Author Topic: my musings  (Read 118809 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: my musings
« Reply #345 on: December 05, 2012, 07:53:20 PM »
Believe those who are seeking the truth.
Doubt those who find it.

(Andre Gide)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 05, 2012, 07:58:22 PM »
If you take fire into your heart, your house is likely to burn.

(Alyson)

To know yet to think that one does not know is best;
Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.

(Lao-Tzu)

A man never speaks of himself without losing thereby. His self-accusations are always believed; his slef-praise disbelieved.

(Michel de Montagne)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 06, 2012, 07:14:26 AM »
Adi Sankaracharya wrote a number of Vedantic works for imparting knowledge of the Self and the Universal Spirit. He also composed a number of hymns to foster Bhakti in the hearts of men.One of these hymns is the famous Bhajagovindam. The way of devotion is not different from the way of knowledge or Jnana. When intelligence matures and lodges securely in the mind, it becomes wisdom. When wisdom is integrated with life, and issues out in action, it becomes Bhakti. Knowledge, when it becomes fully mature, is Bhakti. If it does not get transformed into Bhakti, such knowledge is useless tinsel. To believe that Jnana and Bhakti, knowledge and devotion, are different from each other, is ignorance.If Shri Adi Sankara himself who drank the ocean of Jnana as easily as one picks water from the palm of one’s hand, sang in his later years hymns to develop devotion, it is enough to show that Jnana and Bhakti are one and the same. Sri Sankara has packed into the Bhajagovindam song the substance of all Vedanta, and set the oneness of Jnana and Bhakti to melodious music.

(rAjAji)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 06, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »
Nagaraj,
This passage is one very dear to me.So very succinctly put and so expressive.Thanks very much.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Fruit from the Garden of Wisdom
« Reply #349 on: December 06, 2012, 10:20:25 AM »
Bhakti and Jnana

I have been telling you sometimes that there is some secret meaning behind the last words in the Eleventh Chapter of the Gita when we are told that bhakti is supreme. The bhakti that Sri Krishna speaks of here is not ordinary obeisance to an idol. It is not a mass you perform in the church. It is a meeting of your being before one Absolute. Therefore Bhagavan Sri Krishna says "Not charity, not philanthropy, not study, not austerity, is capable of bringing about this great vision that you had, Arjuna! Only by devotion can I be seen, contacted. Only by devotion am I capable of being known, seen and entered into". These three words are used in the Bhagavad Gita at the end of the Eleventh Chapter - knowing, seeing and entering. Arjuna knew and saw, but never entered into It. Therefore, he was the same Arjuna after the Bhagavad Gita also. He never entered into the Supreme Being.

Now, religion is knowing, seeing and entering into. Knowing is considered by such thinkers like Ramanuja, the great propounder of the Visishtadvaita philosophy, as inferior to devotion. Knowledge or jnana is not equal to bhakti, says Ramanuja. And Acharya Sankara says that jnana is superior to bhakti. It may appear that they are quarelling with each other. Really, they are not. They have some emphasis laid on different aspects of the same question. Why does Bhagavan Sri Krishna say that nothing can make you fit to see the vision of God, to behold Him, except bhakti? It would seem that He speaks like Ramanuja and not like Sankara. But they are only speaking in different languages ...the same thing. There is no contradiction between them. "Knowing, seeing and entering into" signifies the process of contacting God by degrees. There are, in the parlance of Vedanta, two types of knowledge - paroksha jnana and aparoksha jnana. Paroksha jnana is indirect knowledge. Aparoksha jnana is direct knowledge. "God exists" is indirect knowledge. "I am inseparable from God-being" is direct knowledge. Now, we do not feel that we are inseparable from God-being. That knowledge has not come to us. So we have not entered such a height of religious consciousness as to be convinced that we are inseparable from God's existence. But we are convinced enough to feel that God exists. He is, but we have not gone to such an extent to feel that we are inseparable from Him. That is a little higher stage. Jnana has come, but Darshana or vision of God has not come. We have not seen the Virat in front of us, notwithstanding the fact that we are seeing Virat. The whole cosmos is that, but we have somehow segregated our personality from Virat consciousness. A cell in the body is seeing the body as if it is outside it.

What would be the condition or the experience of a cell in our own body notionally isolating itself from the organism to which it belongs and considering the body as a world outside it? You can imagine the stupidity of it. This is exactly what we are doing. We think the world is outside of us, though we are a part of the world. So, the idea that the Virat is an object of perception, that the world is external to us, is notional, not realistic. All our difficulties are notional in the end. They have no reality or substance in themselves.

By bhakti Ramanuja means that love of God which supersedes intellectual activity or a mere knowing that God exists. And when Sankara says that jnana or knowledge is superior, he means knowledge which is identical with being and which is the same as Para bhakti or the love of God where the soul is in communion with the Being of God.

The highest devotion is the same as the highest knowledge. jnana and Para bhakti are the same. The gauna bhakti or secondary love of God, which is more ritualistic and more formal, is inferior. But Ramanuja's bhakti is the surging of the soul and the melting of personality in God-love as we hear in the case of Spinoza, Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, Mirabai and Tukaram. Their bhakti was not simply love of God as that of church-men or temple-men. It is a kind of ecstasy in which the personality has lost itself in God-love and God-being. That is jnana and that is bhakti. So there is no difference between Ramanuja and Sankara in the ultimate reaches. And Bhagavan Sri Krishna's dictum is also of a similar character.

By gradually losing attachment to this obsessional notion that we are this little Mr. or Mrs. Body and that we are located in a part of the physical world called India or America or Japan or Russia, we slowly try to become citizens of a larger dimension which is wider than this earth, perhaps larger than even the solar system and this physical cosmos.

When we enter into the true religious life, we become real children of God.

(Swami Krishnananda, Diving Life Society)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 07, 2012, 07:59:50 AM »
वाचो वेगं मनसः वेगं क्रोधवेगं
जिह्वावेगमुदरोपस्थवेगम् । 
एतान् वेगान् यो विषहेत धीरः
सर्वामपीमां पृथ्वीं स शिष्यात् ॥

vaacho vegam manasah vegam krodhavegam
jihvaavegamudaropasthavegam
etaan vegaan yo vishaheta dhirah
sarvaamapimaam prithvim sa shishyaath

A dheera (steadfast) man who can tolerate the urge to speak, the mind's demands, the actions of anger and the urges of the tongue, belly and genitals is qualified to make disciples all over the world.

(Chaitanya Mahaprabhu)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 07, 2012, 07:10:53 PM »
Path is myth, truly there is no path. Path is just a creation of mind which is said to not exist!

What is, is just the destination alone, all the time!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 15, 2012, 08:00:23 PM »
Life is a journey,

from the destination
to the destination.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 16, 2012, 06:46:40 PM »
ಕಾಯಕವ ಚರಿಸುತ್ತ, ಮಾನಸವ ಸಯ್ತಿಡುತ ।
ಆಯಸಂಬಡಿಸದವೊಲಂತರಾತ್ಮನನು ॥
ಮಾಯೆಯೊಡನಾಡುತ್ತ, ಬೊಮ್ಮನನು ಭಜಿಸುತ್ತ ।
ಆಯುವನು ಸಾಗಿಸೆಲೊ – ಮಂಕುತಿಮ್ಮ ॥ ೭೩೬ ॥

kAyakava charisutta, mAnasava saytiDuta ।
aayasam baDisadavol antaraatmananu ॥
mAyeyoDane aaDutta, bommananu bhajisutta ।
aayuvanu sAgiselo – Mankutimma ॥ 736 ॥

“Do your duty. Console your mind. Don’t let your inner conscience get anxious.
Play (revel) with the grand illusion of this world. Always keep God in mind.
You must get through your life like this.” – Mankutimma

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 16, 2012, 06:49:35 PM »
ಬುದ್ಧಿಪ್ರಕಾಶದಿಂದಂತರನುಭವಶೋಧೆ ।
ಸಿದ್ಧವಾ ಶೋಧೆಯಿಂ ಸತ್ಯಸಂವೀಕ್ಷೆ ॥
ಶುದ್ಧಸತ್ಯವ ಜೀವಿತಪ್ರಶ್ನೆಗನ್ವಯಿಪ ।
ಪದ್ಧತಿಯೆ ಧರ್ಮವೆಲೊ – ಮಂಕುತಿಮ್ಮ ॥ ೫೪೫ ॥

buddhi prakAshadinda antar anubhava shOdhe ।
siddhavA shOdheyim satya samvIkShe ॥
shuddha satyava jIvitaprashnege anvayipa ।
paddhatiye dharmavelo – Mankutimma ॥ 545 ॥

“One must search inwards for experiences using the light of one’s intellect.
From that, you will find the universal truth. Applying that universal truth to
every day dilemmas and resolving them is called ‘Dharma’ –
nothing more complex.” – Mankutimma

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 16, 2012, 06:52:53 PM »
ಮಾಯೆಯೆಂಬಳ ಸೃಜಿಸಿ, ತಾಯನಾಗಿಸಿ ಜಗಕೆ ।
ಆಯಸಂಗೊಳುತ ಸಂಸಾರಿಯಾಗಿರುವ ॥
ನಾಯಕ ಬ್ರಹ್ಮನ್ ಅನುಯಾಯಿಗಳು ನಾವೆಲ್ಲ ।
ಹೇಯವದರೊಳಗೇನೊ – ಮಂಕುತಿಮ್ಮ ॥ ೬೦೨ ॥

mAyeyembaLa sRujisi, tAyanAgisi jagake ।
AyAsangoLuta samsAriyAgiruva aa ॥
nAyaka brahman anuyAyigaLu nAvella ।
heyavadaroLage Eno – Mankutimma ॥ 602 ॥

“He created the illusion (Maya) so that he could amuse himself.
He made her (Maya) the mother of this world. He seems to be
busy running this world. Such is the nature of the creator.
He is the leader and we all follow him.
What is the difficulty in accepting this fact?” – Mankutimma

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 16, 2012, 07:06:39 PM »
Mankuthimma says:

Like Kaikeyi rocked the brains of the old king Dasaratha and wanted to rule the kingdom with her son, Maya will in the guise
of making happy Siva, takes over and  rules this world, as per her wish. She rocks us the people, but preserves us in the final
analysis, Mankuthimma. (146)

Arunachala Siva.     

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 16, 2012, 07:16:24 PM »
what a find Subramanian Sir, truly nice one! :) yes, the power of maya is unlimited. Other day Bharati Theertha Swamigal was saying in his talks, there is nothing impossible for Maya, such is its power. Here is the verse, which you have quoted:

ರಾಯ ಮುದಿದಶರಥನಾಡಿಸುತ ಕೈಕೇಯಿ ।
ಸ್ವೀಯ ವಶದಲಿ ಕೋಸಲವನಾಳಿದಂತೆ ॥
ಮಾಯೆ ಬೊಮ್ಮನ ಬಿನದವಡಿಸಿ ನಮ್ಮೀ ಜಗವ ।
ಕಾಯುವಳು ತನ್ನಿಚ್ಛೆ – ಮಂಕುತಿಮ್ಮ ॥ ೧೪೬ ॥

rAya mudi dasharathana ADisuta kaikEyi ।
svIya vashadali kOsalavanu ALidante ॥
mAye bommana binadavaDisi nammI jagava ।
kAyuvaLu tannicChe – Mankutimma ॥ 146 ॥

“Kaikeyi ruled the Kosala kingdom the way she wanted, with total independence because she amused the old king Dasharatha. Maya seems to be running our world as she pleases by amusing the creator.” – Mankutimma

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 16, 2012, 07:20:52 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Yes. Sri Soundarya Lahari says: When the whole world is destroyed, Brhama dies, Vishnu also closes his eyes, Indra and Devas
are dead gone, You Paraskati, dance with Siva in merry!

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 16, 2012, 08:01:28 PM »
Stray thought...

when we understand ourselves well, so the world will. The external world is just a reflection of what is within. That which is within is without.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta