Author Topic: Quotes from Shankaracharya's  (Read 114093 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Quotes from Shankaracharya's
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:23:29 AM »
I would like to open a new thread to share quotes from all Shankarachara's - Adi Shankaracharya , Kanchi Shankaracharaya's and Sringeri Shankaracharya's . The quotes will be primarily related to Advaita , Atma Jnana , Bhakti but sometimes also have inputs related to Dharma

Starting with the first quote from Sri Bharati Teertha Mahaswamigal : I suggest people to just read and reflect on the same and not engage in discussions about it .Those who have quotes from the above acharyas may feel free to share the same here .
By the way discussions on the quotes here can be carried in rough note book open forum.

An arrow set on the bow string, and ready to be discharged may well be withheld. Similarly, past actions (sanchita karma) that are ready to produce reactions, are rendered barren by the power of Atma Jnana of a Jnani. Hence when the body of the knower of Truth falls, there shall be no further births.
- Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:56:40 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Re: Quotes from Shankaracharya's
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:00:22 PM »
My favorite from Sankara in Brahma Jnanavalee mala

Ghatkutyaadikam sarvam mrittika maatram eva
Tadvad brahma jagat sarvam ithi Vedanta dindima

Pot, wall are all Mud alone (meaning they are names and forms of Mud alone and names and forms never exist separate from the reality). Similarly the world is Brahman alone – this is what Vedanta is telling at the top of its voice.

Brahma Satyam Jagan mithya jeevo brahmaiva na parah
Anena vedhyam sat shaastram ithi Vedanta dindima

Brahman is the ultimate reality, world is an illusion seen in Brahman. The individualistic jeeva or Self (who finds himself as part of the whole world) is Brahman alone & not different from Brahman. By knowing this, the eternal reality of Truth or Existence according to the scriptures is known – so says the Vedanta.
Salutations to Bhagawan

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 01:15:50 PM »
"Guru" does not mean a person, or a mortal being but denotes a principle, an activating principle, a subliming force that is ever present, ever conscious, ever luminous, ever protecting and much above anybody's conception. - Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal.
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 02:01:04 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

Many ancient scriptures say that Prarabdha Karma has to be suffered. It is like an arrow that has left the bow string. Now
what is the position? If someone is a Brahma Jnani, then He has no body at all. Then to which lakshyam the arrow hit?
Suppose there is a cow. It hits the cow. Suppose there is no cow at all (no body - as in the case of a Brahma Jnani), then
the arrow should simply fall on the ground.

The absence of Prarabdha Karma has been highlighted only  by Sri Sankara and Sri Bhgagavan.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 02:42:34 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

Many ancient scriptures say that Prarabdha Karma has to be suffered. It is like an arrow that has left the bow string. Now
what is the position? If someone is a Brahma Jnani, then He has no body at all. Then to which lakshyam the arrow hit?
Suppose there is a cow. It hits the cow. Suppose there is no cow at all (no body - as in the case of a Brahma Jnani), then
the arrow should simply fall on the ground.

The absence of Prarabdha Karma has been highlighted only  by Sri Sankara and Sri Bhgagavan.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramaniam Sir

Thanks for your inputs .
I would request you to post your comments / discussion in the rough note book thread and I want this place to be only for the comments of all the Shankaracharya's past and present minus the comments and discussions and I have mentioned that above in my first post itself . This is done so that people have access to the original post for their own reflection without having to search through various posts to find the quotes of the Acharyas .
By the way here Sringeri Acharya has mentioned about "Sanchita Karma" and not "Prarabdha Karma".
So surely follow up your comments on this quote or any other quote in the rough note book forum thread and we can  have our discussions there .
Om Peace .

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 03:02:16 PM »
Dear Sanjay,

I agree with you. But this Rough Note Book and
Fair Note Book, confuses many. Anyone who has got an answer would immediately post then and there itself.

Arunachala Siva,   

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 06:23:31 PM »
When a devotee, though not qualified to attain Atmajnana directly, completely surrenders to the Lord, the Lord takes care of him and bestows him with Atmajnana. There is no doubt about this. - Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 06:49:05 PM »
Dear Atmavihar,

Once Sri Bhagavan was asked and He replied:

Self Inquiry may help you in Self Realization.

But Grace and Self Inquiry shall definitely help you in Self realization.

Sometimes, grace alone will take you Self Realization.

Grace come with total self surrender.

Arunachala Siva. 

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 10:04:28 AM »
When man begins to realise the presence of the same Atman in all living beings, malice towards people and other beings starts disappearing. Compassion dawns. - Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiga[/b]l

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 11:25:54 AM »
Krishna(Atmavichar):
Very nice to start a thread for Sri SankarachAryA's sayings.I see that your request clearly marked in Red is getting ignored and this is a total lack of discipline.I have added my own here with the  Following suggestion.Please open two threads:1 Sri Sankaracharya's Sayings.2.Sri Sankaracharya-Comments.
All comments may be added in the comments column only..
You may infact copy all that you have posted onto a Fresh thread and remove this thread after the other contributors ,in case they choose to move their Quotations as well.
Do insist on this discipline until it gets understood.
Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 11:30:31 AM »
Ravi

Thanks for ur inputs .I will open another thread where people can comment and discuss on the quotes in this thread . That is a good idea .

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 11:33:53 AM »
Krishna(Atmavichar),
Please transfer all your posts here to a fresh thread as well so that the Original intent gets realized;please create 2 Threads.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Mathruka Panchakam
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »
i'd like to contribute to this thread, with Bhagavatpaadaal's not much known work, known as Mathruka Panchakam that very openly conveys the heart of Bhagavatpaadaal, which is as soft of a flower. Ramanar has said somewhere that a Guru is as soft as a pushpam and as hard as a diamond, such is the mystery of Self. Bhagavatpaadaal is commonly known as a great intellect and so on, but they fail to notice his heart which is so very soft, it is his compassion for the children of posterity that he established Math's and he composed so many stotras, and many other works, which even today, people go about murmuring in the mouth either knowingly or unknowingly, this is the heart of this country.

If any body really can be called as KARUNANIDHI, (reservoir of empathy or compassion) it is Sri Bhagavatpaadal.

I have heard in so many places, converse, that Bhagavan did not shead a single tear when his mother passed away, such was his Sthithi, Nishtai, etc... This is not the aspect that is to be celebrated, i mean, what makes us think that Mother Azhagamaal's demise did not trouble Bhagavan even a little bit. Jivanmuktas have repeatedly expressed that they are not different from us, and that they see and experience the same world as us, but there is only one difference, that is they know, and others do not know. It could be quite true to even say, Sri Ramar had cried more than Mother Sita. Just stressing the importance of being sensitive. Emotions are not bad, they are not to be suppressed, only thing is that they should not be in control of us, but we have to be in control of emotions.

aasthaam tavaddeyam prasoothi samaye durvara soola vyadha,
nairuchyam thanu soshanam malamayee sayya cha samvatsaree,
ekasyapi na garbha bara bharana klesasya yasya kshmo dhathum,
nishkruthi  munnathopi thanaya tasya janyai nama.

Oh mother mine,
With clenched teeth bore thou the excruciating pain,
When I was born to you,
Shared thou the bed made dirty by me for an year,
And thine body became thin and painful,
During those nine months that you bore me,
For all these in return,
Oh mother dearest,
I can never compensate,
Even by my becoming great.

gurukulamupasruthya swapnakaale thu drushtwa,
yathi samuchitha vesham praarudho maam twamuchai
gurukulamadha  sarva prarudathe samaksham
sapadhi charanayosthe mathurasthu pranaama.

Clad in a dress of a sanyasin,
You saw me in my teacher’s school,
In your dream and wept,
And rushed thither,
Smothered, embraced and fondled me, Oh mother mine,
And all the teachers and students wept with you dear,
What could I do,
Except falling at your feet,
And offering my salutations.

ambethi thathethi shivethi tasmin,
prasoothikale yadavocha uchai,
krishnethi govinda hare mukunde tyaho,
janye rachito ayamanjali.

Oh mother mine,
Crying thou shouted in pain,
During thine hard labour,
“Oh mother, Oh father,
Oh God Shiva,
Oh Lord Krishna,
Oh Lord of all, Govinda,
Oh Hari and Oh God Mukunda,”
But in return,
Oh my mother dearest.
I can give you but humble prostrations.

na dattam mathasthe marana samaye thoyamapi vaa,
swadhaa vaa no dheyaa maranadivase sraadha vidhina
na japtho mathasthe marana samaye tharaka manu,
akale samprapthe mayi kuru dhayaam matharathulaam.

Neither did I give you water at thine time of death,
Neither did I offer oblations to thee to help thine journey of death,
And neither did I chant the name of Rama in thine ear,
Oh Mother supreme, pardon me for these lapses with compassion,
For I have arrived here late to attend to those.

mukthaa manisthvam, nayanam mamethi,
rajethi jeevethi chiram sthutha thwam,
ithyuktha vathya vaachi mathaa,
dadamyaham thandulamesh shulkam.

Long live,
Oh, pearl mine,
Oh jewel mine,
Oh my dearest eyes,
Oh mine prince dearest,
And oh my soul of soul,
Sang thou to me,
But in return of that all,
Oh my mother dearest.
I give you but dry rice in your mouth.

If any body requires this or any shlokas in Devanagari, i could type it out at request, kindly let me know.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 07:06:35 PM »
Religion does not fetter man's free-will. It leaves him quite free to act, but tells him at the same time what is good for him and what is not. The responsibility is entirely and solely his. He cannot escape it by blaming fate, for fate is of his own making, nor by blaming God, for he is but the dispenser of fruits in accordance with the merits of actions. You are the master of your own destiny. It is for you to make it, to better it or to mar it. This is your privilege. This is your responsibility. - Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati Mahaswamiji , Sringeri Acharya

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 09:13:40 AM »
Fools argue endlessly; skeptics doubt and criticize endlessly; a wise seeker abides by the instructions imparted by a realised Guru and gets liberated at the earliest. - Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal