Author Topic: my musings  (Read 180338 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: my musings
« Reply #765 on: February 15, 2016, 07:29:19 AM »
Stray thoughts...

No one is ever ignorant at any time. If one feels he is incomplete or ignorant, Bhagawan said find out who is ignorant and upon enquiry it will be found that there is no ignorance and one's true nature has to be known or realised, else enquiry has to be practiced repeatedly untill the Self is realised.

Real proper Self enquiry can happen only once by which the Self is realised and there ends all quest and practices when the Self is known or realised.

Self has to be known! Otherwise any spiritual practice will be in vain!

The purpose of Self enquiry is not to be used just for quitening the disturbed mind and for relaxing ones mind when troubled by mundane issues asking for whom are these experiences and so on. The real enquiry is only for the purpose of self realisation alone.

If you feel agitated and enquire who is agitated then only the non agitation of mind results from such enquiry but when the intention is the realisation of Self alone, such enquiry will never go without revealing the true nature of one real Self and then one has to be able to recognise when the real Self is shining like the Sun.

What would be the point when the Sun shines and if you fail to notice the very Sun itself?

One should have knowledge about the nature of Self to be able to recognise realise the Self. Without thr knowledge of Self, Self will remain unrealised even though it may shine like thousand suns awaiting to engulf you!

ten men crossed a stream and wanted to make sure they were all safe. In counting, each one left himself out and found only nine. A passerby gave each a blow and made them count the ten blows. the tenth man in the story was the tenth man and none else.

Similarly too, self enquiry must result in the realisation, knowing or recognising the the self as the very tenth man and none else, if the tenth man remains unrecognised, the counting will continue for ever, so too, the enquiry will continue for ever if the Self remains unrecognised!

--

--
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:33:14 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 30, 2016, 11:54:50 PM »
Stray thoughts...

यज्ज्ञात्वा नेह भूयोऽन्यज्ज्ञातव्यमवशिष्यते ....
the knowledge, by knowing which there shall be no other thing here left to be known.

Krishna says so in the Gita...what appears in Mundakopanishad

If one is able to win the grace of the Guru. So much births is one one saved from!

O', how, how fortunate are we to be blessed by Bhagawan.... He has saved us from so much knowledge! Indeed!

He has saved us so much more walking.... tiring... ourselves.... those who are blessed to realise his message are indeed greatly fortunate!! Indeed greatly fortunate!!

Lo! Hesr everybody! This Ramana distributes sweets free of cost. He asks nothing in return. He only asks everyone to take it as it is! And those that are able to take it are are blessed, blessed, indeed greatly blessed!!

Friends, in space terminology, there is a term called "Wormhole" it is a hypothetical topological feature that would fundamentally be a shortcut connecting two separate points in spacetime. A wormhole, in theory, might be able to connect extremely far distances such as a billion light years or more, short distances such as a few feet, different universes, and different points in time. A wormhole is much like a tunnel with two ends, each at separate points in spacetime.

Bhagawan is such a wormhole... so enter this wormhole and you will be cut short of so many births!!!

How blessed we are! How blessed we are! We must realise how blessed we are to be here with Bhagawan. Only then we can see the seriousness of it!!!

Do not miss the great opportunity of this birth!

சாப்பா டுன்னைச் சார்ந்துண வாயான்
சாந்தமாய்ப் போவ னருணாசலா   (அ)

To  feed on you I came, O  Arunachala, but I have become your food and am now at peace.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:19:26 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: May 14, 2016, 06:13:34 AM »
"Oral lectures are not so eloquent as silence. Silence is unceasing eloquence."

"Language is only a medium for communicating ones thoughts to another. It is called in only after thoughts arise, when one remains without thinking, one understands another by means of the universal language of silence. Silence is the eternal flow of language, obstructed by words."

~ Ramana Bhagawan
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 06:16:12 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: May 16, 2016, 09:34:18 PM »
Stray thoughts...

What Bhagawan has specially done in addition to simplifying Vedanta is that he has simply DE-MYSTIFIED everything.

Mysticism is something that may appear wonderful but could cause a sort of disturbances in some divine fantasies. Each school each path has its own uniqueness. But for me Ramana has totally done away from any kind of mysticisms.

Another great instance that has profoundly affected me in Ramana is this instance given below:

A disciple of a reputed Swami of South India, Vilakshananda, came to Bhagavan to have his darshan. With some hesitation he started telling Bhagavan about his guru's strict injunction that each one of his devotees should do so many thousands of japa daily and surrender the phala to the guru as their offering and that they were following it without fail.

Bhagavan smiled and observed: "Is it so? It is to be appreciated. So much gain for the guru with no strain on his part!" While Bhagavan was saying this, Muruganar entered the Old Hall. Turning to him Bhagavan said: "Do you know? His guru commands each one of his disciples to perform so many thousands of nama-japa and surrender the phala(merit) to him, as guru kanikkai (offering). After that will there be any balance for the disciples? It looks like one keeping the principal and surrendering the interest to the guru as offering. How do you appreciate this?"

Muruganar with tears in his eyes replied: "Bhagavan! Their guru is far better. He at least leaves the principal and demands only the interest. But this guru here (pointing to Bhagavan) is worse. He takes away the principal itself; then where is room for interest? He demands the devotees' mulam(principal) and vaddi(interest) all at once!" Bhagavan gave a benign smile enjoying the poet's joke with deep meaning!

What Muruganar meant was that Bhagavan wipes out the mind and the ego of his devotees.

So who remains to even to do self enquiry! If Ramana is a Dhobi washerman and you give your clothes for washing, he not only washes the shirt clean but cleans the shirt off completely! Returns you nothing in return.

--
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:37:16 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: May 16, 2016, 09:48:36 PM »
Stray thoughts...

If i may be allowed to express with freedom, here is what i would like to express - that this Ramana offers NO-HELP ! Yes, and this perhaps is the greatest help one can ever expect! This Ramana's glory is such that when once He owns you, simultaneously you are disowned!

This Ramana perhaps puts even Dakshinamurty to shame.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #770 on: May 16, 2016, 09:58:23 PM »
Sanskrit!

Prathama Purusha - Third Person
Ayam Atma Brahma - He is Brahman

Madhyama Purusha - Second Person
Tat Tvam Asi - You Are That  (Brahman)

Uttama Purusha - First Person
Aham Brahmasi - I am Brahman

Vedanta over!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 10:39:12 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #771 on: May 16, 2016, 10:14:16 PM »
Stray thoughts...

We all think Bhagawan gave us Self Enquiry. He asked us to enquire who am i. It actually is a mockery! What can we-you DO! He says! What can you do? Do you think you can do something? Who Are You! I Say! Who are you! And we (who never is*) shamelessly enquire!

* nasato vidyate bhavo nabhavo vidyate satah - Gita
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: May 16, 2016, 10:29:48 PM »
Stray thoughts...

I have never come across another; Ramana who has his loins covered with Koupina seems to convey to us, see I am just like you. I am just like you. No secrets No mysticims in me. I am just like you. In other words he seems to convey we are just like him. Why 'like'  HE IS YOU AND YOU, HIM! There is nothing different in me that is not in you! There is nothing unique in me that is not in you!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 10:32:49 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #773 on: May 20, 2016, 10:49:42 PM »
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: May 22, 2016, 10:42:02 PM »
D.:  There  is  something  concrete  necessary  to  meditate  upon.  How shall we meditate upon ?I??

M.: We have become rooted in forms and so we require a concrete form for meditating upon. Only that which we contemplate will in the end remain over.  When you contemplate the other thoughts  disappear.  So  long  as you need to contemplate there are other thoughts, Where are you? You contemplate because you exist. For the contemplator must contemplate. The contemplation can only be where he is. Contemplation wards off all  other  thoughts. You  should  merge  yourself  in  the  source. At  times we merge in the source  unconsciously,  as  in  sleep,  death,  swoon,  etc. What is contemplation? It is merging into the source consciously. Then the  fear  of  death,  of  swoon,  etc.  will  disappear,  because  you  are  able to  merge  into  the  source  consciously.

~ Talks
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #775 on: June 01, 2016, 04:52:23 PM »
Stray thoughts...

A wise man is busy doing nothing!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 01, 2016, 08:04:59 PM »
அடக்கம் அமரருள் உய்க்கும் அடங்காமை
ஆரிருள் உய்த்து விடும்

Self-control will place (a man) among the Gods;
the want of it will drive (him) into the thickest
darkness (of hell)

Thirukkural
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 02, 2016, 07:01:20 AM »
Good verse from TirukkurAl.Sage TGN gave a true insight by splitting the word  அமரருள் as அமர்+அருள், meaning abiding Grace.It is generally interpreted as அமரர் +உள் meaning among the Gods.
TGN points out the word ஆரிருள்=ஆர்+இருள், meaning dense darkness of ignorance.The opposite of அருள் is இருள் and Tiruvalluvar is juxtaposing the words to maximize the expression and effect.
The Verse would then be understood as :
அடக்கம் அமர் அருள் உய்க்கும்
அடங்காமை ஆர் இருள் உய்த்துவிடும்

self control would raise one to abiding Grace
The lack of it would plunge(one) in Dense darkness(of Ignorance).

TGN further points out how Bharatiyar uses the same pair of words in his Kuyil song(Cuckoo's song)

1.அருளே யாநல் லொளியே;
ஒளிபோ மாயின், ஒளிபோ மாயின்
இருளே
, இருளே, இருளே.

It is Grace light ....sans that it is Dense Darkness of ignorance.

Tiruvalluvar simply uses words beginning with the first few letters of the Tamizh alphabets அ ஆ இ உ.........the verse conveys the ABC of spiritual living just like Patanjali's yoga sutra begins with Yogash chitta vritti nirodhah.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 07:13:51 AM by Ravi.N »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 02, 2016, 08:02:46 AM »

Dear Sri Ravi

Thanks for giving an excellent interpretation to THE THIRUKURAL shared by Sri Nagaraj with Sage TGN's unique insights .I suggest you open a separate thread for sharing Thirukural based on Sage TGN's interpretation .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 02, 2016, 09:24:00 AM »
Thanks Sri Ravi for sharing Sage TGN's interpretations. It gives more weight indeed! Thirukkural is the most non sectarian and most universal work acceptable to one and all groups without an iota of hesitation! I am always marvelled at this work and Avvaiyar's Aathichudi.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta