Author Topic: my musings  (Read 183627 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: my musings
« Reply #210 on: October 15, 2012, 10:29:49 AM »
What does the Gita say? Arjuna refused to fight. Krishna said, “So long as you refuse to fight, you have the sense of doership. Who are you to refrain or to act? Give up the notion of doership. Until that sense disappears you are bound to act. You are being manipulated by a Higher Power. You are admitting it by your own refusal to submit to it. Instead recognise the Power and submit as a tool. (Or to put it differently), if you refuse you will be forcibly drawn into it. Instead of being an unwilling worker, be a willing one. “Rather, be fixed in the Self and act according to nature without the thought of doership. Then the results of action will not affect you. That is manliness and heroism.”

(Sri Bhagavan)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
ArAdhanA of srI candrashEkhara bhAratI swAmijI
« Reply #211 on: October 15, 2012, 10:52:33 AM »
mahAlayA amAvAsya day. The swAmijI was up at an early hour that morning. He woke up mahAbala bhatTA and told him, "Get ready. Let us go to the river for a bath". Even before the poor bhatTA got ready, the swAmijI had descended the steps of his residence and was waiting for him. As it was the rainy season and as it would be quite cold at the early hour, hot water for the saint's bath inside his residence had been arranged. bhatTA made this known to the swAmijI. But the jagadgurU replied, "Ins't today a punya divasa?". So saying he moved unmindful of the drizzle. The assistant ordered rAmaswAmi, the swAmIjI's attendant, to bring the saint's change of clothes and hurried along with a lantern in one hand nad the fan-pad umbrella in another.

By the time rAmaswAmi reached the river bank, the swAmijI was descending the river steps. He went slowly into the waters of the river, stood in waist deep water, had a dip and stood up. He went up the steps and sat in padmAsanA on a nearby stone slab for his prAnAyAmA. mahAbalA entered the water, turned his back on the swAmijI and started washing his clothes. Hardly had bhatTA started his task when he heard a loud thud and saw the splash of water. He saw the swAmijIin padmAsanA floating on the water. In a split second bhatTA jumped in, swam briskly, caught hold of the body and shouted for help. As he was swimming against the current with the swAmijI's body on his back he screamed and shouted over and over again. kEshavAchArI who had just arrived on the bank dived in and assisted bhatTA. On reaching the bank the swAmijI's body still in padmAsanA porture was deposited on the ground. The radiance of his face was still a glow and the smile on the lips and peace and contentment of the being were quite fresh and lovely. It was icChA maraNA, one he had achieved by arresting his prAnA.

The day was September 26, 1954, mahAlaya amAvAsyA day, which is today, the ArAdhanA of srI candrashEkhara bhAratI swAmijI, sRungErI.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
shUnya sampAdanE
« Reply #212 on: October 15, 2012, 11:22:46 AM »
The vIrashaivAs have this great saying, that in ones life one has to achieve shUnya sampAdanE - literally, meaning, one has to earn nothing, that is to become literally zero, which is the hallmark of humility, that is the real earning!

‘Anubhaava,’ or collection of experiences, is the foundation of Shoonya Sampadane. shUnya ” in Kannada (sanskrit) is zero or nothing. In the vachanas of sharanas, shUnya is ‘balayu’ – void or nothingness. However, shUnya encompasses everything. shUnya here, is equal to Shiva, the Universal Soul, the Absolute. ‘Sampadane’ means to earn (as in earn a living). In the context of this literature, then, sampAdane is the building of experiences to merge in sublime union with the Ultimate Soul. That is the entire purpose of jiva or individual soul according to the Veerashaiva philosophy. It is the union of individual soul and the Ultimate soul that is Shiva --- the Absolute, the Void, the Shoonya. The earning (sampadane) of that union with shoonya then, is Shoonya Sampadane. Shoonya Sampadane is the record of this attainment by the 12th century sharanas.

Even today, in traditional kannadA houses, they use this saying for those who boast of great life and achievement, what is achievement so long one is able to earn shUnyA, nothing.

The mighty God almighty, who shines like thousands of Sun's put together, puts me into absolute nullity, zero! when i think about others, how can i really know those, who are earnestly practicing and those who are not earnestly practicing their spiritual practice. what is one man's poison is another man's nectar, but for the one who sees God in everything, apart from one self, the whole world is filled with jIvanmuktA's. the whole world is gurU. To that visible and invisible gurU, i prostrate and surrender, and allow myself to be burnt.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:32:19 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 15, 2012, 11:39:04 AM »
Nagaraj,
What a Great soul!Thanks for posting.I saw a 3 volume set of Bhakta's reminiscences on Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati called Guru Krupa Vilasam.Have you come across this Set?
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 15, 2012, 12:09:07 PM »
Sri Ravi, i keep visiting the sringEri maT here, these volumes are available in tamil. I am sure if they have an English rendering of the same.  Many other books have been out of publication for long time. At the blessings and instructions of srI bhAratI thIrtha swamigal, they are reviving and re publishing many books. I also heard many books are available at the vidyAtIrthA foundation, chennai. There could be a possibility, that it may be available there.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
having made a noble veena
« Reply #215 on: October 16, 2012, 05:09:18 PM »
நல்லதொர் வீணை செய்தே- அதை
நலங்கெடபுழுதில்எறிவதுண்டோ?
சொல்லடி, சிவசக்தி--எனைச்
சுடர்மிகும் அறிவுடன் படைத்து விட்டாய்,
வல்லமை தாராயொ-இந்த
மாநிலம் பயனுற வாழ்வதற்கே?
சொல்லடி சிவசக்தி!-நிலச்
சுமையென வாழ்ந்திடப் புரிகுவையோ?

விசையுறு பந்தினைப்போல்-உள்ளம்
வேண்டிய படிசெலும் உடல்கேட்டேன்.
நசையறு மனம்கேட்டேன்-நித்தம்
நவமெனச் சுடர்தரும் உயிர்கேட்டேன்.
தசையினைத் தீசுடினும்-சிவ
சக்தியைப் பாடும்நல் அகம்கேட்டேன்.
அசைவறு மதிகேட்டேன்- இவை
அருள்வதில் உனக்கேதுந் தடையுள்ளதோ?

பாரதியார்

having made a noble veena
Would it be thrown in a garbage?
Answer me oh Goddess
Why create me with a sparkling wisdom?
Wont you give skill and brilliance to make
myself lead a purposeful life
Answer me oh Goddess
will you make my life live as a
burden to the land I stand on ?

Like a moving ball - Give me a body
that moves in any way my mind directs
Give me a untarnished mind - and a
life that would light up life
Give me the drive to sing about
sivasakthi long after this body is burnt
And gimme an immovable confidence - Do you
have any problem in granting this?

bhAratiyAr
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:14:40 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 16, 2012, 05:27:04 PM »
Nagaraj,
Wonderful poem of mahAkavi!
I find this translation by centhil quite good:

Having crafted a wonderful Veena - will thou
spoil and consign it to dust?
Tell O' Goddess - I have
been created with wisdom by thee,
Won't you give me the strength - for me
to live a life fruitful to this land?
Tell me O' Goddess - will thou
make me live as a burden off this land?

Like a swiftly thrown ball - a body
ready to spring on brain's command I ask.
Spotless mind I ask - a life
born anew daily I ask.
Even when the Flesh is on fire - a heart
that sings thy praise I ask.
Unshakeable wisdom I ask - Is there
any obstacle that stops thee from bestowing these?

It is the Divine Mother's Veena,and bharatiyar is questioning her seeming 'indifference'!Wonderful song.What a Great soul!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 16, 2012, 05:33:41 PM »
Thank you Sri Ravi, i was struggling so hard with the translation, i found and was trying to nearly better it with little avail. thank you.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 16, 2012, 05:39:21 PM »
Nagaraj,
How I wish to share these poems of mhAkavi here.Yes,it is not easy to translate these verses full of verve,vigour,passion,inspiration,jnAna,what not.I wish to share Kannan,My Servant!May be sometime ,do not know when.
Best Regards...Ravi

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2012, 09:34:36 PM »
“The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.”

(Buddha)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 19, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »
The Sun sees everything;
But can he witness the beauty
Of his own rising and setting?

The Self is self-illuminating;
Therefore, there is no other cause
For His seeing Himself
Than Himself.

(jnAnEshwar)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 22, 2012, 09:33:55 AM »
Perfect Jnanis have always and will always say, "By the mere Grace of the Sadguru, the Ture Thing the final Brahma-Jnana, which shines in the pure Silence, the rarely attainable Vedanta will dawn of its own accord in the heart as I'-I'."

(Guru Vachaka Kovai, 287)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 22, 2012, 11:06:57 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Very much yes. Perfect Jnanis always say that Grace alone has conferred me self realization. What did I do to
attain it?

Manikkavachagar says in Tiruvecharavu, (cleaning up the objective consciousness) suttaRivu ozhitahal, Verse 10:

நானேயோ தவஞ் செய்தேன் சிவாயநம எனப்பெற்றேன்
தேனாய்என் அமுதமுமாய்த் தித்திக்குஞ் சிவபெருமான்
தானேவந் தெனதுள்ளம் புகுந்தடியேற் கருள்செய்தான்
ஊனாரும் உயிர்வாழ்க்கை ஒறுத்தன்றே வெறுத்திடவே. 555

What tapas did I do? He told me to chant Sivaya Namah: (I did only that). He came on his own as honey, and nectar,
and on his own entered my Heart, and showered Grace on me. He made me to dislike this flesh covered body and life.
And only remain as Sivam.

Arunachala Siva. 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 25, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »
stray thought....

It is not the question of jnyAnA, but more a question of destruction of vAsanAs, that is important!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 25, 2012, 11:10:16 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Yes. Sri Sankara says in Vivekachudamani: Vasana kshyam moksham.

Arunachala Siva.