Author Topic: my musings  (Read 169461 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: my musings
« Reply #720 on: September 12, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »
Stray thoughts...

Break open, emerge from your cocoon and breathe in the fresh air of freedom.

Break Free!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 12, 2014, 11:43:58 PM »
Stray thoughts...

Why differentiate.....? anything, at all?
Even the wisdom that differentiates
ought to be shunned*!

Differentiation is the biggest barricade
towards the Truth.

*or enquired upon or surrendered.

--
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:46:20 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 13, 2014, 12:44:22 AM »
Stray thoughts...

How many worlds are we all living at this very moment?

There is one world with family
There is one world with spouse, mother father, parents, children each child, friends, each friends, etc., and each close one separately
There is one world at work and each world with colleagues
There is one world in between while we travel from one place to another
There are many worlds we fantasise and enjoy and seek pleasures
There is another world where we derive peace
There is another world of spirituality
There is another world of our Guru and his life world
There is this forum world
There is our own world of various worlds of sadhanas - self enquiry, Bhakti, yoga, bhajana etc...
List can go on... Endlessly

Which one can be regarded as real? And this also emanates in one such world only!

--
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 12:48:05 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 13, 2014, 12:03:33 PM »
Stray thoughts...

The greatest test of discipline is
being true to oneself!
If this is passed everything passes,
if this fails everything else fails!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 13, 2014, 03:09:33 PM »
Tis, but I cannot name it, 'tis the sense
Of majesty, and beauty, and repose,
A blended holiness of earth and sky,
Something that makes this individual spot,
This small abiding-place of many men,
A termination, and a last retreat,
A centre, come from whereso'er you will,
A whole without dependence or defect,
Made for itself, and happy in itself,
Perfect contentment, Unity entire.

~ William Wordsworth
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 13, 2014, 03:12:15 PM »
MUST WATCH:

Consciousness - an animation of Spirit

http://youtu.be/hwyuQbIb0Xs

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 14, 2014, 05:49:42 PM »
Stray thoughts...

whether you prefer to catch bus or train or airplane or walk,
make sure you reach the destination. that is all that matters!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 16, 2014, 08:48:57 PM »
Stray thoughts...

being is the nature of Self, it is
not attained by imitation (by effort)
you can't 'Be' that, you are 'That'
so resounds the shruti-voice from within!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 18, 2014, 10:54:36 AM »
Stray thoughts...

Dear friends, the purpose of the practice of Self Enquiry is to realise that one is not the gross body. nothing more and nothing less! Sri Bhagavan's quote from Talks 454 The object of enquiry is to find the true nature of the Self as Awareness. Let one practise enquiry so long as separateness is perceived.

Generally, in my understanding, i feel, many, even after having realised the simple fact that one is not the gross body(मनोबुद्ध्यहङ्कार चित्तानि नाहं etc..) continue to blindly pursue the exercise. Sri Bhagavan expressed in Talks 454 There is confusion between the means and the end (i.e., sadhana and sadhya). Who is the enquirer? The aspirant and not the siddha. Enquiry signifies that the enquirer considers himself separate from enquiry. So long as this duality lasts the enquiry must be continued, i.e., until the individuality disappears and the Self is realised to be only the eternal Be-ing (including enquiry and enquirer). The Truth is that Self is constant and unintermittent Awareness. The object of enquiry is to find the true nature of the Self as Awareness. Let one practise enquiry so long as separateness is perceived. If once realisation arises there is no further need for enquiry. The question will also not arise. Can awareness ever think of questioning who is aware? Awareness remains pure and simple. The enquirer is aware of his own individuality. Enquiry does not stand in the way of his individual awareness; nor does external work interfere with such awareness. If work, seemingly external, does not obstruct the individual awareness, will the work, realised to be not separate from the Self, obstruct the uninterrupted Awareness of the Self, which is One without a second and which is not an individual separate from work

Thereafter realising this fact, that one is not the body, mind, intellect, ego, the elements, prana, and so on, one has to further delve into the nature of the Self, only then would the absolute clarity result. Who am I enquiry as taught by Bhagavan itself takes us to this level, however, one has to be open minded here to acquire knowledge beyond the very method of Self Enquiry.

Having said this, the very fact of realising that one is NOT THE GROSS BODY is the ultimate realisation, there is nothing more to dig deeper. But since the mind would not rest, at the Truth being just so simple, wants to search further, seek something, experience some bliss and experience some sense of attainment that is all purely imaginative. This would result in endless cycle of sadhana, be it what ever Sadhana one pursues, even Self Enquiry.

One has to 'know' the knowledge, Sri Bhagavan Himself, expressed When I later in Tiruvannamalai listened, how the "Ribhu Gita" and such sacred texts were read, I caught these things and discovered that these books named and analysed, what I before involuntarily felt, without being able to appoint or analyse. In the language of these books I could denote the state in which I found myself after my awakening as "cleaned understanding" (shuddham manas) or "Insight" (Vijnāna): as 'the intuition of the Enlightened

Therefore, if anyone pursues the Sadhana of Self Enquiry very sincerely, would easily realise the Truth in just some time, may be even lesser than the time taken by Sri Bhagavan Himself, for a sharp intellect with sraddha and devotion, it also may take much longer for some, each depending on ones own pakva - a result of ones past.

Thereafter, IF THE HUNGER STILL CONTINUES, Self Enquiry may alone may not of real Help, one has to acquaint with oneself, one has to know oneself, what is ones own nature, what am I, and so on, and these reflections are to be acquired through the direct words of ones own Guru and Guru guides one towards scriptures, the Vedas, Upanishads, the words of Guru, the works such as Vaasishta, Ribhu Gita, Ashtaavakra Gita. Sri Bhagavan recommended several works, in tamil as well like Kaivalya Navaeetam, Thayumanavar and so on. Therefore, it is clear, Sri Bhagavan guided all apirants to acquire knowledge from all corners. He encouraged aspirants to read Srimad Bhagavatam, Gita, Ribhu Gita, Yoga Vasishta. There was a regular discussion about the essence of various Upanishadic revelation. It is for this acquaintance for which Sri Bhagavan recommended all aspirants to pursue Self Enquiry.

Sri Muruganar, who has written such mammoth tamil verses, on the exposition of Sri Bhagavan and the revelations of the same as reflected from various other tamil scriptures, especially of those of Manickavachakar. He fell dead the very day he read about Bhagavan's Atma Vichara, a small book given to him by his father in law, Dandapani swami. His Self Enquiry was finished. He only spent the rest of his life only is Tatva Samyoga, in grasping the Nature of Self as his reflection, which are his expositions, the result of His reflections. He encouraged aspirants to read works such as periya Puranam that used to bring tears in his beautiful eyes as well.

Even after realising oneself as beyond the Gross body as a result of intense Self Enquiry, to continue to enquiring who am I who am I, would lead nowhere, as the the nature of that Self is Endless, it is limitless, therefore, it is prudent to assist oneself, ALONG WITH Self Enquiry, the various ambrosial nectarine expressions of Upanishads and other such works. This would put an end to the turbulent mind that continues to throb even after realising that truth that it is beyond the gross body.

Self Enquiry, begins with Who am I, and once it is realised that one is beyond the gross body, the Self Enquiry thereafter becomes "Self" Enquiry, what is it, what is its nature, which is gained by the Uchchishtams leftovers of the expressions of various saints in various works and Upanishads.

--
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:21:40 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 19, 2014, 12:33:56 PM »
(just shifting the same article here)

Dear Friends, (addressed in general to one and all)

i would like to lay some thoughts. I believe, we should not over emphasize certain observations by Sri Bhagavan or for that matter some recorded expressions made by them such as all other practices are auxiliary, and only Self Enquiry alone leads to the Truth, and that certain practices are for beginners and self enquiry is for advanced seekers and so on. We need to understand the context in which they are expressed by the Sage and also the time in which it was said to that particular sadhaka. We should be clear that Sri Bhagavan never gave any teaching en-mass, he was very particular about it.

There is no doubt Self Enquiry in itself is the goal and the end, but the sadhaka need not glorify the means by unglorifying the other paths as auxiliary paths and terming them as beginner or lesser paths, this is very unbecomming on the part of an aspirant, for this is a dangerous precedent, and it is not in line with Dharma.

Sadhakas should never get obsessed with means but focus on Sadhana alone, otherwise, it becomes like what happened with Christ, who was made the only Direct means for Salvation, and the popular understanding is that those that have been born before Christ and those that have been born after Christ who don't believe in Christ have no salvation.

Self Enquiry is Direct path, there is no denying, but over emphasizing to an extent of pursuing thoughts in the line that other practices are indirect and they are eventually only lead to Self Enquiry and why not directly begin Self Enquiry, such things are best left for the fruit to ripe by itself. Let us mind the purpose for which we are here, we are not here to preach and talk about efficacies and inefficacies.

I believe we are not any savior or champions of propagating Self Enquiry, Sri Bhagavan Himself did that silently. It is better we just focus on our Sadhana over, emphasizing the efficacy of Self Enquiry over other paths. What Sri Bhagavan had to convey has expressed Himself in the small book Self Enquiry. Our duty is to only practice Sadhana and not to engage in its propagation. That is not our job and each sadhaka may pick himself what he needs, by the grace of Sri Bhagavan

Does it mean that all others who are not inclined with Sri Bhagavan are lost in some spiritual maze? have there not been realized souls before Sri Bhagavan and have there not been there other Guru's who have been guiding lights? All paths are equal in the eyes of Self. All paths lead to the Sun of Truth.

We can talk about Self Enquiry, we can write lots about Self Enquiry, glorify the path, talk about its greatness, but wisdom calls that certain expressions of Sri Bhagavan ought not to be misrepresented and what Sri Bhagavan said or what Sri Annamalai Swami said are case specific, and i firmly believe, in a common platform, Sri Bhagavan would not appreciate expressing thoughts such as Self Enquiry is Direct and that other paths are are only for beginners, or that if one pursues Self Enquiry one need not bother about waking up late in the morning etc.. no such disciplines are necessary i mean we don't preach these out in the open, even if they are expressed by Sri Bhagavan. It is doing gross injustice to Sri Bhagavan!

Lord Krishna says, यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि among acts of worship I am the worship called Japa. There are plenty of expression to quote counter, if need be, but what is important is to pick up the essence.

All spiritual practices are an end to itself, or we can say all spiritual practices lead by themselves its own way of Self Enquiry. It is not in Rhythm to thunder exclusivity to Sri Bhagavan. Please do not make him a Jesus Christ. I would like to say,

We Bhagavan devotees are not in some great heaven compared to so many other milions of Sadhakas of various other paths across the world of various faiths.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 20, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »

The four sons, of brahmA, sanaka, sanandana, sanAtana, sanat kumAra did austere tapas and analysis, but they were unclear of the Supreme Truth. They finally decided to come to Lord Shiva to get the knowledge of the Truth. The Lord sat under the banyan tree, and the four sages also sat down around Him. Lord stayed in the yOga posture without saying a single word. The four sages got all their doubts cleared just by that posture. The form in which God appeared as a Supreme Guide is the form of wisdom dakshiNAmUrti.

This explains that the Truth cannot be explained in words and must be experienced. Including the great chinmudra posture, the posture of shrI dhakshiNA mUrti, who is the teacher of all the teachers. As thirumUlar says, the posture of the guru is a thing to be thought about always. That is the clarity ! (theLivu guruvuru chin^dhiththal thAnE)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 21, 2014, 09:04:56 PM »
Stray thoughts...

do not resist emotions in the name of spiritual quest.
Recognise that emotions do not bind you.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 21, 2014, 09:16:19 PM »
Stray thoughts...

Friends, just do not restrict where the life is taking you, experience everything life has to offer, we have heard aplenty to resist all external perceptions and remain within, but on the contrary, i have found that there is more spirituality in the so called Non-Spirituality and less spirituality in Spirituality itself (yes it is all how we see, but) Do not operate from cliches. Just to say some example, watch good films, watch good talents around you, look at the world how it operates, do not fear Rajas, do not resist the Rajas around you, Life is Beautiful. Spirituality is broadening and never narrowing.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 21, 2014, 09:34:37 PM »
Stray thoughts...

Everything is the expression of the Supreme Atman!
Look at how many different ways the Brahman is expressing itself,
In how many beautiful ways, what a wonder it is,
Simply look without being bound by any paradigms.
It is You! you are expressing yourself in all of them!
Do not resist yourself, for you would deny your nature!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 21, 2014, 09:40:02 PM »
Stray thoughts...

Just be Free! what stops us from being free?
And this is not sheer indulgence!
The quest is much more beautiful and meaningful, here
than the narrow walls we have raised!

Be free, unconditionally, Trust in yourself, You will not get corrupt!

We are naturally Free, what stops us, but ourselves?

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta