Author Topic: my musings  (Read 167442 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Supreme Enlightenment
« Reply #180 on: October 11, 2012, 11:51:59 AM »
"I gained nothing at all from Supreme Enlightenment, and for that very reason it is called Supreme Enlightenment."

(Buddha)

ॐ
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: my musings
« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2012, 11:57:17 AM »
Sri Tushnim,

i just posted this:

"I gained nothing at all from Supreme Enlightenment, and for that very reason it is called Supreme Enlightenment."

(Buddha)

ॐ
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Attitude towards Non-Self
« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2012, 09:50:55 AM »
It is foolish to harbour a deep hatred for the non-self, which is perceived in consciousness through confusion. The mind should not be allowed to wander towards worldly objects and what concerns other people. However bad people may appear to be, one should bear no hatred for them. Both desire and hatred should be eschewed.

(Guru Vachaka Kovai, 488)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2012, 09:56:25 AM »
I gained nothing at all from Supreme Enlightenment, and for that very reason it is called Supreme Enlightenment

So true. Sri Bhagawan and entire Vedanta says the same thing. It is not something new that you gain.
Salutations to Bhagawan

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Mind held till it is dissolved
« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2012, 04:46:27 AM »
तावदेव निरोद्धव्यं यावद्हृदि गतं क्षयम् ।
एतत्ज्ञानंच मोक्षश्च शेषो ग्रन्थस्य विस्तरः ॥

tAvadEva nirOdDavyam yAvadhrudi gatam kShayam
etatjnAnanca mOkShashca sheShO granthasya vistarah

The mind should be held in that state till it is dissolved in the heart (i.e. completely freed from the transformation). This is knowledge and also this is liberation, the rest (scriptural discourse) is only dwelling upon it in detail.

(amritabindu upanishad)

Also to note the previously posted quote by gOrakhnAth is noteworthy! (Given below)

पढ़ि पढ़ि पढ़ि केता मुवा कथिकथिकथि कहा कीन्ह।
बढ़ि बढ़ि बढ़ि बहु धट गया पारब्रह्म नहीं चीन्ह॥

paṛhi paṛhi paṛhi ketā muvā kathikathikathi kahā kīnha
baṛhi baṛhi baṛhi bahu dhaṭa gayā pārabrahma nahīṁ cīnha

Reading, reading, reading – so many have died in this way; they were ceaselessly speaking about it, but did they actually advanced towards their objective? Further and further on, through how many bodies one has to pass without realizing Pāra Brahma?

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2012, 12:22:39 PM »
Friends,

Just re posting some of my own Non-Ramana related responses from the thread "Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough", as Sri Anil Ji, expressed not to use his thread for Non Ramana related articles. Hence I am posting them for my own reference purposes.

Reply #2576 on: October 12, 2012, 04:38:55 PM »
When you read Sastras you will get only Sastra Jnanam.

When you go to competent Guru, as an ardent seeker, you will attain Atma Jnana.

Dear Sir,

The understanding that the Shastras are only limited to Panchangam and Muhurtham is incorrect. Shastas include the Shrutis, ie. the Vedas, the Dharma, that indicate the basic duties of people of different stations. The practice of Shastras moulds a person better.

Like the good parents mould the child with values and principles, so does the Shastras mould the person who is devoted to following them. In the path of spirituality, physical mother will not be of much help other than providing food and care, but the Veda Mata in the form of Shastras guide the person and shows him the proper way that leads one to the path of wisdom, light. One, who is able to perform the Shastra Jnanam knowingly or unknowingly only will lead him the way to his Guru.

Therefore to assume that by reading shastras, one gains shastra jnAnA and if one finds a genuine Guru, one gains atma jnAnA is not reasonable observation. Without shastra jnAnA one will remain incapable of finding a genuine Guru!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2012, 12:24:32 PM »
Reply #2579 on: October 12, 2012, 05:08:24 PM »

Quote from: Subramanian.R on October 12, 2012, 05:04:20 PM
You are not correct. Max Mueller read Sanskrit and even translated Rig Veda.  No doubt he worked for 40 years for this
great job, but what he gained was only a Sastra Jnana. He got a Sanskrit Pandit and learned Sanskrit. But that Sanskrit
pandit was not a competent guru to teach the Truth. Hence had to stop with sastra jnana only. Ganapati Muni was an
expert in all Sastras, but he never gained peace, peace is another name for Self knowledge. This he had to attain only from
Sri Bhagavan.

One cannot learn English only by referring to dictionary. He needs a competent English teacher.

Dear Sir,

I am not competent enough to respond to you, or pass my observation on Max Mular or Ganapti Muni. I would rather stick by my understanding.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2012, 12:26:27 PM »

वेदो नित्यमधीयताम्, तदुदितं कर्म स्वनुष्ठीयतां,
तेनेशस्य विधीयतामपचितिकाम्ये मतिस्त्यज्यताम्।
पापौघः परिधूयतां भवसुखे दोषोsनुसंधीयतां,
आत्मेच्छा व्यवसीयतां निज गृहात्तूर्णं विनिर्गम्यताम्॥ (१)

संगः सत्सु विधीयतां भगवतो भक्ति: दृढाऽऽधीयतां,
शान्त्यादिः परिचीयतां दृढतरं कर्माशु संत्यज्यताम्।
सद्विद्वानुपसृप्यतां प्रतिदिनं तत्पादुका सेव्यतां,
ब्रह्मैकाक्षरमर्थ्यतां श्रुतिशिरोवाक्यं समाकर्ण्यताम्॥ (२)

वाक्यार्थश्च विचार्यतां श्रुतिशिरःपक्षः समाश्रीयतां,
दुस्तर्कात् सुविरम्यतां श्रुतिमतस्तर्कोऽनुसंधीयताम्।
ब्रम्हास्मीति विभाव्यतामहरहर्गर्वः परित्यज्यताम्,
देहेऽहंमति रुझ्यतां बुधजनैर्वादः परित्यज्यताम्॥ (३)

क्षुद्व्याधिश्च चिकित्स्यतां प्रतिदिनं भिक्षौषधं भुज्यतां,
स्वाद्वन्नं न तु याच्यतां विधिवशात् प्राप्तेन संतुष्यताम्।
शीतोष्णादि विषह्यतां न तु वृथा वाक्यं समुच्चार्यतां,
औदासीन्यमभीप्स्यतां जनकृपानैष्ठुर्यमुत्सृज्यताम्॥ (४)

एकान्ते सुखमास्यतां परतरे चेतः समाधीयतां,
पूर्णात्मा सुसमीक्ष्यतां जगदिदं तद्वाधितं दृश्यताम्।
प्राक्कर्म प्रविलाप्यतां चितिबलान्नाप्युत्तरैः श्लिश्यतां,
प्रारब्धं त्विह भुज्यतामथ परब्रह्मात्मना स्थीयताम्॥ (५)

Study the Vedas daily.
Perform diligently the duties (karmas) ordained by them.
Dedicate all those actions (karmas) as worship unto the Lord.
Renounce all desires in the mind.
Wash away the hoards of sins in the bosom.
Recognise that the pleasures of sense-objects (samsar) are riddled with pain.
Seek the Self with consistent endeavour.
Escape from the bondage of ‘home’.

Seek companionship with Men of Wisdom.
Be established in firm devotion to the Lord.
Cultivate the virtues such as Shanti etc.,
Eschew all desire-ridden actions.
Take shelter at a Perfect Master (Sat-Guru).
Everyday serve His Lotus feet.
Worship “Om” the Immutable.
Listen in depth, the Upanishadic declarations.

Reflect ever upon the meaning of the Upanishadic commandments,
and take refuge in the Truth of Brahman.
Avoid perverse arguments but follow the
discriminative rationale of the Sruti (Upanishads).
Always be absorbed in the attitude (bhav) – “I am Brahman”.
Renounce pride.
Give up the delusory misconception – “I am the body”.
Give up totally the tendency to argue with wise men.

In hunger diseases get treated.
Daily take the medicine of Bhiksha-food.
Beg no delicious food.
Live contentedly upon whatever comes to your lot as ordained by Him.
Endure all the pairs of opposites: heat and cold, and the like.
Avoid wasteful talks.
Be indifferent.
Save yourself from the meshes of other peoples’ kindness.

In solitude live joyously.
Quieten your mind in the Supreme Lord.
Realise and see the All-pervading Self every where.
Recognise that the finite Universe is a projection of the Self.
Conquer the effects of the deeds done in earlier lives by the present right action.
Through wisdom become detached from future actions (Agami).
Experience and exhaust “Prarabdha” the fruits of past actions.
Thereafter, live absorbed in the bhav - “I am Brahman” !

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2012, 12:29:44 PM »
Sir,

I am not denying any time, very frequently i also scroll the poems of mAnickavAchakar and the immense feeling that it generates, the bhAvam, it is really impossible to describe. The only thing that comes to my mind is this song:

eppaDi pADinarO
tiruvadiyAr appaDi pADa nAn Ashai koNDEn shivanE
(eppaDi)

anupallavi

apparum sundararum ALuDai piLLaiyum aruL maNi vAcakarum
poruLuNarnDu unnaiyE
(eppaDi)

gurumaNi shankararum arumai tAyumAnArum
aruNagirinAtharum arutjyOti vaLLalum
karuNaikkaDal perugi kAdalinAl urugi kanittamizh sollinAl
inidunai anudinam

I desire to sing of you,
oh Lord Shiva, as your devotees (aDiyaar) sang!

As the saints Appar, Sundararar, Aaludaippillai and
Manivaasagar (MaaNikkavaasagar, a great Tamil poet) sang of
you with knowledge (also of the Truth of Brahman) and
understanding.

As the great teacher Sankara (not a Tamil poet), dear
Thaayumaanavar, Arunagirinathar and ArulJyoti Vallal (a
reference to the poet commonly known as Vallalaar), their
oceans of compassion overflowing (karunaik kadal perugi ),
melting in their love for you(kaadhalinaal urugi), sang of you
sweetly (inidhunai) each day (anudhinam) in chaste tamil words
(kannith thamizh chollinaal), I also wish to sing.

Every words of great saints including Krishna's in the Gits have some verses that convey like the ones you have presented above. But  we should not single out them from the ocean of poems that they have expressed.

I do not understand, why you are so against the shAstrAs? they are nothing big pAndityam or some great Greek literature, the advise of shAstrAs are nothing but simple set of instructions which they lay for everybody to follow for their betterment.

Study Veda means not just studying Vedas, reading Sri Bhagavan's books daily, reading the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, chanting the regular prayers and prostrating before our Puja altar. Attending satsangs, being with the company of the good and spiritual people. going to pilgrimage to Arunachala, going to temples occasionally. Yes, the scriptures lay that everybody ought to perform the nithya karmas, they do not give a reason so as to not perform them unless, one is formally initiated into sanyAsam or be specially instructed as in the case of muruganAr by an authority such as Sri Bhagavan Himself. I understand each one has a personal equation with their Guru and God, and so, due to that love and intuitive communication, one may be convinced from within that one need not perform any nithya karmAs, but that is very personal, which cannot be revealed out to the open, general, is it not Sir? we give out, what is said by the Sages, one has to evolve and be able to decide for oneself, only when each one becomes so ripe, where the least bit of ego is annihilated, that is where perfect humility takes over. Such being the standard, is it not generally wise to remain and carry on with our lives as per the injunctions of our culture? The Karmas have nothing to do with Self Enquiry vichAra of Bhagavan. Atma vichAra has completely to do only with the mind alone. So, why should the limbs fail to carry on with the instructions of scriptures, let the mind be absorbed with the Self, let the body be only engaged in the activities as prescribed by the scriptures?

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »
Nagaraj,
Wonderful Bouquet of Advice by the Great AchArya.There is a wonderful talk in Deivathin kural ,where kAnchi mahAswAmi refers to this opening piece of advice by Sri Bhagavad pAdAL वेदो नित्यमधीयताम् and compares it with grandma Avvaiyar's ஓதாமல் ஒரு நாளும் இருக்கவேண்டாம்(Do not let a single day pass  without chanting the vedas).mahAperiyavA goes on to say that he prefers AvvaiyAr's expression to that of BhagavadpAdAL!Why?He answers charmingly,that when you tell someone 'DO NOT',immediately it catches the attention than when you advise 'Do'!I will try to get hold of this wonderful talk.These 7 Volumes of Deivathin Kural(Voice of the divine)are truly that!There is nothing that is not covered in these Talks of the Great one.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2012, 12:53:47 PM »
Nagaraj,
The song 'eppadi pAdinarO' is By Kavi yogi ShuddhAnanda bhAratiyar;he narrated the genesis of this song to me.It seems that once on being scolded at home for something,he ran way to a nearby temple and sat behind the deity and composed this song!It is wonderfully rendered by the doyen of Carnatic Musicians,smt D K PattammAL.
I have a collection of books gifted by the Kavi Yogi,among them :Sangeethanjali and Jeeva nAdham-a collection of his compositions.I intend sharing those songs he has composed on Sri Ramakrishna,Swami VivekAnanda,Sri bhagavan,Sri Aurobindo using the Google Tamizh Transliterator.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2012, 01:04:35 PM »
Three things thats passing in my mind now, i do not know about rights or wrongs, i listened to my heart. i am not a saint yet.

ஆறுவது சினம்

Home sweet home! everybody is welcome to my home.

மதியாதார் வாசல் மிதியாதே

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 13, 2012, 01:29:31 PM »
Sri Ravi,

Kindly do share (whenever you can) the kAnchi mahAswAmi talks on the subject, it would be really beneficial for my personal self, also thank you for sharing the shudDhananda bharatiyAr's incident, it really touches my heart even more and the song resonates even deeper from within. I am also reminded about the incidents that lead to the composing of kurai onrRum illai song, by sri rAjAji.

with prayers,

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Maithreem Bhajatha
« Reply #193 on: October 13, 2012, 05:27:09 PM »
Maithreem Bhajatha Akila Hrith Jeththreem - Serve with Friendship and Humility, which will conquer the Hearts of Everyone.
Atmavat Eva Paraan api pashyata - Look upon others similar to yourself.
Yuddham Tyajata - Renounce War
Spardhaam Tyajata - Renounce unnecessary Competition for Power
Tyajata Pareshwa akrama aakramanam - Give up Aggression on others' properties which is wrong
Jananee Prthivee Kaamadughaastey - Mother Earth is wide enough and ready to give us all we desire like a Kaamadenu
JanakO Deva: Sakala Dayaalu: - God, Our Father, is very Compassionate to All
Daamyata - So, Restrain yourself
Datta - So, Donate your wealth to others
Dayathvam - So, Be Kind to others
Janathaa: - Oh People of the World
Sreyo Bhooyaath Sakala Janaanaam - May All People of this World be Happy and Prosperous.
Sreyo Bhooyaath Sakala Janaanaam - May All People of this World be Happy and Prosperous.

(kAnchi mahAswAmi)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
giving and receiving of knowledge
« Reply #194 on: October 13, 2012, 06:08:14 PM »
ॐ सह नाववतु । सह नौ भुनक्तु । सहवीर्यं करवावहै ।
तेजस्विनावधीतमस्तु । मा विद्विषावहै ॥
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ॥

saha nAvavatu saha nau bhunaktu saha vIryan karavAvahai
tEjasvinAvadhItamastu mA vidviShAvahai
Om shAntih shAntih shAntih

Om! May Brahman protect us (teacher and student) both! May Brahman nourish us both! May we both acquire energy (as a result of this study)! May we both become illumined (by this study)! May we not hate each other! Om, Peace! Peace! Peace!

This Peace invocation contains many beautiful sentiments, sentiments which have inspired Indian education — secular and religious — for a few thousand years. Teacher and student engaged in the pursuit of knowledge and excellence of character is education. It is a co-operative endeavor between the student and the teacher. The invocation expresses the idea of education as the achievement of knowledge and excellence of character in the context of a harmonious relationship between teacher and student; they are en rapport. The giving and receiving of knowledge leading to the remaking of man depends on the stimulus of such teacher student relationship. The teacher gives and the student receives not only ideas and information, but inspiration as well. In all true education, teacher and student are not mere individuals but personalities. Education, according to the Indian sages, is the lighting of one lamp from another lamp.

In our case, there may not be a teacher, but i believe we have to observe the same fervor!

Infact, in the literal translation, of the above verse, there is no mention of a Guru or disciple!

(Swami Nirvikarananda)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 06:15:51 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta