Author Topic: my musings  (Read 116519 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: my musings
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2012, 07:00:50 PM »
Sir What to discern ?
Please explain a little more.

is not that obstinacy a direct product of how "dearly" we want the object ?
We want an object so dearly because it makes us better and happier. so there is obstinacy for that result.
so how can we handle obstinacy directly rather than handling the attachment to that object ?

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2012, 07:15:55 PM »
:) is that not a discernment itself sir?

No, it is kutarka. If it were discernment, you would not be asking these questions.

such a one will reach no where.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »
and, suppose it is a discernment as you say:

We want an object so dearly because it makes us better and happier. so there is obstinacy for that result. so how can we handle obstinacy directly rather than handling the attachment to that object ?

You have raised a question, not a discernment as you claim. therefore, your reasoning has to be completed. You have to realise that i am no way going to provide you any solution. You have a problem at hand, as to how to handle obstinacy, and you had asked how to handle obstinacy directly rather than handling the attachment to that object"

firstly, obstinacy is no different from attachment to that object, but only it is more fearce, if it is obstinacy.

there is one direct was to handle directly, as you hope for. That is absolute Surrender, unconditionally, accept what you have as the Lord's gift and question no more.

There are only these two ways. Sri Bhagavan said - "If one surrenders oneself there will be no one to ask questions or to be thought of. Either the thoughts are eliminated by holding on to the root-thought `I', or one surrenders oneself unconditionally to the higher power. These are the only two ways for realization."

without doing either of the above completely, you will reach no where, you have to complete your journey to reach your destination, nothing happens by stopping half way and hope for a direct way to reach destination, excepting the above 2 ways.

I want to make it clear, that, all i can say is, all solutions lie deep within yourself, and your solutions do not lie here. You have to dig deep within yourself and suit yourself, in which way you are inclined, either unconditional surrender or by  the reasoning yourself out, as revealed by the Sages over the ages across. Even otherwise, suppose you do not want to trust the words of the Sages, you would still have only these options. Or in case you discover something new, or have discovered something already, you may please share it in the open.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »

Nice explanation, Nagaraj-ji.

If we are not able to contemplate and arrive at these insights ourselves, I feel it is better to completely surrender and have shraddha to guru and scripture. This may seem like blind faith first, but after this shraddha develops, one will realize on one's own that it is true.

As Nochur-ji says, when we try to analyze too much with our intellect, we get confused. When we let the teaching just permeate into us, it becomes clear.

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2012, 12:00:18 AM »
Desire, desire well, Do, do well, Act, act well. Experience, feel the pains and pleasures of the life, it is not great to be like a stone, when somebody out there, loved or anybody is struggling in pain! Oh, yes, Krishna says, i should be same in joy and sorrow, i should be the same, i should not cry when i feel sorrow and i should not be over joyous when i am happy, such interpretations are really disease, i would say.

Yes, the problem is in the interpretation! I think that Bhagavad Gita understood properly by the guidance of true Guru is enough. Bhagavad Gita is a 'handbook' (by this I mean a book which contains enourmous information) of all schools and teachings of all religions. So it really can be said that Bhagavad Gita is an universal Book, just like the Upanishads.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2012, 09:12:40 AM »
Dear Hari - Bhagavad Gita is the most abused and misused book. Nowadays, Bhagavad Gita has become a "Management Handbook" with no spiritual sides :) to it. But people never ever ask even basics. Why is Karma Yoga only Chapter 3 - told at the start - and there are 15 more chapters after Karma Yoga? Like wise, understanding the structure of Gita itself answers a lot of our questions on what is superior, what is to be followed etc...

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2012, 09:40:50 AM »
In fact, the entire BG is over with Sankhya Yoga chapter. All the remaining chapters are only elaborations for the same.
Sri Krishna explained every type of Yoga so that readers could get hold of one as their favorite and pursue their spiritual
progress. One need not follow all the major yogas in full measure. One can stick to one Yoga and keep the others as a
supporting help.

Arunachala Siva.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2012, 09:50:40 AM »
True, Subramanian Sir. And the trick is not to FORCE yourself into one. You will automatically find your path, if you dont resist it with logic and mind. But we need to have the courage and conviction not to interfere that automatic selection with "mind" and "brain"

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2012, 09:58:02 AM »
Dear sanjay,

Yes. One cannot choose the Path. Path that is most suitable for you is shown to you.

Arunachala Siva.     

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Reality & Illusion
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »
MONK: “Where is the Reality in appearance?”
MASTER: “Wherever there is appearance, there is Reality.”

MONK: “How does It manifest Itself?”
MASTER: (The master silently lifted his stick.)

MONK: “But where is the Reality in illusion?”
MASTER: “The origin of illusion is the Real.”

MONK: “But how can Reality manifest Itself in illusion?”
MASTER: “Wherever there is illusion, there is the manifestation of Reality.”

MONK: “Do you say, then, Reality can never be separated from illusion?”
MASTER: “Where can you possibly find the appearance of illusion?”

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Love sustains Life
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2012, 08:16:53 PM »
I was on my way home from hunting, and was walking up the garden avenue. My dog was running on in front of me.

Suddenly he slackened his pace, and began to steal forward as though he scented game ahead.

I looked along the avenue and I saw on the ground a young sparrow, its beak edged with yellow, and its head covered with soft down. It had fallen from the nest (a strong wind was blowing, and shaking the birches of the avenue)l and there it sat and never stirred, except to stretch out its little half  grown wings in a helpless flutter.

My dog was slowly approaching it, when suddenly, darting from the tree overhead, and old black-throated sparrow dropt like stone right before his nose and all rumpled and flustered with a plaintive desperate cry flung itself, once, twice, at his open jaws with their great teeth.

It would save its young one it screened it with its own body the tiny frame quivered with terror; the little cries grew wild and hoarse it sank and died. It had sacrificed itself.

What a huge monster the dog must have seemed to it! And yet it could not stay up there on its safe bough. A power stronger than its own will tore it away.

My dog too stood still, and then slunk back disconcerted, plainly he too had to recognise that power. I called him to me; and a feeling of reverence came over me as I passed on.

Yes, do not laugh. IT was really reverence. I felt before that little heroic bird and the passionate out-burst of its love.

Love, I thought is verily stronger than death and the terror of death. By love, only by love, is life sustained and moved.

(AC Bradley, Oxford Lectures on Poetry)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
What is Life?
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »
Spirituality is also a web of miseries, if we do not really discern the real essence of it.

To suffer woes which Hope thinks infinite;
To forgive wrongs darker than death or night;
To defy Power, which seems omnipotent;
To love, and bear; to hope till Hope creates
From its own wreck the thing it contemplates;
Neither to change, nor falter, nor repent;
This, like thy glory, Titan, is to be
Good, great and joyous, beautiful and free;
This is alone Life, Joy, Empire, and Victory

(Shelley, Prometheus Unbound)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2012, 08:49:07 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Life is a glorious symphony once we know the sufferings/ happiness are only dreams that does not last long.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Realisation is not Dry
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2012, 08:54:35 PM »
Realisation, looking at Self, Being Self, and all the wonderful terms that are so often used is not a dry abidance. That is full of life force, that is tremendously connected with everything as One.

Gregory of Nyssa, a 4th century christian saint expressed it very beautifully:

When I see every hill top, every valley, every plain covered with fresh sprung grass, and then the various array of the trees, and at my feet the lilies, doubly furnished by nature, both with pleasant and with beauty of colour; where in the distance I behold the sea, to which the wondering cloud leads the way, my mind is siezed by a melancholy which is not without happiness; and and when in autumn the fruits disappear, the leaves fall and the boughs are left bare, we are absorbed in the thought of the eternal and continously recurring change in the accord of the marvellous forces of nature. Whoever apprehends this with this intelligent eyes of the soul, feels the littleness of man compared with the greatness of the universe.

What do we imagine, Sri Bhagavan was looking at Arunachala in stillness, is not something that is empty, dry, samadhi, it is an awe, in the Ashtakam he sings with great spirit:

Look, there it stands as if insentient. Mysterious is the way
it works, beyond all human understanding. From my
unthinking childhood, the immensity of Arunachala had
shone in my awareness....

We usually get so bogged with our own small spiritual world, while the universe is bubbling with life force, magnitude personified in various forms. If our spirituality doesn't give rise to this awareness of the greatness of universe, if it doesn't connect us with the massiveness of the universe, in its myriad forms, then we are on a wrong path.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Love sustains Life
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2012, 09:35:08 PM »
I was on my way home from hunting, and was walking up the garden avenue. My dog was running on in front of me.

Suddenly he slackened his pace, and began to steal forward as though he scented game ahead.

I looked along the avenue and I saw on the ground a young sparrow, its beak edged with yellow, and its head covered with soft down. It had fallen from the nest (a strong wind was blowing, and shaking the birches of the avenue)l and there it sat and never stirred, except to stretch out its little half  grown wings in a helpless flutter.

My dog was slowly approaching it, when suddenly, darting from the tree overhead, and old black-throated sparrow dropt like stone right before his nose and all rumpled and flustered with a plaintive desperate cry flung itself, once, twice, at his open jaws with their great teeth.

It would save its young one it screened it with its own body the tiny frame quivered with terror; the little cries grew wild and hoarse it sank and died. It had sacrificed itself.

What a huge monster the dog must have seemed to it! And yet it could not stay up there on its safe bough. A power stronger than its own will tore it away.

My dog too stood still, and then slunk back disconcerted, plainly he too had to recognise that power. I called him to me; and a feeling of reverence came over me as I passed on.

Yes, do not laugh. IT was really reverence. I felt before that little heroic bird and the passionate out-burst of its love.

Love, I thought is verily stronger than death and the terror of death. By love, only by love, is life sustained and moved.

(AC Bradley, Oxford Lectures on Poetry)

BEAUTIFUL! Simply beautiful,so touching and inspiring...