Author Topic: Being introduced to the teachings of Bhagavan  (Read 2150 times)

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
Being introduced to the teachings of Bhagavan
« on: September 24, 2012, 09:21:52 PM »
dear friends,
I want to make a post giving how I was introduced to the teachings of Bhagavan and will request other devotees to also share their experiences as to how they were introduced to the teachings of Bhagavan .
My parents used to visit Ramanashramam regularly and we used to live in the ashram guesthouse.
During one of the visits -it was 1985 and I was about sixteen not knowing about the teachings of Bhagavan.
Prior to our visit, the boss  of my uncle who worked in BARC then ,asked us to buy a book'Talks with Sri RAmana MAharshi' from the ashram book depot.
In the guesthouse having nothing else to do at  that time , I went through the book.I was amazed , at the continued emphasis of Bhagavan on 'who am I' throughout the book .
More than 27 years have passed since then and it is only now that I have got a decent idea as to how to practice self enquiry .Most of this period was spent  on and off  challenging each thought with 'who am I' interspersed with Mantra Japa and only now I am   trying to hold on to the 'I thought' or more appropriately 'I feeling'.
It is a beginning of a journey which I don't know when it will end but I do suppose we can be assured that Bhagavan  will be with us on this journey guiding us through till the journey's end.
I would like other devotees to share their  experiences if possible.
Thanks and regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Being introduced to the teachings of Bhagavan
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 07:59:30 AM »
Dear Anand,

My case was quite peculiar. Though I had read Sri Bhagvan's teachings and reminiscences right from 1990,
a serious involvement came in 2005, when I had nervous break down and anxiety neurosis. I was going to
psychiatrist and was practically lying in bed. At that time, I started re-reading Sri Bhagavan's teachings and
very sincerely prayed to Him to get me out of the rut. In 2006, I became alright. Thus Sri Bhagavan came to be
in me permanently.

Arunachala Siva.     

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:59:50 AM »
My story is somewhat like Subramanian sirs. When my son was in ICU for 3.5 months, I was in mental breakdown and no sleep for months. Fear of future, fear of everything gripped me. And now profusely thank that Supreme reality, which made me come this way. Since then, I never ever had those again. When the knowledge by logic and brain about that Supreme is so powerful, I cant imagine what the experience will be.

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »
My interest in Bhawan and his teachings started from 1999  onwards when I used to visit Thiruvanamalai along with some of my Yoga friends for a Yoga retreat during weekends . First we used to go in big groups ,then it was small groups and later only me and my closest friend used to visit Thiruvanamalai during weekends . My last visit was in Dec 2009 and after which I never visiting again Thiruvanamalai and lost the interest also . Currently I like to spend more time in solitude doing my own sadhana which is primarily Yoga Sadhana and reading spiritual books , listening to spiritual talks and spiritual journal writing . If at all I like to visit any place , it is Rishikesh to sit by the banks of Mother Ganga and spend time in solitude there .I do not know how to describe my relationship with Bhagwan Ramana as I have been influenced by the teachings of various teachers from various disciplines like Yoga , Classical Advaita , Self Enquiry path etc .
But I got answers to many of my doubts after reading the book "Living by the Words of Bhagwan" by David Godman and for me the teaching of Bhagwan that impressed me most and that I always use as a Maha Mantra is " Mind your Business and attend to you what you came here for " . Bhagwan used this powerful statement to remind people in Ramanasharm  who complained to him about the ways by which the ashram was being run by Chinnaswamy .
I use this statement for myself when I try to find fault with others or want to complain about others or get upset about others behavior thinking why people behave like this .  Whenever my mind gets bit agitated due to the above reasons I use Bhagwan's Maha Mantra -"Mind Your Business " and this Maha Mantra has helped me to stop being too reactive and to move ahead without getting trapped in stories and drama about others etc . Of course I Wont say that I am very successful in this but it is an ongoing sadhana for me .
Currently this is my only Sadhana that I practice with respect to Bhagwan's teachings .However I have kept as an ongoing project to read Bhagwan's Tamil Works slowly but steadily whenever I get time .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 01:44:36 PM »
In the year 2003, I got frustrated and worst time in my life , due to my boss(professor) and also my housebuiling loan was blocked.
at France.I just prayed to Sri Ramana Photo in my purse . Since Jan.2004 All the problems get neutralised by Sri Bagavan  Ramana Maharishi. When  I was residing in Pondicherry, I used to go to Thiruannamalai and do girivalam . Now also every 2 or 3 years i go to Ramana Ashramam and sit there.Skanda ashramam , Virupaksha kugai and Gugai Namashivaiyar temple  i Visit and sit there . I chant always Arunachala Shiva , Arunachala Shiva, Arunachala with Bagavan visage in my mind. I get sometimes inner peace and keep silent .  Regarding Self Enquiry I ask Who am I ? and myself reply in my mind I am the body, afterwards I ask question  Who asks this question, it is me and then my mind begins wanders here and there .
I hear Ilaiya Raja's Guru Ramana Geetham, Rajavin Ramana Malai,  and Arule Ramana (Arunachala Aksharamanamalai by Unni Krishnan Superb song)  and chanting of Arunachala Shiva by Selvi Saindavi .

Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 01:51:31 PM »
I also want to add that one teaching of Bhagawan that gets me to instant peace in very stressful situations is "Summa Iru"... Nothing more powerful I guess.

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »
Quotde from Sri Anand Sundaram:
“It is a beginning of a journey which I don't know when it will end but I do suppose we can be assured that Bhagavan  will be with us on this journey guiding us through till the journey's end.”

Dear Sri Anand Sundaram,

Yes. By why do you only suppose, why not firm conviction ? If love for Him and His Wondrous Path of Self-Attention is kindled in our heart, there is the absolute certainty that He will be with us on this inner journey guiding us step by step, and He will of course be there when we falter, or lose patience and courage and become despondent.
Dear Sri Anand, use of word ‘suppose’ elicited my response.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
 Anil

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 02:48:43 AM »
Dear Anand Sundaram,friends,

My journey started 5 years ago,but i was reading only New Age books,how to do this,and how to materialise that,etc. And,soon,i saw that,that kind of stuff cannot satisfy me,i was searching something more,but wasnt sure exactly what. I came across the term realisation,and was attracted to that,but everything i found was somehow,more occult,strange,i saw that i cannot trust everyone who call himself a Guru.
 Infact,first Guru which i saw was Bhagavan Ramana,on some site,i think Realisation.org. I remember that i was looking His picture and thinking, This is the man whom i can trust. He made some impresion on me. But i could not understand nothing of His teachings. I searched more,and found Osho and Swami Vivekananda. They made great impact on my spiritual life. Then i came back to Ramana,and began to understand Him,and doing inquiry,and in the mean time found Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj. So,that is my story. :)

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 03:01:36 AM »

Very interesting and inspiring to read the many ways one reaches a Guru.

Bhagawan has always been in my life since my maternal grandfather, my parents and my uncle are all ardent followers. Visits to Arunachala were often.

However, though I had read some of the devotee accounts and Who am I, it didn't sink in. After nearly half a lifetime, at age 40, it took a personal guru in the form of our Chinmaya mission Acharya to bring me back to the path and inspire me. Now, with the twin effects of this guru who I believe is a Jeevanmuktha and Nochur-ji's beautiful articulation of Vedantic texts based on Bhagawan's teachings that have created a remarkable change. Now, I am feeling the effects of both jnana marga and bhakthi marga in the form of guru bhakthi to Bhagawan and my acharya. Feeling blessed.

Pranam,
Deepa

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 07:37:45 AM »
Like a lot of people, faced with problems(child's health issues) and feeling very helpless, I was looking for an answer. I started learning vedanta in Chinmaya mission. But my devotion for Bhagavan came out of nowhere, with a strong urge to learn his teachings. Only reason I can think of is, my visit to Tiruvannamalai temple a few years before then, it was just to visit the Lord Siva temple, not knowing anything else about the place or Bhagavan! And also I had been looking for a Guru.

In the first discourse of Sri Nochurji that I was listening to, a mother tells her daughter -
நான் ஷாஷ்வதம் இல்லை. இவர் தான் ஷாஷ்வதம், இவர்  கையை பிடிச்சிகோ.
which means, "I am not permanent. He(Bhagavan) is permanent, hold on to him".

It felt like the message was addressed to me! After feeling the grace of Bhagavan, to me He represents God, Guru and Self. By Bhagavan's grace my child is doing much better now.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya