Author Topic: my musings  (Read 151536 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: my musings
« Reply #450 on: January 23, 2013, 10:50:21 AM »
Stray Thoughts...

If we are bound by any Vasanas, then the plain fact that we have to face is that, we desire that Vasanas more than the desire for Self!

Therefore, if we truly want to overcome Vasanas, one has to have yearning, longing, strong desire for Self, over everything else. Then the desire of Self will overpower all other desires.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 23, 2013, 10:54:54 AM »
Stray thoughts...

Steadfastness is The Word!

There are no shortcuts, there are no miracles. One has to cultivate absolute steadfastness in the practice of ones Sadhana. Such steadfastness, that motivates and inspires you to engage in practice of ones Sadhana in all of our waking hours.

This is only possible if the desire for Self supersedes all other desires (pl. connect previous post) If it is not so, then the plain simple fact is that our desire for Self is not the supreme, some other desires motivate us, inspire more than the desire for Self.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 23, 2013, 10:58:55 AM »
One needs life's experiences so long one truly gets true understanding. Only when one has gained [dawned] steady knowledge of [yathaartham] reality, one can can truly engage in the sadhana of [becoming] the [understanding].

The Yathartham, the true understanding here is the absolute conviction of the supremacy of God or Self over every other things. This understanding is that attainment [dawn] that it is only the desire of experience Self (or the surrender to God) that is permanent and absolutely nothing else. It is that understanding which gives birth to the absolute conviction of desire of Self, over every other desires.

In that understanidng, the desire of Self or God stands at the top, before every other desires.

Quote from Bhagavan :

Unless intellectually known, how to practice it? Learn it
intellectually first, then do not stop with that. Practise it.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 23, 2013, 11:05:37 AM »
Stray thought...

contd.

We should like God or Self the most. We should like God or Self more than anything else.

Hence it follows, as our scriptures have advised, that in-order to nurture this liking, engage in worship:

• shravanam - Listening to the Lord's stories, Leelas and Mahimas.
  • kIrtanam - Singing the glories of the Lord's Name.
  • smaranam - Remembrance of Lord's Name.
  • pAda sEvanam - Service to the Lotus Feet of the Lord.
  • archanam - Worship of the Lord.
  • vandanam - Salutation of the Lord.
  • dAsyam - Master and Servant Relationship like the one between Sri Rama and Hanuman.
  • sakhyam - Companionship of the Lord.
  • Atma nivEdanam - Offering oneself to the Lord in complete self-surrender.

All secret lies in the steadfastness. Nurture that sincerity-spirit, to get immersed completely, these acts nurture the desire for God and Self quickly and exactly to the proportion of our steadfastness.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 04, 2013, 04:01:28 PM »
One should pray to God with a longing heart.
God certainly listens to prayer if it is sincere.
There is no doubt about it.

(The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna)

Friends, a cousin of mine has been diagnosed with brain tumor and is scheduled to undergo a surgery over the next week. He is just about 32/33 years old and has a small child of just about 5/6 years old. The family is going through a tough time, and i lay this, what is there in my mind at the Lord's feet, by these expressions, to grant my cousin, his wife and the family the strength, courage, patience and wisdom at this critical time and that he may have a successful surgery.

I deeply thank you all in advance and grateful for any of your heart felt responses acknowledgements and prayers.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:08:58 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 04, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

I wish and pray to Sri Bhagavan to have His blessings for successful surgery of your cousin's tour and to make him well.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 04, 2013, 05:39:19 PM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj,

I am Very sorry to hear about Your cousin! I will pray from all my heart to Bhagavan for him,for his familly and You,to pass through this though time with strenght,courage and faith. I truly,and sincerly hope that he will be fine and healthy again,and that will soon come back to his familly.
May Bhagavan give him All Grace,Blessings and Love!!!

Dear Father,

The moonlight comes to release me from darkness.
The Sun comes to give me light.
The seasons come to yield me food.
Thou dost cause them to do this.
I Bow to Thee!

Thou Art the cause of everything,
I Bow to Thee!

Pharamhansa Yogananda

Thou art Our Father, our Mother, our dear Friend.
Thou bearest the burden of the world.
Help us to bear the burden of our lives.
Thou art our Friend, our Lover, our Husband,
Thou art ourselves!

Swami Vivekananda

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 04, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »
Dear Nagarajji,

My prayers are with your family. May Sri Bhagavan's blessings be on your cousin and his family.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 04, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »
Dear Nagaraj

I will do my best to support the healing / recovery of your cousin through my daily prayers .In fact I am writing this after finishing my evening prayers . I have full faith in the power of prayers especially collective prayers and I will do my best to contribute in the collective healing .
BTW last month I opened a separate thread on Adi Shankara's Vaidyanatha Ashtakam and I have given the youtube links as well as the text and meaning of the same .It is a very powerful hymn addressed to Lord Vaithyanantha to heal any form of aliments . I suggest all the people in your family chant the same .
Here is the link to the thread on Sri Vaidyanatha Ashtakam .

Sri Vaidyanatha Ashtakam - for removal of fear of death and cure of diseases
http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7501.0
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 04, 2013, 08:00:15 PM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj,

I feel for the family and understand its pain and agony when one of its young member is to soon undergo surgery for such a fatal sickness as brain tumour. I pray to Sri Bhagwan for the success of the impending surgery and speedy recovery of your cousin.  I also pray for His Grace so that you and other family members may have the inner strength to tackle and come out of the difficult situation with equanimity.

Pranam,
  Anil

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 06, 2013, 09:46:05 AM »
Dear Friends,

Thanks so much, all your words of reassurances and prayers. They mean a lot to me as i realise that the members here are definitely intense and  all your prayers mean a lot, my only wish being in some way, be of some help to the family so that they are able to pass through this tough time to the better. I realised the best thing one could possibly do is to just pray. I thank each and every member from my heart as the doctors confirmed that the tumor is non cancerous, which itself is half a battle won, which was greatly feared and prayerfully hoped it be not that!

Thank you so much friends, pray, i am sure, with your prayers and wishes, that the surgery goes well without creating any aftereffects and successfully.

with prayers,

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 06, 2013, 01:09:36 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

The very discovery that the tumor is non-cancerous removes 75% risk in the surgery. I am sure with Sri Bhagavan's Grace,
your cousin will be operated upon successfully and then he recovers fast to normal life.

Arunachala Siva. 

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 06, 2013, 01:21:12 PM »
Nagaraj

Happy to note that the tumor is non cancerous .Anyway we need to continue with the prayers so that he comes back completely cured and back to normal health . Keep us updated about his progress .
Om Peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 13, 2013, 10:25:16 AM »
What is being still, it is complete cessation of the movements of the Vritti, or movements of mind or thoughts. Being still is truly peaceful and thoughtless awareness. I contemplate and also feel that yes, it is definitely possible to engage in activities perfectly being still. But i do note that when we are being still, we will ourselves will not engage in any activities by ourselves, other than those activities that present themselves before us, that cannot be ignored.

I discern that perfectly being still, the only movements that go on are only two, one is the breath which goes on rhythmically and ones heart beat, both are beyond the scope of our own volition. Apart from these activities, any other activities that may happen, happens only at the volition of ourselves, and immediately one ceases from being Still. This also indicates that we are still bound in the hands of certain activties for ourselves, one is unable to just be still.

They are because of Vasanas or tendencies, what pulls us out from Being Still? wanting to correspond with somebody, even about Self Enquiry, or engage in some activity. Surely in these moments one is not being still, as these activities have not presented naturally, but they originate from our own volition.

Now, The Sage has said that whenever we cease from being still, that is the birth of 'I' that takes birth in order to engage in some activity, we are asked to trace the source of this 'I' that has just take birth.

Now, it is said so that we enquire the source of this 'I' back to its source which is being still. This may continue for some time, and again this cycle of the 'I' taking birth repeats again and again and again. And we feel, we should trace this back everytime the I takes birth.

Why the 'I' is taking birth after all, in spite of repeatedely nurturing ourselves in tracing back this wonderous I? because we are not sorting out the real problem, unless the tendencies are completely eradicated, the I will keep taking birth in order to fulfill its purpose.

Bhagavan said "“All the age-long vasanas (impressions) carry the mind outwards and turn it to external objects. All such thoughts have to be given up and the mind turned inward.”"

Are we truly doing this? it is observed (each one, each case) that no, we are not really doing it with integrity, we are feeling and concluding in the lines that whenever the I takes birth we will trace it back.

Truly if we genuienly discern, the real activity that presents itself naturally before us, is almost negligible, majority of activities we are involved in only out of our own volition, being unable to remain still or even carry out Self Enquiry for the said purpose with truest integrity.

This means, Rajo Guna is predominant. Without Rajo Guna, one cannot perform any activity. IT is a natural response that here, we try and reduce those activities that are the result of our own volition by avoiding it and help ourselves as much as possible to not leave any traces of temptations that may compel the 'I' to break from its tapas. Neither being Still, nor indulging in the activity desired by our volition, results in vritti, movements of thoughts without serving its purpose, mental brooding. If there is a weapon before a child, who is very curious, it is wise to throw the weapon out of the vicinity of such a child, that the child may now be free from any thoughts regarding that weapon, of that desired activity. This helps the 'I' get back and reconcile itself knowing, now that activity is beyond my reach, even if it wants to, it cannot get to its goal, it gives up. slowly this tendency will permanently vanish.

Take away TV from the 'I', it gives up, take away, books from 'I' it gives up eventually, take away bike and money, it gives up slowly coming to terms with yathartham fact.

Now, here it is important, we do not give any room to ourselves to develop any new activity. if newspaper is before it, it will aspire to feed on it and so on.

Similarly, the 'I' would want to feed on the taste of food, it will keep making activities for its survival, the life of brahmacharya has it that one should avoid eating junk foods, and external foods, so adopting this discipline the 'i' has to reconcile and give up eventually,

keeping the body supple is a great help, or the I will try and feed on those activities to enjoy the luxuris from body, and so on.

Therefore, it is wise, to have a regulation, The life of a Brahmacharya, be it a woman or man, or a householder, is a very very wise tool to facilitate one to pursue Self Enquiry or Being Still eventually.

personal musings. thank you.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:30:56 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 14, 2013, 09:42:36 AM »
ಅರ್ಚನೆ ಜಪ ಧ್ಯಾನ ಯಾತ್ರೆ ಮನದ ಸ್ಥಿತಿಗೆ |
ಚರ್ಚೆ ತರ್ಕ ವಿಚಾರ ಮತಿಯ ವಿಶದತೆಗೆ ||
ಪೆರ‍್ಚಿದ ತಪೋಯೋಗಯಜ್ಞಾದಿಯಾತುಮದ |