Author Topic: english speaker need help in understanding words in different language.  (Read 1075 times)

right2be

• View Profile
Hello,

I am a native english speaker, when i try to find definitions on alot of words with google i come across alot of meanings for one word.
There are many words i come across which i do not understand but a few such words are:

- Sadhana
- Tapas
- ezhum idam
- Sat-Chit-Anadam
- Narayana

and many more words that i come across which do not understand the meaning of. What language is this exactly, i am not even sure, is it Hindi ? I will not post a topic whenever i do not know what something means and ask for a definition, but i ask if anybody knows a reliable online dictionary which i may refer to for any interpretations so i may understand better in time.

Thank you,
ivac_d

latha

• View Profile
Re: english speaker need help in understanding words in different language.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 07:31:20 AM »
Dear ivac_dji,

You wanted to know the meaning of the following words. I will give my understanding and others are welcome to add or correct.
- Sadhana
   Spiritual practice, For example, meditation, chanting, contemplation on teachings, self-enquiry etc
- Tapas
   can simply mean someone practicing austerities.
    Bhagavan's  definition  given to Ganapati Muni is
    "If you enquire and observe where this I-thought arises from, the mind gets absorbed in it. That is tapas . While performing mantra japa if you enquire and observe where the sound of the mantra arises from, the mind gets absorbed in it. That is tapas."
- ezhum idam
    source or originating place
- Sat-Chit-Anadam
    Sat Chit Ananda is our true nature.  It can be translated as Sat meaning Truth, Chit meaning Consciousness and Ananda meaning Bliss.
- Narayana
   is the name of a Hindu deity.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:16:52 AM »
Narayana also means as follows:

Ayana means Abode/residence, Nara means beings, therefore Narayana also means the abode/residence of all beings. Which conveys the Atma Tatva, It is in Self, everything is. In Him everything rests.

Naar also means water, therefore, Narayana also means He or that who/which resides or lay in the waters. here, Water or Nar signifies the cosmic ocean,  where He is the heart of the whole unlimited cosmic ocean.

Naar also means spirituality as well, therefore Narayana also means, that which is the home of all divinity, spirituality, etc..

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 09:40:46 AM »
Thank you both for your interpretations. Are these words Hindi or words of another language ?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 11:01:27 AM »
Dear ivac-d.

All these are Sanskrit words,
Ezhum idam is Tamizh.

Ezhum - rising; idam place.

It means the mind that rises from the place (the Self).
Or, the placed  from where the mind rises!   

Arunachala Siva.