Author Topic: What is pranayama ?  (Read 2132 times)

right2be

• View Profile
What is pranayama ?
« on: September 19, 2012, 05:45:03 AM »
Hello,

I would just like to ask what is pranayama, is this something Sri ramana maharshi praised or discouraged people to learn ? And does it help one in retracing his steps back to the self ? And what would be the best way to begin practice of pranayama.

I am asking a questions people may find pointless to answer but I do not have any friends which have any knowledge in self realization or spirituality and am not of a descent which I have had the opportunity of learning such knowledge while growing up. For this reason I am very grateful for anybody to help inform me and if not I am grateful all the same as somehow I will find out.

Thank you

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: What is pranayama ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:36:27 AM »
ivac,
I warmly recommend Swami Vivekananda's 'rAja Yoga' which may answer your queries and doubts that you may possibly have.Here is an excerpt from this book:
"Anything that is secret and mysterious in these systems of Yoga should be at once rejected. The best guide in life is strength. In religion, as in all other
matters, discard everything that weakens you, have nothing to do with it
. Mystery - mongering weakens the human brain. It has well - nigh destroyed
Yoga -- one of the grandest of sciences. From the time it was discovered, more than four thousand years ago, Yoga was perfectly delineated,
formulated, and preached in India. It is a striking fact that the more modern the commentator the greater the mistakes he makes, while the more ancient
the writer the more rational he is. Most of the modern writers talk of all sorts of mystery. Thus Yoga fell into the hands of a few persons who made it a
secret, instead of letting the full blaze of daylight and reason fall upon it.They did so that they might have the powers to themselves.
In the first place, there is no mystery in what I teach. What little I know I will tell you. So far as I can reason it out I will do so, but as to what I do not
know I will simply tell you what the books say. It is wrong to believe blindly. You must exercise your own reason and judgment; you must
practise, and see whether these things happen or not
. Just as you would take up any other science, exactly in the same manner you should take up this
science for study. There is neither mystery nor danger in it. So far as it is true, it ought to be preached in the public streets, in broad daylight. Any
attempt to mystify these things is productive of great danger."

You may download this wonderful book :
http://www.shardsofconsciousness.com/user/sites/shardsofconsciousness.com/files/ebooks/RajaYoga_Vivekananda.pdf

Namaskar.

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 11:14:12 AM »
Thank you Ravi.N,

I will download this book. Very much appreciate your helping me understand.

Namaskar Ravi.N

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 01:06:31 PM »
Dear ivac-d,

In Yoga Sastras, they say one should inhale, retain and exhale breath in 4:3:2 measures. However, Sri Bhagavan did not
recommend all these.  He says: It is enough if one watches the breathing and in due course, it would stabilize with sofrt
inbreathing and outbreathing,. That is what is needed for meditation.

Arunachala Siva.