Author Topic: my musings  (Read 116535 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
mental calmness
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2012, 07:41:43 PM »
"We all know that on days when we are in a good mood, when the whole world seems to be smiling at us, we can accept predicaments or bad news more easily than if our mind is already upset, frustrated or troubled, when the slightest incident might cause us to explode with negative emotions. If we make a habit of being governed by these negative emotions, we will lose our appetite, sleep badly, perhaps become ill, and lose a few years of our life as a result. So mental calmness is very important."

(Dalai Lama)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Transforming Negative Emotions
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2012, 07:44:51 PM »
"Two people have been living in you all your life. One is the ego, garrulous, demanding, hysterical, calculating; the other is the hidden spiritual being, whose still voice of wisdom you have only rarely heard or attended to. As you listen more and more to the teachings, contemplate them, and integrate them into your life, your inner voice, your innate wisdom of discernment, what we call in Buddhism “discriminating awareness,” is awakened and strengthened, and you begin to distinguish between its guidance and the various clamorous and enthralling voices of ego. The memory of your real nature, with all its splendor and confidence, begins to return to you.

You will find, in fact, that you have uncovered in yourself your own wise guide, and as the voice of your wise guide, or discriminating awareness, grows stronger and clearer, you will start to distinguish between its truth and the various deceptions of the ego, and you will be able to listen to it with discernment and confidence."

(Sogyal Rinpoche)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Despondency
« Reply #152 on: October 06, 2012, 07:50:21 PM »
If there is a remedy when trouble strikes,
What reason is there for despondency?
And if there is no help for it,
What is the use of being sad?

So come what may, I'll never harm
My cheery happiness of mind.
Depression never brings me what I want;
My virtue will be warped and marred by it.

(Nagarjuna)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Discovery of Dharma
« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2012, 07:53:55 PM »
Assailed by afflictions, we discover Dharma
And find the way to liberation. Thank you, evil forces!

When sorrows invade the mind, we discover Dharma
And find lasting happiness. Thank you, sorrows!

Through harm caused by spirits we discover Dharma
And find fearlessness. Thank you, ghosts and demons!

Through people's hate we discover Dharma
And find benefits and happiness. Thank you, those who hate us!

Through cruel adversity, we discover Dharma
And find the unchanging way. Thank you, adversity!

Through being impelled to by others, we discover Dharma
And find the essential meaning. Thank you, all who drive us on!

We dedicate our merit to you all, to repay your kindness.

(Gyalwa Longchenpa, source: SoultoSpirit.com)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Anger begins when...
« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2012, 08:00:15 PM »
"When reason ends, then anger begins.
Therefore, anger is a sign of weakness."

(Dalai Lama)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Patience
« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2012, 08:03:03 PM »
"Some people feel patience is showing weakness or pessimism.

But, actually, patience shows the strength and clarity of mind, which are based on wisdom and compassion. Without proper wisdom and compassion, one cannot practice patience."

(Khenpo Konchog Gyaltsen Rinpoche)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
How to take insults
« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2012, 08:08:31 PM »
On one occasion, the Buddha was invited by one person for alms to his house. As invited, the Buddha visited the house of the person. Instead of entertaining Him, the person poured forth a torrent of abuse with the filthiest of words. The Buddha politely inquired:

"Do visitors come to your house, good person?"
"Yes," he replied.
"What do you do when they come?"
"Oh, we prepare a sumptuous feast."
"What do you if they refuse to receive the meal?"
"Why, we gladly partake of them ourselves."
"Well, good person, you have invited me for alms and entertained me with abuse which I decline to accept. So now it belongs to you."

The Buddha did not retaliate but politely gave back what the person had given Him. Retaliate not, the Buddha advised.

"Hatred does not cease through hatred but through love alone they cease."

(Akkosa Sutta)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Taming the mind
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2012, 08:12:38 PM »
"Just hearing about patience does not mean you are experiencing it now or will easily develop it. To lay the ground for training the mind, you must first tame the mind. To tame the mind, it is extremely important to do the basic shamata [tranquility meditation, calm abiding] practice, which develops calmness and tranquility. Then you can add the practice of patience, understanding the benefits of patience and reminding yourself to take advantage of the available antidotes."

(Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Hell is not punishment
« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2012, 08:35:18 PM »
Hell is not punishment,
it's training.

(Shunryu Suzuki)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Seven Good Qualities
« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2012, 08:38:57 PM »
Seven Good Qualities

- Have faith
- Have moral shame
- Have fear of misconduct
- Be proficient in learning
- Be resolute
- Be mindful
- Be wise

(Buddha)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Transforming Anger
« Reply #160 on: October 06, 2012, 08:46:05 PM »
Mahatma Gandhi provides a perfect example of how anger can be harnessed. As a young, unknown, brown-skinned lawyer traveling in South Africa on business, he was roughly thrown from the train because he refused to surrender his first-class ticket and move to the third-class compartment. He spent a cold, sleepless night on the railway platform.

Later, he said this was the turning point of his life: for on that night, full of anger because of this personal injustice, as well as the countless injustices suffered by so many others every day in South Africa, he resolved not to rest until he had set those injustices right. On that night he conquered his anger and vowed to resist injustice, not by violence or retaliation, but through the loving power of nonviolent resistance, which elevates the consciousness of both oppressed and oppressor.

We may never be called on to liberate a people or lead a vast nation, but Gandhi's example can apply in a small way in our own lives, when we decide to return goodwill for ill will, love for hatred, in the innumerable little acts of daily life.

"I have learned through bitter experience the one supreme lesson to conserve my anger, and as heat conserved is transmuted into energy, even so our anger controlled can be transmuted into a power that can move the world."

(Mahatma Gandhi)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: my musings
« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2012, 07:27:29 AM »
Nagaraj/Friends,
The wise Grandma avviyAr in her aathichoodi has said all the basics and these are of immense value to all.
1.அறம் செய விரும்பு Desire to practise Dharma.see the emphasis on 'Desire'.If this desire is nurtured it will automatically issue out in action someday or other!She is not saying-அறம் செய் (Perform Dharmic deeds).

2. ஆறுவது சினம் Anger cools .She is not saying 'cool down anger'.She is saying that if we do not do anything,it just cools!This means ,not to perpetuate it by dwelling on it.Just like boiling water cools down if we take the pot off the stove and we do not have to make any effort to cool it.Just take it off the stove and let it cool.
Similiarly,just attending to what we need to do next and the anger cools off!

3.இயல்வது கரவேல் Do not hold back The Help you are capable of rendering.

4.ஈவது விலக்கேல் -Prevent not Giving(of charity)

5.உடையது விளம்பேல்-Advertise not what you possess.This is very important.
Sri Nochur venkatraman in his talk 'guru Kripa vilasam' narrated a very wonderful story of the Great Saint EknAth maharaj.Eknath was utterly humble and served his guru JanArdhana swami for over 12 years.JanArdhana swami worked in the King's palace and yet was a Realized Guru.So selfless was Eknath's devotion to his Guru,that a thought arose in the Guru that he should give 'something' to eKknath.JanArdana swami was in DhyAna Sthithi,and a spontaneous thought arose in him that Eknath should get Darshan of Adi Guru Dattatreya.Eknath at that time was away, had gone for a bath in the River.Through his intuitive powers janArdana Swami knew that Eknath should have been immediately blessed with the vision of Lord dattatreya.Eknath came back from his bath and went about his services in the usual way.The Guru did not see any elation or other signs in his face.He asked Eknath-'Did you have vision of Adi Guru DattAtreya?'.'yes' said EknAth 'He gave me darshan when I was having a bath in the river'!Sri Nochur said that Eknath was steeped in JnAna that in that ocean,even the Darshan of adi guru dattatreya did not cause a ripple and he reported it only when his Guru asked!Sri Nochur then narrated how Naren(Swami Vivekananda)asked Sri Ramakrishna that he Naren did not get any extraordinary experiences whereas several others present had had bhAva samAdhi experiences,and some have swooned in ecstacy.Sri Ramakrishna told him that when a Elephant enters a Lake ,the water splashes all around but if it enters a Big River ,there may not be any ripple even.Sri Ramakrishna told him that was the case with Naren and the reason for his not feeling anything.(Swamiji was a Siddha Purusha by birth-ravi).This is a Great lesson for not parading our experience,which is nothing substantial anyway.

6.ஊக்கமது கைவிடேல்:Let go not Zeal.

7.எண் எழுத்து இகழேல்:Despise not Thinking and Learning.

8.ஏற்பது இகழ்ச்சி:Acceptance (of alms) is Despicable.

9.ஐயம் இட்டு உண்:Offer(Without being asked-This is what is called Aiyam.Pitchai is that which is given after being asked for)and then Eat.

10.ஒப்புரவு ஒழுகு:Live in Harmony

11.ஓதுவது ஒழியேல்:Do Not give up Chanting(Vedas,Mantras,prayers)

12.ஔவியம் பேசேல்:Be not Jealous.

13.அஃகஞ் சுருக்கேல்:Lower not the Measure of Grains(In olden days Grains sold used to be measured not in weight but through volume.Perhaps in today's context, avvaiyar may talk about Petrol or Diesel sold in the Station outlets!).In short,Be fair in your dealings.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2012, 07:35:36 AM »
Nagaraj/Friends,
This passage occurs in The gospel of Sri Ramakrishna thread for today:

Difficulties of preaching

MASTER (to Vijay): "The task of a religious teacher is indeed difficult. One cannot teach
men without a direct command from God. People won't listen to you if you teach without
such authority. Such teaching has no force behind it. One must first of all attain God
through spiritual discipline or some other means. Thus armed with authority from God, one
can deliver lectures

"After receiving the command from God, one can be a teacher and give lectures anywhere.
He who receives authority from God also receives power from Him. Only then can he
perform the difficult task of a teacher

"An insignificant tenant was once engaged in a lawsuit with a big landlord. People realized
that there was a powerful man behind the tenant. Perhaps another big landlord was
directing the case from behind. Man is an insignificant creature. He cannot fulfil the
difficult task of a teacher without receiving power direct from God."

VIJAY: "Don't the teachings of the Brahmo Samaj bring men salvation?"
MASTER: "How is it ever possible for one man to liberate another from the bondage of the
world? God alone, the Creator of this world-bewitching maya, can save men from maya.
There is no other refuge but that great Teacher, Satchidananda. How is it ever possible for
men who have not realized God or received His command, and who are not strengthened
with divine strength, to save others from the prison-house of the world?

"One day as I was passing the Panchavati on my way to the pine-grove, I heard a bullfrog
croaking. I thought it must have been seized by a snake. After some time, as I was coming
back, I could still hear its terrified croaking. I looked to see what was the matter, and found
that a water-snake had seized it. The snake could neither swallow it nor give it up. So there
was no end to the frog's suffering. I thought that had it been seized by a cobra it would have
been silenced after three croaks at the most. As it was only a water-snake, both of them had
to go through this agony. A man's ego is destroyed after three croaks, as it were, if he gets
into the clutches of a real teacher. But if the teacher is an 'unripe' one, then both the teacher
and the disciple undergo endless suffering
. The disciple cannot get rid either of his ego or
of the shackles of the world. If a disciple falls into the clutches of an incompetent teacher,
he doesn't attain liberation."

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 07, 2012, 09:37:25 AM »
Food for thought, Sri Ravi. Thank you!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 07, 2012, 09:52:03 AM »
This one thing Sri Nochur says quite often:

guravo bahavah santi sishya-vittapaharakah, durlabhah sad-gurur devi shishya-santapaharakah

"There are many gurus who plunder the wealth of their disciples but those gurus are very rare who actually take away the miseries, distress and sufferings of their disciples by imparting actual knowledge."

We all need a Guru, a physical Guru in some form, at whose feet, our unknown ego can sink into nothingness. Very rare are ones who may not require a Guru in physical form. We must submit, confide to at least an elder learned person, so as to not get carried away, atleast until when the Guru graces us.

Actually, all these, knowledge is also one kind of Siddhi, most get carried away by this Siddhi and tend to forget the true goal. One can transcend the Anima Garimaadi Ashta Siddhi, but this Knowledge Siddhi is so subtle that it fools even the most sharpest of disciples.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta