Author Topic: Quotes from Shankaracharya's  (Read 146530 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes from Shankaracharya's
« Reply #465 on: February 19, 2018, 10:50:42 PM »
Dear Sri Atmavichar,

Again one beautiful post,and so very true! I am sure many experienced how sincere and focused prayer brings results in no time. It can be felt how it touches our hearts.

I have noticed how important is to be focused. And sometimes,when i am absent-minded,and do not wish to force myself too much,because my attention goes from time to time,i prefer to bring some visual or sound stimuli,to be able to focus on the prayer. That usually happens with stotras or mantras. Indeed,much better is that prayer is short and full with devotion.
One funny thing-many times i remember Sri Ramakrishna,and how He slapped one woman while giving offerings to Divine Mother in the temple, for she was thinking about some worldly matters. When that kind of thing happens, i always remember Him.

Thank You for sharing these beautiful thoughts from Swami!

With love,

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 28, 2018, 10:55:46 AM »
Kanchi Shankaracharya HH Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Swamigal attained Siddhi today (Wed 28 Feb 2018 ) morning

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 08, 2018, 09:48:41 AM »
मुक्तिका उपनिषत् Muktika Upanisad

If you have manda buddhi, inferior subtle (as distinct from sharp) intellect then study the 8 Upanishads. If this is not enough, study the 108 Upanishads. If you still don't get it, then do dhyana, japa, puja and good works until you develop antahkaranashuddhi in some future birth to be able to understand these subtle teachings.
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 08, 2018, 10:16:22 PM »
Experiences with Maha Periyava: Guru Charitra Parayana

Sri Maha Periyava veiled His divine powers from us. Many did not understand the significance of His divine incarnation. All the same, some have known Sri Periyava?s divine powers.

Chidambara Kulkarni of Hire Bagevadi near Belgaum was deeply devoted to Periyava. It was his practice to visit Kanchipuram once, or even twice in a year, stay on and read the Guru Charitram (Dattatreya Charitram) in seven days as a Sapataha Parayana as a traditional act of adoration. He once visited Kanchi with his family for this purpose. Another devotee also came there then. He said to Periyava, ?The Guru Charitra Parayana is going on.?

?How many times has the parayana taken place so far??

?So far, seventy-two times. The seventy-third Parayana is going on now.?

Sri Periyava asked an attendant, ?Do you know which Guru Charitram he is reading??

?No? said the attendant in reply.

?He is reading Periyava?s Charitram (Sri Maha Swamigal Charitram) written by Sambhamurthi Sastri every day. He has completed the parayana seventy-two times and is now doing it for the seventy-third time. On all days such as Pillayar Chathurthi, Krishna Janmashtami, Saraswati Puja and Rama Navami, he worships my picture. Other than me, he knows no God.?

I wanted to know who that devotee was. Periyava indulged in a bit of divine play and sent me away from there on an errand, not allowing me to know his name or the place he came from. I learnt then that there were many deeply devoted to Sri Maha Periyava like Pradosham Venkatarama Iyer Mama.

Narrated by SriMatham Balu Mama
Source: Maha Periyaval Darisana Anubhavangal, Vol-3
Compiled by Jagadguru Sri Maha Periyava - Kanchi Paramacharya/Fb

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 13, 2018, 09:50:34 AM »
Short Messages from Sringeri Jagadgurus:

Sringeri Jagadguru on What can we Offer God (Telugu):

To understand Dharma, Vedanta and other such noble subjects, it is essential that we read Sri Adi Shankaracharya?s works. He has written to bestow knowledge on a variety of audiences, including the layman.

TEACHING ONE. OFFER YOUR MIND TO GOD

For instance, we think that to make an offering to God, we need to take fruits, flowers, food, etc. However Sri Shankaracharya says, ?This is fine. But this alone is insufficient. There is one thing which is of utmost importance, which should be offered. What is that? It is but your mind. Without first offering your mind, there is no use of offering anything to God.? Therefore, Sri Shankaracharya has said:

समर्प्यैकं चेतः सरसिजमुमानाथ भवते
I should offer my mind as a flower to the Lord?s feet.

In this context, what is meant by offering the mind to the Lord? Is mind a tangible object? How then, is it possible to offer the mind? Offering your mind means meditating on the Lord always in your mind. You should think only of the Lord, not of other unnecessary things. Why? Because there is simply no purpose. There are so many things happening in the world. But do we stand to gain anything by thinking about them? No. But if we use the same time to meditate upon the Lord, it will give us great benefit. In our life, time is invaluable. Wasting it is a big mistake. The only way to not waste it, is to think of God always. If even a small bit of time is spent without thinking about the Lord, we should be as pained as we would feel if there was a theft in our house.

मुहूर्तमात्रेऽतिक्रान्ते भगवच्चिन्तनं विना ।
दस्युभिर्मुषितेनेव युक्तमाक्रन्दितुं ध्रुवम् ॥

If even a moment is wasted without thinking of the Lord, we should feel guilty about it. We think of many unnecessary matters. Is it of any use? Certain people come to attend a Puja, but start discussing about irrelevant matters, when seated in front of the deity. Is that the time to talk such matters? Where have you come and what are you discussing? Your duty then is to keep thinking of the Lord and watch the Puja. You have to chant the Lord?s name and meditate upon Him. Instead, if you let your mind dwell on impertinent matters, there is no bigger mistake than this. Therefore, Sri Shankaracharya has asked us to offer our mind as a flower to God. In essence, it means: Focus on the Lord, without letting your mind wander.

Video: https://youtu.be/H6XtNv3ftoA

Copyright: Dakshinamnaya Sri Sharada Peetham, Sringeri

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 18, 2018, 10:53:12 AM »

Sringeri Jagadguru on 5 Sutras to become a Dharmika:

1. Do not disturb anyone
2. Do not tell lies
3. Do not desire for other's things
4. See all women in this world as your mother
5. Do not desire to have whatever you see

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 20, 2018, 06:48:18 PM »
Today ( 20 April 2018 ) is Adi Shankara Jayanathi and Sri Mahasannidhanam ( Sringeri Sri Bharati Teertha Mahaswamigal ) in His Anugraha Bhashanam has said that it is our foremost duty to remember and revere Sri Adi Shankaracharya, the incarnation of Lord Parameshwara, for reviving Sanatana Dharma and for showing the path of welfare to all. Remembrance of Sri Adi Shankaracharya and His virtues can be done by all by chanting His Ashtottara Shatanama. If we understand the pregnant meanings behind each name in the Ashtottara, and chant the names, it will be as if Sri Adi Shankaracharya Himself stands before us giving us His Darshan. Sri Mahasannidhanam blessed that every follower of Sanatana Dharma participate in this Japa Yajna, the greatness of which is vouched for by Bhagavan Himself in the Gita, where He states ?  ?यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि? ? Of all Yajnas, I am the Japa-Yajna. Sri Mahasannidhanam also said that the the Parayana of the Ashtottara of Sri Adi Shankaracharya must become part of our daily prayers.

This Adi Shankara Ashtottara Parayanam Program organized by the Srinegri Mutt has been going on for the last few years and they have made excellent tools for people to follow the same through free PDF ( in Sanskrit , Tamil , Telegu , Kannada , Malayalam ) and also free audio downloads and also a free APP . This Adi Shankara Ashtottaram along with the other Stotras recommended by Sringeri Acharayas are a complete prayer by itself which can be followed by every individual , family , group as part of their daily /weekly prayer . I have made this Adi Shankara Ashtottara Parayanam a form of daily prayer and have nearly mastered the Adi Shankara Ashtottaram and will master the other stotras recommended by Sri Bharati Teertha Mahaswamigal in the coming months .For more details regarding this follow the Sringeri Mutt website .
Here is a link to the very clear chanting of the Adi Shankara Astottara in Sanskrit .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgKJowPSliI

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 23, 2018, 09:31:08 AM »
We are so caught up in our own judgments, in our own prejudices, in what we want to know, but If one can listen, it reveals a great deal. If we can really quietly listen to everything that is happening in our consciousness, to our own impulses, the various passions, the envies, the fears, then the silence comes into being. - Kanchi Maha Swamigal

The above quote is from Kanchi Mahaswamigal and it is very similar to what J Krishnamurti also keep saying many times .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 11, 2018, 02:23:40 PM »

Sringeri Jagadguru on What to do if no time for Puja and Nitya Karma (Kannada):

Excerpt from the book: Sanatana Dharma Vol. 1
Chapter 11 Dharma is eternal and unchanging
Page 75-77
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSfU6Zs4nGE

"Today many people lament: ?Swamiji, we are not in a position to put into practice the principles ordained by the sastras. Times have changed. In the past people led a leisurely life. They used to indulge in religious pursuits from morning till evening. We have to rush to our offices at 8 AM in the morning. How can we take up religious practices, like in the past?? They request me to frame a new set of principles to suit the present day situation. In their opinion, rules framed by the Jagadguru would be accepted by all and would be valued.

I told them that Sri Adi Sankaracharya did not establish the Peethas to stipulate new sets of rules and procedures. He established these Peethas to guide the people, to encourage them and ensure that they abided by the Sastras. It is thus impossible, to change the sastras.

They persist, saying it is not possible to follow the guidelines laid down in the sastras. This is only due to the poor understanding of what is prescribed in the sastras. What do the sastras prescribe?

It is prescribed that we offer worship both in the morning and in the evening. If an elaborate worship is not possible owing to some constraints the sastras prescribe a shorter method of worship as a solution. Why is this not being adopted?

It is prescribed that you should chant the Gayatree mantra 1008 times during the sandhyavandana. If this is not possible it suggests that the mantra be chanted at least 108 times. If, even this is not possible it suggests that you chant the mantra at least 32 times.

The sastras suggest both, mukhyakalpa and anukalpa. lf you follow mukhyakalpa you have to chant the mantra 1008 times. If it is not possible to follow mukhyakalpa you may follow anukalpa and chant the Gayatree mantra only 108 times. What you are asking is - If there is a means by which sandhyavandana can be totally avoided. I am emphatically saying that it is not possible. It is my firm opinion; if it is not possible to chant the Gayatree mantra 1008 times, chant it 108 times; even if that is not possible chant it atleast 32 times, but do not give up sandhyavandana.

If you cannot perform worship in an elaborate manner, chanting Rudra and chamaka, perform it at least in a brief manner, chanting only the purushasookta.

lt would be sheer escapism if you say that even this is not possible.You have time for reading the news papers, for watching the television serials and all other activities. If you say you do not have time only for chanting the Gayatree mantra 108 times it would only amount to escapism. It is a lame excuse given to cover, your lack of interest and faith."

Copyright: Dakshinamnaya Sri Sharada Peetham, Sringeri

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 24, 2018, 10:38:47 PM »
தெய்வத்தின் குரல்( Kanchi Paramacharya on how the breath flow reflects the mood of the person )

உடம்புக்கு மட்டும் தான் ' மூச்சு ' முக்கியம் என்றில்லை. மனஸுக்கும் மனஸின்
ஆரோக்யத்திற்கும் அதுவே முக்யமாயிருக்கிறது. எண்ணங்களுக்கு மூலமான மனஸும், மூச்சுக்கு மூலமான பிராணசக்தியும் ஒன்றாகவே இருப்பதால்தான் இப்படியிருக்கிறது.

நாடி சலனத்தாலேயே ஆரோக்யமான (நல்ல) அல்லது ஆரோக்யக் குறைவான (கெட்ட) எண்ணங்களும் உண்டாகின்றன. நீங்களே கவனித்துப் பார்த்தால் தெரியும். ஒரு தெய்வ ஸந்நிதானத்தில் அல்லது மஹானின் அருகில் மனஸ் சாந்தமாக இருக்கிறபோது மூச்சு எப்படி சஞ்சரிக்கிறது; காமத்தினால், கோபத்தினால் வேகம் உண்டாகிறபோது ' ச்வாஸகதி ' எப்படியிருக்கிறது என்று பார்த்தால், ஒன்றுக்கொன்று நிரம்ப வித்யாஸமாயிருக்கும்.

ஸந்தோஷம் என்பதிலேயேகூட தெய்வ விஷயமாக ஒரு பஜனையில் அல்லது உத்ஸவத்தில் உண்டாகிறதற்கும், இந்திரிய சுகத்தை தருகிற விஷயங்களில் உண்டாவதற்கும் நாடி சலனத்தில் வித்யாஸம் தெரியும். பொதுவாக உத்தமமான ஸந்தோஷத்தில் மூச்சு வலது நாசித்துவாரத்தில் வரும்; வெறும் இந்திரிய ஸந்தோஷம் (புலனின்பம்) என்றால் இடது நாசித் துவாரத்தில் வரும்.

இத்தனை உணர்ச்சிகளிலும் ஆதாரமான சாந்தமான ஸத்வஸ்துவில் தியானம் வலுவாகிற போது, ஒரே சீராக, மிக மெதுவாக, இரு நாசிகளிலும் ஸமமாக மூச்சு வரும். தியான லக்ஷ்யத்தில் ஒன்றுபட்டுவிடுகிறபோது மூச்சே நின்றுவிடும். மனஸும் நின்றுவிடும். ஆனால் உயிர் இருக்கும். ஞானம் என்ற பேருணர்வு பூரித்து இருக்கும்.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 24, 2018, 11:32:28 PM »
"தெய்வத்தின் குரல்"

(607)

உபவாஸம் - பகுதி 7

ஏகாதசிகளின் பெயர்கள்

நிறைவு பெறுவோம்

இப்படி நம் மதத்தில் சிறப்பித்துச் சொல்லியிருக்கும் ஏகாதசியில் எல்லாரும் வ்ரதாநுஷ்டானம் பண்ண வேண்டும்.

சாப்பிடாமல் இருப்பது வெறும் 'அநாசக'மாக இல்லாமல்,

பகவானோடு சேர்த்து வாழும்
'உப - வாஸ'மாக ஆகவேண்டும்.

இதற்கு ஏகாதசியன்று நம்மால் எவ்வளவு முடியுமோ அவ்வளவு பகவன் நாமத்தை ஜபமாகவோ, பஜனையாகவோ உச்சரிக்க வேண்டும்.

எவ்வளவு அதிக நாழிகை பகவத் தியானம் செய்ய முடியுமோ அவ்வளவு செய்யவேண்டும்.

வைகுண்ட ஏகாதசி,

மஹா சிவராத்திரி,

கோகுலாஷ்டமி,

ராமநவமி

முதலிய விசேஷ நாட்களில் கூட நாம் வாயைக் கட்டாமல்,

வயிற்றைக் கட்டாமலிருந்தால் அது இந்த தேசத்தில் பிறந்த நமக்கு ரொம்பக் குறைவாகும்.

வயிறு குறைந்தாலும் மனஸ் நிறையும்படிப் பண்ணிக் கொள்வதே நமக்கு நிறைவு.

அப்படிப் பண்ணிக் கொள்வதற்கான ஸங்கல்ப பலத்தை பகவான் எல்லாருக்கும் அநுக்ரஹிக்க வேண்டும்.

பெங்கால்காரர்கள், வாயில் சொட்டுப் பச்சைத் தண்ணி கூட விடாமல் அன்று வ்ரதமிருக்கிறார்கள்.

அங்கே கோடையில் கோட்டையடுப்பு மாதிரி ஊர் முழுக்க நெருப்புக் காற்று அடிக்கிற போதுகூட,

வாய் அப்படியே உலர்ந்து வறண்டு ஒட்டிக் கொண்டாலும் அந்த விதந்துக்கள் சொட்டுத் தீர்த்தங்கூட விட்டுக் கொள்வதில்லை என்று பிடிவாதமாகயிருப்பது வழக்கம்.

நாக்கை அடக்க முடியவில்லை என்று விடவே கூடாது.

ஆப்பிள்ளைச் சாப்பிட்டுத்தான் ஆடம் அடிமட்டத்துக்கு விழுந்துவிட்டான் என்கிறார்கள்.

Forbidden fruit மாதிரி நம் சாஸ்திரப்படி forbidden food எதையுமே சாப்பிடக் கூடாது.

மீறினால் அது நம்மைக் கீழேதான் இறக்கும்.

இம்மாதிரி ஒரு 'டெம்ப்டேஷன்' உண்டாகிற சமயங்களில்,

'இப்போது இது உசந்த ருசி என்று சாப்பிட்டாலும்,

சாப்பிடுகிற இந்த ஐந்து, பத்து நிமிஷங்களுக்கு அப்புறம் ருசி நாக்கில் நிற்கிதா என்ன ?

இது உசந்த பதார்த்தம் என்று சாப்பிட்டாலும், இது என்ன சாச்வதமாக வயிற்றிலே இருந்துகொண்டு, மறுபடி பசிக்காமல் பண்ணப் போகிறதா என்ன ? என்று நம்மை நாமே கேட்டுக்கொண்டு,

கன்ட்ரோல் பண்ணிக் கொள்ள வேண்டும்.

இப்படி ஒரு நல்லறிவு உண்டாவதற்கு மறுபடியும் பகவானையேதான் வேண்டிக் கொள்கிறேன்.

ஶ்ரீ மஹாபெரியவா

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 20, 2018, 10:36:25 AM »
Kanchi Paramacharya's views on Converting Hindus to Christianity

Original Tamil article ? (https://mahaperiyavaa.blog/2014/03/23/periyavas-view-on-conversion-to-christianity/)

Kanchi MahaPeriyava was camping in Ilayathangudi then.

Chavi and Maniyan had go to Tiruchi to interview Periyar for an article that was to appear in Vikatan. After meeting with Periyar, they proceeded to Ilayathangudi. When they reached the place, Periyava was resting under a tree, interacting with His devotees.

On seeing Chavi, Periyava asked ?Are you coming directly from Chennai or did you go elsewhere before coming here ??

Chavi could not muster enough courage to say they were coming after meeting with Periyar in Trichy. So he said they were coming from Madras, which was neither the truth nor was it a blatant lie.

The circumstances in which Periyava was sitting there were a little different. At a considerable distance, a white elderly lady was sitting. She was keenly looking at Periyava from where she was sitting.

?I hear Vasan does whatever you ask him to?, Periyava said abruptly.

?Not really. If Periyava wants me to convey something, I?m ready to convey the same to him verbatim?, said Chavi.

?IN your Vikatan magazine, have you seen the weekly advertisement that coaxes people to convert to Christianity ??

?Yes, I have?

?To whoever comes to Me from Vikatan, I have tried telling them that we need to stop that advertisement. Everybody says Vasan will stop it if Chavi requests him to. So you talk to Vasan and get him to stop it?, said Periyava.

Chavi did not immediately say Ok. Instead he started debating with Periyava.

?Hinduism is like an ocean. It is special in many respects. It is not a religion which will disappear easily. For the sake of this argument, let us assume that few Hindus do convert to Christianity after seeing this advert. It is not going to be a big loss for Hinduism. It is not such a weak religion?, said Chavi a little aggressively.

Periyava did not lose his temper after hearing Chavi speak in this fashion.

?Is that so ?? Giving statistics on how many Hindus had actually converted to other religions since 1920, Periyava said ?The number of people converting from Hinduism is increasing day by day. At this rate, the adage ?even ants can cause a stone to erode? will come true?

Silence for some time.

MahaPeriyava again resumed ?A communist writer Arthur Koestler by name came to see Me. He asked Me several questions. Silence prevails in the Church were Christians go to pray. But in your temples, there is the cacophony of musical instruments, children shouting, people conversing loudly; there is noise all the time. Should there not be silence in the place meant for praying ??

?Since you people pray in Churches, silence is maintained there. As far as Hindus are concerned, it is not in the temples where they pray. Temples are places where Hindus express their gratitude to the Lord. There exists a ?Puja room? in every house. That?s where we pray. We also pray near river banks. We place ?Naivedyams? in temples and thank the Lord. We celebrate Pongal festival wherein farmers prepare Pongal after their harvest and express their gratitude. Just as people pay taxes to Kings as a note of appreciation, we express our gratitude to God. So the place where Hindus express their gratitude will definitely be noisy. Musical instruments play amidst joy overflowing?. This answer of Mine deeply convinced him.

?In the book that he wrote ?Lotus and the Robot?, he has recorded that he saw Christ in Me?. Do you know Dr. Raghavan, secretary at the Music Academy ? He has a copy of the book. Once you go back to Madras, borrow it from him and read it?.
He continued, ?Do you see that lady sitting there ? Both she and the writer are Christians. She also says that she sees Christ in Me. But we as Hindus advocate conversion of Hindus to Christianity. Is this right ??

Hearing all this, Chavi began to see the truth in all this. He bowed to Periyava, took his blessings and left saying ?I will convey Your wish to vasan?

Chavi wanted to meet with Vasan and discuss all this with him. However having felt that he should check Balu?s opinion first, he told all this to Balu

?This is just an advertisement, this is not our opinion. This is purely business. Kanchi Periya should realize this?, said Balu.

?Whatever it is, please stop the adverts. We should respect Periyava?s wish?, said Chavi.

Chavi tried persuade Balu for a long time but Balu did not agree.

Chavi did not give up and continued to debate. Finally after giving it some thought, Balu summoned the concerned editor and got the full details around the advertisement.

?It is a one year agreement. We still have 6 weeks left?, said the editor.

?That?s ok. Stop the adverts immediately. Dispatch a convincing letter to the party paying for the adverts?, Balu sent the editor away

?Are you happy now ??, asked Balu

?Very much?, replied Chavi gratefully

Source : https://mahaperiyavaa.blog/2018/08/09/taking-my-post-down/