or spiritual mystic or yogi,  well ,  then I even wont know why there emotions are vented out,  but with Gandhiji it is quite clear --  he was only focussed on all India Paksitan stuff but not on Atma Vichara.

Simply because a person is very great in material fields,  society jump to brand and label them jnanis but Truth is that they are not. 

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »
Krishna

I was referring to the original post which says Sri Bhagawan cried.

Gandhiji is a freedom fighter,  politician,  man of compassiona and social service.  I dont think he is a jnani.

How can anyone judge whether another person is Jnani or not? Only that person knows. Is there any "symptom" that you express after you become jnani? If so, all jnanis would be prototypes of same model. They are not. Swami Vivekananda travelled all over and did karma till last moment. Bhagawan did not. So can I say one is jnani and one is not?

Anyways, my reference was to Bhagawan crying at Gandhi death.

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »
Krishna,
"I dont think he is a jnani"
our thinking whether he is jnAni or not is immaterial.Is there any rule that a politician cannot be a jnAni?
I saw a similiar comment by you in Mother Theresea 's thread;hence felt like responding here.
I am reminded of Sri Bhagavan saying to someone 'Do you want me to hang a board on my neck that says:'Ramana Maharshi'?!!!
papAji used to speak gAndhiji as a Self-Realized mahAtma.Truly these things do not matter,for in truth Realization is another big 'idea' only!
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 10:41:20 AM »
I would like learn, can somebody help me identify a Jnani? Can somebody be able to tell me the nature of a Jnani? Who is Ajnani, and who is a Jnani?

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 11:05:43 AM »
Friends,
Narsi mehta's song which was dear to gAndhiji:
Who is a Vaishnava?A song by the Great saint Narsi Mehta:
 Vaishnav jan to tene kahiye je
 [One who is a vaishnav]
PeeD paraayi jaaNe re
 [Knows the pain of others]
Par-dukhkhe upkaar kare toye
 [Does good to others, esp. to those ones who are in misery]
Man abhimaan na aaNe re
 [Does not let pride enter his mind]
Vaishnav...

SakaL lok maan sahune vande
 [A Vaishnav, Tolerates and praises the the entire world]
Nindaa na kare keni re
 [Does not say bad things about anyone]
Vaach kaachh man nishchaL raakhe
 [Keeps his/her words, actions and thoughts pure]
Dhan-dhan janani teni re
 [O Vaishnav, your mother is blessed (dhanya-dhanya)]

Vaishnav...

Sam-drishti ne trishna tyaagi
 [A Vaishnav sees everything equally, rejects greed and avarice]
Par-stree jene maat re
 [Considers some one else's wife/daughter as his mother]
 Jivha thaki asatya na bole
 [The toungue may get tired, but will never speak lies]
 Par-dhan nav jhaalee haath re
 [Does not even touch someone else's property]
 Vaishnav...

Moh-maaya vyaape nahi jene
 [A Vaishnav does not succumb to worldly attachments]
 DriDh vairaagya jena man maan re
 [Who has devoted himself to stauch detachment to worldly
pleasures]
 Ram naam shoon taaLi laagi
 [Who has been edicted to the elixir coming by the name of Ram]
 SakaL tirath tena tan maan re
 [For whom all the religious sites are in the mind]
 Vaishnav...

VaN-lobhi ne kapaT-rahit chhe
 [Who has no greed and deciet]
 Kaam-krodh nivaarya re
 [Who has renounced lust of all types and anger]
BhaNe Narsaiyyo tenun darshan karta
 [The poet Narsi will like to see such a person]
KuL ekoter taarya re
 [By who's virtue, the entire family gets salvation]
 Vaishnav...

I have posted it in the Rough Note book thread a month or so back.I feel moved to share it here.I do not aspire for any 'Realization' more than this.
Namaskar

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 11:10:17 AM »
Very beautiful Sri Ravi. Than you.

since some months back, i have verily given up, this thing about identifying a jnani, jivanmukta and so on. i felt it is needless. It is more easier and lighter to leave these mind from knowing who is a jnani and ajnani. Like the verse goes, where ever there is tears of ecstasy of devotion, where ever there is compassion overflowing, there resides the Supreme Truth, and it feels from within to bow and sink within out of the immensity of Bhava, that resides there in.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 11:11:30 AM »
since some months back, i have verily given up, this thing about identifying a jnani, jivanmukta and so on. i felt it is needless.

Who can tell this to us better than Bhagawan? "Vantha velaiye par..." :)
Salutations to Bhagawan