Author Topic: Discussion on the Quotes of Shankaracharya's  (Read 21575 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Discussion on the Quotes of Shankaracharya's
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2012, 09:10:07 AM »
Sri Atmavichar100,

In response to your quote, regard eating lightly -

One who cultivates solitude, eats lightly, and has controlled his speech, body and mind, and is ever intent on serving his Guru, becomes fit for Self-realisation.- Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal.

there is an instruction in the Shastras as follows:

अर्धं सव्यञ्जनान्नस्य तृतीयमुदकस्य च ।
वायोः सञ्चरणार्थं चतुर्थमवशेषयेत् ॥

ardhamsavyanjanAnnasya trutIamudakasya ca
vAyOh sancaranArtham caturthamavasheShayet

The stomach should be only half full with food, one forth with water and the rest left empty for air circulation. This is the proper way. Excess food affect digestion and meagre intake will lead to undernourishment.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2012, 01:56:38 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Yes. For a spiritual seeker, solitude helps him contemplate more on god. Swami Ramalinga Swamigal said: Be Alone.
Be Awake. Be always somewhat hungry.

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
Nagaraj,

1.shravanam - Listening to the Lord's stories, Leelas and Mahimas.
2.kIrtanam - Singing the glories of the Lord's Name.
3.smaranam - Remembrance of Lord's Name.
4.pAda sEvanam - Service to the Lotus Feet of the Lord.
5.archanam - Worship of the Lord.
6.vandanam - Salutation of the Lord.
7.dAsyam - Master and Servant Relationship like the one between Sri Rama and Hanuman.
8.sakhyam - Companionship of the Lord.
9.Atma nivEdanam - Offering oneself to the Lord in complete self-surrender

Very nice talk by Sri BhArati Tirtha Swamiji.Have you been to the samadhi of Sri sadAsiva Brahmam in Nerur?
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2012, 04:07:21 PM »
No Sri Ravi, i think it is call, only yesterday, 3 people have asked me the same question :) including yourself. it was surprising actually! Bhagavan willing i have to go soon.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2012, 04:23:13 PM »
Nagaraj,
Wonderful parable of the Harmonium and curious man by Sri Abhinava VidyA Tirtha swamiji.It reminds me of Udhhalaka's interaction with his son in the chAndogya upanishad.Here is an excerpt from SwAmi KrishnAnanda's commentary :

Chandogya Upanishad

CHAPTER TWO: UDDALAKA'S TEACHING CONCERNING THE ONENESS OF THE SELFSection 12: The Indwelling Spirit (Continued) -

Illustration of the Banyan Tree and Its Seed

Nyagrodha-phalam ata aharet; idam, bhagavah, iti; bhinddhiti; bhinnam, bhagavah, iti; kim atra pasyasiti; anvya ivema dhanah, bhagavah, iti; asam angaikam bhinddhiti; bhinna, bhagavah, iti; kim atra pasyasiti; na kim-chana, bhagavah, iti.
There was a banyan tree in front of the kutir. All know that the banyan tree is very large but the fruit is so small and the seed is atomic. "Bring one fruit," says the father to the son. The boy runs and brings a small fruit of that huge expanse of the tree called banyan, and says, "Idam bhagavah-here is the fruit, my father." "Bhinddhiti-split it, break the fruit into pieces," says the father. "Bhinnam bhagavah-I have broken it," replies Svetaketu. "Kim atra pasyasiti-now what do you see inside it?" asks the father. The boy says, "Anvya-I see small granules."

All must have seen the fruit of a banyan tree. How many fruits are there in the tree? How many seeds are there in each fruit? Innumerable, countless, very tiny, atomic seeds are there. How small they are! And you can contrast the smallness of the seeds with the largeness of the tree which is the banyan.

"Anvya ivema dhanah-very small seeds I see inside the fruit, very tiny, atomic seeds are there," says the son. "Asam angaikam bhinddhiti-now you split one small seed," says the father.

It is very difficult to split it. You cannot take it by the hand. It will escape your grip. Somehow the boy split that little atomic seed.

"Bhinna bhagavah iti-yes, I have split it," he says. "Kim atra pasyasiti-now inside that very little atomic seed, what do you see?" the father asks. "Na kim-chana-I do not see anything," says the boy.

Our naked eyes cannot see what is inside that little seed. There is a small jelly-like, very tiny, invisible essence inside that seed. It is very small, a semi-liquid-like substance. We may be able to see it with our powerful microscope. There is no solid hard substance there inside that little seed.

"What do you see in it?" asks the father, and the son replies, "I cannot see anything."

Tam hovacha yam vai, saumya, etam animanam na nibhalayase, etasya vai, saumya, esho'nimna evam mahan nyagrodhas-tishthati srddhatsva, saumya iti.
The father now explains: "Do you know, my dear boy, what is inside the seed? It is a great wonder. You say that you cannot see anything there. It is practically invisible and non-existent, as it were, from your point of view. Thin, apparently non-existent something, the very little, subtle essence there inside that little seed, has become this vast tree in front of you. Do you know this? How is this possible? Is it not a miracle that a terribly large tree grows from this little speck of jelly which cannot even be seen with the eyes? Now look at this miracle. Please have faith in what I say and go into the deeper profundity of this analogy of mine."

Sa ya esho'nima, aitad atmyam idam sarvam, tat satyam, sa atma, tat-tvam-asi, svetaketo, iti; bhuya eva ma, bhagavan, vijnapayatv-iti; tatha, saumya, iti hovacha.
This little so-called subtle essence is pervading the entire tree. How is it possible? How can an atomic little speck pervade the large expanse of the tree? Yet, there is nothing in this tree which is not in this little speck of jelly. The so-called large tree that you see there is nothing but whatever was contained in the invisible speck inside the seed. So is this vast universe. We say this universe is so large, so big or so unmanageable, so gross, so weighty. This is exactly like saying this tree is so big. But from where has it come? It has come from a very small, atomic, subtle Seed. That is the Being, the essence of the vast tree of this universe. So this Being, the essence of this whole universe, is the Self of the whole universe. This little jelly-like substance inside the little seed is the Self of this whole tree. It is the Atman of this banyan, because that has become all this, and outside it the tree does not exist. So it is the being of this tree. Even so is the Being of the whole universe including one's own self. "Tat-tvam-asi-you are that," says the father. We can tell every branch of the tree, "You are that essence," we can tell every leaf in the tree, "You are that essence," every fruit and flower in the tree, "You are that." And you will not be committing a mistake in saying that, because it is true. Even so we can say to every individual, "You are That," because all individuals have come from that indistinguishable, homogeneous Reality.

namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2012, 04:44:25 PM »
Sri Ravi,

what insight! and, how simple! and, what life, what education! no words!! just in their conversation, we can feel and sense such warmth and humility in such exalted knowledge! Looking at our past, ancestors, there is, but only wonderment!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2012, 01:57:52 PM »
Friends, request to kindly pursue discussion in relevant thread.

Thank you

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
:) Sraddha is basically trust, pending inquiry. The overall "earnestness" [openness] required to sincerely inquire into Guru's words is Sraddha.
This is not "Faith".
I never said Sraddha is not required for Self inquiry.
I said Faith is not required.
One simply needs the earnestness to inquire.

as i said, no one has understood what i was presenting.

In fact i contrasted it with faith using examples.

Sraddha : student inquires into what is said.
Believer/Faith: student repeats what is said.
Non-Believer: Student simply repeats that whats said is wrong.

i clearly mentioned this in many posts.

Sri Tuushnim,

Why all so much struggle with words faith shradDha, etc... friend, just take a moment of pause, is this really essential? whether faith is required not required, and faith is different from shradDhA, shradDhA is not faith, and so on?

Why getting stuck in these words?

I think everyone knows here, what is truly required to advance oneself higher to the better. Why struggle in going into the intricacies of what it really is?

Come back to what is truly required friend! Let go, these things are not worth being discussed aplenty!

:)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2013, 02:00:30 PM »
Though this thread had been opened a long time before to discuss the quotes ,teachings and incidents of Adi Shankara and other Shankaracharyas ( of Kanchi , Sringeri etc ) ,it was not used much and I thought of reviving the same today after discussing about Bhavani Ashtakam in another thread .
So let all future discussions related to Shankaracharya's , their life and work be posted here and the other thread can be used to just post the quotes and incidents so that it helps those who want to just read them alone without getting distracted by the discussions .I myself went through some of the old posts and really felt refreshed and inspired reading them again .

The quote for discussion today is this :

What does the statement, “Ishwara protects us” mean? Does it mean that Ishwara handles us like a shepherd herding his cattle with a stick in his hand? No, what is meant is that the Lord protects us by entering our minds and inducing appropriate thoughts. There is a prayer in the Vedas:” May the supreme Lord who is the sole cause of the entire cosmos and of even Hiranyagarbha, the creator, induce noble thoughts in my mind”.- Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal

There is a saying in Sanskrit "vinasha kale vipreet buddhi "i.e when one looses ones sense of discrimination then it is a sign of bad time and sign of good times is when noble and elevating thoughts come to our mind . Thousands of thoughts flow through our mind but only few selected one bring a great positive transformation in a person . This is the work of Grace /Ishwara who plants those positive thoughts in our mind .
We may have seen this in our own lives i.e some people may have gifted us some good spiritual book or we may have bought it in some spiritual shop or ashram but would not have read it fully and it might be just lying there accumulating dust but suddenly one day we will take it and read it and find that book to be a great spiritually transforming one .
Or it can be through reading some random quote / post in this forum or any other forums that we might have overlooked in the past and after some time the same quote / post becomes very spiritually inspiring for us .
Is this a random event ?
It appears on the outside like that but actually it is not so . Some small good deeds and activities that we have done over the past have blessed us with this positive thought at this point of time .
That is why Hindu Sashtras always advice us to do daily prayers , fasts , charity , pilgrimage ,helping others  in distress etc etc which might look very trivial to start with but over a period of time this has a cumulative affect .
Many years back I chanced to listen a talk on "Thirumandiram" and there the speaker told that according to Thirumular doing Tapas need not be very big and elaborate , it can be simple thing like feeding a crow , feeding a cow , feeding a guest etc and this "small tapas" over a period of time will have a cumulative positive effect on your life .

Others can share their thoughts on this .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2013, 06:50:17 AM »
Atmavichar(Krishna),

What does the statement, “Ishwara protects us” mean? Does it mean that Ishwara handles us like a shepherd herding his cattle with a stick in his hand? No, what is meant is that the Lord protects us by entering our minds and inducing appropriate thoughts. [color] There is a prayer in the Vedas:” May the supreme Lord who is the sole cause of the entire cosmos and of even Hiranyagarbha, the creator, induce noble thoughts in my mind”.- [/i] Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal

In this verse from paripooraNAnandam,Thayumanavar expresses what this means:

வாரா தெலாமொழிய வருவன வெலாமெய்த
     மனதுசாட் சியதாகவே
  மருவநிலை தந்ததும் வேதாந்த சித்தாந்த
     மரபுசம ரசமாகவே
பூராய மாயுணர வூகமது தந்ததும்
     பொய்யுடலை நிலையன்றெனப்
   போதநெறி தந்த்துஞ் சாசுவத ஆனந்த
     போகமே வீடென்னவே
நீராள மாயுருக வுள்ளன்பு தந்ததும்
       நின்னதருள் இன்னும் இன்னும்
    நின்னையே துணையென்ற என்னையே காக்கவொரு
       நினைவுசற் றுண்டாகிலோ
பாராதி யறியாத மோனமே யிடைவிடாப்
      பற்றாக நிற்கஅருள்வாய்
   பார்க்குமிட மெங்குமொரு நீக்கமற ந்றைகின்ற
      ப்ரிபூர ணானந்தமே.

To have reached the state of impassivity that holds
''Let them come that come,''
''Let them go that go,''
The mind but remaining to witness them.
To have received the inspiration
For attainment of wholesome Truth
In the tradition of Vedanta-Siddhanta Equability (Samarasa);
To have been taught the wisdom's way
Of the truth of body's impermanence;
To have been gifted with a heart that melts in love
Holding that the permanent state of bliss is liberation true -
All these are but by Thine Grace.
If only Thou have a little thought yet more to protect me,
Who hold to Thee as the Refuge,
Grace me  to abide in silence  devoid of worldliness
as the uniterrupted attachment(to thee)
Oh! Thou who filleth all visible space
In unbroken continuity!
Thou, the Bliss that is Perfect Full!

Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2013, 08:56:11 PM »
Everyone cries “Sanatana Dharma is on the decline”, and repeats it endlessly, but does not stop, to have an introspection into his own conduct. He, who does not set an example himself, but goes on blaming others for the decline of dharma, is the greatest enemy of Dharma.- Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha