Author Topic: my musings  (Read 183185 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: my musings
« Reply #525 on: April 30, 2013, 07:21:06 AM »
"One afternoon, Nasruddin and his friend were sitting in a cafe, drinking tea and talking about life and love.  His friend asked: 'How come you never married?'

'Well,' said Nasruddin, 'to tell you the truth, I spend my youth looking for the perfect woman. In Cairo I met a beautiful and intelligent woman, but she was unkind. Then in Baghdad, I met a woman who was a wonderful and generous soul, but we had no common interests. One woman after another would seem just right, but there would always be something missing. Then one day, I met her; beautiful, intelligent, generous and kind. We had very much in common. In fact, she was perfect!'

'So, what happened?' asked Nasruddin's friend, 'Why didn't you marry her?'

Nasruddin sipped his tea reflectively. 'Well,' he replied, 'it's really the sad story of my life.... It seemed that she was looking for the perfect man...'

"To summarise: our own projections, selfish expectations and exaggerations are the foundations of attachment and the unavoidable disappointment.

We want to get love, rather than give love.We seek understanding, rather than trying to understand. 
We seek self-confidence, rather than respecting others. 
We seek praise and encouragement, rather than giving praise and encouragement. We don't like criticism, but like to criticise others.
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 04, 2013, 08:59:40 AM »
One day the Buddha held up a flower in front of a large audience. he did not say anything for quite a long time. The audience was perfectly silent. Everyone seemed to be thinking hard, trying to see the meaning behind the Buddha's gesture. Then, suddenly, the Buddha smiled. He smiled because someone in the audience smiled at him and at the flower.

When someone holds up a flower and shows it to you, he wants you to see it. If you keep thinking, you miss the flower. The person who was not thinking, who was just himself, was able to encounter the flower in depth, and he smiled. 

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 06, 2013, 09:37:46 PM »
Stray thoughts...

When it dawns or when we realise or see for ourselves that it is Gods will alone that truly prevails then what results is that the ego may not be gone all out yet but it will be fully shaken out of its wits and nerves and never to be steady again. Every moment thereon will be new and uncertain. Our own decisions and plans can no longer be trusted anymore!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 09, 2013, 11:57:36 AM »
The Buddha who had truly realized the nature of these issues observed noble silence. An ordinary person who is still unenlightened might have a lot to say, but all of it would be sheer conjecture based on his imagination.

The Buddha’s silence regarding these questions is more meaningful than attempting to deliver thousands of discourses on them. The paucity of our human vocabulary, which is built upon relative experiences, cannot hope to convey the depth and dimensions of Reality, which a person has not himself experienced through Insight. On several occasions, the Buddha had very patiently explained that human language was too limited and could not describe the Ultimate Truth.

If the Ultimate Truth is absolute, then it does not have any point of reference for worldlings with only mundane experiences and relative understanding to fully comprehend it. When they try to do so with their limited mental conception, they misunderstand the Truth like the seven blind men and the elephant. The listener who had not realized the Truth could not fathom the explanation given, just like a man who was blind since birth will have no way of truly understanding the color of the sky.

The Buddha did not attempt to give answers to all the questions put to Him. He was under no obligation to respond to meaningless questions, which reflected gross misunderstanding on the part of spiritual development. He was a practical Teacher, full of compassion and wisdom. He always spoke to people fully understanding their temperament, capability, and capacity to comprehend. When a person asked questions not with the intention to learn how to lead a religious life but simply to create an opportunity for splitting hairs, the Blessed One did not answer these questions. Questions were answered to help a person towards self-realization, not as a way of showing His towering wisdom.

(Godwin Samararatne)

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 09, 2013, 12:00:21 PM »
stray thoughts..

the more we try to disassociate the body from ourselves, the more there is, the association!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 09, 2013, 12:17:15 PM »
Stray thoughts...

The only reason why we are subject to the doshas or defects such as raga dvesha - attachment and aversion, Arishadvarga (6 passions)

1. kama — lust
2. krodha — anger
3. lobh — greed
4. moha — delusory emotional attachment
5. mada or ahankara — pride, hubris
6. matsarya — envy, jealousy

is only because of lack of proper discernment. if we truly sincerely scrutinize each aspects in its entirety, they will drop of themselves, as iit would dawn that they are not something to be possessed, they truly do not bestow us happiness as we deem it to be.

We are subject to these defects inspite of knowing them to be abhorred only because we have not put enough thought and discerned it completely.

If we truly sit in order to discern, then, it may dawn in a moment, a day a year, but it will happen.

What seems beautiful is not really beautiful, what seems pleasurable is not really pleasurable, what seem to give happiness, truly does not give happiness but only suffering.

--
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:39:13 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 09, 2013, 09:33:16 PM »
Two monks who came out of a lecture by their master went on a hot debate regarding what they heard during the lecture. Each of them insited that his understanding was the correct one. To settle the dispute, they went to see the master for a judgement.

After hearing the argument put forth by the first monk, the master said, "You are correct!" The monk was overjoy. Casting a winner's glance at his friend, he left the room.

The second monk was upset and started to pour out what he thought to the master. After he finished, the master looked at him and said, "You are correct, too." Hearing this, the second monk brightened up and went away.

A third monk who was also in the room was greatly puzzled by what he saw. He said to the master, "I am confused, master! Their positions regarding the issue are completely opposite. They can't be both right! How could you say that they are both correct?"

The master smiled as he looked into the eyes of this third monk, "You are also correct!"

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 18, 2013, 11:54:44 AM »

Go on doing good, thinking holy thoughts continuously,
that is the only way to suppress base impressions.
Character is repeated habits, and repeated habits alone
can reform character.

Swami Vivekananda
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 03, 2013, 05:10:29 PM »
Stray thoughts ...

"Ignorance of Self is Ego and its knowledge, its effacement!"

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 06, 2013, 05:59:09 PM »

My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky:
So was it when my life began,
So is it now I am a man,
So be it when I shall grow old
Or let me die!
The Child is father of the Man:
And I could wish my days to be
Bound each to each by natural piety.

William Wordsworth
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 07, 2013, 11:47:22 AM »
Stray thoughts...

If we truly will and wish for something truly legitimate (that is desired towards God), and we are utmost sincere about it with a rock like conviction then God makes it happen or providence changes accordingly!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 07, 2013, 10:53:43 PM »
Stray thoughts...

The self is not known through intellect, rather the intellect is known because of Self!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 12, 2013, 12:03:06 AM »
Stray thoughts...

Coming to terms with maya (or that which is unreal) can be a painful process!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 12, 2013, 07:10:19 AM »
Stray thoughts...

Coming to terms with maya (or that which is unreal) can be a painful process!

--

I hope it does not mean - coming to terms with THAT which sustains Maya (Truth) is an easy process ;) :)

Sanjay.
Salutations to Bhagawan

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 12, 2013, 08:30:26 AM »
Dear Sanjay,

:)

I felt, there is no need for THAT to come in terns with itself. It would be yet another bondage if THAT felt a need to come in terms with itself. Therefore, there does not arise any questions of easy or difficulty with regard to 'what is!

The Self is always known and never to be attained.

It is only giving up what is unreal that is great difficulty as we have bonded with what is unreal strongly in several births.

The process of letting go completely happens exactly to the proportion of our recognition and coming to terms with what is not and not taking ashraya or shelter in unreality.

--

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta