Author Topic: Quotes from Shankaracharya's  (Read 114047 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Quotes from Shankaracharya's
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 05:00:18 PM »
आदौ कर्मप्रसङ्गात्कलयति कलुषं मातृकुक्षौ स्थितं मां
विण्मूत्रामेध्यमध्ये कथयति नितरां जाठरो जातवेदाः ।
यद्यद्वै तत्र दुःखं व्यथयति नितरां शक्यते केन वक्तुं
क्षन्तव्यो मे‌உपराधः शिव शिव शिव भो श्री महादेव शम्भो ॥1॥

aadau karmaprasangaatkalayati kaluShaM maatRukukShau sthitaM maaM
viNmootraamEdhyamadhyE kathayati nitaraaM jaaTharO jaatavEdaaH |
yadyadvai tatra duHkhaM vyathayati nitaraaM SakyatE kEna vaktuM
kShantavyO mEparaadhaH Siva Siva Siva bhO Sree mahaadEva SambhO

Even before I saw the light of this world, my sins from previous births,
Through which I passed because of desire for the fruit of my deeds,
Punished me as I lay in my mother’s womb.
There I was boiled in the midst of filthy things:
Who can describe the pain that afflicts the child in its mother’s womb?
Therefore, O Siva! O Mahadeva! O Sambhu! Forgive me, I pray, for my transgressions.

(shiva aparAdha kShamApana stotram)

(Adi shankarAcharyA)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 04:19:30 AM »
बाल्ये दुःखातिरेको मललुलितवपुः स्तन्यपाने पिपासा
नो शक्तश्चेन्द्रियेभ्यो भवगुणजनिताः जन्तवो मां तुदन्ति ।
नानारोगादिदुःखाद्रुदनपरवशः शङ्करं न स्मरामि
क्षन्तव्यो मे‌உपराधः शिव शिव शिव भो श्री महादेव शम्भो ॥2॥

bAlyE dukhAtirEkO malalulitavapuh stanyapAne pipAsA
nO shaktascendriyEbhyO bhavaguNajanitAh jantavo mAm tudanti
nAnArOgAdidukhAdidrudanaparavashah shankaram na smarAmi
kShantavO me aparAdhah shiva shiva shiva bhO shrI mahAdEva shambhO

In childhood my suffering never came to an end;
My body was covered with filth and I craved for my mother’s breasts.
Over my body and limbs I had no control;
I was pursued by troublesome flies and mosquitoes;
Day and night I cried with the pain of many an ailment, forgetting Thee, O Sankara!
Therefore, O Siva! O Mahadeva! O Sambhu! Forgive me, I pray, for my transgressions.

(shiva aparAdha kShamApana stotram)

(Adi shankarAcharyA)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 04:21:48 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 04:31:38 AM »
रिपौ बन्धौ स्वदेहे च समैकात्म्यं प्रपश्यतः ।
विवेकिनः कुतः कोपः स्वदेहावयवेष्विव ॥

ripau bandhau svadEhE ca samaikAtmyam prapashyatah
vivEkinah kutah kOpah svadEhAvayEShviva

From where can there be anger for a man of discrimination who sees the same One Self in the bodies of his friends, foes and his own, just as one perceives the same one body in all one's limbs.

(naishkarmyasiddhi, surEshwarAchAryA)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Self Restraint
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2012, 04:36:42 AM »
क्रोधादिवासनाक्षयरूपस्यशमादेर्ज्ञानहेतुत्वं प्रसिद्धम् ॥

krOdhAdivAsanAkShayarUpasya shamArdErjnyAnahEtutvaM prasidDham

Self restraint and the like are the other names of the effacement of he vAsanAs and it is well known  that these - self restraint etc. are the means to jnAna.

(naishkarmyasiddhi, surEshwarAchAryA)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
dharma shAstrAs - brief article
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 11:28:21 AM »
A brief article on dharma shAstrAs

shAstrAs are meant to guide and regulate the life of human beings, and not other beings. They prescribe what is good for man and prohibit what is bad for him. To yearn for that which gives happiness, and shun that which causes misery, is quite natural. To acertain the means of happiness of otherwise, one should have intelligence and experience. Since everyone is not endowed with these, our shAstrAs have come into being. It is only through the shAstrAs that we can get to know correctly what the means of happiness are and what the causes of unhappiness.

Happiness is a state of mind and cannot be gauged by the quality or quantioty of external possessions.

Therefore happiness is practically identical with the feeling of rest or peace and this is obtainable by one who faithfully follows the dictates of the shAstrAs. shradDha or faith and dharmA or right action are the cause of happiness.

We the poor mortals, are imcompetent to comment on or find fault with the dharma shAstrAs because their main purpose is the welfare of all human beings. If anyone dared to express his independent opinion of these time-tested shAstrAs it would be of a little avail.

The prime requisite in dharmA is anushTAna (practice or performance, acting in conformity to). shAstrAs should not be a subject for a lecture or an intellectual discussion, but should be a code of conduct. It is better to practice one great principle in life rather than acquire mastery over a hundred texts. The greater the learning a man has, the greater his tendency to be disputatious. Argumentation and ratiocination might enable one to display one's debating skill, one's command of language and gripover facts, butu it helps nobody. It may fetch one his bhukti (food) but it cannot furnish him his mukti (salvation). There is certainly no point in engaging oneself in needless controversies and disputes, or in writing learned treatises decrying other faiths and sects. Such disputes and such treatises generate more heat than light and sour human relationship.

So long as men have full faith in dharmA they are happy. The moment their faith in dharmA and karmA lessens their happiness also lessens. Whenever you find happiness, believe it, that it is on account of faith in dharmA and karmA. Both these (dharmA and karmA) are the very source and substance of happiness.

svadharmA (one's own religion, please also refer Gita C-3, V-35) is like one's own mother, you ought not to insult your own mother and shower praises on another. Do you think that God has favoured you with such high power of iintellect that you can claimto sit in judgement over the intellects of other faiths? the aim of dharmA shAstrAs is to make a Christian a better Christian, a Hindu a better Hindu and so on.

In order to reach the goal of vEdAntA which is AtmajnAnA, it is absolutely necessary to keep the mind stable and in stritct control. There are four generally accepted methods for this:
  • The first is physical - avoidance of all stimulating food, drink and adoption as far as possible, of the vegetaria diet.

• Secondly, moral - the daily exercise of universal love without distinction of any kind towards all beings and the actual rendering of helpful service to them in aspirit of selfless service.

• Thirdly, mental - the cultivation of a habit of retiring into one's own Self. Daily concentration of thought on some simple object held in the highest reverence (Self enquiry, appropriate to Ramana devotees) concentration should be practiced whenever the mind is fresha nd vigorous. The mind should be guarded against falling asleep during the exercise.

• Fourthly, intellectual - enquiry or vichAra should be made everyday and the problems of truth deeply pondered over whenever they occur. Edifying books, enlightened company or satsang, honest and objective discussions with God realised souls and the grace of kripa of the Guru who has had AtmasAkShAtkArA - all these go a long way in the fulfilment of the fourt5h condition.
The goal of vEdAntA is realization of brahman. And brahman is of the nature of eternal knowledge and of pure bliss. brahman is bereft of cause and effect relation.. brahman is nirguna, eternal, ever identical (not changing) and unitary (quotes from vivEkachUDAmani)

(Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati Swamigal, sringEri)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
behaviour of great jnAnis and great devotees
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 07:17:50 PM »
srI bhArati thIrtha swAmigal narrated this very passionately in one of his speeches:

विक्रेतुकामा किला गोपबाला
मुरारिपादार्पितचित्तवृत्तिः ।
दध्य्यादिकं मोहवशादवोचद्
गोविन्द दामोदर माधवेति ॥

vikrErukAmA kila gOpabAlA
murAripAdArpitacittavRyttih
dadhyaadikam mOhavashAdavOcad
gOvinda dAmOdara mAdhavEti

The gOpikAs eked out their living by selling dairly products. They used to house the vessels containing milk and curd in baskets and carry the baskets on their heads. They then enetered street after street shouting, "Milk, curds,...", to attract the attention of their customers. One day, a gOpikA set out to sell the products. Her mind was so engrossed in chanting the divine names of Lord kRushna that she was head shouting, "gOvindA, dAmOdarA, mAdhavA...", instead of "Milk, curds, ...". The observers of this scene were surprised and thought that the girl had taken leave of her senses. However, the mind of that girl was thoroughly engrossed in the thought of her Loprd. Indeed, if we happen to witnmess the behaviour of great jnAnis and great devotees, we too may get the feeling that they are insane.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 07:19:55 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
behaviour of great jnAnis and great devotees - 2
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 07:45:53 PM »
After narrating the incident of gOpi's, swAmijI, continued...

I am now reminded of an incident pertaining to the great soul srI sadAsiva brahmEndrA.

srI sadAsiva brahmEndrA was an exalted jIvanmuktA. People around him who wacthed his behavious thought that he was insane. They proceeded to his guru and reported, "Your disciple has gone mad". To this, the guru replied with grief:

उन्मत्तवत् सञ्चरतीह शिष्यस्तवेति लोकस्य वचांसि शृण्वन् ।
खिद्यन्नुवाचास्य गुरुः पुराहो उन्मत्तता मे नहि तादृशीति ॥

unmattavat  sancaratIha shiShyastavEti lOkasya vacAmsi shRuNvan .
khidyannuvAcAsya guruh purAhO unmattatA mE nahi tAdRushIti ..

I am only wondering when I can also attain that state. Even though I call myself his guru, I am yet to attain that state. He is a great soul." So exalted was the state of srI sadAsiva brahmEndrA in which he was absorbed, Likewise, the gOpikA girl was totally engrossed in her mental chanting. Reciting the divine names is a form of devotion.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Types of devotion
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 08:17:37 PM »
srI swAmiji went on to narrate the different forms of devotion:

Sage sukA expounded the bhAgavata to King parIkShit. sukA's words never deviated from the main topic, viz., divine play of the Lord. There are some who always remember IshwarA even when they are involved in activities like talking, eating, writing and walking. Contemplation on IshwarA is also a form of devotion. Another form of devotion is serving the lotus feet of Lord. There are many devotees who are ever intent on serving bhagavAn.

Some people are very keen on performing divine worship. They would be happy if they were allowed to remain in their worship for hours, without any disturbance. In contrast to this, there are some who are too impatient to sit for even ten minutes more in pUjA than the usual duration. They ask their purOhit to chant the sahasranAmam fast. During the pUjA, their minds think of the engagement they have to attend to after some time. They do not consider it important to focus their attention on pUjA even for a brief while. On the other hand, a true devotee is oblivious of the passage of time whenever he sits for worship. Performing pUjA is one form of devotion.

There are some devotees who do not feel satisfied even after they have prostrated many times before bhagavAn's idol. They keep doing namaskArams, while others may feel, "Why do these people repeatedly prostrate before the idol or the guru?" Offering salutations too is a form of devotion.

There are some who find delight in always functioning  as the servitors of the Lord. Such people would not be keen on performing any other activity. One example of this type of devotion is srI AnjanEyA. His only aim in life was to serve his Master, Lord rAmachandrA.

Some feel like associating with the Lord as a friend. Is this possible? Yes, it is possible. arjunA had the opportunity to have Lord kRushnA as his dear friend, arjunA submitted to Him.

सखेति मत्वा प्रसभं यदुक्तं
हे कृष्ण हे यादव हे सखेति ।

sakhEti matvA prasabham yaduktam
hE kRuShNa hE yAdava hE sakhEti

O, Lord, I dealt with You thinking of You as my friend. Please pardon me for that sin." Lord kRushnA blessed arjunA with shrEyas or higher good.

There are some devotees who wish to offer all their possessions, including themselves, to the Lord. One example of this is Emperor bali to give Him a piece of land covered by three steps. When bali casually agreed, Lord vAmanA covered the entire universe with His first step. The second step covered AkAshA. Immediately, Emperor bali bowed down his head to enable the Lord to place His third step on it. He thereby totally surrendered himself to the Lord. This is Atma nivEdana or self-surrender. If a person does not consider anything as his but considers even himself as belonging to the Lord, it is called Atma nivEdana.

Hearing about the Lord, singing His praise, contemplating Him, serving His lotus feet, worshipping Him, prostrating before Him, serving Him as His slave, moving with Him as His friend and surrendering oneself to Him are the nine forms of devotion spoken of in the shAstrAs. We shall attain shrEyas even if we practice any one of the above types of devotion. As we have already seen, the exmples for the various types of devotion are found in purAnAs such as bhAgavatA. It is our immeasurable good fortune that has enabled us to come across these descriptions.

If we conduct ourselves without being devoted to IshwarA in any manner, our life will serve no purpose whatsoever. All of us know that human birth is very rare to attain. Hence it is but imperative that we resort to a means like devotion to achieve the purpose of human life.

Just summarized for ease -

• shravanam - Listening to the Lord's stories, Leelas and Mahimas.
  • kIrtanam - Singing the glories of the Lord's Name.
  • smaranam - Remembrance of Lord's Name.
  • pAda sEvanam - Service to the Lotus Feet of the Lord.
  • archanam - Worship of the Lord.
  • vandanam - Salutation of the Lord.
  • dAsyam - Master and Servant Relationship like the one between Sri Rama and Hanuman.
  • sakhyam - Companionship of the Lord.
  • Atma nivEdanam - Offering oneself to the Lord in complete self-surrender.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 08:51:14 PM »
This nava vidha bhakti has also been said in Srimad Narayaneeyam.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Importance of shrAdDham
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 11:48:59 PM »
n the Hindu religion, it is the ritual that one performs to pay homage to one’s 'ancestors', especially to one’s dead parents. Conceptually, it is a way for people to express heartfelt gratitude and thanks towards their parents and ancestors, for having helped them to be what they are and praying for their peace. It also can be thought of as a "day of remembrance." It is performed for both the father and mother separately, on the days they became deceased. It performed on the death anniversary or collectively during the Pitru Paksha or Shraaddha paksha (Fortnight of ancestors), right before Sharad Navaratri in autumn

Here isvery lucid explanation by HH srI saccidAnanda sivAbhinava narasimha bhAratI swAmigal of Sringeri on the importance of shrAdDham.

A person who did not have much faith in our shAstrAs but was still attracted by the tremendous magnetic force of HH, aproached him and asked, "What is the use of the shrAdDhA ceremony? Is it noot mere superstition? Is it not absurd to say that by offering some things here in a prescribed way the forefathers are satisfied?

"The rice we offer is still in our presence and yet how coould we say that our forefathers have partaken of it and are hence content? Can absurdity go further?"

HH relied, "You are perfectly right in your doubt. If I shoow you a parallel example where, by observing certain prescribed rules and forms, a person who is not in your presence is satisfied, will you accede that it is not s ver absurd as it at first seems to you?

"Take for example the system of Telegraphic Money Orders. If you conform to those rules and forms and ake the money to the post office, the money you paid lies on the table in your presence, yet the person to whom you intended it to benefit is acualloy benefited. While human agencies can thus satisfy the cravings of people at a distance, is it impossible for divine agencies? Only you should do it as it is prescribed. In the instance of the Telegraphic Money Order also it is so. unless you strictly follow the prescribed rules and forms no effect will be produced.

Similarly your forefathers who had eyes of wisdom foresaw the methods by which they could be pleased after their departure from this world and prescribed  the rites and rules accordingly. If you follow them you would certainly please them. Why do you doubt it?"

The hearer was quite struck with the force of the argument and went away thoroughly changed in his mind.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2012, 01:48:48 PM »
नास्तिक्य-बुद्धि-हतमानस-वारिजातां-स्त्यक्तात्म-कर्मनिचया-न्बहुशो-द्विजाद्यान् ।
कृत्तोत्तमाङ्ग-जततीन्विनिरीक्ष्य-दुःखवार्धो निमिममम्ब सुखे नियुङ्क्ष्व ॥

nAstikya-budDhi-hatamAnasa-vArijAtAm-styaktAtma-karmanicayAn-bahushO-dvijAdyAn
kRuttOttamAnga-jatatInvinirIkShya-duhkhavArdhO nimimamamba sukhE niyunkShva

My mind is sunk is ocean of grief seeing a number of men, learned and the like, who have spoiled their lotus-like heart by a spirit of atheism, who have givenn up their ordained duties and who sport cropped heads.. O' my Mother, yoke it into bliss.

(HH srI saccidAnanda shivAbhinava nRusimha bhAraI swAmigal)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2012, 02:12:43 PM »
ईशोऽस्ति जन्म च विचित्रतरं हि जन्तोर्लोकान्तरं च निजकर्मकृतां सुखापम् ।
पापानि पापफलदाश्च तथैव लोका इत्यम्ब लोकततये वितराशु बुद्धिम् ॥

IshOasti janma ca vicitrataram hi jantOrlOkAntaram ca nijakarmakRutAm kukhApam
pApAni pApaPhaladAshcatathaiva lOkA ityAmba lOkatataye vitaraashu budDhim

O' Mother, quickly vouchsafe people with the knowledge that there is God, that births are varied (according to past deeds) for those who perform their ordained duties, that there is sin and that there are worlds that give (misery) the results of the sins committed.

(HH srI saccidAnanda shivAbhinava nRusimha bhAraI swAmigal)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
O' Mother!
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2012, 02:44:30 PM »
यत्रैव यत्रैव मनो मदीयं तत्रैव तत्रैव तव स्वरूपम् ।
यत्रैव यत्रैव शिरो मदीयम् तत्रैव तत्रैव पदद्वयं ते ॥

yatraiva yatraiva manO madIyam tatraiva tatraiva tava svarUpam
yatraiva yatraiva shirO madIyam tatraiva tatraiva  padadvayam te

O' Mother! wherever my restless mind travels your form appears there
And wherever my head bows there appears your lotus feet.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2012, 05:47:14 PM »
नरत्वं देवत्वं नगवनमृगत्वं मशकता
पशुत्वं कीटत्वं भवतु विहगत्वादि जननम् ।
सदा त्वत्पादाब्ज स्मरण परमानन्दलहरी
विहारासक्तं चेत् हृदयमिह किंतेन वपुषा ॥

naratvam devatvam nagavanamRugatvam mashakatA
pashutvam kItatvam bhavatu vihagatvAdi jananam
sadA tvatpAdAmbu smanaram paramAnandalaharI
vihArAsaktam cet hRudayamiha kimtena vapuShA

Let me be born as a man, as a god, as a bird, as a monkey which jumps from tree to tree, as mosquito, or even as a worm. I do not decline any janmA if only it is given to me to enjoy the bliss of contemplating the Lotus Feet of srI paramEshwarA. What does it matter which form the body takes?

(shivAnanda laharI, Adi shankarA)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2012, 06:56:43 PM »
Sivananda Lahari is full of bhakti rasa, unlike Sri Soundarya Lahari which is full of mantra and tantras.

In another verse Sri Sankara askas. ( I am a sannyasi, what can I give it you? I can give only my mind, which is running here
there like a monkey. Please take this and keep this monkey under your control.

Arunachala Siva.