Author Topic: The third eye and where does this I spring.  (Read 3732 times)

right2be

• View Profile
The third eye and where does this I spring.
« on: October 02, 2012, 07:41:58 AM »
Hello fellow self enquirers

I understand third eye meditation described by Sri ramana is not the true self but can be a means to gaining mind control which will help to realize true self. I never do third eye meditation. All my efforts in practicing meditation is solely based on searching for I and where from I spring. While meditating I often feel a feeling hard to describe between my brows. I feel a little tension but it does not feel like normal tension as though I am using physical force to push down between brows. There is a certain type of comfort and niceness to the feeling mixed with abit of tension and warmth. What is the meaning of this ? I do not meditate focusing attention between the brows yet I get a strange sensation in this particular spot while I am searching for I. The more I concentrate and focus it feels like my mind moving/falling into "i" which feels like a backwards direction and the sensation between the brows feels like it is intensifying and then reaches a point which then plateaus/stablelises and I no longer feel the feeling of falling/moving backwards into the "I". As much focus and concentration I use It feels like something is holding me back from going further.

Why does this feeling between brows arise when I do not focus concentration to it ?
and what is this feeling of falling into the "I" and then reaching a point I cannot move past ? Is this normal to have this ?

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: The third eye and where does this I spring.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »
Dear ivac_d, I think that Bhagavan never advised third eye meditation. Infact,He never advised concentration on any body part,only selfinquiry,searching,concentration,awareness on I,on yourself. So,You are doing everything good. And,by my thinking,it is all natural,everything which is happening to You. It is progress. Just continue to do selfinquiry,and ignore all that. That,exsactly,was happening to me too,and i felt i cant go furder. But,it is all mind tricks. My advice is,when You feel You cant do it furder,just rest,listen some mantras,or whatever to rest,and then continue with it. Wish You All the Best!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:18:21 PM by Jewell »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 08:41:21 PM »
Dear ivac-d, Jewell,

There is nothing like third eye and third eye mediation. It is an imaginary spot between eyebrows for the purpose of
meditation. But Sri Bhagavan did not advise this method. His method for meditation on the formless Self and if one cannot
visualise a formless Self, then one can meditate on any God. This will take you to the formless Self.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:23:24 PM »
Dear Tushnim and others,

There is no third eye. Sri Bhagavan has only mentioned, as you have said, Eye of the Eye. This eye of the eye cannot be 'seen'.
It is experiential. It is the Eye that makes our eyes to see, makes our nose to smell, makes our tongue to taste and makes our
skin to  feel the touch.

Arunachala =Atma = the eye of the eye. Sri Bhagavan says in Verse 15 of Akshara Mana Maalai:

You are the eye of the eye and without eyes to see. Who can see you O Arunachala?

OR

You are the all-seeing Witness, seeing all sights and seen by none. Who can see you? It is for you to 'see' me and give
me Your Grace.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 12:29:31 PM »
Dear Tushnim,

It is only You. But this You is experienced as Sat Chit Anandam. Existence, Knowledge and Bliss. Here again, the bliss is
not mental, it is supra mental. It is the Anandam of Swaruapam, Atma. Atma is itself Love, Anandam, Knowledge and the only
Existence.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 12:45:18 PM »
Dear Tushnim,

When the mind enjoys Bliss, (here the word bliss itself is more colloquial)  it is called Vishayanandam. It is mental.
When a man gets happiness or bliss from knowledge of scriptures, it is called Vidyanandam. It is again mental.

When a man becomes purer, calm, and free from cravings, then the bliss gained is Yoganandam. It is partly mental.

When a man becomes Self Realized, then that anandam coming out of Awareness is Swarupanandam., It is one's
own nature. It is not mental.  Ananda is one's own Swarupa.

Arunachala Siva,     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »
Dear Tushnim,

Yes. If you take a bar of chocolate, then you are happy. But are you happy for ever, just because you took one bar of chocolate
today? No,. The vishayananda stops, when vishayam (object ) is finished. Brahmanandam is not like that.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 02:13:03 PM »
Dear Tushnim,

It is from Sri Ramakrishna. I mentioned this story in David's blog this morning. But God's name is not dry bone, It is nectar.

Arunachala Siva.

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »
Hello everybody,

Thanks or all your replies, although it doesn't really answer my questions.

Why does this feeling between brows arise when I do not focus concentration to it ?

I am not doing third eye meditation, I am in no way focusing on third eye or any eye. The only thing focus on is "I" and from where does it rise.
From a lot of replies it seems people are not taking what i write with consideration.

If people do not take the time to understand the question I am asking, do not waste your time to reply.
You are not helping in anyway.

I just want to know why I feel the things I do and understand so I can further my practices, in no way do i speak of knowing more then anybody else. By asking these questions it is obvious I am seeking help from people with higher knowledge then that of my own. Please reply in good faith.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 06:37:28 PM by ivac_d »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »

I am not doing third eye meditation, I am in no way focusing on third eye or any eye. The only thing focus on is "I" and from where does it rise.

I just want to know why I feel the things I do and understand so I can further my practices, in no way do i speak of knowing more then anybody else. By asking these questions it is obvious I am seeking help from people with higher knowledge then that of my own. Please reply in good faith.

Dear Sri ivac_d,

If you observe, there is a break in your meditation, your concentration is hindered, as per the line of teachings of Sri Bhagavan, just ignore any experience you may encounter and just proceed, with who is it that is experiencing these sensations. Normally, it is common for every Sadhaka to get some experiences as Chitta Ekagratha - concentration occurs, but, Sri Bhagavan advises not to worry about these experiences and break your head as to what it could be, and why is it occuring and so on, and stick only to the source, that is the self. What is important, is it important to analyse about the sensation and your experiences or the goal? definitely it is the goal, that is the self.

Now that you are able to say that you are feeling some sensation between your eye brows, this is only happening because you have come out of your meditation. That sensation is only trying to pull you from your meditation. Bhagavan says in Sat Darshanam, Satyaya Pratyaya, Naham Udeti Tatra. Truth is that whence there is non emergence of I. Now, you are only able to say these things only because there is emergence of I. Therefore, Stick with the Experiencer and not worry about the experiecne. The Seer alone is important, the seen no matter how great it may be is not to be given much importance.

To one such question, a devotee had asked to Bhagavan, He responded, if it is troubling you in any way, in that case, bring focus of your attention to the heart, and continue your meditation. then it will subside.

When you dig deep into the earth, you are going to unearth some jewels, such as diamonds rubies and so on, if you give in to it, you are stuck half way in your journey.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:10:35 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 02:52:21 AM »
Thank you very much asanam and nagaraj sirs.
Your replies answered my question. I will not give in to these distractions thinking "why" anymore. I now know they are only distractions.

Thank you for helping me understand.
And thankyou to everybody else.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 03:25:45 PM »
Dear Tushnim,

Self Inquiry is in fact, the central teaching of Sri Bhagavan. He mentions it again and again in Ramana Gita, Who am I?
Self Inquiry, Spiritual Instruction, and Talks. He gave self surrender as a concession for those who cannot do Self Inquiry.

Arunachala Siva.     

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 03:30:14 PM »
subramanian,
"He gave self surrender as a concession for those who cannot do Self Inquiry"
Is this true?Please substantiate.
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 03:33:30 PM »
Dear Ravi,

Sri Bhagavan has said this to Devaraja Mudaliar vide his Day by Day.

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 03:42:46 PM »
Subramanian,
Does this mean self surrender will lead to self -enquiry;or is it the other way round?
Sri Bhagavan's primary teaching is 'Just be' only.It is for those who could not do this that he advocated 'self-Enquiry'.
Self Surrender and 'Just Be' are the same.
Namaskar.