Author Topic: Quotes from Shankaracharya's  (Read 114086 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Significance of Dharma
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »
Dharmo Rakshathi Rakshithaha

"If we protect Dharma, Dharma will protect us"

Protection of Dharma does not mean mere adoration of Dharma. It is the effort of putting the principles of Dharma into practice. Every one of us desires supreme happiness not only in this birth but also in subsequent births or Janmas. No one will wish to have sufferings or sorrow in any birth.

"Dharma grants happiness and peace. Adharma makes life miserable with agony and sorrow," says our Sastra.

What is the true meaning or significance of Dharma?

Dharma means: Helping the poor and the needy. Dharma means: Worshipping and obeying God. Dharma means: To be in the company of persons endowed with purity and virtues. Dharma means: Listening and understanding matters that reflect divine values and virtues. Dharma teaches us to avoid avarice and to eschew the desire to possess others' wealth. Dharma is Ahimsa. It is merciful nature not to harm anyone through word, deed or mind at any time. Humanity should imbibe and always remember this virtue: Just like me, others too feel joy and sorrow. If someone abuses or hurts me, it pains. It is in the same way the other person will also suffer, if I abuse him. Therefore what I do not wish to happen to me, should not happen to others also.

These values and virtues are universal.

"Athmanah prathikoolani pareshaam na samaachareth"

are the words of guidance from Sastras on these virtues.

"Don't do to others what is harmful to you" is the meaning of the above verse.

Violence is a great sin. Non-violence is the path of Dharma. If we wish to live in peace, happiness and harmony, we should live with love and faith.

Peace will not be there, where lust and anger dwells. Only when we drop our lust and anger, we would be able to live with true happiness and in peace.

We are all entering into a New Century and into a Millennium. The priority of our life should be to practice Dharma.

For ages, our sacred country India, has been in the task of teaching and preaching the message of peace or shanti to the world.

We should continue the task, with more commitment in the New Century spreading the message of Love, Peace and Harmony throughout the world.

We require God's grace in all our thoughts and deeds. Therefore we must pray to God with devotion, whenever we start any new activity.

Our Ego and selfishness should be totally dropped, as Ego is the root cause of our evil deeds. Hence everyone should function totally devoid of Ego or "Ahankara".

All the wisdom, capabilities and power that we possess are mercifully granted to us by God. Let us take an Oath "to use all our wisdom, capabilities and power in the service of God and in the service of humanity"

I bless one and all to follow Dharma and to prosper in life and to live with peace, progress, prosperity and happiness.

(Bharati Theertha Swamigal)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:45:38 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Quotes from Shankaracharya's
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »
Thanks Mr.Nagaraj for posting this piece on Dharma .I have copied - pasted it on the other thread for discussion on the same as Dharma is a too complicated Topic and there is lot of confusion on what is Dharma today . So members share the views on the same in the Other thread and I have given an intro to that discussion .
Om Peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 02:26:27 PM »
For those who have withdrawn their intellect from external objects, who have won the grace of a realised Guru and whose mind has attained serenity, Self-realisation occurs without delay.- Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Nagaraj

• View Profile
For a Sadhaka
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 05:30:29 PM »
A Brahmachari lived as a disciple in the hermitage of a great enlightened Yogi. His intention was to become an adept at Yoga and spent most of his time in the bliss of Nirvikalpa Samadhi. One day the Yogi went out, telling his disciple that he could be back after a few days. That evening, the Brahmachari proceeded to the river to fetch water. There, he beheld a teenaged girl sobbing. He asked her what her trouble was.

She said, "I belong to a village situated a couple of miles away, on the other side of the river. My friend and I set out early this morning to attend a function at a village on this side. On our way back, we stopped at a grove nearby. A butterfly caught my attention. I felt a desire to hold it in my hand and so went to the flower where it was perched. It took off and eluded my grasp. I followed it till it sat on another plant. Again, I tried to catch it but failed. Chasing it unsuccessfully in this fashion, I was soon out of the range of sight of my friends. After some time, I gave up and, feeling tired, sat down.

"Without intending to, I fell asleep. I must have slept for over an hour. When I woke up, I found that the sun had set. I ran to where my friends had been sitting but found none there. I searched the region but could not locate them. My guess is that after waiting for some time, they called out to me. They were unaware that I had gone after a butterfly. But they knew that I easily get homesick. So, presuming that I must have proceeded on my own to reach home early, they continued on their return journey. This is what I conjecture must have happened. For my part, the thought of having been left behind frightened me. I realised that it was too late for me to proceed towards home. Further, when I rushed back to the river, the boatman was nowhere to be seen. He must have gone home. It is now getting dark and obviously I cannot spend the night here. I cannot go home either. hence, I am feeling helpless and miserable."

The Brahmachari felt pity for her. He told her, "You can spend the night at the hermitage where I live and leave early tomorrow morning." The girl appeared thankful but wary, "Who all stay at the hermitage?", she asked, "My Guru and myself", replied the Brahmachari.  "But at present, my Guru has gone elsewhere and shall be back only after a few days." The girl said, "In that case, will be proper for me to come there? I have my doubts." The Brahmachari laughed and declared, "Have no fear. I have vowed to be a life-long celibate. Carnal desires have no place in my mind and my dispassion is unshakable. Even the Apsara Urvashi cannot tempt me. So, you can come with me without any hesitation." "Thank you very much for offering to help me", responded the girl and readily accompanied him.

At the hermitage, he offered her fruits. He then told her, "Spend the night in the sole room available, while I sleep outside, in the open." She expressed her gratitude to him again and closed the door behind her.  The Brahmachari spread his mat of straw on the ground and lay down to sleep. In half an hour, it started to drizzle. The Brahmachari woke up and knocked at the door. The girl opened it. He informed her that as it was drizzling, he wished to sleep inside. He told her to move her straw bed to one side of the room and set up his mat on the other side. He lay down facing away from her.

In minutes, the drizzles turned into a downpour. The frequent flashes of lightning clearly visible through the window near the Brahmachari prevented him from falling asleep. So he turned his face away from the window. He could now see the girl and noticed that she was shivering. "Poor girl, she has had a bad day and now cannot even get a good night's sleep. Let me help her", he thought. He tapped her on her shoulder and said, "I have a blanket. Let us share it." He did not give her the blanket and remain without one because he felt, "It is getting increasingly cold. Without a blanket, I cannot sleep. If I remain awake tonight, I will feel sleepy in the morning and my meditation will suffer. Surely, tomorrow's meditation is more important than the inconvinience of sleeping by the side of this girl. In any case, her body is no more tempting to me than a log of wood." The girl appeared suprised at the Brahmachari's offer but raised no objection. So, they were soon sharing a blanket.

After some time of contact with the girl's body, the Brahmachari felt the stirring of lustful thoughts. He was, however, not perturbed. He told himself. "Many are the occasions when I have felt hungry and desired to eat the fruit next to me but have comfortably abstained from doing so. Likewise, there have been times when anger has arisen in my mind. Yet, I have not only abstained from speaking harshly but have also remained silent. Surely, these sexual thoughts cannot impel me to do anything improper." However, in minutes, the carnal thoughts became intense. Impelled by a powerful longing to cohabit with the girl, he put his arm around her.

The moment he did so, he had the shock of his life. In her place, he found his Guru. For a few seconds, the Brahmachari remained too dazed to move a muscle. He then hurriedly got up and prostrated at the feet of his Guru, his face red with embarrassment. The Yogi told him, "I repeatedly told you that as you have not become a Jivanmukta, you should not take your Brahmacharyam for granted. However, my words did not sink into you. This is because you were sure that you could not be tempted. Trying a different track, I cautioned you by telling you the tale of a group of monkeys who decided to observe a fast on Ekadashi. Do you remember?" On hearing his Guru's words, the story that the Yogi told him readily came to the Brahmachari's mind.

To be continued...

(As told by Sri Abhinava Vidyatheertha Swamigal)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Daya, Daana, Daama
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »
I chanced to see Shankara TV, today and was surprised, Sri Bharatahi Theertha Swamigal Acharya narrated the story given in Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, about Daanam, offerings. I was caught in doubts, about my posts, if i may be communicating anything wrong, and so forth. But as a grace, he confirmed my belief and understanding about the thoughts expressed on Dharma.

the story goes as follows:

In Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, the Asuras, Devas and Suras(humans) were very dissatisfied even though they had everything in abundance, the Devas had lot of money and enjoyments, the Asuras were doing good winning a lot of kingdoms, and the Suras(humans) were also harvesting nice crops. They all felt discontent and representatives of Asura, Devas and Suras went to Brahma and prayed for salvation from their wretchedness and then Brahma uttered three letters Da, Da, Da and vanished. The Asuras, Suras and Devas were confused as to what the words of Brahma meant! Then they returned back to their homes and began to ponder and contemplate on the Holy words of Brahma. And then finally they understood what it meant.

• For Asuras, 'Da' meant Daya - to show Compassion and stop harassing people. Asuras are always short of Daya, compassion.
  • For Suras, 'Da' meant 'Daana' - to give, to share what they have amongst fellow human beings. Humans are always short of Giving.
  • For Devas, 'Da' menat 'Daama' - to be content(to show restraint) - to be happy with what ever they have and not crave for more of the same luxuries. Devas are always short of restraint

Asuras, Suras and Devas had grown discontent because, they became greedy, inhuman and full of pride. and by this they realised the truth of their nature.

Those days, we have read in puranas that Asuras used to drop meat in yajnas and homas and spoil the tapas of Sadhus. Today it is our minds that drop in the fowl thoughts and desires that stop us from our performance of Tapas.

In these days,

Asuras, Suras and Devas are not separate! The Devas (goodness) and Asuras(Badness) are within ourselves and all the good and bad fight within ourselves, we Suras, should be wise and follow all the three upadesa of Brahma - Da Da Da - Daya, Daana and Daama

All is within oneself, The Angel, the Devil, the Human.

All these are no way different from the goal that is aspired, that is liberation. One should be just awake, always, and be ready to help anybody on the way, it is not wisdom to to assume, it is not required, and just pass by somebody who may require help and especially when one can and is capable of helping in any manner.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »
Among the contributory factors of liberation, devotion stands supreme, and it is the search for one's own true nature that is meant by devotion. - Adi Shankara

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 01:56:07 PM »
Dear Atmavichar,

This is exactly what Sri Bhagavan said: True devotion is always to be in ATMA NISHTA.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 06:05:06 PM »
 The tendency to neglect the doctrine that Vedantic Study is intended only for the Competent is responsible for the confused thinking of modern days . Even for simple crafts , such as masonry or carpentry , a preliminary course of training is required before a person is allowed to handle the instruments .
But in the field of Brahma - Vidya , the science of the Self , the highest and the most difficult of all the sciences , everyone thinks himself competent and entitled to study the system of Advaita and even to sit in judgement over it . This attitude must go and must be replaced by earnest endeavour to secure first the necessary competence .

H.H.Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati Mahaswamigal , Sringeri Acharya

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 08:09:16 AM »
The intrinsic worth of anything is always there whether one recognises it or not. A Diamond remains a diamond whether you accept or not. Similar is the case with Sanatana Dharma. - Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

When Sri Sankara at the age of 8 went to Narmada valley to meet his Guru, Govinda Bhagavadpada and when the latter asked:
Who are you?, he answered in Verses titled Dasasloki. I consider this as one of the most important slokas of Sri Sankara, something
on the lines of Who am I?, which Sri Bhagavan wrote later. I shall give the slokas later. This booklet has been published by Sri
Ramakrishna Math.

When later, Sri Sankara asked Hastamalaka, Who are You?, Hastamalaka replied in the same manner.

Arunachala Siva.   

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 08:53:52 PM »
Fools argue endlessly; skeptics doubt and criticize endlessly; a wise seeker abides by the instructions imparted by a realised Guru and gets liberated at the earliest. - Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 07:16:38 AM »
One who cultivates solitude, eats lightly, and has controlled his speech, body and mind, and is ever intent on serving his Guru, becomes fit for Self-realisation.- Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Act your part with dedication to God
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 08:59:07 AM »
For all living beings in this world, pleasure and sorrow alternate according to their karmA, that is, punyA and pApA. Man does not refrain from karma even for a moment. His vasanas from previous births goad him into doing good or bad acts through speech, mind and body, knowingly or unknowingly.At the time of fruition of his karma, he experiences hapiness from good karmA and sorrow from bad karmA through speech, mind and body.

Not understanding the nature of this cycle, he mistakenly concludes that pleasure is caused by friends and pains by foes.

Sri Shankara BhagavatpAdAl describes this thus:

हेतुः कर्मैव लोके सुखतदितरयोरेवमज्ञोऽविदित्वा मित्रं वा शुतुरित्थं व्यवहरति मृषा

hetuh karmaiva lOkE sukhataditarayOrEvamajnyOaviditvaa mitram vA shutrurit-Tham vyavaharati mruShaa

From this, it must be clear that it is one'sown karmA that becomes the cause of one'sjoy and sorrow.

There is no more point. karmA, no doubt, creates bondage, but, performed with dedication to God, it leaves no bondage.

यज्ञार्थात्कर्मणोऽन्यत्र लोकोऽयं कर्मबन्धनः
तदर्थं कर्म कौन्तेय मुक्तसंगः समाचर ॥

yajnyArthAtkarmanOanyatra lOkOayam karmabandhanah
tadartham karma kauntEya muktasangah samAchara

Here yajna means Ishwara that is, whoever keeps performing prescribed karmA wihout ego, in a spirit of dedication to God, atains purity of mind and shreyas performs their karmA with dedication to Ishwara and attain their well being.

(Bharathi Theertha Swamigal)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Bhakti
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 09:27:07 PM »
मोक्षकारण सामग्र्यां भक्तिरेव गरीयसी ।
स्वस्वरूपानुसन्धानं भक्तिरित्यभिधीयते ॥ ३१ ॥

mOkSakAraNa sAmagryAm bhaktirEva garIyasI
svasvarUpAnusandhAnam bhaktirityabhidhIyate (31)

Among the means and conditions necessary for liberation,
devotion (bhakti) alone is supreme. A constant contemplation of
one‘s own Real Nature is called devotion.

(Vivekachoodamani, Adi Shankaracharya)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:50:27 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 11:18:39 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Sri  Bhagavan also says the same thing in His answer to Question No, 18 of M. Sivapraksam Pillai.

Brother Lawrence calls it as - the practice of the presence of god.   

Arunachala Siva.