Author Topic: my musings  (Read 174241 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: my musings
« Reply #780 on: June 02, 2016, 12:57:50 PM »
Atmavichar/Nagaraj,
Yes ,TGN offered rare insights in his talks on Tirukkural.He conducted a series of wonderful talks on Tirukkural spread across several weekends.I think i shared some of the verses somewhere here in the Forum.
Apropos of  அருள் vs இருள்,we have the verse of Thayumanavar from his Ananda kaLippu:

அருளால் எவையும்பார் என்றான் - அத்தை
      அறியாதே சுட்டிஎன் அறிவாலே பார்த்தேன்
இருளான பொருள்கண்ட தல்லால்-கண்ட
      என்னையுங் கண்டிலன் என்னேடி தோழி -     (சங்கர சங்கர சம்போ)

This again goes squarely with TGN's insight on that couplet from Tirukkural.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 02, 2016, 04:15:19 PM »
Sri Ravi, what a beautiful verse of Thayumanavar. This is one of my many favourites! Absolutely divine! Thank you.

அருளால் எவையும்பார் என்றான் - அத்தை
      அறியாதே சுட்டிஎன் அறிவாலே பார்த்தேன்
இருளான பொருள்கண்ட தல்லால்-கண்ட
      என்னையுங் கண்டிலன் என்னேடி தோழி -     (சங்கர சங்கர சம்போ)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 17, 2016, 09:22:41 AM »
Stray thoughts....

.....such is life!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 22, 2016, 06:30:01 AM »
Stray thoughts...

What is Bhakti, Sraddha (faith)?

Exercise of Viveka is Bhakti, and
Its sustenance is Sraddha or faith.

Some time back our friend, Sri Anil ji, came up with this question as to what is faith or Sraddha. after a due deliberation and contemplation, i seem to have come up with this reflection in a sudden inspiration (as above) and I feel quite satisfied with this.

The exercise of Viveka is Bhakti and its sustenance is Sraddha or faith. Whenever we fall down, the only Ashraya or shelter that we have is the Lord, The Lord is Himself Viveka. Smarana or remembrance of the Lord or His Gunas (Nature) or Self-Enquiry is Bhakti. And No matter how many times we fall, this inspiration to get up once again and exercise Viveka yet again is Faith or Sraddha.

According to some legend an emperor when he was jailed after a bad defeat, observed a spider spinning a web, trying to make a connection from one area of the cave's roof to another. Each time the spider failed, it began again until it succeeded. Inspired by this, the emperor returned to inflict a series of defeats on the English, thus winning him more supporters and eventual victory.

"if at first you don't succeed, try try again." - This is Sraddha Faith

The Willingness to Try is Sraddha Faith
And the very effort of trying is Viveka - deliberation - effort

We should always remember this watching the spider make its attempt seven times, succeeding on the eighth try!

Point to note is that the Spider's effort on all 7 occassions were made with utter sincerity and maximum effort!

Like how Krishna says in Gita Uddharet Atmanaatmanam - the Self is both your friend (Devas) and your enemy (Asuras). When your find yourself being pulled by your own bad self (Asuras), you have to pull yourself(Devas) back again to poise.

You are your own friend and foe.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 22, 2016, 11:27:06 AM »
Stray thoughts...

Just by investing few seeds on the soil and with subsequent investment of care, doesn't Mother Earth give back multiple times more grains than we invested in the form of seeds?

How much would the Supreme Lord would give us if we are able to reach out to Him? Here Supreme Lord gives Himself as a return!

Only we need to do the little needful! Little bit effort care and grace follows automatically!

Only eligibility is to have a desire for profit! Who would not want profit for oneself?

In Bible we have:

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you"

All we need is only this much!

--
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:28:40 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 01, 2016, 10:13:50 AM »
Stray thoughts...

The End is.... Endlessness!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 01, 2016, 11:38:19 AM »
Stray thoughts...

I felt, we would be doing great service to Arunachala Ksetram by simply being in our place, in constant remembrance of Arunachala within! The Ksetram is flooded with people every Purnima and big festival days and how much the place can take in?

Bhagavan's Vichara is most appropriate to our times and is greatly beneficial to Mother Nature. Simply by being where we are, we render lot of help to the geographical and biological aspects of Mother nature!

Having got the message of Bhagavan, it would be in the best interest to abide and meditate within and not develop this desire to keep visiting Arunachala. Also, the number of visitors to Asramam have increased by the day and is only going to increase in days to come!

Having said as above, still grace wills and commands differently!

Follow your heart!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #787 on: July 01, 2016, 09:01:19 PM »
what is a thought made of ?
what is the substance of a thought ?
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 01, 2016, 09:09:50 PM »

Dear friend, thought is made up of the same substance from where it arises.

ॐ पूर्णमदः पूर्णमिदं पूर्णात्पुर्णमुदच्यते
पूर्णस्य​ पूर्णमादाय पूर्णमेवावशिष्यते ॥

ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ॥

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 01, 2016, 09:42:51 PM »
Beloved abstract,

The Highest manifestation of thought is this....it 'questions'(as in the two questions above)......it 'questions' what is observed.....this questioning, if it becomes fundamental....it questions the questioner....this is vichara....and it ends up in its very source.

Turned outwardly,thought is an 'excursion' into the outer world of phenomena,a picnic,a play.(This is called maya or leela).It is what qualifies the word 'abstract' as 'Beloved' and calls itself 'Beloved abstract'...ha,ha.

In either case ,thought is a force,a power to reckon with.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 03, 2016, 12:05:33 AM »
Stray thoughts...

All spiritual theories and gods fail at some point, no matter how much one may sermonize! There you just can't not admit your helplessness on the fact that no answers were really good enough! Nobody knows! You will see for yourself that you have only been trying to convince yourself so long!

You then slowly learn, begin to stand on your own legs!

The only god and theory that has truly been of some substance is compassion. all else is only junk!

Anbe Sivam. Leave out even that Siva!

Anbe !!
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 03, 2016, 12:16:38 AM »
Stray thoughts...

if you are the first living being here now! You have no past, there are no past knowledge, no past gurus, gods, theories, scriptures... nothing! Can you see originally by yourselves without any knowledge as the first man/woman?

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 03, 2016, 12:32:49 AM »
Stray thoughts...

Giving up the non truth* is very painful, but it is one very bitter medicine we have to swallow!

*originally i wanted to use non self. But now i am more comfortable with using the word truth. We may say self is truth, i'd rather have no other alternative for the word truth!

--
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:35:31 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 03, 2016, 04:54:44 AM »
It is said that truthfulness alone constitutes the spiritual discipline of the Kaliyuga. If a man clings tenaciously to truth he ultimately realizes God. Without this regard for truth, one gradually loses everything. If by chance I say that I will go to the pine-grove, I must go there even if there is no further need of it, lest I lose my attachment to truth. After my vision of the Divine Mother, I prayed to Her, taking a flower in my hands: 'Mother, here is Thy knowledge and here is Thy ignorance. Take them both, and give me only pure love. Here is Thy holiness and here is Thy unholiness. Take them both, Mother, and give me pure love. Here is Thy good and here is Thy evil. Take them both, Mother, and give me pure love. Here is Thy righteousness, and here is Thy unrighteousness. Take them both,Mother, and give me pure love.' I mentioned all these, but I could not say: 'Mother, here is Thy truth and here is Thy falsehood. Take them both.' I gave up everything at Her feet but could not bring myself to give up truth.

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna.

This is one of the most deeply stirring message from the master in the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 03, 2016, 04:58:53 AM »
There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse, as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till. The power which resides in him is new in nature, and none but he knows what that is which he can do, nor does he know until he has tried.

Excerpt from the essay Self Reliance- by Ralph Waldo Emerson